As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bought a House...

DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's DaughterIn love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I bought a house. I will have all my stuff officially moved in this weekend. This is my first experience living alone (well gf will be there with me). I'm a 24 year old male.

So like... I don't know everything seems to be going smooth SO FAR. Any tips? Suggestions? Things to look out for? As you can see I'm super new to this whole situation. Trying to avoid being blindsided by... things. But I don't even know what those things could be!

DemonStacey on

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    It is going to be a lot of hard work and responsibility. You are going to be blindsided, there is no way around it. If you are handy than make sure you have basic tools. If you aren't make sure you have money saved up to pay someone who is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    First of all congrats! Second of all, you will be blindsided, but probably not by anything too terrible.

I'd like to add to the above, that if you are not handy, there is no reason you can't BECOME so. Guides of all sort are online, I recommend at least pondering fixing things yourself before you call someone. There is a lot of satisfaction and saved money to be had that way. As far as tool buying goes, I highly recommend a "buy it once" policy. Buy the best you can afford, without springing for silly things. If you stick to brands like craftsman, you won't go too far wrong, and paying for one hammer that will last you forever sure beats buying a cheapie first, and then later wanting/needing a better one and putting down money again. This could be a great time to ask older/ more established friends and family if they have extra tools kicking around that they would like to get rid of. I know my dad has a bad habit of "losing" one tool, just to buy a replacement and later find the original.
    Likewise, if you don't have the interest or time, there is nothing wrong with calling in an expert, just know that that can get expensive, fast.

Also remember, keeping everything in shape now is way easier than fixing it later.

On the personal notes, if you have lived with your girlfriend before you can probably ignore everything I am about to say, but if not...just try and realize that living with someone is very different from dating them, and there WILL be trade offs you both have to make to make it work. I am not saying that is a bad thing, just a different thing. I think living together is a great way to deepen a relationship and further test compatibility. Just be prepared for the problems that come from having to exit your own nest to guarantee time apart from that person. (And understand that she is having to do the same)

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    One thing I can tell you that will save you a ton of money: ask around for a friend/family member who is handy. You can either pay a guy to come in and fix something for $400 one day, or you can buy a friend a case of beer.

I don't know how many times friends of mine tell me they had x done for $texas when I could have dropped by and done it for free. All you have to do is ask. And if you want to try your hand at something yourself, there is almost always a whole bunch of Youtube videos of people doing it step-by-step.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    First of all congrats! Second of all, you will be blindsided, but probably not by anything too terrible.

I'd like to add to the above, that if you are not handy, there is no reason you can't BECOME so. Guides of all sort are online, I recommend at least pondering fixing things yourself before you call someone. There is a lot of satisfaction and saved money to be had that way. As far as tool buying goes, I highly recommend a "buy it once" policy. Buy the best you can afford, without springing for silly things. If you stick to brands like craftsman, you won't go too far wrong, and paying for one hammer that will last you forever sure beats buying a cheapie first, and then later wanting/needing a better one and putting down money again. This could be a great time to ask older/ more established friends and family if they have extra tools kicking around that they would like to get rid of. I know my dad has a bad habit of "losing" one tool, just to buy a replacement and later find the original.
    Likewise, if you don't have the interest or time, there is nothing wrong with calling in an expert, just know that that can get expensive, fast.

Also remember, keeping everything in shape now is way easier than fixing it later.

On the personal notes, if you have lived with your girlfriend before you can probably ignore everything I am about to say, but if not...just try and realize that living with someone is very different from dating them, and there WILL be trade offs you both have to make to make it work. I am not saying that is a bad thing, just a different thing. I think living together is a great way to deepen a relationship and further test compatibility. Just be prepared for the problems that come from having to exit your own nest to guarantee time apart from that person. (And understand that she is having to do the same)

Bought my first house and moved in two weeks after turning 21, within the first 6 months I lost some fence, a water main broke, and I had a large leak in the roof. I have gotten a hell of a lot better with my hands and watching youtube while on a ladder.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    It's been a year since we bought a house, and the only thing that's kicking my ass is yard work. In my defense, it was really shitty when we took it over, and we made a lot of improvements since then, but it's still far from being a "nice" yard. I mainly fell behind on weeds and leaves management, now I'm spending 3X the time to fix it.

