As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Borderlands: OLD THREAD Who's gettin' off the bus?

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nvidia should care about Borderlands, since Randy Pitchford just fronted an ad for physx and their high end card.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I was playing borderlands 1, and some guy handed me a shield with 2,147,000,000 HP.

I'm guessing that's a hack. My friend firmly insists that it's just a "modded item" and that it's 100% legit. My friend is an idiot, right?

You can't really upgrade your gear like that, can you? Because I'm pretty sure if some guy had taken the time to mod a shield up to 2.1 billion capacity, he might not have been so careless as to drop it on me. And if he had, he may have just tried to send me a note asking for it back.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • SoSquidTasteSoSquidTaste Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Isn't a modded item precisely what hacking refers to in BL1?

Or are my panties all bunched up?

CLARITY EDIT: As far as I know, there is no way to edit the properties of any loot in BL1 within the normal confines of the game.

SoSquidTaste on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Yes, there are some weapons that you should virtually always hold on to.

Hellfires are definitely one of those.
    Are the any shotguns or ARs that fall into that category? I'd like to keep an eye out for them. I found one orange shotty so far but it seemed pretty inferior to what I already had. I haven't been able to find a better shotgun in almost 10 levels now.

JihadJesus wrote: »
    Yes, there are some weapons that you should virtually always hold on to.

Hellfires are definitely one of those.
    Are the any shotguns or ARs that fall into that category? I'd like to keep an eye out for them. I found one orange shotty so far but it seemed pretty inferior to what I already had. I haven't been able to find a better shotgun in almost 10 levels now.

Orange Bulldog shotguns are often very good. And some Atlas Ogre ARs are terrific bullet hoses. Not sure if there's a dominant type, though, the way there are for SMGs or revolvers.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've been holding onto this repeater from playthrough 1.

NKna7.png

So good. Especially with my pretty high pistol proficiency.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    My Roland keeps running into pistols better than his rifle in every stat except magazine size

It's pretty silly

VRXwDW7.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I've been holding onto this repeater from playthrough 1.

NKna7.png

So good. Especially with my pretty high pistol proficiency.

yea i have a couple ridiculous machine pistols on my roland

camo_sig.png
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    So I was playing borderlands 1, and some guy handed me a shield with 2,147,000,000 HP.

I'm guessing that's a hack. My friend firmly insists that it's just a "modded item" and that it's 100% legit. My friend is an idiot, right?

You can't really upgrade your gear like that, can you? Because I'm pretty sure if some guy had taken the time to mod a shield up to 2.1 billion capacity, he might not have been so careless as to drop it on me. And if he had, he may have just tried to send me a note asking for it back.

no... i dont remember any shields having over 3kish hps, as an example the ultra rare shields from knoxx look like
    Alacritous_Rose.png

and
    Alacritous_Omega.png

(i only ever saw 5 or 6 pearl items in my 300+ hrs of gameplay)

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Ive seen naught on my first playthrough, DLC included.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I've got 200-some-odd hours in BL1 when all is said and done and I can't recall ever seeing a single pearl drop. This includes abusing the Knoxx glitch many times and Craw runs.

I could definitely live with pearl drops being slightly more common in BL2.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    they can keep pearl drops as rare as they want

because most pearl weapons are pretty crappy compared to orange stuff

i do wish i could play more BL1 but what with this new ME3 multiplayer DLC dropping next week i don't think i'd have the time anyway

@iolo i'm sure BL2 will run fine on nvidia's stuff

it's BL1 that got fucked over when they dicked around with the ambient occlusion

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna install Borderlands on my new PC.

See what it looks like when the graphics arent on the lowest possible settings.

Maybe try a Siren.

I think I'm gonna install Borderlands on my new PC.

See what it looks like when the graphics arent on the lowest possible settings.

Maybe try a Siren.

Woooo - The new system lives! Congrats, @APODionysus. (Where are the pictures I was promised?)

Sirens are great fun. Roll down the Controller tree to Mind Games for unrivaled mob control.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I went back to my siren To dick around and it kinda irks me now - there's all that elemental DoT, but even though I know they'll die I can't just move on when they're at half health and doomed and let them keep shooting at me.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2 livestream running now.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2 livestream running now.

Damn. You beat me.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Looks like other than the look, the only real difference to the HUD is that the compass has been replaced with a minimap. And it looks like all weapons have a reload speed stat now.

I like the new look for the bigger spiderants. All spikey and stuff.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    fucking spiderants

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    Oh my word, even dying / respawning looks awesome now. This will be my favorite game ever and all I want to do is watch reload animations and die!

