As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metastasis, a [mini-Phalla] - Game Over. Mafia Victory.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Was trying to be proactive as a special. Normally wait a day before i contact anyone. Suppose i learned a lesson.

Yup, being proactive means you get to be on the winning team!

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I think that in certain cases, like this, it's best to deceive a player to get them to play to the role.

Like, I'm not sure how, but I would basically tell the rac5s in this that they can't win if converted, because if they can then the best strategy is to contact the mafia ASAP and just swap over.

Hmm. Not sure about that first part.
    Phalla can be such a confusing game just trying to figure out the host's mechanics, much less the roles & other craziness, like an RPG that has hidden rules, kind of.
    Of course, that's what some players love.
    Others don't.
    I'm in the middle.

Secondly, I wish I knew a mafia player that would've converted me.
    Sure, I could reveal in thread and then get voted out by the village, and who could blame them.
    I just didn't see many opportunities to abuse the info.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Well ideally the game is designed so that it isn't broken if one side decides to aggressively play for conversions. I don't think this particular game was the case, though it didn't happen.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going to chime in that I thought all throughout the game that, if I was a RAC protein, I would be trying to get converted ASAP.

In the future, I might have more Rac1s, or make it so that Rac1s died normally like everyone else, but make the main mafia kill count as an attack/conversion, but make you declare if the extra, point-based kill was a kill or a conversion, which does nothing to the WBC. In addition, this method would make seering more desirable.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    The mechanics felt like they'd be fun to play through a second/third/whatever time (with tweaks/minor changes to keep everyone frosty), so they're probably work for Mask. Otherwise, this was one of those that felt like a bit of a cluster the first time.

The only thing to keep in mind is that these type of mechanics scale. If I had 50 or 60 people, my plan actually gets much better and is just as easy, so the village would still have narrowed everything down 3-4 days in, but if the mafia couldn't win for 5-6 days, you'd be toast
    What was the thing that MrT had "not be be cocky, but I thought of everything" was about anyway?

Also, it was nice to see an appearance of the hyperanalytical active phyphor, that's always a treat

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Any game with mechanics I can analyze, I will. Give me numbers to crunch!

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Phyphor, correct me if I'm wrong, but your plan was basically random assignment with mild verifiability?
    Spoit wrote: »
    What was the thing that MrT had "not be be cocky, but I thought of everything" was about anyway?

My point (that I couldn't state before the game) was that random assignment, along with proscribed rules after hitting, would not be enough to almost surely guarantee a village victory because of the previously unknown guard mechanic. People had to network and attempt to centralize information.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yes, you could cross-reference who attacked who. Mafia claims would show up pretty quickly. Accounting for guards all you have to do is split the player list into two or three or whatever and attack segments, I was considering doing that to start with anyway

Phyphor on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote:
    Yes, you could cross-reference who attacked who. Mafia claims would show up pretty quickly. Accounting for guards all you have to do is split the player list into two or three or whatever and attack segments, I was considering doing that to start with anyway
    Wouldn't mafia claims be indistinguishable from RAC1 protein claims?

• Options
    They couldn't ever claim to attack each other or they'd be caught out. You'd need a bit more data but you could isolate a group that never attacked each other, which is rather unlikely to occur randomly. Then you ask them to provide their key to generate their attack sequence. Then they need to look for a bunch of somethings that will generate an attack sequence that avoids all of them

• Options
    With my rudimentary level of statistics intuition, im being told that you'd need atleast several days worth of attacks (if not tens) before any group emerges. Not to mention that people aren't generating data while dead. Im not convinced that that wins the game before all the proteins are gone. Especially since each protein has a ~20% of being converted each night (due to chance of claiming an attack on a mafia)

• Options
    It's certainly not an optimal plan, but it has the advantage of making the mafia uncertain of what to do - they have no idea who is getting attacked, or how many times. It's not based on suspiciousness or anything, so even if they have oneuse guards, the best they could hope to do in the long run is block approximately (% of mafia guarded / average attacks)% of incoming kills

• Options
    I think any situation where you're forcing the proteins to fake claim an attack publicly is handing the game to the mafia.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Well, you don't do it publically unless you have enough data to analyze to solve the entire thing in one night, you do need a more or less trusted person to collect it, which you can get by calling for a bunch of people to attack you

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Once you get a trusted network head you probably don't need that much data. I haven't actually calculated the statistic but I'm guessing only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the white blood cell kill orders went in per night. But even with that Baidol and Phyphor were able to narrow it down to just a few suspects (so few that they were guaranteed victory in 2 days).

It's definitely very powerful with perfect trust, and I think I really underestimated the probability that that would happen. The % of players that have this ability (if it makes it to the main) will definitely be much much smaller than it was here (2/3).

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Man, only 1/3 to 2/3 of the WBC actually used their abilities? What the heck? It's the only thing we had to do all game.

• Options
    Yeah there was a disappointly large number of "no orders" in the spreadsheet...

• Options
    Also, having fully awakened now and rereading the last 4 pages, I agree that their has to be some sort of disincentive for Rac1's not to all just publicly reveal and ask for mafia indoctrination. If that's the easiest way for them to win, the village couldn't possibly have stopped it.

Between this game and the ME game, I've learned conversions have to be handled with the utmost care if you include them in base phalla (a good thing to learn, given my Star Wars work in progress).

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Assuran wrote: »
    Also, having fully awakened now and rereading the last 4 pages, I agree that their has to be some sort of disincentive for Rac1's not to all just publicly reveal and ask for mafia indoctrination. If that's the easiest way for them to win, the village couldn't possibly have stopped it.

Between this game and the ME game, I've learned conversions have to be handled with the utmost care if you include them in base phalla (a good thing to learn, given my Star Wars work in progress).

:shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT?!?

Can I pre-sign up?

edit: oh man, please don't use this as a way to get back at me for this game...

edit2: if you need help with ideas, I would love to help, also.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    They couldn't ever claim to attack each other or they'd be caught out. You'd need a bit more data but you could isolate a group that never attacked each other, which is rather unlikely to occur randomly.

I don't think this is true. With 30 people picking each other randomly, the probability that there exists a group of 4 that hasn't targeted each other after 6 days is nearly 1 (it may actually be 1, I haven't thought through it, just ran simulations and it happened in 5000 out of 5000 trials), even though the probability that any given group of 4 hasn't attacked each other is quite low (around 7%).

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The whole thing with the rac1 proteins revealing to try to get converted is interesting; this actually happened en masse in Color Wheel Phalla, pretty much precluding any chance of a white victory.

One solution I've thought about for games like these is to use Major/Minor Victory conditions.

Basically every player in the game has a major victory condition, the standard village vs. mafia stuff or what have you.

The convertable roles have their default major victory condition, and are told if they are converted they have failed their major victory condition and will receive a minor victory condition.

I think the emotive distinction between receiving a "major victory" and "minor victory" would really help players play to their current win condition. Losing a bit of glory would be enough to stop players from playing against their win condition whilst unconverted, and if you do just randomly get converted you're not going to feel particularly bad about just getting a minor victory at the end of it; it's not really your fault. What do you think?

(It should be noted you wouldn't want to use this system in a game where a player doesn't know they can be converted and thus wouldn't have reason to seek out a conversion).

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT?!?

Can I pre-sign up?

edit: oh man, please don't use this as a way to get back at me for this game...

edit2: if you need help with ideas, I would love to help, also.

What kind of host would I be if I let grudges color my view of who got which roles in a phalla?. I'll let the almighty RNG handle things, with a little help from you guys (i.e. stealing Baidol's ME vote idea).

Though, you will be my next day 1, don't worry about that. ;p

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    That color wheel phalla has three posts worth of rules.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah there was a disappointly large number of "no orders" in the spreadsheet...

I was disturbingly inactive this game, unfortunately. Kind of embarrassing :(. But still fun to berate people in the thread :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Great point Rawkk and I agree!

I think that the fact that deaths were intended to be low and that we lost on day 4 says something about the balance but, it also seems the mafia got a bit lucky in their targeting.

Why did Obi not die on day 1, since that is who I attacked.

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    They couldn't ever claim to attack each other or they'd be caught out. You'd need a bit more data but you could isolate a group that never attacked each other, which is rather unlikely to occur randomly.

I don't think this is true. With 30 people picking each other randomly, the probability that there exists a group of 4 that hasn't targeted each other after 6 days is nearly 1 (it may actually be 1, I haven't thought through it, just ran simulations and it happened in 5000 out of 5000 trials), even though the probability that any given group of 4 hasn't attacked each other is quite low (around 7%).

True, I was thinking more of a main sized game that lasted longer, allows for better connectivity in the graph, though missing days from being dead would also cause this issue... It's not like we're analyzing in a vacuum though, if you want to do it properly you have to treat the game as a directed graph, with the attacks being the edges and manage a Bayesian probability that each vertex is telling the truth. I've been thinking of doing a simulator to account for strategy and partial information, this might make a good test game for that

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Great point Rawkk and I agree!

I think that the fact that deaths were intended to be low and that we lost on day 4 says something about the balance but, it also seems the mafia got a bit lucky in their targeting.

Why did Obi not die on day 1, since that is who I attacked.

we guarded everyone but nirya. we would have needed two hits on any mafia target to go down.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I see, well the ability to pick and choose the powers is a bit...interesting since the game was fairly mechanics based.

More like a build order win than anything.

• Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    ObiFett, welcome to my day 1 redsauce.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    Yeah, I deserve that. You died from attacking me day 1, then I started the wagon to vote you out day 2.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought you had attacked Nirya. I thought I was protecting him.

• Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    I did attack Nirya, mwahaha. My phyphor algorithm keyword was "poop." Just a lucky keyword I guess.

I was actually more surprised that you weren't voted out the day after I came up dead as a WBC. In a very small pool of people (3 at the most, but 2 was more likely), that COULD have been mafia, you start the wagon on one that turns out to be village. Maybe it was my unique perspective, but I wanted to buy ad space on prime time television strongly suggesting to the village that Nirya and you enjoyed long walks on the beach and being mafia.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think people ignored a lot of what I did because I was new. And I made sure to remind people of that a lot. And I acted like I didn't know the mechanics.

But, I thought for sure I was going down after it was revealed you were a villager. I was pleasantly surprised when Void Slayer took the fall AND ended up being a protein.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I think people ignored a lot of what I did because I was new. And I made sure to remind people of that a lot. And I acted like I didn't know the mechanics..

yeah, not gonna let that pass again haha

Steam profile
  • Options
    You basically didn't let it pass this time! You called me out hard.

• Options
    You basically didn't let it pass this time! You called me out hard.

And then changed my attack to Capfalcon thinking you were just being silly and new! Your strategy worked perfectly haha

Steam profile
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yeah smooves death was extra bullshit. I couldnt belive so many people were into double killing a dead guy.

Its despicable.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I tried to get you guys to not do it! Dead men tell useful tales!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    We executed Void Slayer for coming up with the plan in the first place.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Everyone should have followed my vote for ObiFett back on Day 3 or whenever it was that I started playing.

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    We executed Void Slayer for coming up with the plan in the first place.

But I was the one that decided to vote for the dead first, and I put up smoove's name as well.