So my advice is keep to a schedule for maintaining the yard, cuz once you fall behind, it's a bitch.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah ask your friends for help if they're handy. It'll save you so much money if you aren't. Also learn, it's incredibly easy to fix a door, or window, or other issues. Though unless you're changing just a faucet, leaving plumbing to plumbers. Once you start doing that, shit becomes expensive quick. Sure you could save $100 fixing your shower head but if you fuck up that $200 repair becomes $800.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The only obvious thing is make sure you have property insurance for the big stuff.

The small unexpected stuff? There reason it is unexpected is because you can't really predict it. Just be sensible and try and keep a small amount of cash for emergencies (this is general life advice).

The only other thing is avoid putting stuff off. If something seems off or is showing signs of wearing out or breaking, start investigating the matter now, not later when it has gone kaput and done more damage in the process.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the advice so far!

Luckily I have lot's of tools because I do the work on my car so I have that covered. Yard work will be mostly covered by a buddy of mine who enjoys gardening so I donated my backyard to him. I've already been living with the GF for a few months now.

So with those problems out of the way I guess it's mainly a matter of maintaining everything. Any particulars I should look out for that will let me know something is about to blow up?

Specific question:

It seems the average door is about 80" tall. My doorways seem to be about 77" high. Do I get these cut down at Lowe's or something? Do doors normally need to be adjusted like this?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    It seems like when you buy a house, a lot of stuff goes wrong in the first year or so that you are there. Then things tend to smooth out. I don't know whey this is, if the old owners stopped keeping up on maintenance in the end, or you just need to get used to what your house needed.

Also, i grew up in houses, and i don't remember anything ever really going wrong or being broken. So, when stuff happened in my house i was really upset that i got a bad house or something. I was talking to my parents and they told me that, "you were a kid, why would we tell you about what was wrong with the house? Stuff broke all the time!" So i felt much better after that.

Also, don't get down on yourself for missing something stupid. You don't know what you don't know. Eventually you will figure it out.

For example. We have central Air in our house, no one told me there was a filter in there which needed to be changed periodically. Well, long story short... the air flow started getting restricted, and the condenser started freezing up and thawing. and all of a sudden i had this mystery water on the floor in the basement. Well, a visit from my AC guy and an embarrassed shrug on my part later and that problem will not happen again.

If I can offer you any advice... Pay attention to sounds and things out of the ordinary, and fix what you can. But know that no matter what, stuff will break when you least expect it. You will fix it, and life will go on. Don't loose any sleep over what might happen.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    My mom just bought a new house a couple years back (sooo much better than the old one, let me tell you-- now that's a house where everything goes wrong). I think one thing you can and should really do is keep an eye and an ear out when it eventually starts raining (or maybe it's already been doing that right now where you are, dunno). Try to catch any leaks ASAP. I would expect that's one of the more surprising things in getting a new house... as a homeowner, not a contractor, you wouldn't necessarily be able to spot a potential leak without seeing/hearing it happen. Sooo, try to catch those if you notice them and get 'em fixed. My mom hasn't really had trouble with her new house... but I could give you a whole treatise on the house I grew up in (seeing the original photos before they finalized the sale makes me wonder why my parents bought it in the first place). Hopefully you've had somebody good inspect your house before you bought it, because that means a lot fewer surprises along the way!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Essee wrote: »
    My mom just bought a new house a couple years back (sooo much better than the old one, let me tell you-- now that's a house where everything goes wrong). I think one thing you can and should really do is keep an eye and an ear out when it eventually starts raining (or maybe it's already been doing that right now where you are, dunno). Try to catch any leaks ASAP. I would expect that's one of the more surprising things in getting a new house... as a homeowner, not a contractor, you wouldn't necessarily be able to spot a potential leak without seeing/hearing it happen. Sooo, try to catch those if you notice them and get 'em fixed. My mom hasn't really had trouble with her new house... but I could give you a whole treatise on the house I grew up in (seeing the original photos before they finalized the sale makes me wonder why my parents bought it in the first place). Hopefully you've had somebody good inspect your house before you bought it, because that means a lot fewer surprises along the way!

That's a good thought with the rain! I will explore all over the house the first time it rains while I'm there.

