As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I might get that Avengers game since Infinity Blade isn't bad and I was wanting an Avengers-type game for the ipad awhile ago. Win/Win!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hahahaha Little Masters looks exactly like Pokemon

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    "Looks"?!

What the fuck?!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Wild Blood looks great lol!

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    Wild Blood looks great lol!

At first I was O_o at the terrible voice acting... "MY EXCALIBUR SWORD!"

Then the music... :lol:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Obviously this is the best game that came out last night, by Terry Cavanagh who made VVVVVV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Drakerider is made by the creator of the Wild Arms series.
    It also has a world map.
    I think I'll check it out.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Avengers game looks neat, but $7 is too much for me. Waiting on a price drop.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    Downloaded Little Masters. Played it for about 10-15 minutes. I'm not a Pokemon fan so I won't play t any more but my 9 year-old-son almost lost his mind when he saw me playing it. So yeah, I know what he'll be playing this weekend...

I want to download Wild Blood but I have got to finish up the bazillion unfinished games I have. Maybe after I finish Bastion and Horn...

Oh neat! Assassins Creed Utopia where you battle AND build cities? Sounds like there's some multiplayer to it, too:
    http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/assassins-creed-utopia-combines-city-building-and-battles

I wonder if it's like Battle nations?

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    If someone here grabs the Avengers game please post your impressions... Kinda interested in that one as well.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    Obviously this is the best game that came out last night, by Terry Cavanagh who made VVVVVV

I bought it this morning just because it was on sale thanks to your video.
    Big fan of VVVVVV (more specifically, a certain LP of it) and this looks equally nuts.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited September 2012

I bought it this morning just because it was on sale thanks to your video.
    Big fan of VVVVVV (more specifically, a certain LP of it) and this looks equally nuts.

It's brutally hard but you just keep on wanting one more go. I've found that if I play too long I have a real hard time seeing the maze and have better results after a little break. I haven't completed 'Hexagon' (the easiest mode i game entitled 'Hard' difficulty) yet but have managed to last around 51 seconds.

EDIT: make that just over 54 seconds.

The soundtrack is just the best.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Middle Manager of Justice is out, and free.

It has been pulled because it wasn't supposed to be released yet. It looks like it should be pretty entertaining once all of the bugs are ironed out.

Managed to snag the unfinished version and it's already fun, can't wait to see how they make it better.

Also picked up Super Hexagon and it is defeating me in the best way.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    If someone here grabs the Avengers game please post your impressions... Kinda interested in that one as well.

I got it, but I only really had time to play the first fight and look at the character stuff.

It's literally an infinity blade clone, right down to the "look around your environment and tap the big glowing circles to move to a new area or to start a fight." There's a more involved mini-game when "opening chests" (you beat up giant purple crystals that fell from the sky) but it's dead on the same, even the store is very similar.

The one combat I did was kind of janky, but it was the "stop the fight every other attack to give you the next bit of the tutorial"

A big plus is that it seems they got the voice actors from the recent cartoon show, so Fury and Hulk sound like those versions fo the characters.

The store seems to have three main types of items, who's names I've forgotten so I'll just make them up.
    -Boosts (Stuff that like heals you temporaily makes you stronger)
    -Upgrades (You unlock more upgrade slots as you level, I think, and upgrades give you stat boosts so long as you have them equiped)
    -Costumes (I saw Ultimate (Buddha) Hulk, WW Hulk, Savage Hulk and others. They give you a bunch of different stat boosts, but it's oddly arranged by parts of the body (Like head, chest etc. etc.)

I could never get into any of the Infinity-Blade type games. They all seem like glorified quicktime event games. When Epic Citadel came out I couldn't believe my eyes and expected an epic rpg. But it wound up being Infinity Blade, this on-rails looping QTE game. The only game like it that I can sort of get into is Horn (which I still need to finish) since it's at least gone some other stuff to do...

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don't think Infinity Blade (and the clones) are QTE games at all. You aren't prompted to press a certain button at a certain time, you're tasked with reading your opponent's movements to preform the correct dodge or attack. It's really much more like a sophisticated Punch-Out than anything else.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I don't think Infinity Blade (and the clones) are QTE games at all. You aren't prompted to press a certain button at a certain time, you're tasked with reading your opponent's movements to preform the correct dodge or attack. It's really much more like a sophisticated Punch-Out than anything else.

IB does have a QTE mechanic that occasionally pops up after executing a defensive move, but it's not very common. But overall I agree, I never felt like it was a QTE-fest. A little mashy at times, sure, but the gameplay is not nearly as mindless as QTE's.

steam_sig.png
    I never played Punch Out so I unfortunately can't make that comparison. But to me if your opponent is swinging from high left, you have to press the dodge left button and your timing has to be perfect. From the very beginning during the tutorials when the block and dodge buttons lit up at specific times it just "felt" very QTE to me.

You can also parry, do magic, etc. so with all the choices it does become more strategy, but for me personally it was never enough to hold my attention enough to finish either IB 1 or 2. My son, on the other hand loved them and finished them both. And he kicks by butt constantly when we play against each other.

I do love the visuals in both IB 1 and 2. And after seeing video and screens of IB 3 I absolutely can't wait for IB 3.

So is anyone else set to get the iPhone 5 when it finally gets announced (hopefully next week) ?

I'm still using a 3GS and I can't even play some games, let alone benefit from the decent visuals etc

steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I never played Punch Out so I unfortunately can't make that comparison. But to me if your opponent is swinging from high left, you have to press the dodge left button and your timing has to be perfect. From the very beginning during the tutorials when the block and dodge buttons lit up at specific times it just "felt" very QTE to me.

