As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trayvon Martin]'s Violent Attack on George Zimmerman

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    She clarified that statement saying that the encounter itself was an accident, but the murder was deliberate.

Yeah. Sure.

When in reality as a society sometimes our desire to see somebody pay after a tragedy outweighs the actual evidence of malice, or even recklessness.

Saw this recently with a cyclist who was killed by a driver who had a suspended license. It was determined that it was an accident, and the suspended license played no part, but the cycling community freaked out that there weren't at least manslaughter charges. Because "ZOMG suspended license."

If your theory was applicable in this case, she would have demanded his summary execution, not called it an accident.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tenek wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Comon now it doesnt take that much to break a persons nose lets not bring back that by breaking someones nose and then taking them down you are a bruce lee clone.

No, I'm saying that Zimmerman's account reads like "Gee, I was just walking along minding my own business, when all of a sudden this scary black guy jumps out at me, and I try to run but it's too late and he smashes my nose and wrestles me to the ground and starts beating my head against the pavement, so I had no choice but to pull out my gun that he didn't notice and shoot him in the back."

There is eye witness that Zimmerman was definately taken down. Other than that the account reads more like "I saw a suspicious teen wandering around on a rainy night. I follow him. Lost him. He attacked me when I returned to my car. I shot him."

Martin beat Zimmerman back to his own car?

No Martin ambushed Zimmerman as he was returning to his car.

So as Zimmerman leaves his car to chase after Martin, Zimmerman is between Martin and his car.
    Then Zimmerman loses Martin and goes back to his car.
    Then Martin is between Zimmerman and his car? How exactly did he get there? Or know where to go?

No more like Zimmerman followed and lost Martin. And then Martin followed Zimmerman back to his car and ambushed him. That is the statement I read at least. Nothing has been leaked yet to contradict it.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I'm talking about you.

And the bulk of this thread.

And a huge slice of the public.

But yes, her actions would be consistent with thinking it was not actually murder, but due to the level of tragedy wanting to see punishment for murder.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    And by "not murder" I am including the possibility that she believes it was manslaughter. Though nobody would probably want to use that word in relation to a loved one.

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Well Zimmerman said his head was being bashed into concrete, yet there were witness statements that said they were on the grass.

We can keep going back and forth on this till rapture, but it won't make a lick of difference, charges have been filed we will just have to wait and see what happens.

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Comon now it doesnt take that much to break a persons nose lets not bring back that by breaking someones nose and then taking them down you are a bruce lee clone.

No, I'm saying that Zimmerman's account reads like "Gee, I was just walking along minding my own business, when all of a sudden this scary black guy jumps out at me, and I try to run but it's too late and he smashes my nose and wrestles me to the ground and starts beating my head against the pavement, so I had no choice but to pull out my gun that he didn't notice and shoot him in the back."

There is eye witness that Zimmerman was definately taken down. Other than that the account reads more like "I saw a suspicious teen wandering around on a rainy night. I follow him. Lost him. He attacked me when I returned to my car. I shot him."

So as Zimmerman leaves his car to chase after Martin, Zimmerman is between Martin and his car.
    Then Martin is between Zimmerman and his car? How exactly did he get there? Or know where to go?

No more like Zimmerman followed and lost Martin. And then Martin followed Zimmerman back to his car and ambushed him. That is the statement I read at least. Nothing has been leaked yet to contradict it.

This is the statement from Zimmerman. It can hardly be considered an impartial account.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, probable-cause affidavit says that Zimmerman confronted Martin after following him, and then the "struggle ensued." Which, I think, contradicts what Zimmerman's said so far.

Linky.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Presumably Martin knew very well where to hide to ambush Zimmerman.

Presumably not, since, you know, Martin didn't live in the community where it happened.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Uh...do not claim that he was shot in the back unless you have documentation to that effect.

(I'm pretty sure that would be valuable information to have if it existed.)

You're right, I misremembered that.

That's a pretty big point to misremember. Sure you shouldn't reevaluate how sure you are in your judgment of this case?

My judgment is that there should be a trial, where more evidence will be available, and where "It was self-defense" is the beginning of a defense, not the entirety of it. This particular mistake is irrelevant when it comes to that judgment, so, no. My expectation is that Zimmerman was trying to be Mr. Neighbourhood Hero and confronted the evil Suspicious-Looking Black Guy. After that, I don't know what happened, but it would largely matter in the context of "which particular crime is he guilty of". In order for it to be "none", we either need for Zimmerman to have lied about being attacked on his way back to his vehicle, and for Martin to have gone berserk with little provocation. Or, Martin chased him down and attacked, for.. some reason. Clearly one of these people was slightly off-kilter and so far Zimmerman has provided much more evidence that it's him. Martin has provided... well, actually, none.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Presumably not, since, you know, Martin didn't live in the community where it happened.

