As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Spacebar, it only does everything.

I still find it hilarious that players can be banned for rebinding the spacebars functions on account of them all being in the same file that controls access to potentially paid for content. A plus for effort.

Wait

Is that honestly a thing?

Because if it is, I am going to be so annoyed.

Half the fun in ME2 was modding the shit out of the coalesced to fix annoying things, bind a hotkey to screenshot, and putting squadmates where they shouldn't be.

Oh yeah, and outfits. Gotta have all them outfits.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I grow more at peace the ending the longer it's been since I've seen it. Not happy with it, or all right with it, or even further away from wanting a replacement (still holding out for Indoctrination DLC), but I'm less angry every day.

But man. The guy running the Mass Effect Twitter is a machine. He's still going, taking all them tweets that all say the same thing. Must be a team of people working that thing.

That's because you're steadily approaching the 'acceptance' stage. Everyone goes through the stages, there's nothing wrong with it. /comfort

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I just unlocked a Salarian engineer. What's the preferred build for that bad boy? I'm assuming go area and durability for energy drain, but what else?

I'm not sure anything else even matters on the Salarian Engineer. GEt your Decoy going, though, he'll save your ass on Silver. Up his durability and maybe give him the Shock power, that always works well for me.
    Skexis wrote: »
    I was nursing the fear for quite a while that I wasn't good enough to play Vanguard on Silver, or even that Vanguards weren't good neough to be competitive at higher difficulties.

Managed to win 2/3 public matches on Silver, though, and I feel intensely good about it because I contributed both times. Pierce on Nova is a godsend if you use it when your Charge cooldown is already finished.

Also, the first group I played with today taught me something important - on Noveria everybody tends to stay in that one area at the top of the ladder and the two staircases, right, straight across from the landing pad? When the extraction round came up, I high-tailed it to the landing zone - but the other three guys stayed right where they were. It took me a second to realize they were treating it like any other round, which meant killing enemies almost immediately after they spawned. Nothing's going to spawn at the extraction zone, after all.

So we stayed there for a minute and a half, only falling back for the last thirty seconds, and the whole round was a lot easier for it.

Hurray for immensely competent random public teams!

Vanguard on silver can be insanely effective for crowd control depending on how you build it. Personally I have multi-target charge, power bonuses up the tree, and piercing nova with x2 option. Pick your pistol, and then lead off with nova, nova, then charge. Picking your targets and knowing not to get too far away from the group is still crucial, though. If you're not crowd controlling next to your team, it doesn't benefit them, and it hurts you when you overextend yourself and become the only target in gunsight, or you have to run back through a bunch of the enemies to revive.

I think regular dodging gets underestimated with Vanguards, too. It lets you reassess the enemies around you, and eats up the 2 seconds or so until your charge is ready.

This is also a good strategy, but I went with the power cooldown and took a Katana. I basically tried to mimic what Curly Haired Boy said, and though I'm not as good at it as he is I'm still able to get off enough headshots to fight off two Pyros at the same time, which is a lot more than most Vanguards I've seen on Silver. Hunters aren't too bad either

For me, Vanguard is about identifying where threats are, determining if you can shut them down, and then doing it. Team about to get flanked by a couple of Geth Rocket Troopers or Marauders or Ravagers or Engineers? Not with you there they're not, by God. But that doesn't mean you can't get far away, either; somewhere like the Cerberus research facility has tight enough corridors that you can reasonably take on almost half a dozen guys at once so long as you're fast and know how to use the stagger effect from Nova to let you get the Hell out of the line of fire.

I seem to draw a lot of Aggro as a Vanguard, even for enemies I can't hurt that much. Banshees hate Vanguards.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I had a level 9 adept when I first did the extraction on silver. You'd be surprised how much the competency of the person playing can mean almost as much as their level :P

I do agree with you, but that can also only go so far at times. At a low enough level the lack of shield and health bonuses can make what would otherwise be survivable a knock out. The decreased damage output and/or carrying capacity can setback their ability to handle foes. Like, with an all PA crew I wouldn't bat an eye at an early teens member, especially if they clearly have some serious MP experience, but seeing people that are like level 8, N7 level 12 join a Silver match makes me seriously ponder leaving or booting them.

Like many team based games, sometimes you can overcome a deficit in player skill with raw power. The reverse is also true, but I don't trust random pubs that far. :-P

Anyway, I've had a blast chewing through bronze and silver this weekend. That said, I'm not sure, but I think a "store can't find you, lawl" glitch might've cost me a Veteran pack, I've had a number of times where I repeatedly couldn't buy anything, or join a game, without resetting, got disconnected at the end of wave 10 in a silver where I was kicking some ass and rejoined to get 0 credits for the win, and had a map or two where I wasn't able to harm enemies. I could tag them for assist bonuses, but a full clip into them wouldn't even move their health bar.

