As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Kyle is still written as Kyle, in my opinion, but they did take him out of his element. He works best as an Earth-based Lantern with occasional space stories.

Although right now there basically are no Earth-based Lanterns. When was the last time we had an entirely Earth-based story?

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    Kyle is still written as Kyle, in my opinion, but they did take him out of his element. He works best as an Earth-based Lantern with occasional space stories.

Although right now there basically are no Earth-based Lanterns. When was the last time we had an entirely Earth-based story?

Well the Brightest Day main GL title was all earth based (granted still with the other lanterns), and (from the covers) the next Green Lantern arc with Black Hand seems to be earth based.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Remember that article from the bitching thread about outing pre-established characters?

Turns out it wasn't as far-fetched as it sounded.
    One question asked at the DC panel today at Kapow, was about Dan’s interview with the Advocate in the USA. Specifically over the decision not to change any character’s sexual orientation when relaunching the DC Universe. At the time Dan stated they would introduce new LGBT characters rather than switch orientation, but the question asked why DC would switch race, size, age, all sorts of identifying features, but not orientation.

Surprisingly, DiDio stated that they had changed DC’s policy in this regard. And they ae about to reintroduce a previously existing DC character who was previously straight and now will be “one of our most prominent gay characters.”

As Bob Wayne explained that, just like the President of the United States, the co-publisher’s policy on this “has evolved.”

And despite his best efforts to stem Dan, we also got the very strong impression that the death of Superman on Earth Two many not have been as final as portrayed…

To be fair, a relaunched universe does allow you to significantly reinterpret characters, so this isn't as bad as just saying that Gambit has been gay all along.

I wonder who they might mean, though. What characters have been MIA since the relaunch?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    My money's on Booster Gold. Or they make Jimmy Olsen gay and Clark can sense that.

Anyone in the Batman or GL universe wouldn't make sense the way they tried to keep that history unchanged.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    My money's on Booster Gold. Or they make Jimmy Olsen gay and Clark can sense that.

That's fine with me. Booster Gold channelling Jack Harkness would be entertaining to read about. It'd also add another layer to his character. Olsen being gay is so obvious I'm surprised DCnU didn't make that the new status quo for him.
    Anyone in the Batman or GL universe wouldn't make sense the way they tried to keep that history unchanged.

IIRC that history has been changed, just not as much as the rest of the universe. They really needed to reboot the whole universe.

• Options
    BG would be cool, but "reintroduce" suggests that the character hasn't shown up in the new DCU yet.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    DC finally reintroduces Wally into the new52, but is introduced as gay.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ted Kord.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Ted Kord.

I'd actually be down with that. It'd add another reason for his stodgy, conservative father to be disappointed with him, as well as a new layer to his friendship with Booster Gold. Plus, it'd mean Ted Kord actually existed, in the New DCU.

That said, it's totally going to be Vibe, which will send me into a fit of laughter so severe, my internal organs will all simultaneously shut down, and exit my body through the nearest available orifice.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If they're bringing out gay characters in full force, I wouldn't mind seeing new versions of Cannon and Saber. Stable super-villain couples are always fun (like with Absorbing Man and Titania), and in their previous portrayals their relationship was neither an afterthought nor a glaring trait that overshadowed everything else. They were amoral, opportunistic killers who happened to love each other.

cannonsaber.jpg

I also like how their origin is basically a weird twist on Romeo & Juliet. Instead of lovesick teens from warring families who die because their parents disapprove, you have star-crossed assassins from rival crime syndicates who resolve their problem by just killing their bosses and taking over their operations.

They just need better costumes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    ....Gardner?

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    A couple of other newsites from Kapow are quoting Bob Wayne as saying the new gay character will be appearing in Batman. Even money on Alfred or Tim Drake.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Alfred? I doubt it.

Drake? Seriously doubt it.

• Options
    they're bringing back Orpheus and making him gay, calling it

• Options
    Alfred would be a really safe choice since most writers never bother describing his personal life. His sexuality would therefore be this minor off-screen element, like Dumbledore's in Harry Potter, an irrelevant trait of a character who's primarily an asexual father figure.

I could see them switching Tim Drake's team, though, since making (a) Robin gay would result in a crazy amount of headlines and help distinguish him from the other Robins. Also, he's a relatively unimportant character in the new DCU and the Batman books, so DC is probably more willing to take a risk with his characterization.

