As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] We just want to unleash some Butchers!

• Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    susan wrote: »
    By the way, did you get into the Team Tourney for L&L?

Two Guardians are phenomenal. I did not, since I work for Privateer and can't be in "tournies" of any kind. I should be rocking the Iron Arena at L&L though, with my gold Circle force. They're straight pimpin'.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    Dyrwen66 wrote: »
    Two Guardians are phenomenal.

I'm almost done painting my second. Looking forward to using it in Kreuger's tier list with Eyriss :twisted: .

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    Dino-czarDino-czar 2 cool 2 be 4gottenRegistered User regular
    My only problem with Guardians is how small the model is. Put next to the living circle beasts it just looks wimpy.

• Options
    Small, but dense. Put that thing in a sock, swing it around a bit, and your opponents will better appreciate its hitting power.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    susan wrote: »
    Small, but dense. Put that thing in a sock, swing it around a bit, and your opponents will better appreciate its hitting power.

I still want to make a Guardian Extreme out of a Cambell's soup can and some toilet paper tubes. Give that rock monster some presence.

Dino-czar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ah this is an awesome feeling. Read through the rules again, read through my army book again and I'm starting to come up with combos and rule interactions of my own. I mean, I'm sure what I am coming up with has been thought of before and probably not that great, but, I'm actually coming up with my own little synergies instead of just copying those of others and it feels great.

For example: Activate a Greylord Ternion first, casting a string of Blizzards across the front line of a WGRC to create a wall of cloud effects. Then, activate a Spriggan to drop flares on an advancing enemy unit. Then activate the WGRC, have them step backwards so they are now on the other side of the Blizzard, they can however, shoot through the Blizzards due to the flares. However, it isn't a two way street and their target can't draw LOS back to them for counter-fire or charging.

I mean, it probably isn't that great of a combo. It requires three pieces, very specific activation order and feels a little clunky. But I came up with it god damn it, it is my ugly bastard child of a combo, and it feels good. :D

And even as I wrote the combo out just now I realized it would be better to activate the Spriggan to place its flares first so then the clouds could obscure LOS to it as well.

Anyway, what I am trying to say here is that learning rules and the resultant interactions is fun as hell.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The clouds that the Ternion place follow the model, IIRC

e: yeah, 'remains centered on the model for one round' - you can't step behind it with the model you cast it on. But the rest of the unit other than those 3 dudes will be out of LoS.

SJ on
  • Options
    Nooooooo reading comprehension fail!

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Bit the bullet and finally ordered a Deathjack. Just have to make sure when I play him he has a little entourage for protection. I used him once before and got too excited and had him out front all by himself. He didn't survive 5 charging doomreavers and some big ugly jack attack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    The Deathjack's greatest value is how threatening he is. Make sure he stays away from Doom Reavers and use it to punish people for moving their models towards yours.

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Random question for you good folks...

I was thinking of grabbing a Journeyman for my Cygnar ranged force. At this point im most worried about... The fact i dont love the model. Is there a solo someone could suggest that would fit the sword and pistol look?
    Im down for conversions if needed, and i dig the Cryx style. Im not opposed to Hordes models either, i just dont know them very well.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Random question for you good folks...

I was thinking of grabbing a Journeyman for my Cygnar ranged force. At this point im most worried about... The fact i dont love the model. Is there a solo someone could suggest that would fit the sword and pistol look?
    Im down for conversions if needed, and i dig the Cryx style. Im not opposed to Hordes models either, i just dont know them very well.

Do you not like the default and the variant model?

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cygnar/solos/journeyman-warcaster-variant

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you don't like the variant you're a soulless monster.

• Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    Guess that means I'm a soulless monster...
    She just has the dumbest looking sword.

• Options
    You're not supposed to be looking at her sword.

• Options
    General Nemo, your avatar and sig are mesmerizing. I could stare at them forever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Actually, the ladycaster doesnt seem terrible... I guess i was just hankering for some kind of custom job. Something less Cygnar-y for an interesting backstory.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Well, if you don't mind not playing him as such in tournaments, Rutger Shaw is a pretty decent alternative to a Jr., much more in the mold of Caine if anything. He's a merc jack marshal, so it's not too much of a stretch anyway, and his pose is very similar to a Jr. as it is.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    From the old RPG line, there's Damien Sperling, too. More spear than sword, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Spriggan is built, yay!

Now to decide how exactly I want to get this list to 35.

Part of me really wants to go with the WGRC (which would be in addition to the WGI I already have) because I love me some people's army. But, some people did point out to me that if I run both WGI and WGRC that Joe is only going to be able to make one of them better a turn, which might leave the other unit feeling a little lackluster.

