As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft2] CLOSING TIME!! GO TO THE NEW THREAD!!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    With no data to back me up, I'd guess LoL has a bigger fanbase because it's far more accessible and free to play. SC2 is not casual friendly. At all. It's a complicated game, wtih an even more complicated metagame, and has an actual physical bar to entry (APM), where as LoL is click click click QWER.

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    There're also 10x as many casual lol players

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    sc2 viewers are also spoiled by tournaments, imo

I'll watch first person streams to -learn and -support, but I don't really love watching them the way I love watching a casted game. and with the sheer number of casted high level games every day it seems silly to throw on a first person stream most of the time.

I have jinro on right now, muted, because I like Jinro and if I make him 2 cents and it costs me nothing that's awesome. also because he just did a nice rush vP.

I lost my train of thought

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Day9 pretty much makes his living on streaming right? A quick google turns results of him getting around 10k viewers per broadcast. I wonder if that would be a better approach for progamers who want people to turn into their stream, just play a couple of replays of good games and comment what they were thinking.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I have jinro on right now, muted, because I like Jinro and if I make him 2 cents and it costs me nothing that's awesome. also because he just did a nice rush vP.

this is the same reason I despise people who use adblock when watching streams.

it costs you nothing to watch a 30second ad. the only time streamers run ads is between games when there's nothing else to watch anyway. you really want to make sure you get to see them checking teamliquid between games? fuck off.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Neaden wrote: »
    Day9 pretty much makes his living on streaming right? A quick google turns results of him getting around 10k viewers per broadcast. I wonder if that would be a better approach for progamers who want people to turn into their stream, just play a couple of replays of good games and comment what they were thinking.

i want to say that day9 doesn't run ads on his live broadcasts, but I might be wrong there.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet Day9 gets paid quite a bit by Blizzard and MLG when he's casting and I know he's got a huge number of subscribers

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh my god, Hero just trolled Polt like a mofo on his stream. Polt went early mass marines, goy picked apart by stalkers and sentries, and then just got crushed by an upgraded bio army. Hero must have used the /dance command like 10 times at the end.

I may be biased because it literally just happened, but it was one of the most satisfying SC2 games I've seen.

Graviija on
  • Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    TOTALLY unrelated but this is very cool

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=319464

If you check some of his links, you'll find a website that lets you upload your replays in a SC2gears like fashion and it spits out your win/loss %, your workers per minute (wpm) and your unfiltered APM

the real gem is the workers per minute statistic. According to this guys stats, the average Grandmaster player is making about 3.4 workers a minute. The average bronzie? 1.5

Personally, I clocked in with 1.7 workers a minute. I do have a tendency to all in and cut drones, but wow. I didn't think I was THAT bad and that close to bronze level in these terms.

Very cool stuff, imo. I guess when I play macro games now, I will have to work on my worker production, hue

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    does it consider games where you stop making workers because of length?

I hit that point a lot and it feels like it would ruin the entire purpose

edit - he probably addresses this, apologies for my laziness

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Graviija wrote: »
    Oh my god, Hero just trolled Polt like a mofo on his stream. Polt went early mass marines, goy picked apart by stalkers and sentries, and then just got crushed by an upgraded bio army. Hero must have used the /dance command like 10 times at the end.

I may be biased because it literally just happened, but it was one of the most satisfying SC2 games I've seen.
    I just saw that too it was a pretty good game but Hero plays some awful music on his stream.
    Edit: Ok the current song is better so maybe I just caught him at a bad time.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Definitely is a useful statistic. I put in a bunch of my own replays, but did it in a different way. I separated my games into games that are less than 10 minutes, games 10min-20min, and games more than 20 mins.

The results were pretty much as expected - in the games shorter than 10 mins, my workers per minute was mostly 3.4, sometimes 3.3 or 3.5. In games shorter than 20 minutes but longer than 10 mins, it was a bit lower, accounting for the games where I either was able to max out on workers by 12-13 mins, or games where I cut worker production for an attack. Hovered around 2.9-3.0

Without fail, in all of the games over 20 mins, my workers per minute was below 2 because it drags down the average once you stop maknig workers in that lategame scenario.

• Options

he has a seperate graph that shows your worker production as the game goes on

It is a general sloping downwards as players will be making less workers as each game minute passes

it's cool because it will compare your trends to that of bronze-diamond players and those of masters and above

for example, I have a sharp decline in worker production around minute 3 for some reason, moreso than even the bronze-diamond players, but it spikes and sorta evens out near minute 5, then it slopes downward with the rest of the trends.