Which is to say this is the most fun multiplayer I've found in a while, but at times it can be buggy as shit.

Also, text chat (my mic simply does NOT want to work, and even back when it did, it was always way too quiet) would be nice, muting people hasn't been an issue but I'd like the option at hand, along with kicks from inside a game (though I respect that could also be used for griefing, so it's a tough call), and perhaps some seperation (at last the option to do so) from the Space Key Is The One True Key phenomenon they have going on. Maybe just for revive?
    You know...(ending, again, sorry)
    If there's a "Upload Shepherd's mind into the Reaper consciousness to reprogram it using him as a template" ending, which I guess seems to be Control, then there should really have been a line from Harbinger or someone to the survivors like: "We are no longer your Reapers. We are your...Shepherds."

This is fantastic.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Banshees love to drag me from 15 feet away and instant death me. Pretty sure that the game not telling me what my ping is getting pretty frustrating (I'm in Australia btw). It's really bad when all my powers constantly don't work due to the lag.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    And while I'm bitching, working text chat would be phenomenal. How the hell did that not make it into the game?
    And is it just me, or are you totally unable to change the powers bar? I cannot, literally can not drag around the little icons.

Nope, no changing the power bar for you.

Entitled pc gamers, jeeze.

Am I doing this right.

How dare entitled PC gamers ask for basic functions like this. How dare they.

Especially if those options are already PRESENT IN THE SINGLE PLAYER and work without a hitch.

You can rebind the hotkeys for the quick access bar. Go to options and go down to where it's Quickslot 1: 1, Quickslot 2: 2 and so on and then change the numbers around as you see fit. Or bind important things to better keys. Of course, the numbers on your bar won't match the numbers you've bound if you make quickslot 2 into 4 and quickslot 7 into 1 or something, but who is looking at their bar anyway?

The 6 for ops packs are a good one to rebind/add another key to. 6 is a pain in the ass to press if you've got a sliver of health and are about to die. G or Z is much easier. Most of the other stuff is not time sensitive or placed decently.

Can't really do anything about spacebar in the options though. That's just a pitfall of the "EVERYTHING STREAMLINED TO ANNOY PLAYERS" design philosophy permeating the industry.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I grow more at peace the ending the longer it's been since I've seen it. Not happy with it, or all right with it, or even further away from wanting a replacement (still holding out for Indoctrination DLC), but I'm less angry every day.

But man. The guy running the Mass Effect Twitter is a machine. He's still going, taking all them tweets that all say the same thing. Must be a team of people working that thing.

I feel the same way, although for me it's all festered to some sort of melange of disappointment, irritation and indifference. Not a very good last impression of the franchise. I'm still hoping for a replacement, but I don't have much faith in it happening. I certainly won't be getting any DLC unless it addresses the ending.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

I feel the same way, although for me it's all festered to some sort of melange of disappointment, irritation and indifference. Not a very good last impression of the franchise. I'm still hoping for a replacement, but I don't have much faith in it happening. I certainly won't be getting any DLC unless it addresses the ending.

That's how I know that I feel better: if they drop some Love Interest stuff, or DLC that takes place on
    Omega
    then I will be all over it. I'm playing the game again. Thinking about playing the whole series. I feel all right! I feel all right.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Enough MP for me tonight. Wish there was a way to fast track leveling new characters - getting old having to trudge around brozne, then silver and then get into the gold games that I want to be in. Oh well.

Yeah I have exactly the same opinion: Unless they announce DLC that deals with the ending, I'm done with ME as a franchise. I can vote with my wallet in the end and I intend to. I have like, two billion other things I want to do and play anyway - so I can live without DLC to a game that hugely disappointed me when it mattered most.

Personally though, I am not sure that Casey Hudson will allow ending changing DLC because it will be admitting he screwed the ending up.

The one star reviews of ME3 on Amazon are a fascinating read (obvious spoilers BTW). They aren't even that incoherent for people posting 1 star reviews on something. I am truly amazed constantly by the reaction to this game.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Ugh. I just want some new fucking multiplayer characters. I had two classes I wanted to play, Asari Adept and Salarian Engineer and then a bug wiped me back to default. I've gotten a whole lot of nothing since then.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    I have to say that Soldiers feel entirely worthless in multiplayer (I don't have a good AR for Turian yet unfortunately). They feel dreadfully underpowered compared to the other classes, who all kill things far better and faster than the soldier does. Ultimately, being able to actually kill/disable those damn brutes/banshees crawling all over you matters far more than anything else. Maybe the Krogan is better?

