As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Men: Resisting Avengers Oppression For Five Decades

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Broo wants to be in the Nova Corps!
    prv12058_pg3.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    He needs to meet up with Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I so want to love Pacheco's art for WatXmen but it's just to frantic and confusing for the most part.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That's not Pacheco, that's Bachalo

and personally, most of the time I really like it, but it is true that sometimes it seems like the action gets away from him and everything gets kind of confusing.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That's a really cool and inventive tool for exposition

also Broo is great.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I take back most of the bad things I said about Jason Aaron's last Wolverine arc - he nailed the final issue.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    GAMBIT2012001_DC11_02.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    GAMBIT2012001_DC11_02.jpg

Hah! I wondered who the Manns were working on for this. Asmus working with them on a Gambit book sounds great, and I'm not even a Gambit fan.

The Mann brothers showed me and my wife some sketches and such that they were pitching at Marvel for this earlier in the year, and at that point didn't know the visual direction they were going to get to go with it. I really, really hope Marvel liked their ideas, because the sketches they had were pretty amazing looking.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    It's nice to see Asmus get a book that doesn't have its' death predestined.

huntresssig.jpg
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    What/who is that giant tree monster?

With Love and Courage
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That would be the baby Krakoa that is living in the school grounds.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Ender wrote: »
    What/who is that giant tree monster?

In the page from Wolverine and the X-men? if so, that's a spawn of Krakoa the living island, it is a student! ( it is awesome)

edit: He is literally the land the school is built on, and considers itself their protector also.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    When Wolverine and some of the X-Men splintered away from Cyclops' group, it is discovered that Beast has built the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning on top of a "male" spawn of Krakoa.[8] After Quentin Quire manages to reason with him, the Krakoa spawn contacts Rachel Summers who ends up translating for him when Rachel tells Wolverine that the Hellfire Club made Krakoa attack them and that he is a mutant like the X-Men. When Rachel mentions that Krakoa keeps apologizing and wants to join the X-Men, Wolverine ends up letting Krakoa stay as a part of the school.[9] Not soon after the school began having money difficulties, it is Krakoa who solves the school's problems by growing great quantities diamonds on the trees he produces.[10]

I dislike the sloppy retconn, but bolded part is awesome enough that I find this more than acceptable.

Marvel may get some of my money again.

With Love and Courage
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I am pretty excited for that Gambit series and I actively dislike Gambit.

CYpGAPn.png
    The book will stray from previous Gambit conventions like the Thieves Guild, and instead attempt to "re-introduce" the character for a new audience with new characters and stories. Gambit will be breaking away from the X-Men for a while (despite still being involved in two X-Men titles, "Astonishing" and "Legacy"), and will return to life as a thief, going into space and going up against Kirby-esque monsters. There will also be a supposed emphasis on Gambit's sexy side, thanks to the sleek and stylish art of the Manns.

Hells yes. Remember when Gambit used to show up Wolverine all the time, and he was actually a cool character because of what he did, and not because the writer said so? This sounds like we're getting THAT Gambit again.

Well that at least sounds like the best thing one could do with Gambit

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    The book will stray from previous Gambit conventions like the Thieves Guild, and instead attempt to "re-introduce" the character for a new audience with new characters and stories. Gambit will be breaking away from the X-Men for a while (despite still being involved in two X-Men titles, "Astonishing" and "Legacy"), and will return to life as a thief, going into space and going up against Kirby-esque monsters. There will also be a supposed emphasis on Gambit's sexy side, thanks to the sleek and stylish art of the Manns.

Hells yes. Remember when Gambit used to show up Wolverine all the time, and he was actually a cool character because of what he did, and not because the writer said so? This sounds like we're getting THAT Gambit again.

I remember enjoying the first Gambit book, and yes, he and Wolverine were a fun pair to watch sniping at each other.

I remember enjoying the first Gambit book, and yes, he and Wolverine were a fun pair to watch sniping at each other.

"Bang, you dead."

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Asmus makes me want to give the book a shot. I like moving away from the Thieves Guild, that's what has my interest more than anything.

I liked Asmus' Gen Hope stuff. What else has he done?

huntresssig.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    A 3 part story called Escape From the Negative Zone that involved, Cyclops, Hope, Steve Rogers, and Namor. (8 bucks for the hardcover? Buy it, people!). It was a great story that showed how Cyclops and Cap should react to each other as opposed to what's going on now.

He also wrote Astonishing X-Men #43, which was a good Emma/Danger issue, and he co-wrote a Captain America & Bucky story that I didn't read because it seemed to be filler during Fear Itself.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A 3 part story called Escape From the Negative Zone that involved, Cyclops, Hope, Steve Rogers, and Namor. (8 bucks for the hardcover? Buy it, people!). It was a great story that showed how Cyclops and Cap should react to each other as opposed to what's going on now.