You can also parry, do magic, etc. so with all the choices it does become more strategy, but for me personally it was never enough to hold my attention enough to finish either IB 1 or 2. My son, on the other hand loved them and finished them both. And he kicks by butt constantly when we play against each other.

I do love the visuals in both IB 1 and 2. And after seeing video and screens of IB 3 I absolutely can't wait for IB 3.

My 7-year old just swipes his finger back and forth as fast as he can while playing IB and he seems to do fine. Sure, it's not optimal, but he still wins more often than not. It's like the next generation of button mashing.

edited September 2012
    So is anyone else set to get the iPhone 5 when it finally gets announced (hopefully next week) ?

I'm still using a 3GS and I can't even play some games, let alone benefit from the decent visuals etc
    My contract is up as of last month so I will likely upgrade... not sure I'll pre-order or get one during the initial mad rush, though... that should give me plenty o' time to see how mindblowing or meh the device is that Apple actually unveils next week...

Rothgarr on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm still using a flip-phone that I've been wanting to trade in for a smart phone. Since I have an iPad and Macbook Air, an iPhone seems appropriate.

However, I'm holding out for the release of the 5 so I can pick up a 4S on the cheap.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I'll stick with my 4S until the 6 comes out, most likely.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular

I was all set to until I saw that they were most likely just making the phone longer and not more evenly distributed ala Android devices to reach 4". Probably just going to wait until my Droid X gives up the ghost before upgrading now, and grab whatever seems most worthwhile at that point.

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I know for sure my Dad will be getting a 5 as his first smartphone, and I'll determine whether or not I want to go through the hassle of selling my 4S to buy one after playing with his 5 for a bit.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A 4" screen is really my one remaining wishlist item for the iPhone. I've been hooked on the 4/4.5 inch size ever since I spent a few weeks with a Galaxy S phone a while back. I'll probably pay the upgrade fee and sell my 4S if the iPhone 5 does end up having the larger screen.

• Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Speaking of pinball arcade (or pinball in general), what does an "award lock" mean? It's a prize in Medieval Madness, but I don't know what it does.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Hey guys, got some Scribblenauts Remix codes to hand out.
    Please post if you use one:
    1 - EXLX76THXALX
    2 - 7K37W7EXPRX6
    3 - FLNA6ETT6YNM
    4 - JTAH7AJ9RE3A
    5 - REWE649XJNFX
    6 - WXANJJ77RLR7
    7 - MYPJREM4TAPR
    8 - FNFNNJLHWFP9

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Cormac
    Bullio wrote: »

I was all set to until I saw that they were most likely just making the phone longer and not more evenly distributed ala Android devices to reach 4". Probably just going to wait until my Droid X gives up the ghost before upgrading now, and grab whatever seems most worthwhile at that point.

Just to clarify something (and assuming the rumors are true), they'd be elongating it to bump it up to 4", but that would just change the aspect ratio to 16:9, which is what most(?) Android phones use anyway.

1 - EXLX76THXALX
    2 - 7K37W7EXPRX6
    3 - FLNA6ETT6YNM
    4 - JTAH7AJ9RE3A
    5 - REWE649XJNFX
    6 - WXANJJ77RLR7
    7 - MYPJREM4TAPR
    8 - FNFNNJLHWFP9

I assume that is to get the app for free? How does one use it?

Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    1 - EXLX76THXALX
    2 - 7K37W7EXPRX6
    3 - FLNA6ETT6YNM
    4 - JTAH7AJ9RE3A
    5 - REWE649XJNFX
    6 - WXANJJ77RLR7
    7 - MYPJREM4TAPR
    8 - FNFNNJLHWFP9

I assume that is to get the app for free? How does one use it?

Just click "redeem" in the App Store, and then enter the code.

Thanks! Well then, I used the first one :D (EXLX76THXALX).

Thanks a lot, you're awesome @Custom Special

Steam profile
  • Dirk DaringDirk Daring Registered User regular
    BTW, as a heads up, Dungeon Village is on Sale for 1.99. I know people were talking about it a few pages back, so I put it on my watch list, and it popped the sale yesterday. I'm one of those guys who's too cheap to pay 4 bucks, but is fine with 2.

• seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    1 - EXLX76THXALX
    2 - 7K37W7EXPRX6
    3 - FLNA6ETT6YNM
    4 - JTAH7AJ9RE3A
    5 - REWE649XJNFX
    6 - WXANJJ77RLR7
    7 - MYPJREM4TAPR
    8 - FNFNNJLHWFP9
    I took #3, thanks!

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    1 - EXLX76THXALX
    2 - 7K37W7EXPRX6
    3 - FLNA6ETT6YNM
    4 - JTAH7AJ9RE3A
    5 - REWE649XJNFX
    6 - WXANJJ77RLR7
    7 - MYPJREM4TAPR
    8 - FNFNNJLHWFP9

I used #7. Thanks a lot!

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I used Code #8.

I will try and get some Starbucks codes this week though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Finished my "first" playthrough of Bastion for iPad. It's been incredibly satisfying. (I switched to virtual stick during the first scene). Can't wait to see how the story progresses during the second playthrough.

I don't think I ever shared this here... just a vid of my son playing some classics on one of our iPads using an iCade controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iomV0ZDiOkY

Another one just playing Air Attack HD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxutwvAXrRQ

This discussion has been closed.