• Options
    Batman doesn't make sense because you already have Batwoman. And Alfred, that just seems really safe and half-assed, the old, sometimes sarcastic british guy is now gay, it's like a bawdy 1970's hospital. I already said why Tim would make more sense in the bitching thread as the completely stoic teen hero like he was before the reboot.

I think with Bunker being the more openly gay character, it makes me think Booster or maybe Ryan Choi, since he's relatively new to change in terms of existing history.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    guys, come on

Orpheus hasn't been seen in years, he's been presumed dead but he could be brought back by the reboot saying he wasn't as injured as it looked in War Games

plus
    Gavin King grew up in Gotham dreaming of becoming a professional dancer and singer. His ambitions made him a target for local bullies, and after one too many beatings, King began studying the martial arts, excelling at them from the start. His father, a TV sports producer, and his mother, a former professional dancer, were very supportive—as long as he completed his college education.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    what i mean is that DC is going to be lazy and make a stereotype.

• Options
    I don't see them bringing back a minor character from several years ago, much less making a fuss about him.

And referencing War Games would go against the anti-continuity approach of the reboot.

• Options
    shhhh

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

let me expect the worst

shhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't see them bringing back a minor character from several years ago, much less making a fuss about him.

I seem to recall that whole spiel about the Rawhide Kid a few years back.

Dunno. This whole thing seems remarkably ham-handed even without anything official yet.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    grant morisson will show up again in animal man

be revealed to be gay

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it turns out that Batman was gay all along

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

be revealed to be gay

That's be hilarious, actually

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

be revealed to be gay

That's be hilarious, actually

damn right it would be

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    They should really throw a curve, and make like Apokalips or a Cosmic entity gay.

edit: err Apok is the planet, brainfarted on Darkseid!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    They should really throw a curve, and make like Apokalips or a Cosmic entity gay.

Something something Boom Tube innuendo.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular

If planet's can have an orientation, my money is on Mogo coming back. Gay. And Apokalips is a total homophobe to him it.

• Options
    No, no.

We need to take this further.

The Speed Force is gay.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    No, no.

We need to take this further.

The Speed Force is gay.

You realize this makes Barry Allen gay by default with Johns' retcon. :lol: That said, I'd like to see Barry gay. It'd give him another layer to his character.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Ralph Dibny is brought back as a gay man, who helps his clueless gal-pal Susan Dearbon in her quest to find love in the big city.

The working title is an onomatopoeia of a strangled howl, ripped straight from Hell.

• Options
    As told to ABC News, June is when a certain male character will play for the other team

They also say major and iconic, which maybe makes the Alfred or Jimmy thing stand out, they are known by everyone.

• Options
    I really, really don't want a gay Alfred. Not because he couldn't be gay or anything, but DC does so damn little with the character at all as it is, I know that as a character trait it wouldn't be used well, and only further write him off, as the older, gay man that lives in Wayne Manor and has no life beyond tending to Batman.

Also, I don't particularly see the point of making a big deal out of revealing a non-Superhero character to be gay in a medium who's primary focus is the Superhero characters. There's something kind of dishonest about it.

• Options
    I really, really don't want a gay Alfred. Not because he couldn't be gay or anything, but DC does so damn little with the character at all as it is, I know that as a character trait it wouldn't be used well, and only further write him off, as the older, gay man that lives in Wayne Manor and has no life beyond tending to Batman.

Also, I don't particularly see the point of making a big deal out of revealing a non-Superhero character to be gay in a medium who's primary focus is the Superhero characters. There's something kind of dishonest about it.

The point is it'd make nice PR for the mainstream to talk about then be left unexplored in depth so the status quo remains intact.

• Options
    I want it to be a villain.

Like, Gorilla Grodd.

Hello Flash? I'm GAY for YOU!

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Brain leaves Monsieur Mallah for Grodd

They compete for his affections

• Options
    edited May 2012
    it could be a superhero, but when you tell ABC news a major character is gay, their spectrum of what is a major character is a lot more limited compared to a comic-con or CBR.

I mean, they probably don't know who Booster Gold is, the big 7 is probably their limit in terms of character knowledge (John Stewart as the iconic character maybe?)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    I'd be up for gay Jimmy Olsen if it also meant that he was going to get his own book.

And I figure that, whoever the gay dude is, he has to have his own book since there needs to be something to promote beyond a cameo appearance in someone else's title.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Well, we know Pied Piper is gay... I didn't really follow The Flash until Manapul started drawing, was that a change?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nope, he has been gay for quite a while

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.