As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Rayman Jungle Run came out today and is a really good one touch platformer. I loved the most recent console game though so take that into account with my strong recommendation to buy buy buy.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I loved the look of the latest Rayman games on the consoles, but it looks stunning on the retina iPad. Pretty fun too, and it's nice to have a one touch platformer with a few different modes and play styles.

• cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    I'm loving Rayman: JR! The visuals, the music, the gameplay are all incredible. Very rarely can games (or movies or tv shows etc) make me smile like I did when I booted up this game for the first time.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    So I guess some people here like Jetpack Joyride?

I've been enjoying it for a random time filler at night or whenever, so last night I finally kicked in the $2 for the counterfeit machine to earn more coins.
    Also, I think I've got the rhythm down to rack up the wins in the token spin after a round. Last night I got about 75% wins on my spins and ended up with three rounds in a row running double coin (and one of those was from a single spin token). I had one round where I got the 3 extra tokens on my spin two or three times!
    I think I'm about half way to Wizard level...how many levels are there to get stars for?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    If memory serves, there are 15 levels before you can prestige.

It's news to me that there's a technique to the bonus spin; I assumed it was random. Shit. Now I need to go back to this game. I was a master at getting triple cherries back in Super Mario Bros. 2.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Apparently Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch comes out this week.

I had no idea it existed until a minute ago but I have to have it.

Yes. This. A million times this.

Also, it's using the PS1 translation. Guy who tested it over at touch arcade confirmed it. Also apparently you can run it in landscape or vertical. 6.99 pricetag. Must have.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Interesting. Does it also have all the voice acting and FMVs?

edited September 2012
    Interesting. Does it also have all the voice acting and FMVs?

Yep. Its filesize runs ~600MB.

Edit: Further review of the post makes the "original voice acting" question sound hazy. We'll have to see.
    Originally Posted by reverse channel
    I doubt SoMoGa would redub everything
    We didn't redub it. An English dub we could use was provided for us.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by furushotakeru
    I was one of the testers for the iOS port. I found the controls to be good (although I do not like playing in portrait mode, I vastly prefer landscape). The UI was redone to be iOS native - no shoehorning of a controller scheme onto a touch screen.
    Although I will note there is a virtual d-pad, should you want one

Vladimer on
    I'd love to have this on the iPad, but I'll wait for first impressions. This definitely is a better value than Square's bullshit prices.

I'd love to have this on the iPad, but I'll wait for first impressions. This definitely is a better value than Square's bullshit prices.

It's also Universal. Definitely a good price.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Speaking of bullshit prices, according to one of the Demons' Score reviews, there's a bunch of hidden IAP past the initial price point to actually access the full game.

Vladimer wrote: »

I would have loved a version that inserted the missing content from the Sega CD version, though. I heard they cut a whole dungeon, as well as a couple story bits?

edited September 2012

I would have loved a version that inserted the missing content from the Sega CD version, though. I heard they cut a whole dungeon, as well as a couple story bits?

From the PS1 version? I dunno. I'm currently trying to download this on the app store so I can give impressions, but apparently the fucking servers are taking a gigantic dump. As far as what the game is based on:
    It is indeed based on the Saturn release! In fact, if you were to open up the iPhone game and compare some of the files to an original Saturn CD, you'd find that a lot of them are identical. That said, we did backport a few of the enhancements made to the Playstation release, and the audio and video are in higher quality.

(And the Saturn does, indeed, do a lot of weird things. Maybe that should be a topic for a blog entry when the website opens!)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solid Snake Man
    Hopefully it sells well enough to eventually get us Eternal Blue as well!

I'd love to work on an Eternal Blue port (or even a new title). If you like our port, please write to SoMoGa and Game Arts and tell them the team did a great job, and you'd like to see EB too! Repeatedly.

Vladimer on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    Not to harp on a belaboured point, but dammit SquareEnix! Look at Lunar as a release. Universal and only $6.99. That's how you release an RPG on the iTMS.

From the first few minutes, Lunar looks/sounds pretty good. Love that the animation is all intact.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Horn is on sale for $3. How is it? I think it looks quite interesting, but anything with Zynga's name (even if they are just a publisher) makes me cautious.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2012

@Professor Snugglesworth the difference in voices is that Nall now sounds like a person, instead of a very high pitched noise. I don't know where that change comes from. I've only played the PS1 version, in which Nall had the high-pitched voice. The cutscenes are all intact and look great, though. Alex and Luna both sound fine.