I tried for several hours to win one silver match with my soldier. I've now done it with my Drell Adept (level 9, Level 12), with my Human Engineer (level 8, level 12) and even with my Level 9 Salarian Infiltrator. I mean really, I can get through this shit with characters half the level of my soldier at level 20? Is it the soldier or do I just do something terribly wrong?

Well - what guns are you carrying? They're a gun class. I guess they need super good guns.
    In my short experience with Soldier in multi, yeah, I agree that the Soldier isn't as effective when it's not packing good guns.

I play Krogan Soldier with only a shotgun. But then, I heavy melee everything on that guy. I love Krogan soldier. <3

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I am constantly amazed at the MPs ability to not give you anything you actually want.

In fact, I am certain it has some kind of program that identifies what you want and specifically prevents you from getting it. Clever thing.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Has anyone even heard of anyone getting their shit back after that bug? I sent a complaint in and havn't gotten a reply

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Enough MP for me tonight. Wish there was a way to fast track leveling new characters - getting old having to trudge around brozne, then silver and then get into the gold games that I want to be in. Oh well.

Yeah I have exactly the same opinion: Unless they announce DLC that deals with the ending, I'm done with ME as a franchise. I can vote with my wallet in the end and I intend to. I have like, two billion other things I want to do and play anyway - so I can live without DLC to a game that hugely disappointed me when it mattered most.

Personally though, I am not sure that Casey Hudson will allow ending changing DLC because it will be admitting he screwed the ending up.

The one star reviews of ME3 on Amazon are a fascinating read (obvious spoilers BTW). They aren't even that incoherent for people posting 1 star reviews on something. I am truly amazed constantly by the reaction to this game.

wow, that's actually pretty encouraging.
    it's nice to know that at least some people are actually thinking about why the ending is badly received
    makes it easer for bioware to sift through the criticism and maybe try and do something

The online petition being a glorified charity drive doesn't hurt either

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am constantly amazed at the MPs ability to not give you anything you actually want.

In fact, I am certain it has some kind of program that identifies what you want and specifically prevents you from getting it. Clever thing.

This is certainly the case for me. I've gotten five assault rifles (only one of them that is actually worth being called "good", with a second being "okay"), and zero sniper rifles.

How did I earn these weapons? With an infiltrator.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you definitely want to get far from the landing zone before the last wave is announced, because enemies spawn based on your location. If you run out, wait, and then run back, you'll have a much better time.

You should not run too far, though

If you run to the opposite side of the arena, then you're completely boned because you'll waste your two minutes fighting ever-respawning enemies trying to break through to the LZ

Trust me: this is the worst

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ThatSwedishGuyThatSwedishGuy SwedenRegistered User regular
    Hey, stop complaining, I have an Avenger X!

• Options
    I want any assault rifle that is actually good at providing dakka to make my Turian soldier worthwhile.

It is never going to give me that, I can tell.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Has anyone even heard of anyone getting their shit back after that bug? I sent a complaint in and havn't gotten a reply

Having just spent a bit o' spacebucks in hilarity, I have to ask what did you do to cause this bug to occur?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I have to say that Soldiers feel entirely worthless in multiplayer (I don't have a good AR for Turian yet unfortunately). They feel dreadfully underpowered compared to the other classes, who all kill things far better and faster than the soldier does. Ultimately, being able to actually kill/disable those damn brutes/banshees crawling all over you matters far more than anything else. Maybe the Krogan is better?

I tried for several hours to win one silver match with my soldier. I've now done it with my Drell Adept (level 9, Level 12), with my Human Engineer (level 8, level 12) and even with my Level 9 Salarian Infiltrator. I mean really, I can get through this shit with characters half the level of my soldier at level 20? Is it the soldier or do I just do something terribly wrong?

Well - what guns are you carrying? They're a gun class. I guess they need super good guns.
    In my short experience with Soldier in multi, yeah, I agree that the Soldier isn't as effective when it's not packing good guns.

I play Krogan Soldier with only a shotgun. But then, I heavy melee everything on that guy. I love Krogan soldier. <3

Krogan Soldier is fundamentally different from Human Soldier - it's basically a completely different class.
    And an awesome one!
    Had so much fun with it in the demo, can't wait till I unlock it again.

Also, I'm cracking up just from reading the titles of those user reviews. "I feel betrayed by Bioware", "This game crushed my soul" "99% Epic 1% kills the entire franchise" :lol:
    Get the fuck over yourself.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I want any assault rifle that is actually good at providing dakka to make my Turian soldier worthwhile.