Anyone have any info on my door troubles?

• Options
    I would expect them to be able to get you a 77" door? I don't think cutting it down to size will help unless it's just a straight board with no decorations.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    if you don't have one, get a battery powered drill from a major brand (Craftsman, Makita, Milwaukee, etc.)... it's literally THE MOST USEFUL TOOL OF ALL TIME for the home, backyard, car, etc.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Is the 80" you're quoting include the framing of a pre-hung door? Because door height should be a pretty standardized thing on most houses, pre-war house constructed excepted.

My first 5 years of house ownership helped (hah!) me learn things about plumbing, hvac, and light carpentry. I leave any electical work more complex than installing light fixtures or fans up to the pros though. That said, simply having a multimeter and not being stupid (use your breaker box and alway realize that if you cannot see A path to ground then you ahaste path) has saved me bucks in diagnosing problems. Plumbing is doable (pier foundation) and I find the main cost in hiring pros goes to remunerating immigrants to do the grunt work (digging) or the poo tax, though i've PVC pipes, not copper, so no soldering skills required. I've spent a lot of time on DIY websites.

Much like the rain thing, test out stuff before you need it. A lot of hvac calls result from when summer/winter hits and the system gets taxed after 6 months of non-use. So check out your ac now before it gets too hot and all the hvac guys are booked for a week solid cause everyone's got ac issues. Same thing with the heat in fall. Replace your filters every month.

And yard work has consumed more of my time and efforts than all other house-related activities combined, by at least an order of magnitude. Have your gardener friend plant/landscape with an eye to ease of maintenance and hardiness for your climate.

Check out your attic and crawl space, preferably during a time of year when you won't die of heat exhaustion. Best to find out you have issues before rodents start running around in your house or you cannot figure out why an area is so cold/hot.

• Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    congratulations!!! Moving from NM back to Nor-Cal in June and I am looking to buy a house finally, a bit nervous about the whole thing. Credit is great though and I should be able to put down 20%

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    UPDATES!

I'm trying to get a pre-built door quoted at some places online.

Everything is officially in the house!

One that I'm trying to figure out is my bathroom light.

It's one of those tube type bulbs about 20" long. I just put a new one in and it required A LOT of finegling to get it to turn on. The generally installation of it is to push the it straight in then twist the whole thing 90 degrees. It eventually did start working but the next did it stopped again and no matter how much I wiggle it the damn thing just won't turn back on.

Any suggestions for something like this? I;d rather not bother calling an electrician if I don't have to. I was thinking maybe it not setting tightly on the prongs and maybe if I take a pair of pliers and squeeze them together a bit it may set better? Would this be a logical thing to try?

Thanks!

• Options
    You mean a fluorescent bulb? I don't recall if those have ballast that needs to be replaced in the fixture or anything. Worth a check.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    You mean a fluorescent bulb? I don't recall if those have ballast that needs to be replaced in the fixture or anything. Worth a check.

yes, one of those fellows. Now this ballast you speak of... how do I know if it's there?

• Options
    Check in and around where you attached it. Most of the time they are part of the thing you attach them too. Sometimes a set of lights run off a single one (3-4 per fixture like you'd see in an office).

• Options
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I have a few of those, they are a bit fiddly as the contacts are usually not as tight as they should be for a nice fit. Do NOT go in their with pliers unless you unplug it or shut off the breaker feeding it. I probably wouldn't recommend squeezing the contacts to fix it anyway, except as a last ditch thing before replacing the fixture.

While on I just rotate the bulb slowly over and under until the prongs set in the contact where they are happy. Could be you got a crap bulb or it got damaged bringing it home. I notice that when they are about to go fluorescents get fiddly turning on, get dim, get buzzy, and sometimes won't really turn on all the way until you tap them lightly. Could be also the prongs on the bulb aren't catching the contacts just right.

If you know the bulb is good and rotating it in the socket isn't working then I'd get some contact cleaner and clean the contacts (fixture should be unplugged or breaker shut off) before trying to physically fuck with the contacts.

• Options
    If it were me I'd rip the whole god damned thing out and put a sane fixture in because fuck dealing with non-CFL fluorescent bulbs.

