As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Bat-Thread: Between The Batarangs And The Bat Shark-Repellant

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It is pretty funny that "lost his marbles" Batman is, apart from his color scheme, indistinguishable from Miller's interpretation of the character.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone who read DKR or DKSA should know that Miller's Batman is ape-shit nutso. What I have read of War Games has Batman being an apeshit crazy asshole and that was only a few years ago.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think it was less that he was crazy and more had an obsessive need to control absolutely everything.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I think it was less that he was crazy and more had an obsessive need to control absolutely everything.

otherwise known as being crazy

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After reading Batman #679, I'm not so sure its Batman that's on drugs. I think its Grant Morrison.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I shall share the secret of Batman RIP with all of you......

The way it works is, in Batman's currently drugged up state, everything he's doing and the world he's perceiving is completely normal and rational. The trick is that if you, the reader, tried reading this while drugged up, it would make perfect sense to all of you. No longer will you be perceiving things as outside observers, but from the very perspective of Batman himself. Genius.

Ok, I can't keep a straight face any longer....

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    New issue cleared a few things up and set the stage for the final "act" but otherwise not much happened.

I am sure this stuff with Doctor Hurt
    being Thomas Wayne
    Is the reddest of herrings.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure that Alfred's lines cleared up that issue as soon as it came up.
    "I knew Thomas Wayne. You are NOT Thomas Wayne. And I promise you Master Bruce will make you regret this grotesque charade."

We know from the RIP "crossover" issues in Detective Comics that Hush, and more than likely all of the Black Glove crime group have access to very advanced plastic surgery methods.

In fact, in the Detective Comics issue where Hush goes under the knife, he could easily be the one who became
    Thomas Wayne.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think my biggest problem with this arc so far is that they've seperated Batman from Bruce Wayne, I mean thats what this Batman of Zur-en-arrh is supposed to be according to this issue.

But I find out that I dont really like him or find him interesting.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I actually rather liked it. I mean, it's absurd in the extreme (that Batman is prepared for absolutely everything, including
    post-hypnotic personality-wiping codewords
    ), but I actually felt like this one little thing redeemed the whole arc for me. Specifically, I understand why Batman is acting the way he is. The way I figure it, Batman minus Bruce Wayne is incomplete, so it's not surprising to me that the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh is kind of unhinged, and is hitting people with a stick rather than doing the Batmany things we normally expect (lurking in shadows, throwing batarangs, using ziplines, etc).

Delduwath on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't actually read the books for this arc, but I just can't respect what they're doing to Batman at this point.

But mostly I just think that within 5 years, this arc will already be horribly, horribly dated, and probably within 10 or so another crisis will happen, and this bit of the continuity will be swept under the carpet like it never happened. I also can't believe this is going on against a franchise film, but I know that's already been discussed here.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yes because lining up stories to match with the multi million dollar movie is exactly what inspires creativity around DC

you would be bitching just as much if not more if they had changed Batman for the movie release

this week's issue was fucking boss, and finally confirmed what I thought:
    that the Batman of Zur En Arrh was set up by bruce wayne

SERVO EDIT-thanks, nice spoilers

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    yes because lining up stories to match with the multi million dollar movie is exactly what inspires creativity around DC

you would be bitching just as much if not more if they had changed Batman for the movie release

this week's issue was fucking boss, and finally confirmed what I thought:

SPOILERS!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I haven't actually read the books for this arc

Then shut up

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sorry, that was a bit mean.

HadjiQuest, please don't ever post.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I liked this issue the most so far, but it packed less "oomph" than the previous ones. I enjoyed that it makes sense, but mostly everything has already been predicted.
    I do like that the Club of Heroes is going to show up, though

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    I haven't actually read the books for this arc

Then shut up

<3<3<3

I liked this issue, but where the hell was the Robin and Damian stuff we were promised?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    This was definitely the best issue of the storyline so far, but that might mainly be because I'm finally starting to get an idea of what's going on.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is El Sombrero a real character, or did Morrison just invent him?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I got both of the Robin RIP crossover issues, but I did not get the Nightwing one. Was it any good? Does it have any important information or plot elements? If so, would someone mind spoilering them please? I don't plan to buy that issue.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It was a pretty decent issue but no there is not really any connection to R.I.P. as it unfolds in Batman.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love how Morrison had Gordon bring up the cop's kid one page before he got shot in the head by a bunch of arrows.