The Revenant seems like it would be downright Apocalyptic when combined with Marksman.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

The Mattock is pretty good.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So have we finished dicussing how ME3 has sucked all the joy out of our soul forever?

Good, cause that shit was getting old.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just discovered Origin has a maximum number of friends.

What is this bullshit?

• Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah, you definitely want to get far from the landing zone before the last wave is announced, because enemies spawn based on your location. If you run out, wait, and then run back, you'll have a much better time.

You should not run too far, though

If you run to the opposite side of the arena, then you're completely boned because you'll waste your two minutes fighting ever-respawning enemies trying to break through to the LZ

Trust me: this is the worst

Surely it's not that bad. I can't think of a single map where you wouldn't be able to find an alternative route and make a fighting retreat, or punch through a less powerful part of the enemy forces.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Having just spent a bit o' spacebucks in hilarity, I have to ask what did you do to cause this bug to occur?
    Apparently it can happen if you go into the store after you are 'ready' but can happen randomly as well (much less often from what I've been reading about it).
    http://help.ea.com/article/kits-relocking-issue-in-mass-effect-3-multiplayer

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Sorry if I just invited you to a game and then was nowhere to be found. I think a Java update today has kind of jacked things up. I can't "Shift + F1" in game anymore, so I have to alt tab out to the actual origin menu. Arghhh

• Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular

What is this bullshit?

While Origins not the worst thing, and it hasn't killed all my friends or anything, there are some really...odd omissions that should have been programmed into it from the start.

Gift functioning(this is one of the ones that I dont understand the most. unless I didnt see how to do it, then its just poorly explained), seeing how many people are in friends games, etc Theres more than that, but still. Number of things that arent there that just make you go "...What?!"

jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular

What is this bullshit?

Steam does as well. (Or use to at least).

However that doesn't mean it still isn't silly.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

The Mattock is not good for Turian soldier, fires too slow to make use of marksman

I roll with the Phaeston, extended clips means it can fire for ages and marksman makes it super accurate

can basically snipe guys from across the map when that ability is active

• Options
    Sorry if I just invited you to a game and then was nowhere to be found. I think a Java update today has kind of jacked things up. I can't "Shift + F1" in game anymore, so I have to alt tab out to the actual origin menu. Arghhh

Ah, so I'm not the only one with that problem. Shift + F1 doesn't work for me either anymore.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know...they could add Protheans to MP.

I would like to play around with a moveset like Javik's.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd like to see some Geth classes, personally.

I'd also like to see a "Recon" class that can tag or call out enemies somehow as threats just like the game does in the "Kill these 4 guys" mode. You could have someone basically focus firing your team instead of screaming "That one, no no the one in front arghhhh"

Or a minimap, that'd be cool too. But I don't think that's even in the engine at all.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options

The Mattock is not good for Turian soldier, fires too slow to make use of marksman

I roll with the Phaeston, extended clips means it can fire for ages and marksman makes it super accurate

can basically snipe guys from across the map when that ability is active

Oh, Turian. Yeah, sorry, no Mattock then :p

It IS pretty good for a Human Soldier though.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Here's a new source of bile for you: how terrible Origin is for multiplayer matchmaking.

I can't join a game in progress? What the hell?
    Sure you can, I did it tons of times.
    I dropped out of a game with MazPA, SR71C Blackbird, and Canadian Zealot. I go to reconnect - game is full.

Cannot join a game in progress.
    You totally can join a game in progress, I noticed it wasn't showing you as in a game anymore, put 2 and 2 together, and sniped your slot.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    I quit a game with Klyka in a huff after some bullshit in wave 1. I ended up rejoining 2 waves later and still out scored this terribad soldier we had with us.

So mid game joining is definitely a possibility.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I quit a game with Klyka in a huff after some bullshit in wave 1. I ended up rejoining 2 waves later and still out scored this terribad soldier we had with us.

So mid game joining is definitely a possibility.

I remember joining your game when it was still in-lobby, waiting for a minute and leaving because I'm that impatient :D

Any word on when the next patch hits or the DLC rumors are true? I can think of so many additions to multiplayer! Of course theres new classes/races, maps and enemy types, weapons and difficulties even. But what about whole new game modes, maybe new powers, appearance options - that sort of thing? Maybe a time attack mode, a capture the objective mode or something of that sort, maybe even small missions!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ohh...

Mini-missions would actually be pretty cool.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular

I got the Mattock on my first pack I bought. Havent used a different gun since. Of course I only have the default guns apart from a few shotguns and a different sniper rifle. All my classes use it.

This discussion has been closed.