As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Men: Resisting Avengers Oppression For Five Decades

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Ender wrote: »
    The Avengers don't want Hope because she is a mutant they want Hope because the Phoenix Force is heading to her and can kill everything

I don't understand why this is even a problem, honestly.

The Avengers defeat / murder Gods and a variety of other cosmic existential threats on a daily basis. Hell, they're probably letting a few of them sharpen their fangs while they distract themselves fighting the X-Men.

Why not just roll-up the Pheonix Force (surely between Wanda & Strange it would more or less be a non-issue?) and call her a day?

They're trying that, too. Getting Hope is the backup plan that they put into action even as Thor lead an Avengers team against the Phoenix Force while its still in space. Captain America is taking no chances, since the Phoenix Force has already destroyed several worlds recently.

See this weeks AvsX #4 preview for how well that is working out.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well they're kinda trying to do that by sending a team out in space to try and stop the Phoenix Force or at least slow it down long enough to get Hope off-planet.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I'm just not sure Cap game plan here. He knows what happens when you piss off the receptacle of God-like power.

The line flows from Cable > Hope. And they just beat up Cable (who fired the first volley), while Cyclops tried to cool the situation down. What made Cap think showing up at Hope's home with a Helicarrier was going to work?

AvX makes no sense. They wanted the drama without doing the work of justifying it in the story.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    The Avengers don't want Hope because she is a mutant they want Hope because the Phoenix Force is heading to her and can kill everything

The Avengers defeat / murder Gods and a variety of other cosmic existential threats on a daily basis. Hell, they're probably letting a few of them sharpen their fangs while they distract themselves fighting the X-Men.

Why not just roll-up the Pheonix Force (surely between Wanda & Strange it would more or less be a non-issue?) and call her a day?

They're trying that, too. Getting Hope is the backup plan that they put into action even as Thor lead an Avengers team against the Phoenix Force while its still in space. Captain America is taking no chances, since the Phoenix Force has already destroyed several worlds recently.

:/
    ...Whacking the Pheonix with Mjölnir was the best 'plan' Cap could come up with? Not, say, having Dr. Strange lock it away in a pocket dimension? Or having Wanda wish forth a bunch of extra space for the Pheonix to have to travel through?

"Thor, go hit it with your hammer. This plan is my most cunning yet and cannot possibly fail."

With Love and Courage
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

:/
    ...Whacking the Pheonix with Mjölnir was the best 'plan' Cap could come up with? Not, say, having Dr. Strange lock it away in a pocket dimension? Or having Wanda wish forth a bunch of extra space for the Pheonix to have to travel through?

"Thor, go hit it with your hammer. This plan is my most cunning yet and cannot possibly fail."

No their plan was to use some sort of energy net to trap the Phoenix. It didn't work.

Quire.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Regarding the AvsX #4 preview...
    That doesn't seem to match what's going on in Secret Avengers. Of course I'll wait to judge till I actually read it but it just's a bit jarring.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2012
    AvX Infinite #2 Preview.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=4253&page=2
    I think Cyclops may actually win this thing. A new Utopia, perhaps?

Automaticzen on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    AvX Infinite #2 Preview.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=4253&page=2
    I think Cyclops may actually win this thing. A new Utopia, perhaps?
    Moontopia?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Avengers are not jobbing the summer their monumentally successful movie comes out.

Won't be surprised if we get an X-Men "hope spot" though.

Gaslight on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    yeah I think calling Cyclops "winning" when that issue comes out half way through the event is a bit early

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    cyclops is going to probably succeed in that decimation will in all liklihood be reversed

but I think it will be a case of that happened despite, rather than because of, his plans

Blankzilla wrote: »
    yeah I think calling Cyclops "winning" when that issue comes out half way through the event is a bit early

Solar covered my definition of Cyclops winning. WaX outright stated that's all he wants, even if he himself goes down for it.