I'm sure he's been there a few times if a parent lives there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, probable-cause affidavit says that Zimmerman confronted Martin after following him, and then the "struggle ensued." Which, I think, contradicts what Zimmerman's said so far.

Linky.

Hey look! It's almost like I can read and reason logically.

This was really not hard to figure out.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Linky.

Hey look! It's almost like I can read and reason logically.

This was really not hard to figure out.

You'd be surprised. ... Or maybe you wouldn't. :wink:

• Options
    Shado redShado red Registered User regular
    The court affidavit is interesting in that it doesn't mention any other evidence than what we have already heard.

I imagine they are being careful to prevent contamination of the potential jury.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Well, see, Zimmerman had his gun equipped while Martin had empty hands equipped. So by Counterstrike logic, Martin could've used his super speed to get between Zimmerman and the car.

Or Zimmerman might be coloring the truth so he doesn't seem like the instigator. Then again, its his word against a corpse's, so who's going to contradict him?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I can't tell if you guys are being serious or not. Is it really that difficult to imagine how you could lose someone and then get ambushed on the way back to your vehicle? I have no idea if that is what actually happened, but Jesus people, use some imagination.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sticks wrote: »
    I can't tell if you guys are being serious or not. Is it really that difficult to imagine how you could lose someone and then get ambushed on the way back to your vehicle? I have no idea if that is what actually happened, but Jesus people, use some imagination.

Well if we're using our imaginations, then Zimmerman lied to the dispatcher chased down Trayvon, and then got more than what he was bargaining for when he tried to detain him.

Or maybe Zimmerman just straight up shot him because he didn't want to deal with his angry punk goon ass.

:rotate: Anything's possible when you use your imagination!! :whistle:

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »

Well if we're using our imaginations, then Zimmerman lied to the dispatcher chased down Trayvon, and then got more than what he was bargaining for when he tried to detain him.

Or maybe Zimmerman just straight up shot him because he didn't want to deal with his angry punk goon ass.

:rotate: Anything's possible when you use your imagination!! :whistle:

I was referring to anyone who is boggled by how such a situation could occur, but you are correct, and that's about 90% of what this thread entails.

• Options

We're not saying it's impossible, we're saying it's unlikely. A normal person would either call the police or just continue on home after evading the creepy guy following him. Zimmerman's story portrays Martin as Evil Batman who follows him back, lurking in the shadows until he can ambush his unsuspecting prey. Yes, this sounds ridiculous, because it is.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I'm sure he's been there a few times if a parent lives there.

/Sarcasm

Yes, because when I go to a new place, the first thing I do is look for spots where I can ambush the unwary.

/Sarcasm off.

The entire claim is pure conjecture. We don't know if Martin knew where to ambush Zimmerman and we don't know IF Martin ambushed Zimmerman.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Whose footsteps are these?

!

Alert 99.9

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

We're not saying it's impossible, we're saying it's unlikely. A normal person would either call the police or just continue on home after evading the creepy guy following him. Zimmerman's story portrays Martin as Evil Batman who follows him back, lurking in the shadows until he can ambush his unsuspecting prey. Yes, this sounds ridiculous, because it is.

Pretty much this. It's not that it's not possible, it's that it doesn't make any fucking sense. Kids with skittles and ice tea don't generally go Evil Ninja on people and ambush them at their car. Especially since the girlfriend had deposed that she heard Trayvon saying he was trying to get away form the guy. Why would you go ambush someone you're trying to get away from?

It's not impossible, it's just pretty unlikely.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    She clarified that statement saying that the encounter itself was an accident, but the murder was deliberate.

That should help mitigate the damage some.

Still, Corey's gotta find a way to put a muzzle on her potential witnesses. She can't have them going on national TV every other day, saying who knows what. The "Al Sharpton Media Circus" phase of this case it's over, now it's time to get down to business.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Why would Trayvon's mother testify? Unless we're deciding his disposition is relevant to the case, because he was totally a slut and deserved it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Shado red wrote: »
    The court affidavit is interesting in that it doesn't mention any other evidence than what we have already heard.

I imagine they are being careful to prevent contamination of the potential jury.

It seems the leaks have stopped since Corey took over from the local yokels, as well as the feds started watching over everyone's shoulders.