Also: Batman Zur Ennh Ah wields the chair leg of truth.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't actually read the books for this arc, but I just can't respect what they're doing to Batman at this point.

But mostly I just think that within 5 years, this arc will already be horribly, horribly dated, and probably within 10 or so another crisis will happen, and this bit of the continuity will be swept under the carpet like it never happened. I also can't believe this is going on against a franchise film, but I know that's already been discussed here.

Actually, however time will judge this story, I don't think it's going to be a big deal. It is really a "harmless retcon" in that nothing changed doesn't change the way people write Batman stories.
    This is in reference to Batman's wacky silver age being retconned into military experiment hallucinations and code words being implanted into him

I guess the actual "end" of Batman might be major enough, but we all know it's not going to be permanent, so it won't really require a crisis to wipe away.

I really don't think the events of this arc will have a big impact on future bat stories when all is said and done.

Lux on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just have to post this

robin.jpg

continue/carry on with your conversation.

bychance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I am seriously dumbfounded by this post

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He's actually based on a real person.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can you explain this one a little, as I'm a moron

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mugginns wrote: »

Here's what we know so far:
    Batman, in an insanely absurd demonstration of the "he can beat anyone, if he has time to plan" fanboy mentality, apparently foresaw the possibility that some enemy would find away to strip away the Bruce Wayne and Batman personalities. To combat this, he somehow (through means unknown) developed a third, hidden personality, the Batman of Zur En Arrh, which lay dormant inside of him.

This personality is based off a hallucination he had during a military drug and sensory deprivation experiment (apparently much of the Silver Age wackiness was a part of this), during which one of the doctors, Dr. Hate (who is now impersonating Thomas Wayne, physically, through surgery, etc.) implanted the hypnotic cues necessary to later strip away those "healthy" Bruce Wayne/Batman personalities.

Thus, having now been triggered, Bruce Wayne and Batman are 'gone' (perhaps permanently) leaving only The Batman of Zur En Arrh inhabiting that body. That Batman is now on a slowly building rampage, guided by a peculiar hallucination of Bat-Mite.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Batman, in an insanely absurd demonstration of the "he can beat anyone, if he has time to plan" fanboy mentality, apparently foresaw the possibility that some enemy would find away to strip away the Bruce Wayne and Batman personalities. To combat this, he somehow (through means unknown) developed a third, hidden personality, the Batman of Zur En Arrh, which lay dormant inside of him.

This personality is based off a hallucination he had during a military drug and sensory deprivation experiment (apparently much of the Silver Age wackiness was a part of this), during which one of the doctors, Dr. Hate (who is now impersonating Thomas Wayne, physically, through surgery, etc.) implanted the hypnotic cues necessary to later strip away those "healthy" Bruce Wayne/Batman personalities.

Thus, having now been triggered, Bruce Wayne and Batman are 'gone' (perhaps permanently) leaving only The Batman of Zur En Arrh inhabiting that body. That Batman is now on a slowly building rampage, guided by a peculiar hallucination of Bat-Mite.
    ah cool, I didn't realize that Bruce had set up that personality on his own, I thought it was just a byproduct of some sort, but this does make sense

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I want to know what the control words or images, or whatever it was that Dr. Hurt used to break him down.
    After having read this weeks issue, it seems to me that Zur En Arrh was Batman's control word which brought out his hidden fail-safe personality. So if that wasn't the bad guy's implanted word, then what was?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Also: Batman Zur Ennh Ah wields the chair leg of truth.

Man that is exactly what I thought when I saw those pages where Batman's questioning Charlie Caligula.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't read this weeks issue yet, but does Jezebel Jet make an appearance? Cause if she doesn't then she's got my vote as The Black Glove.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think its fairly well established at this point that the Black Glove is not an individual, but rather an organization.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In any case,
    Jezebel does make an appearance, and she's not in good shape, which might get rid of any suspicions that she's a villain...

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No, I'm serious, did the character actually exist prior to this or did Morrison just say "I'm going to invent the character with maybe the dumbest name ever"?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, I'm serious, did the character actually exist prior to this or did Morrison just say "I'm going to invent the character with maybe the dumbest name ever"?
    Is Batman a real character or did Bob Kane and Bill Finger just invent him?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think he means pre-existing character

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man do you have like zero reading comprehension?

Saph on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Saph wrote: »
    Man do you have like zero reading comprehension?
    no I just hate stupid questions

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The experiment was, I think, in a Silver Age story called "Robin Dies at Dawn"

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.