"I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Have they explained what the "Badass Points" that get rewarded when dude completes a challenge are for?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MarsMars Registered User regular
    It looks like they've given rocket launchers some much needed love. I'm very happy about that.

Re: badass points, it honestly wouldn't surprise me(or bother me) if they were useless outside of pointing at and saying "That's exactly how badass I am". Kind of like weapon levels in TF2.

Also I love that they made the demo basically "Spiderant Hell, v2.0"

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    RE: badass points

Gearbox: "we aren't talking about that right now"

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    is the stream recorded somewhere

that site isn't working for me

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Have they explained what the "Badass Points" that get rewarded when dude completes a challenge are for?

Im fine with them replacing the challenge system with this especially if there's a more useful reward. Like a Badass skill that is basically its own tree or something.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I hope it is some sort of character customization system, non-game effecting, of course.

Maybe let you unlock things like different hairdoos or 'staches.

edited April 2012

Your friend is a liar.

A modded weapon/sheild will still not surpass the in game limits it'll be comprised of the best possible parts ( sometimes from other shields) but that's about it . There is no way a sheild with that much HP is legitimate it's hacked to holy hell.

King Riptor on
    What do you even mean 'modded'. There is no modding of equipment in Borderlands. Anything 'modded' is inherently hacked.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think they mean modified by skills and whatnot, not modified by some non-existent item upgrade system.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, I think that friend is just dumb. Even something that gets boosted by a skill wouldn't pass those boosted stats on to anybody else.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Anyone at PAX has a chance to play yet?

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    Hrm, that doesn't really make sense. Talents don't effect shields, in that if you have a talent that buffs your shields it doesn't actually effect the shield so if you pass it to someone else there wouldn't be any reason to say "yeah they modded this up to x stat".

Well they're both hacked one is technically possible to obtain in game and one isn't.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I joined my first online game the other night. None of the games looked interesting so I took my level 61 Soldier into a game hosted by a level 9 Hunter, equipped a good team-oriented class mod, respecced, and maxed out Cauterize (shooting an ally heals them). I basically just followed him around, let him kill everything, and filled his ass with buckshot everytime he got low on health.

Got game with fame and some other co-op achievements, and it was interesting seeing enemies who would have destroyed my ass way back when I was that low-level who couldn't even scratch me now.

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Gearbox Panel at Pax East news:

bNJSe.jpg
    Deluxe Vault Hunters Edition, with that awesome Marcus Bobblehead ($99) and Ultimate Loot Hunter Edition with that awe-inspiring loot chest($149). Mikey not included.

A fifth character class, the Mechromancer was announced, and will be released after the game (60-90 days later). There is confusion if this will be free with the pre-order "Vault Hunter" club, or free entirely.

Borderlands 2 will also have skins and hats to change the appearance of your characters. They have varying levels of rarity and styles, such as manufacturers and themed looks (Black Widow Siren, for example). Having a save from the original game will unlock a skin.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh god my wallet!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Gearbox Panel at Pax East news:

bNJSe.jpg
    Deluxe Vault Hunters Edition, with that awesome Marcus Bobblehead ($99) and Ultimate Loot Hunter Edition with that awe-inspiring loot chest($149). Mikey not included.

A fifth character class, the Mechromancer was announced, and will be released after the game (60-90 days later). There is confusion if this will be free with the pre-order "Vault Hunter" club, or free entirely.

Borderlands 2 will also have skins and hats to change the appearance of your characters. They have varying levels of rarity and styles, such as manufacturers and themed looks (Black Widow Siren, for example). Having a save from the original game will unlock a skin.

Fuck.

FUCK

You have my150 bucks Pitchford. Mechromancer? I love you Gearbox. Love you forever.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I am sorely sorely tempted to preorder that vault hunter chest thing. Looks pretty damn great.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It will be mine.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    *sigh*

I never buy collector's editions but.... I think I'm losing $150. I don't see it up for preorder yet though.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Anyone at PAX has a chance to play yet?

I stood in line for 2 hours on Saturday to get my time with it, and I have to say I wish I hadn't. Because now I know what I'll be playing in September, but somehow I will have to endure the wait.

I played Maya, and I enjoyed her a whole bunch. The talents (some were clearly labeled NYI) seemed to work well and have a good idea where to drop points for a good cohesive flow. Her action skill was very good. It recharged fairly quickly and I used it a whole bunch.

There were a few mobs that had weak points that were hidden under armor. After blowing the armor off, it would eventually regenerate. Using the Phase Lock ability REALLY made those guys much easier.

All in all, I think I need a new term for something beyond a Fever Pitch, because that is where I am at the moment.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391