Zimmerman's new attorney seems a lot more competent than his previous one as well.

Maybe this trial has a chance of not being a complete fiasco.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Pretty much this. It's not that it's not possible, it's that it doesn't make any fucking sense. Kids with skittles and ice tea don't generally go Evil Ninja on people and ambush them at their car. Especially since the girlfriend had deposed that she heard Trayvon saying he was trying to get away form the guy. Why would you go ambush someone you're trying to get away from?

Kids with Skittles and ice tea don't run away when someone asks a question on what they are doing there.

"Hey what are you doing?"
    "going home"
    "oh ok"

That's it. No one runs unless they have something to hide.

Or they're worried that the crazy guy who's been following them might be dangerous.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Kids with Skittles and ice tea don't run away when someone asks a question on what they are doing there.

"going home"
    "oh ok"

And do tell, in your infinite wisdom, what that question was. If you can't provide audio, or a source which details the exact details of the verbal exchange, your are projecting your idea of what happened onto this situation.

At this point I can't tell if you're trolling or just stupid. We have a witness who was on the phone with Martin who confirmed that they spoke about Zimmerman. She instructed him to run. Why? Being followed by a man twice your size is plenty of a reason to run.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

If he was a mighty turkman, he would have slain him in the figg orchard of his forefathers, spilling his darkened blood among the ground.

• Options
    Why would Trayvon's mother testify? Unless we're deciding his disposition is relevant to the case, because he was totally a slut and so would go attack Zimmerman.

The mother herself stated that there's been a smear campaign being run against Trayvon - eg, the leak about the school suspension and possible marijuana paraphernalia. Depending in which direction Zimmerman's defense takes it, the state may want to use the mother as a character witness for Trayvon.

Maybe Zimmerman's defense doesn't go that way, and they don't need Martin's mom to testify. But better to have her and not need her than to need and not have her (or have her compromised because of something she said on TV).

Plus it's not like Martin's mom doing interviews on TV is going to help the prosecution. So it's a situation that's all risk, no reward.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote: »
    <snip>

I think TNC's argument is pretty weak but that's not really a counter.

I'm kinda curious how the conservatives ended up flocking to Zimmerman, I mean isn't law and order supposed to be something of a priority?

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

"going home"
    "oh ok"

And do tell, in your infinite wisdom, what that question was. If you can't provide audio, or a source which details the exact details of the verbal exchange, your are projecting your idea of what happened onto this situation.

Being followed by a man twice your size is plenty of a reason to run.

I thought that was obvious.

Don't forget how upset Zimmerman sounds in the transcript that some black kid is roaming around the neighborhood. He starts dropping the words "fucking coons" at one point. Given that, it's not likely he asked nicely why he's was there either. If he even did.

Also, according to the transcript, he basically visibly stalked Trayvon. Most intelligent people wouldn't stop to ask the suspicious dude muttering to them on a (possibly not visible depending on the light levels) phone what's up, they'd hightail it out of there if they saw some creepy guy following them through the night. That's called exercising your common sense and duty to flee, which Trayvon did.

Archonex on
  • Options

"going home"
    "oh ok"

Or they're worried that the crazy guy who's been following them might be dangerous.

Agreed, but I assume his house was near by which would allow him to go home without engaging in a "dangerous" man. What instead happened was that he ambushed Zimmerman for unknown reasons.

How DARE he not run for his life away from the guy who was yelling at him and following him in his car. Trying to run away from someone in a car is a GREEEEEEEEAT idea.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

"going home"
    "oh ok"

Agreed, but I assume his house was near by which would allow him to go home without engaging in a "dangerous" man. What instead happened was that he ambushed Zimmerman for unknown reasons.

It's an American suburb. They tend to be on the large side.

• Options

"going home"
    "oh ok"

So maybe he tries to run, and Zimmerman grabs him? No, you think it's much more likely that he's Evil Batman, even though you admit you have no specific reason for it. Zimmerman already has a reason to start a fight: he's a wannabe crimefighter and Martin is obviously up to no good.

• Options
    <snip>

I'm kinda curious how the conservatives ended up flocking to Zimmerman, I mean isn't law and order supposed to be something of a priority?

It's a counter because he thinks Western culture is decadent and depraved and everything should be just like good ol Turkmeinistanington, home of freedom and justice for all.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    <snip>

Look at this thread. The gun rights crowd realizes that this case could turn public opinion against their heretofore unopposed march through the nation's laws, so they're trying their best to turn this into a "good shoot."

This discussion has been closed.