He also wrote Astonishing X-Men #43, which was a good Emma/Danger issue, and he co-wrote a Captain America & Bucky story that I didn't read because it seemed to be filler during Fear Itself.

Not disagreeing with you on principle but I think A vs. X-men outsold the EftNZ crossover just a tiny bit, characterization by damned.

Course, we'll see how well future A vs. X-men issues will sell but with Wanda being the focus in the second half that should keep sales strong in theory.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    man i cannot wait for more Wanda

One of my favourite Marvel characters right there

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote: »

I have always been fond her her but like Black Widow I feel that she is somewhat lacking in distinction when it comes to her personality.

Hopefully she will be back in the Avengers where Wanda and Vision can have little robot wizard babies soon

Solar wrote: »

I have always been fond her her but like Black Widow I feel that she is somewhat lacking in distinction when it comes to her personality.

Hopefully she will be back in the Avengers where Wanda and Vision can have little robot wizard babies soon

This is true. Really Marvel should just hire me to redo all of their badly-used women. I will spark that interest!

huntresssig.jpg
    Thing is that there is a lot of potential in those characters and it feels weird that they have been around for so long without being defined clearly. What is the Scarlet Witch like as a person? I read Busiek's Avengers and I couldn't really tell you now. Same with the Black Widow, and hell even guys like Wonder Man. They all have a lot that could be used but are weirdly bland. I love Wanda as much as the next fan, but I'm not really sure why.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Part of the problem is that Scarlet Witch's powers are kinda shitty and inconsistent

when her mutant power was just altering probabilities, that works. Longshot does that too!

but when she is just straight up using magic? How is that a mutant power? Does that mean Dr. Strange is a mutant?

She is just in this weird no man's land between the X-Men and the rest of the Marvel U and it is annoying

CYpGAPn.png
    I would have used decimation to clear that up, really

Either she uses up all her magic to do it and thus only is a mutant now

or she depowers herself and is now an actual witch (why she became an actual witch in the first place is beyond me, but whatever)

because gypsies is why, Solar

huntresssig.jpg
    probably, yeah

I think this is the first time I've ever seen anybody actually say they like the Scarlet Witch.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen anybody actually say they like the Scarlet Witch.

I like the Scarlet Witch, Hope, Mystique, Black Widow, etc - and I will fight anyone over any one of them RAAAR solidarity.

huntresssig.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    But cooties

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that Scarlet Witch's powers are kinda shitty and inconsistent

when her mutant power was just altering probabilities, that works. Longshot does that too!

but when she is just straight up using magic? How is that a mutant power? Does that mean Dr. Strange is a mutant?

She is just in this weird no man's land between the X-Men and the rest of the Marvel U and it is annoying

Wanda was trained in magic by Agatha Harkness, a non-mutant witch that used to hang out with the Fantastic Four (she was Franklin's godmother and nanny for a long time.)

Agatha recognized that Wanda's powers touched on Chaos, which is part of magic (or, at least was, back during that point in the Marvel U. No idea now.) Agatha also realized that without training in Chaos, Wanda's powers could one day do something horribly catastrophic (like, ya know, wiping out all mutants.) So she trained her in real magic so that she could control it.

Of course, no one's seen Agatha Harkness in years in the Marvel U, so that could all have been retconned out.

I love to hate Hope, certainly

Turambar wrote: »
    But cooties

Cooties got us Kitty's Brood. Cooties are real, and far more powerful than you can imagine.

huntresssig.jpg
    I thought Agatha Harkness turned out to be some colossal evil, like Dormammu wearing an old lady for a lark or something.

huntresssig.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I thought Agatha Harkness turned out to be some colossal evil, like Dormammu wearing an old lady for a lark or something.

Hmm, I hadn't heard that, so I wiki'd it ... I guess the "evil" Agatha was the Ultimates version? No clue

And I guess in the 616 universe, Wanda killed Agatha in Avengers Disassembled, which came out while I was on my comics hiatus so I missed that.

Turambar wrote: »
    But cooties

Cooties got us Kitty's Brood. Cooties are real, and far more powerful than you can imagine.

I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit

Arryn wrote: »

Hmm, I hadn't heard that, so I wiki'd it ... I guess the "evil" Agatha was the Ultimates version? No clue

And I guess in the 616 universe, Wanda killed Agatha in Avengers Disassembled, which came out while I was on my comics hiatus so I missed that.

I'm probably misremembering some old Bronze Age plot, it had Starfox in it and everything.

huntresssig.jpg