• Options
    warder808 wrote: »
    General Nemo, your avatar and sig are mesmerizing. I could stare at them forever.
    Obey the Tyson!

• Options
    In the interest of keeping my brother in the hobby (he hates building models, but likes the painting and the strategy, while I love building models) it seems it has fallen to me to build his Bane Thralls. Now, normally after filing off mold lines and whatnot I give the pewter a simple green bath and a nice scrub. But, with the Bane Thralls their shoulder pads look to be made of a material that I can't quite pin down? It's definitely not pewter, but it doesn't look quite like plastic either. Is it resin? I've never worked with resin before. Do I treat it pretty much like plastic?

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Spriggan is built, yay!

Part of me really wants to go with the WGRC (which would be in addition to the WGI I already have) because I love me some people's army. But, some people did point out to me that if I run both WGI and WGRC that Joe is only going to be able to make one of them better a turn, which might leave the other unit feeling a little lackluster.

A unit of Kayazy is never a bad option, especially with the Overboss. They give people horrible fits many times and can be extremely difficult to kill.

• Options
    Spriggan is built, yay!

A unit of Kayazy is never a bad option, especially with the Overboss. They give people horrible fits many times and can be extremely difficult to kill.

I was considering them, also considering IFP with UA so mix some high ARM infantry in (already got high DEF with the WGI). The Kayazy sculpts bug me (speaking of dumb looking swords) but they are definitely good on the table top.

My proposed list was:
    pButcher
    Juggernaut
    Spriggan

Full WGI Deathstar
    Full WGRC
    WG Mortar Team

Joe

To fit in something like the Kayazy or IFP I could go something like:
    pButcher
    Kodiak
    Spriggan

Full WGI Deathstar
    Full IFP with UA OR Full Kayazy with UA

Joe

Lose the mortar team but the Juggernaut gets bumped into a Kodiak (I own both models). I'll miss Ice Axe Crits under full throttle but people have also been telling me that running both a Juggernaut and a Spriggan under pButcher is too focus hungry, and the Kodiak is supposed to be more focus efficient.

• Options
    In the interest of keeping my brother in the hobby (he hates building models, but likes the painting and the strategy, while I love building models) it seems it has fallen to me to build his Bane Thralls. Now, normally after filing off mold lines and whatnot I give the pewter a simple green bath and a nice scrub. But, with the Bane Thralls their shoulder pads look to be made of a material that I can't quite pin down? It's definitely not pewter, but it doesn't look quite like plastic either. Is it resin? I've never worked with resin before. Do I treat it pretty much like plastic?

It's a plastic. It won't work with plastic glue, but in other respects you can treat it same as anything else.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Spriggan is built, yay!

I was considering them, also considering IFP with UA so mix some high ARM infantry in (already got high DEF with the WGI). The Kayazy sculpts bug me (speaking of dumb looking swords) but they are definitely good on the table top.

My proposed list was:
    pButcher
    Juggernaut
    Spriggan

Full WGI Deathstar
    Full WGRC
    WG Mortar Team

Joe

To fit in something like the Kayazy or IFP I could go something like:
    pButcher
    Kodiak
    Spriggan

Full WGI Deathstar
    Full IFP with UA OR Full Kayazy with UA

Joe

Lose the mortar team but the Juggernaut gets bumped into a Kodiak (I own both models). I'll miss Ice Axe Crits under full throttle but people have also been telling me that running both a Juggernaut and a Spriggan under pButcher is too focus hungry, and the Kodiak is supposed to be more focus efficient.

The second version seems fine, but it might be ok running the Jugger/Spriggan combo and using the spare point on a Wardog. You could also drop a single Rocketeer from the WGI deathstar to fit in a Wardog instead and go with the Kodiak. Butcher loves his wardog.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The kodiak runs for free, and has 'Grab and Smash', yes?

As a Darius player I'll tell you that warjacks with chain attacks are far more valuable than single big-weapon hitters when it comes to using Full Throttle. The only exception is when you're against high defense targets and you're able to able to spare the focus to buy more attacks. I'm talking about warpwolfs and DEF 15+ warcasters who like to camp focus.

I don't know that directly answers your concerns, but it might help.

Dino-czar on
  • Options
    Dino-czar wrote: »
    The kodiak runs for free, and has 'Grab and Smash', yes?

As a Darius player I'll tell you that warjacks with chain attacks are far more valuable than single big-weapon hitters when it comes to using Full Throttle. The only exception is when you're against high defense targets and you're able to able to spare the focus to buy more attacks. I'm talking about warpwolfs and DEF 15+ warcasters who like to camp focus.

