As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Hi, Job Thread. Here's what's happening with my life: My girlfriend recently got accepted to a Masters program at St Cloud State University in Minnesota. Currently, I live outside of Pittsburgh, and some time over the summer we'll be moving to St Cloud together.

Right now, I have been working at Best Buy for the last 5 years. I have already talked with my managers about looking into being transferred to a store there, but optimally, I would like to get out of retail. My educational history is that I got a BA from Penn State in Communications (Media Studies focus) and then I promptly didn't do anything with that degree.

So, Job Thread, what advice do you have for me?

while it is like an hour and half drive away from St. Cloud, Best Buy Corporate is in Bloomington Minnesota. Drive past it everyday.

You could see if you can get transferred to corporate?

My current commute is close to an hour, so if the position paid enough to justify the extended drive, I'd be OK with this, or another job in the area.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Finished school. First job offer doesn't want me to start for another month.

This should be a relief period, I should be enjoying myself

Day 1 and I am getting fucking antsy already

My advice is to enjoy this time. You finished school! yay! You HAVE A JOB! that is great too! Now relax and do some fun things (obviously don't blow the bank before the job starts) and get yourself so sick of doing nothing really productive that you will dive into the job. That's what I did anyway.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »
    while it is like an hour and half drive away from St. Cloud, Best Buy Corporate is in Bloomington Minnesota. Drive past it everyday.

You could see if you can get transferred to corporate?

My current commute is close to an hour, so if the position paid enough to justify the extended drive, I'd be OK with this, or another job in the area.

You might also want to look into Target Corporate, which has headquarters downtown.

Minneapolis actually has quite a few major companies in the area (i.e. Medtronic, General Mills, Best Buy, Target)

• Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    @joeuser -wan kenobi, you're my only hope.

Hey dude, I need me a jerb. Don't even care what the butt it is, just need to get paid. Closer to Edwardsville would be best, but not strictly necessary.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    redfenix wrote: »
    @joeuser -wan kenobi, you're my only hope.

Hey dude, I need me a jerb. Don't even care what the butt it is, just need to get paid. Closer to Edwardsville would be best, but not strictly necessary.

So what kind of work were you doing in your temp job?

• Options
    data entry, namely healthcare contract creation, previously i had been doing SAP implementation and training elsewhere.

• Options
    data entry, namely healthcare contract creation, previously i had been doing SAP implementation and training elsewhere.

So is St. Louis too far away?

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i got myself put into a regional high-school-subject-tutoring database thing, hopefully that'll turn into some cash!

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

If he moves there, is there a body armor stipend, a bullet proof window for his car allowance, and perhaps a fund to pay for gunshot based medical problems?

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    you're thinking of East St. Louis

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    you're thinking of East St. Louis

That's like saying "stay out of the bad parts of Kabul".

• Options
    I'm sure there are some very nice neighborhood markets in Kabul

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Only sleep with the attractive and relatively healthy looking hookers at the truck stop.

Just use the cleanest utensils at the Waffle House.

Drink water from the tap in Mexico from places that look like it will be OK.

• Options
    I have never gotten sick from a waffle house

honestly it gets a bad rap

I've also known some perfectly lovely lot lizards in my day. I wouldn't fuck them with your dick, but they were great ladies.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I have a phone interview today with the Department of Social and Health Services.

• Options

No, but it somewhat depends on the pay vs the specific distance
    I was going about 45-50 minutes one way for the last job, unless it pays say, $14/hr or more, i may as well wait tables in town here and not drive

• Options
    Hunter wrote: »

If he moves there, is there a body armor stipend, a bullet proof window for his car allowance, and perhaps a fund to pay for gunshot based medical problems?

Much of St. Louis is very nice, about 1/3 of it is hella money areas and completely safe
    about 1/3 is middleish
    and yeah, a good 1/3 is pretty shady

and then there's East St. Louis
    which, frankly, isn't the goddamn demilitarized zone. People live and work there. I still wouldn't go after dark, but it's not literally the front lines

• Options
    Waffle House is just one more bad decision you can make to end your day. Like it's 2am, you're drunk, you have less than 5 bucks, and you already have made pretty much every dumbass move you could make in the last 24 hours. Might as well finish it off with pecan waffles, sausage, eggs, coffee, and Legionnaire's disease.

• Options
    Stale wrote: »
    I have never gotten sick from a waffle house

honestly it gets a bad rap

I've also known some perfectly lovely lot lizards in my day. I wouldn't fuck them with your dick, but they were great ladies.

Never had waffles at a waffle house
    but hash browns covered and chunked (cheese and ham?) ... awesome
    also, grilled cheese on raisin bread has to be tried, it's glorious

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yeah usually when I'm drunk at a waffle house I'm craving pure grease, so I go for the patty melt & hash browns

Scudo on
  • Options
    I have never been inside a waffle house without meeting these conditions:

Drunk
    It's after 1am
    I am on the edge of exhausted and wired because I have worked way to many hours while traveling on the company dime

• Options
    @redfenix

How about this?