Vladimer on
    edited September 2012
    @Professor Snugglesworth

Looks like it's the Sega port, which actually makes me happy. Another person's impressions:
    Initial impressions:
    -sound is a perfect port and it comes through very clearly.
    -minor thing: this is definitely the Saturn port, or at least the dub from it. i know because the voice for Nall is different from the PSX one. this is not necessarily bad, however: this voice actor is way less annoying and shrill. So far all other voices are the same.
    -minor: the intro song is slightly different from PSX but still excellent.
    -the flexible dpad is great! the portrait fixed dpad is also really nice.
    -tap-to-move controls are not bad but there is almost no path-finding, unfortunately, which means you must always tap places that are a straight line from your character. you eventually get used to it but it is a bit annoying. I'll probably stop noticing after a few hours of play.
    - looks great on small screens and retina, very good on iPad 2. not sure about how it would appear on retina iPad. it's already a bit pixely which is not bad, but it may look blurry on the retina iPad. I don't know since I don't have one.
    -I can't seem to change options from in game (only in the main menu)? little weird but no big deal.
    -there are eight achievements and seven of them are actually not bad, throwaway ones like the recent FF7 PC re-release. one is simply "level up once!" which is okay with me. I'm just happy because I wasn't expecting any achievements at all.
    -speaking of achievements-- please, please, add one for "discovering the true origin of dragon diamonds". everyone who has played the game knows what I'm talking about. :P it would make me very happy to have that as an achievement.
    -there is a leaderboard for end game score (no idea how that is calculated), AND, for all of you speed-run gamers-- a leaderboard for completion time.
    -the font size scaling for iPad is PERFECT for people like me who have bad eyes. thank you for this. very large and readable.

this is a really excellent port and I am so excited about diving into it. youve captured eveything perfectly. great work!

edit: oh my god, the "Portrait Mode" in the game basically turns the iPhone into a game boy. Even though it shrinks the screen. what a fantastic option.

Vladimer on
    edited September 2012
    According to GAF, the music and the voice acting is from the PSP version. Never played it, though some people are calling the PSP's music inferior to the PS1 version.

The voice cast wasn't exactly the most stellar bunch, so I'm not to disappointed about that.

Also, the company responsible for the iOS port just put their last RPG up for free: http://itunes.apple.com/app/vay/id284940607?mt=8

Never heard of the game, but free's free.

Edit: Comparison videos:

PSX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIURTJKek0&hd=1

PSP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGCF-GG73k&hd=1

PSX's audio mix sounds better, but PSP has the better sounding vocalist.

Might just be a case of tomayto, tomahto.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    All the Lunar love, and you've never heard of Vay? Get out. ;-)

Edit: regarding the vocalists, I actually prefer the PSX version's singer, though the PSP version's lyrics are better. I don't know... the woman singing sounds more amateurish and less diva-like, and since it's a girl from a backwoods village singing that appeals to me.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    So, I saw Demons' Score on the App Store for $6.99, looked at the screenshots, said 'This looks good.' Saw it was from Square. Looked at the price again.

o_O

Looked the game up online and found that it has $30.00 in IAP DLC to unlock the full game.

Yeah, that's Square.

They have a half dozen games I'd buy at $4.99 to $9.99, but none that I'd pay more than that for. So, instead of getting $50.00 to $60.00 from me, I go play Bastion instead and wait for Baldur's Gate to finally drop. I wonder if the price point really is a killer (I will grant that for people coming from console among it might not be) or if a price drop really would substantially boost sales as people like me ponied up to play Final Fantasy.

On a different note, I I finished Jade Empire last night and all I could think was that Jade Empire could totally do fine as an iOS port. Mouse 1 becomes a quick screen tap, mouse 2 because tap and hold, double tap the ground to dodge/run, add four tapable buttons on the lower left to switch stances, etc. The graphics would be no problem for a current generation iOS device. And the length of the game being a little short by WRPG standards isn't necessarily a bad thing on iOS.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Yeah, I feel like Square just doesn't understand iOS pricing and in their mind, it's a handheld just like PSP/DS, and thus games are priced accordingly.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, their products are selling quite well last I saw, so there's no real reason for them to change their pricing structure.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    So, I saw Demons' Score on the App Store for $6.99, looked at the screenshots, said 'This looks good.' Saw it was from Square. Looked at the price again.

o_O

Looked the game up online and found that it has $30.00 in IAP DLC to unlock the full game.