Masters players also have a dip around minute 3, but not as much as other players and certainly not as much as me. THey have the subsequent spike in worker production after, as well

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    the more I think about it, the more I think that is very very helpful for those new to the game, especially Protoss and Terran newbies. If you take any given 10 minute game, given perfect worker production you should be at 3.5 workers per minute (excepting Zerg)

My standard advice to a lot of newbies looking to improve is - go and watch your replay, and note down times when your nexus is idle, and for how long. and fix those times for the next game.

This tool makes that unnecessary - you can simply plug into the tool and see "oh look, my workers per minute is only 2.3, I must have had an idle nexus for long periods of time"

Watching the replay will still be useful for figuring out when you are most likely to forget to make workers, but the tool is useful for measuring improvement. If you can look at a batch of replays and see that although you are still in (for example) silver, your workers per minute has increased on average from 1.3 to 2.8, you can feel good about that and that helps keep you motivated to keep learning.

metrics for improvement are few and far between in this game, and since the ladder system is designed to keep you winning more or less only half of your games, that means that it can feel sometimes like you aren't making progress.

• Options
    RedOne wrote: »

he has a seperate graph that shows your worker production as the game goes on

It is a general sloping downwards as players will be making less workers as each game minute passes

it's cool because it will compare your trends to that of bronze-diamond players and those of masters and above

for example, I have a sharp decline in worker production around minute 3 for some reason, moreso than even the bronze-diamond players, but it spikes and sorta evens out near minute 5, then it slopes downward with the rest of the trends.

Masters players also have a dip around minute 3, but not as much as other players and certainly not as much as me. THey have the subsequent spike in worker production after, as well

Probably not very useful for Zerg. You'll spike at different times depending on whats happening in the game.

The dip in worker production at 3 mins is likely due to Terran replays. You have to stop making workers when you make your orbital command and that happens around 3mins.
    Also potentially due to Zerg replays where you cut workers to make your hatchery or in Protoss fast expand scenarios.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    metrics for improvement are few and far between in this game, and since the ladder system is designed to keep you winning more or less only half of your games, that means that it can feel sometimes like you aren't making progress.
    I don't really like the whole league system because of this, since your MMR is what they really use I wish they would just show it instead.

• Options
    the more I think about it, the more I think that is very very helpful for those new to the game, especially Protoss and Terran newbies. If you take any given 10 minute game, given perfect worker production you should be at 3.5 workers per minute (excepting Zerg)

My standard advice to a lot of newbies looking to improve is - go and watch your replay, and note down times when your nexus is idle, and for how long. and fix those times for the next game.

This tool makes that unnecessary - you can simply plug into the tool and see "oh look, my workers per minute is only 2.3, I must have had an idle nexus for long periods of time"

Watching the replay will still be useful for figuring out when you are most likely to forget to make workers, but the tool is useful for measuring improvement. If you can look at a batch of replays and see that although you are still in (for example) silver, your workers per minute has increased on average from 1.3 to 2.8, you can feel good about that and that helps keep you motivated to keep learning.

Yes, I think it is a great tool as well and it certainly is an eye opener for just how bad I am at this game. 1.7 workers a minute is almost bronze-scrub tier.

It really gives me an idea of something that I need to work on for the future and that is the most basic macro thing of all: making drones

also, I think because it is workers per minute, it should account properly for the weird drone growth that zerg has. If we make 12 drones and once, then nothing for a few minutes, it should all even out, right? I am not a statistician

I'd love trunker's input on this tool as well, seeing as he seems to have a handle on this sort of thing.

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    Neaden wrote: »
    I don't really like the whole league system because of this, since your MMR is what they really use I wish they would just show it instead.

I very much wish I could see my MMR. I am very much driven by some measurable means of seeing improvement

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    There is a disclaimer on the OP that mentions something about only being able to count attempts to produce a worker rather than actual worker creation, and to avoid problems due to spam, there is a 3second rule, so if you hold down your button i think it only counts as one.