Accounting Data-Entry / Medical Invoicing in Fairview Heights

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Waffle House is just one more bad decision you can make to end your day. Like it's 2am, you're drunk, you have less than 5 bucks, and you already have made pretty much every dumbass move you could make in the last 24 hours. Might as well finish it off with pecan waffles, sausage, eggs, coffee, and Legionnaire's diseasecheesesteak plate scattered covered side of grits and a slice of pecan pie on the grill with butter on top.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I read "slice of pelican pie"

mmmmm, endangered species

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular

Much of St. Louis is very nice, about 1/3 of it is hella money areas and completely safe
    about 1/3 is middleish

which, frankly, isn't the goddamn demilitarized zone. People live and work there. I still wouldn't go after dark, but it's not literally the front lines

I grew up in Granite City, which is a suburb of East St. Louis. It was an alright place, but it can't seem to make up it's mind about whether or not it is expanding or dying. So you'll see a mix of both depending on which street you're on.

My entire extended family lives their, and most of them commute to St. Louis, with a couple of them heading the other direction to Edwardsville/Collinsville.

Personally, I'd say Edwardsville is a pretty nice place to live/work. Healthy college town.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    St. Cloud is a nice town! I live like 2.5 hours away from there.
    Dessart wrote: »
    Never heard back about the server position, but I did get a position as a dishwasher at another restaurant which I promptly quit after a single shift once I realized that I could not handle the speed of everything, and that I was thrown into it without being told a thing. Might have been the worst 8 hours of my life.

On the a positive note I got a job at Target, though it happened really oddly. I went in after being offered an interview but no one at the store knew a thing about me, nor did they know who it was that called me. They were nice enough to give me an interview despite there not being any positions available. However, I guess I am somehow really qualified because they offered me a seasonal job in electronics, which was exactly what I was working for. And to make the whole thing weirder I am making 50 cents more than the guy who told me to apply and he has been working there for almost a year.

I am so, so sorry.

Maybe your store is different or something, but otherwise...

I am so, so sorry.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @Moriveth always enjoyed working for Target

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Targets I worked at were usually pretty awesome places. I mean retail kinda sucks regardless but my bosses were usually pretty nice, understanding people.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Joe! Any jobs you can find in the Dublin area that're like data entry/CS/entry level finance bank teller sorta stuff?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    I think it might just be this one, then, as I have seen an unending parade of the most ass-backwards decisions.

Like, the 5 hardest working people there were either fired or forced to quit during my time there, and the two worst workers I have ever been around in any capacity are still there.

When the (rare) non-retarded managers went to other stores they were always so impressed by how much better things were, though, so it is quite possible.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Joe! Any jobs you can find in the Dublin area that're like data entry/CS/entry level finance bank teller sorta stuff?

I thought you were going to Canada!

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I read "slice of pelican pie"

mmmmm, endangered species

Pelicans aren't endangered.

They're also ugly.

They should be thankful that apparently we don't find them tasty or they would be dead and on the plate.

• Options
    Kor wrote: »

about 1/3 is middleish

I grew up in Granite City, which is a suburb of East St. Louis. It was an alright place, but it can't seem to make up it's mind about whether or not it is expanding or dying. So you'll see a mix of both depending on which street you're on.

My entire extended family lives their, and most of them commute to St. Louis, with a couple of them heading the other direction to Edwardsville/Collinsville.

Personally, I'd say Edwardsville is a pretty nice place to live/work. Healthy college town.

Sup! I grew up in Collinsville. Small world :)
    If you were in high school in the late 90's and knew any GC (or CHS) wrestlers, we may know the same people or each other
    woo.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular

not for a little bit!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options

not for a little bit!

Something like this?

• Options
    @redfenix

How about this?

Accounting Data-Entry / Medical Invoicing in Fairview Heights

Applied!

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    So, my supervisor is leaving soon, and I kinda want the position. But when the bossboss announced it, he just said that no decision had been made to her successor.
    Bossboss has been very weird lately about making the accounting of the department work, and I'm worried that he'll be making decisions based on keeping people at their current pay rate. And I'm near the bottom currently.
    The only thing he has said to me recently is asking if I've done filing work this week- One of the higher paid people has been doing filing, and I need to help out in order to dilute the amount of money we spend on that task.
    I need to just talk with him, but man. Couldn't he at least give us some indication if he's promoting from within or if he's going to try open the position up for interviews? I was so hopeful earlier with this, and now he's acting so weird about everything...

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    And seriously, fuck filing. I don;t mind sorting my own work and putting it away when I know the system. But

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Maybe ask him if you can interview for the position? It gives him flexibility in his decision that a straight promotion might not, but it also gives you an opportunity to sell yourself if you're concerned the opportunity might otherwise be obscured.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    yeah
    I need to let him know I'm interested but, but so far his stated plans are "no plans have been made."
    ohgod I hate talking to people

MulysaSempronius on
This discussion has been closed.