• Options
    Alrighty, I fiddle around with these suggestions when I get home. Here's hoping I manage it zap free!

• Options
    Kick the breaker off before you do this obviously, don't kill yourself to fix a light bulb.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    turning off the lights is probably fine since it is likely not a live socket. unless its hooked up to some weird fan.

though if unsure, definitely throw the breaker.

though i agree, rip that sucker out

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Plus replacing a fixture is a nice easy way to get your feet wet with house updates/repairs without breaking the bank or causing so much damage you don't know what the fuck.

• Options
    bakorbakor Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Alrighty, I fiddle around with these suggestions when I get home. Here's hoping I manage it zap free!

Congratulations on buying a house. There is a lot to learn and a lot of advice to give. I've owned multiple properties for 8 years, been doing remodeling work for over 20 years, and have a real estate license. That said, this is all friendly advice and you should always check with your own professionals first.

Get to know a good local hardware store and it's manager/owner if there is one nearby. They can be an invaluable resource and it's good to support local businesses since you own property close to it. If not, Home Depot and Lowes are very often staffed by competent people who have done building trade work.

Talk to your friends and family who also own property.

Check with your county or local government to see if there is a household hazardous waste site where you can properly dispose of such things. My county offer this service for free and they will take all kinds of stuff which shouldn't go to the landfill (ie fluorescent bulbs, old paint, greasy rags, etc). They should have a list of items accepted or not. The same goes for yard waste if you regular garbage service doesn't already cover it.

For your specific questions about the light: Look at the light fixture to see if there is a label specifying what type of bulb is required. There are numerous types of bulbs in all shapes, sizes, and socket types. It's important that you get the correct one. It should also list the maximum wattage allowed in the fixture. Heed this warning and do not just put whatever size bulb you want in there. Using the incorrect bulb can shorten the bulbs life and possibly shorten the life of the ballast.
    If everything with the bulb is correct, then try rotating the bulb while it is in place several times. The contacts can become dirty or corroded over time and lead to flickering or unresponsive light. If that does not work, take the bulb out and inspect the contacts using a flashlight. They are usually copper. If you see black or green coloration, they are dirty and should be cleaned. Make sure the power to the fixture is turned off before working on it. Using come electrical contact cleaner on a Q-tip can work wonders.
    If the contacts are not broken or dirty, the next culprit would be the ballast. When a ballast is near the end of its life the light will begin to flicker, there will be a buzzing noise louder than usual, or the light won't work at all. Replacing this is an electricians work. Get a professional if you are not experienced with it yourself both for installation and proper disposal of the old ballast. If it's that far gone, you can always consider replacing the fixture with something more environmentally friendly and less costly. An fixture that uses LED bulbs are more money up front, but save you money down the road on less replacement of the bulbs and less energy use.

Good luck!

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    illig wrote: »
    if you don't have one, get a battery powered drill from a major brand (Craftsman, Makita, Milwaukee, etc.)... it's literally THE MOST USEFUL TOOL OF ALL TIME for the home, backyard, car, etc.

Yes. I recommend the Milwaukee brand. The M12 ones are great, portable and extremely durable. The batteries charge super fast. The M18 drill drivers are probably a bit overkill for occasional home use. I've used both for extended periods of time at work. I have also used the DeWalt and Makita equivalents, and by far prefer the Milwaukees.

If you are handy at all, the impact driver also comes in a kit with the drill, they're great for quickly driving/removing screws.. I've driven in 1/2 inch HUS Concrete anchors with one.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    turning off the lights is probably fine since it is likely not a live socket. unless its hooked up to some weird fan.

though if unsure, definitely throw the breaker.

though i agree, rip that sucker out

Please just throw the breaker. You have no idea how the fixture is wired.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Find where your water valves are for your house. There is a 100% chance that knowledge will save you a lot of grief. And also find where your fuses/breakers are for your house. Check to make sure your gutters aren't clogged (this is surprisingly important). The rest is mentioned or pretty obvious.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    If you live somewhere that gets cold in the winter make sure to turn off your outside water (to any hose bibs you have, etc) in the fall. If you leave that on the water in the exterior pipes can freeze, expand, and burst the pipes, which will be thousands of dollars in damage that is explicitly not covered by any homeowners insurance you have.