Yeah, that's Square.

They have a half dozen games I'd buy at $4.99 to $9.99, but none that I'd pay more than that for. So, instead of getting $50.00 to $60.00 from me, I go play Bastion instead and wait for Baldur's Gate to finally drop. I wonder if the price point really is a killer (I will grant that for people coming from console among it might not be) or if a price drop really would substantially boost sales as people like me ponied up to play Final Fantasy.

But hey, they finally made a universal app! Lol

steam_sig.png
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I was really excited for Demon's Score, but I'm not going near it with that level of bullshit IAP. Keeping it on the radar when (if) it ever goes on sale, but I'm not plunking down that much cash for an iOS game. I learned my lesson with FFT.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The problem with IAP unlocks is that appshoper doesn't track them very well

steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2012
    Demon's Score looks shitty as hell.

Who developed tha-

iNiS?

What...what are you doing? I know times are tight, but you've been doing the Lips games for too long. C'mon, here's a blanket; let's get you inside and back on your feet. Everything is going to be okay, I swear. You'll be crafting original ideas again before you know it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Ugh. Frozen Synapse really needs to release on iOS already. And someone needs to port X-Com over as well.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Ugh. Frozen Synapse really needs to release on iOS already. And someone needs to port X-Com over as well.

Agreed. And I'll take an iPad port of FTL while you're at it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Rayman Jungle Run is perfectly done. I really hope they add an Endless Mode, because that would be aces.

Rayman Jungle Run is perfectly done. I really hope they add an Endless Mode, because that would be aces.

How many levels does it have? And are there challenges ala Jetpack Joyride?

How many levels does it have? And are there challenges ala Jetpack Joyride?

Each "world" has 9 basic levels, and then 1 challenge level that you unlock by 100%ing 5 of the basic levels. So, 40 levels all together. They're pretty quick, but after the first couple, it'll take some work to 100% them.

And no challenges yet, as it isn't an Endless Runner. Closest thing is the achievements that call for you to collect a certain number of Lumes in a single playthrough, without dying or restarting, all the way up to basically 100%ing the entire game in one go.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I was feeling real lazy so I remoted into my PC and played a bit of FTL through Splashtop. Not perfect, having the keyboard open so I could hit space bar to pause was unideal, but it was pretty neat! I'm hoping Star Command is FTLish enough.

minor incident
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

I was feeling real lazy so I remoted into my PC and played a bit of FTL through Splashtop. Not perfect, having the keyboard open so I could hit space bar to pause was unideal, but it was pretty neat! I'm hoping Star Command is FTLish enough.

I was thinking of doing the same thing (I used to use LogMeIn on my iPhone/iPad to do my SWTOR crafting while I was at work), but I figured the lag and difficulty in bringing up the keyboard to pause would make the tough encounters even harder.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I was thinking of doing the same thing (I used to use LogMeIn on my iPhone/iPad to do my SWTOR crafting while I was at work), but I figured the lag and difficulty in bringing up the keyboard to pause would make the tough encounters even harder.

I just kept the keyboard open and played in portrait mode. It gave me a lot less screen for the game though. FTL is so mouse driven that an iOS port would make a lot of sense.

I just kept the keyboard open and played in portrait mode. It gave me a lot less screen for the game though. FTL is so mouse driven that an iOS port would make a lot of sense.

Yeah, I mean, it would literally just need a "PAUSE" button added to the screen, but otherwise it'd be a perfect transition, especially for the iPad. I'm holding out hope they have some surplus Kickstarter money for an iOS port.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Yeah, I mean, it would literally just need a "PAUSE" button added to the screen, but otherwise it'd be a perfect transition, especially for the iPad. I'm holding out hope they have some surplus Kickstarter money for an iOS port.
    Hahaha, are you serious?

They are still in the top ten on Steam. Kickstarter money probably isn't something they are relying on anymore.

YL9WnCY.png
    So, I picked up 10000000. I did not realize it was so time sensitive, ha. I am terrible.

This discussion has been closed.