• Options
    There is a disclaimer on the OP that mentions something about only being able to count attempts to produce a worker rather than actual worker creation, and to avoid problems due to spam, there is a 3second rule, so if you hold down your button i think it only counts as one.

oh, interesting

i make all my drones by just highlighting all hatcheries, pressing S, then holding D until I have so many as I need. Maybe pressing D a few more times to make a couple more to get a nice round number or something

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    Think this might be DRG streaming now: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/MVPteam

The MVP stream isn't nearly as organised or well set-up as the IM one, though.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    So what happened in Vari's team vs JustCheese? I need details.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Well, Destiny needs the ad revenue more than say HuK because Destiny will never win a tournament.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Destiny is an extreme outlier in the industry.

I watch Rainbow and KawaiiRice whenever they're streaming because I'm a big fan of both, but neither of them ever gets much over 300 viewers.

Why would they have large numbers for their streams? We'll put aside that 300 viewers is still a large number and just say when compared to other streamers the numbers are low. So? Neither are relevant in tournaments and neither have a personality that makes them unique.

• Options
    @Invictus

I have no idea. The last I heard (and Meeks and Vari seem to also have this information), our team was down 4-3 with Joe K (meeks) and 38th (Vari) still to play. It was possible if 38th won that we would then take it to an ace match.

The other day Kedinik made a post saying that Just Cheese League was facing them in the playoff finals, but that was the first anyone knew of it.

• Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    Think this might be DRG streaming now: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/MVPteam

The MVP stream isn't nearly as organised or well set-up as the IM one, though.
    I was wrong, it's MVPMonster.

• Options
    Right now is a good sample time of when a large number of good players are streaming.

Destiny leads the pack at 4.2k viewers
    followed by
    HerO - 3.5k
    Catz - 1.9k
    then Jinro, Haypro, Incredible Miracle, and KawaiiRice following at around 250-350 each.

• Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Guys I think Jinro should take a break from Korea. Just sayin'.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Me vs kime results

Game 1:
    repimg-33-257958.jpg

Game 2:
    repimg-33-257959.jpg

Game 3:
    N/A

Results:
    Holy fuck did he shred me.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Invictus

I have no idea. The last I heard (and Meeks and Vari seem to also have this information), our team was down 4-3 with Joe K (meeks) and 38th (Vari) still to play. It was possible if 38th won that we would then take it to an ace match.

The other day Kedinik made a post saying that Just Cheese League was facing them in the playoff finals, but that was the first anyone knew of it.

redraptor informed me that JCL defeated Vari's Varis with Joe K and that we will play them in the finals.

I guess Invictus still has not received all the replays he needs.

Speaking of which, have the proxy tossgirls picked a champion yet for the ace match?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ked that's not true according to meeks and joe k within the last 24 hours

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Fuck me dead

I keep assuming I'm ahead and walking my mid-game army around, testing the opponent, when actually he has a tonne of shit and suddenly my army gets shredded.

I really need to crank that paranoia dial back up, like I used to, and never ever assume I am ahead.

• Options
    mEEksa wrote: »
    does anyone know if joe k and 38th actually played their games? I haven't seen any report besides that kedinik said meeks won

Nope, kedinik mentioning that we had won was the first we heard of it. As far as I'm aware Joe still hasn't played his games.
    Joe K wrote: »
    me and 38th havent played yet vari.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    In a less than shocking twist, it appears that I was trolled.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I'm rating above 'masters and above' besides the second minute when I'm making an orbital command

due to that and chrono it's gotta be easier for a protoss to hit a higher number, especially in shorter games

• Options
    Yeah I don't think there's a lot to be gained by comparing workers-per-minute rates between races.

Zerg can make workers in huge spurts and is totally dependent upon the flow of the game. Protoss can vary hugely depending on if they are chronoboosting probes or not, though not as much as Zerg. Terran is probably the closest you can come to "pretty much constant worker production always" but even then, they spend long periods of time at non-peak SCV construction because of orbital transform time.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Fuck me dead

I keep assuming I'm ahead and walking my mid-game army around, testing the opponent, when actually he has a tonne of shit and suddenly my army gets shredded.

I really need to crank that paranoia dial back up, like I used to, and never ever assume I am ahead.

Scouting!

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    In a less than shocking twist, it appears that I was trolled.

you shouldn't feel bad. I certainly didn't think we all had to be on guard about being straight up lied to about the outcomes of these matches.

what a dick move.

• Options
    yeah kedinik I really wouldnt define that as trolling

trolling is, at least on some level, usually a bit amusing.

there's not really much amusing about saying "oh yeah joe k beat 38th" when the games have not even been played

• Options
    edited March 2012
    not sure if everyone has seen this, I hadn't, but it's hilarious

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=302289

edit woops both parts are super old

Variable on