I don't know that directly answers your concerns, but it might help.

Yeah, the Kodiak does both of those things, which is really nice. It can also vent steam which puts out a cloud effect around it that can hurt living models. Oh, and it also has pathfinder. It does sport a good amount of extra things for costing only one point more than the Juggernaut.

I am weighing this pros against Juggernaut's Ice Axe and the critical freeze on that. I mean, yes, it takes a lot of focus to do so but if you do full throttle and dump three focus on the Juggernaut (which is admittedly all of the Butcher's focus) you get 4 swings using 3d6, which puts the chance of critically freezing something at pretty decent.

Crits with the ice axe are fun but, if I'm honest with myself, the Kodiak is probably better.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I am weighing this pros against Juggernaut's Ice Axe and the critical freeze on that. I mean, yes, it takes a lot of focus to do so but if you do full throttle and dump three focus on the Juggernaut (which is admittedly all of the Butcher's focus) you get 4 swings using 3d6, which puts the chance of critically freezing something at pretty decent.

Crits with the ice axe are fun but, if I'm honest with myself, the Kodiak is probably better.

Well, you're crit freezing something that you've also hit 4 times with a P&S 19. Which is to say you've crit frozen something that is (mostly) dead.

The juggy is a fine jack, but I wouldn't take it just to chase critical freeze.

Dino-czar on
  • Options
    I would take it when there is need for a more concentrated hitter in your battlegroup. The Kodiak is fine for Butcher1 thanks to Fury and Full Throttle, but for other warcasters, he's solid heavy for a good investment.

• Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Any of you going to PAX East? I just finished painting most of my Cryx battle group, still need to paint Deneghra. I've not really played any games yet and I'm hoping to check out some games and maybe play some quick battle group games at PAX.

Nisi on
  • Options
    Looking at some of the Cryx solos, i think i found something to convert into a Cyg Jr... Hi pistol wraith!

Swap a gun for a sword, lop off half a skull and you get a whispy mysterious mini caster.
    Does privateer frown on things like that? Im just thinking theres a bit less room for personalization than the 'Hammers it seems.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It won't be tournament legal. Whether or not you can play it in a local tournament is, ultimately, up to your TO, but many (most?) will say no.

In regular games you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want.

The quantity of model types in Warmachine makes it a much bigger issue if people are using a lot of significant conversions or "acts as" models, though you could reasonably argue that PP's official policies take that concern a little too far.

admanb on
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    Faction ADD. Sucks. I started the game playing as Cryx and got stomped due to how squishy they can be and how noob I was. After about 8 months I switched heavily into Legion and I've been playing them ever since. About 6 months later I'm having a blast with Legion, but am really digging the Ret models. A full Sentinel squad, a few warcaster, and some solos later, I can't wait to get paint to these angry elves since I think my scheme could look pretty badass. Then my friend tells me a few days ago he has an awesome idea for an anti-Cryx list and asks if I'll help him test it out. Sure, no biggee, I dust off pDenny some raiders and some Bane Thralls and help him out. OMG I was playing Cryx so wrong before. So, so so wrong. So now my problem is: I'm almost finished with my Legion collection. I started a Ret collection but don't really have enough models to put an effective list together. I have a decent amount of Cryx but still need some basics like mechThralls, bile thralls, etc. Part of me really wanted to go Ret so no one could say "man you win because you're OP" like I hear/heard with Legion and the few wins I had with Cryx. But DAMN Cryx was alot of fun to play again.

Decisions are killing me, and my wallet.

But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    I dont know what kind of people you play with who actively say that you are winning based soley on your choice of an OP faction. I looked into the game and really liked the whole theme and style of Cryx. I started playing them and have been having fun. No one has ever said that I win because Cryx is OP. If everyone "knows" they're OP then they should have ready counters for them.

Then again I'm new, and don't win too often.

Bottom line for me: play what you want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I play Protectorate. I don't worry all that much about Cryx unless I break out my Khador.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    For new players, Cryx are infuriating. It takes some time to learn how to get around certain tricks or what a hard counter will be.

• Options
    Even playing Cygnar, which at my LGS is constantly talked about as a bottom-tier faction, I get jabs and dumb jokes thrown at me any time I play a Haley. You just have to laugh it off and play the game.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Even playing Cygnar, which at my LGS is constantly talked about as a bottom-tier faction, I get jabs and dumb jokes thrown at me any time I play a Haley...

In our defense, eHaley + 2 Minutemen is pretty bullshit.

*goes to plan an eGaspy Bane list for Saturday's tournament*

• Options
    Bah, I say!

This discussion has been closed.