Solar wrote: »
    cyclops is going to probably succeed in that decimation will in all liklihood be reversed

but I think it will be a case of that happened despite, rather than because of, his plans
    Yeah but I mean

the Avengers don't lose if that happens

they are not anti-mutant

really it is a win-win thing

CYpGAPn.png
    yeah the Avengers win if the world is still around, basically

which obviously it will be

Solar wrote: »

Yeah but I mean

the Avengers don't lose if that happens

they are not anti-mutant

really it is a win-win thing
    True, but if Hope is the rebirth for the mutant race, than Cyke was right, and there was no need for Cap's full court press. That'd be a loss for Cap personally, and for the entire Avengers crew for falling in lockstep behind him.

Yeah but that ain't gonna happen with just HEY MUTANTS ARE BACK CYKE WAS RIGHT YAAAAY

that Infinite issue and NO MORE AVENGERS start with issue 6

there are 12 issues of AvX

CYpGAPn.png
    1336770915.jpg
    Details on Monday

CYpGAPn.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Sooo either Jean Grey is getting resurrected or we are getting something monumentally stupid on the level of Avengers 1950s.

huntresssig.jpg
    God that was so dumb

it would have been fine if it was just that Chaykin mini that could be ignored

but no, take up half of every issue of New Avengers for, what, 5 issues?

CYpGAPn.png
    Is this about "Yesterday's X-Men" from future Iron Man's board?

Is this about "Yesterday's X-Men" from future Iron Man's board?
    Nah, that was the First to Last story that was done a while back.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really hope it's not another origin story/ re-tweeking of the origin story, retconning of any kind, etc.

Hopefully it just means the first "new" x-men after the Phoenix brings all the mutants back. *Crosses fingers*

Caveman Paws on
    I really hope it's not another origin story/ re-tweeking of the origin story, retconning of any kind, etc.

Hopefully it just means the first "new" x-men after the Phoenix brings all the mutants back. *Crosses fingers*

It should be that future Uncanny team with Quire, Kid Gladiator, and Idie on it if it's anything like that. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

huntresssig.jpg
    Man that Chaykin mini was so bad

also I hope Jean Grey is not back

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What if it's Ed Brubaker coming back to tell a story about those Deadly Genesis X-Men, noooooo.....

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    the thing about the 1959 Avengers is that it wasn't a bad idea, it just should have only been a mini

though how the hell were silver sable and kraven even alive back then

that is my biggest problem

also it felt like a slap in the face to the agents of atlas

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    1959 Avengers should be ignored forever

it was terrible in all ways

especially the art

fuck Howard Chaykin's art so goddamn much

So apparently the current Wolverine arc is about Mystique teaming up with the Hellfire Club to take down the Jean Grey school. Someone tell me this is terrible so I don't have to go picking up back issues next week.

huntresssig.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    The current arc in WatX is the AvX stuff.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Uncanny X-Force had some mention about Sabretooth scoping out the school because of Genesis.

It also had a super fat Deadpool fight vampires by farting out a Seraphim ala Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    God that was so dumb

What bugs me, is that we already had a 1950's Avengers, and it was called Agents of Atlas.

The current arc in WatX is the AvX stuff.

Not WatX, actual Wolverine.

huntresssig.jpg
    Munch wrote: »
    God that was so dumb

What bugs me, is that we already had a 1950's Avengers, and it was called Agents of Atlas.

Yeah

I mean, I never even read AoA

but they were already there, man!

why steal that thunder?

They were even in Avengers Forever!

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Arivia wrote: »
    So apparently the current Wolverine arc is about Mystique teaming up with the Hellfire Club to take down the Jean Grey school. Someone tell me this is terrible so I don't have to go picking up back issues next week.

That must be an upcoming arc... that's definitely not going in Wolverine right now, unless my LCS is way behind somehow.

Hensler on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Ya, he's still dealing with Dr. Rot at the moment. It must be the next arc.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

It should be that future Uncanny team with Quire, Kid Gladiator, and Idie on it if it's anything like that. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

As much as I like that team, I am really in no hurry to see the X-Men's grimdark future be reinforced by future teams/characters. Now, if they get a book where they over come the grimdarkness and the future of modern day x-men is not a complete poop sandwich, then I'm in.

Wonder if this is the First X-Men thing, by Neal Adams and Christos Gage

Based on Wolverine's constant appearances everywhere it would add merit to the expanding earth theory!

Neal Adams is batshit crazy but I have always liked him, for some reason

Last time I saw his art was New Avengers' point one issue, and it was uuuugly.