I just set a reminder in my iphone for early November to turn off outside water so I remember.

• Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Find where your water valves are for your house. There is a 100% chance that knowledge will save you a lot of grief. And also find where your fuses/breakers are for your house. Check to make sure your gutters aren't clogged (this is surprisingly important). The rest is mentioned or pretty obvious.

Additionally make sure you know where your circuit breakers are in the event of a power cut, it's handy to have a specific place to keep a torch / candles.

I would suggest that you have a crack at any smaller DIY jobs that come up, with the exception of anything involving Gas or Electricity. It's great to learn how to do stuff and the more you get used to doing the less daunting bigger jobs will seem.

Enjoy your house!

• Options
    Thanks for all the new tips!

I didn't get a chance to fiddle too much with the light last night as school work got in the way... but hopefully tonight!

• Options
    Orestus wrote: »
    If you live somewhere that gets cold in the winter make sure to turn off your outside water (to any hose bibs you have, etc) in the fall. If you leave that on the water in the exterior pipes can freeze, expand, and burst the pipes, which will be thousands of dollars in damage that is explicitly not covered by any homeowners insurance you have.

I just set a reminder in my iphone for early November to turn off outside water so I remember.

Oddly enough, I don't ever turn off the water to my outside taps. Why? I can't.

When we moved in here, I checked everywhere for the shut-off. There are two shut-offs off the main supply under the stairs in the basement. One of those turns off all the water to the house. The other does.... nothing as far as I can tell. Since my basement is 100% finished except for under those stairs and the small furnace/laundry room, I'm thinking they covered up the outdoor shut-off.

I've never had a problem with pipes freezing, thankfully.

Actually, that's a lie. Our pipes froze our first winter, but it was the pipes in the downstairs half bath. Turns out the cold storage room had no insulation above the door, and cold air just freely roamed in the ceiling there, right where the half bath supply lines are. But there's been nothing related to the outdoor faucets freezing. Thankfully.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Figgy wrote: »

When we moved in here, I checked everywhere for the shut-off. There are two shut-offs off the main supply under the stairs in the basement. One of those turns off all the water to the house. The other does.... nothing as far as I can tell. Since my basement is 100% finished except for under those stairs and the small furnace/laundry room, I'm thinking they covered up the outdoor shut-off.

Actually, that's a lie. Our pipes froze our first winter, but it was the pipes in the downstairs half bath. Turns out the cold storage room had no insulation above the door, and cold air just freely roamed in the ceiling there, right where the half bath supply lines are. But there's been nothing related to the outdoor faucets freezing. Thankfully.

I had a similar issue when I moved into my current house. First major thing I did was to install shut-offs for the external valves in an easy to reach place. Definitely a good thing to do if you're handy.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

I had a similar issue when I moved into my current house. First major thing I did was to install shut-offs for the external valves in an easy to reach place. Definitely a good thing to do if you're handy.

I certainly would if it didn't involve cutting a hole in the ceiling. I don't really want an ugly hole/door in the ceiling for a shut-off. Especially since this house is now 13 years old and the taps have been fine thus far.

• Options
    New question! My gf thinks the oven guy said I need to light the oven pilot. But the back section of the oven is kind of warm (as if the pilot light was on) and when I turn it on real quick it sounds like there is a flame lighting up.

Is there any good way to know if it's lit without pulling it apart?

Thanks.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You could always try lighting the pilot light, and if it doesn't explode and you can use the oven then it's on, if not then it's something else.

Also if your oven is kicking out gas without a pilot, that may be a huge problem.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    New question! My gf thinks the oven guy said I need to light the oven pilot. But the back section of the oven is kind of warm (as if the pilot light was on) and when I turn it on real quick it sounds like there is a flame lighting up.

Is there any good way to know if it's lit without pulling it apart?

Thanks.

Google your model number and I'd be surprised if you not only find the manual, but also a video on how to light the pilot. It's also possible that there is no pilot.

Is your oven working properly? When you turn it on, do you smell gas?

• Options
    I found lots of stuff on lighting the pilot, I can do that if necessary, I just couldn't find anything to let me know how to tell if it's on. Is it safe to turn on the oven for a few minutes to see if it heats up? And then if it heats up I assume that means it's lit?