Options

The All-New Desktop Thread

1565758596062»

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone suggested gnome-look.org and kde-look.org earlier. I've found a lot of good wallpapers on both of them, though there can be quite a bit of linux-specific stuff.

exis on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of wallpaper web sites have any of you guys run across any good sites that have comic book related walls in 1680x1050+ or higher? I haven't had much luck outside of a couple I came across on various image boards (where you have to go through a mountain of crap to find a diamond. What has been seen cannot be unseen etc..).

powersurge on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A lot of the time I just browse the wallpaper section of 4chan, it can have some surprisingly good wallpapers there.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    A lot of the time I just browse the wallpaper section of 4chan, it can have some surprisingly good wallpapers there.

Heh, starting from 4chan I made a wall paper folder, just whenever I found a decent picture I would add it to the folder to have later.......it's now over 400+ wall papers. >.>;

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Hey. Can we not post PNG images? Sure, nice format, but it sucks for web usage. Such as Brodo's 1.2 meg screenshot that would be under 100k if it was a JPEG.

Echo on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Hey. Can we not post PNG images? Sure, nice format, but it sucks for web usage. Such as Brodo's 1.2 meg screenshot that would be under 100k if it was a JPEG.

I've got that in the OP for the next thread, so hopefully people will see it.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with PNG's as long as people optimize them (and link them if they're big), because depending on what type of wallpaper you're using they can easily be much smaller than a decent quality jpeg.

Instead I think it would be wise to just include a rule in the OP that says any image above a certain size (500KB?) should be linked.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dìrhael wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with PNG's as long as people optimize them (and link them if they're big), because depending on what type of wallpaper you're using they can easily be much smaller than a decent quality jpeg.

Instead I think it would be wise to just include a rule in the OP that says any image above a certain size (500KB?) should be linked.

I doubt people will really pay attention to file sizes like that until after people have begun complaining. I would just say save everything as jpegs and don't complain unless it is over 1 meg or so since someone probably forgot to.

Plus, we get the idea of the desktop with a jpeg. I mean, even in MS paint there isn't that much artifacting from saving to jpeg.

Here's a PNG. 114KB.
    desktop8387383.png

Here's a JPEG from Photoshop 7 @ 80% quality. 40KB
    desktp382871.jpg

Here's a JPEG saved in MS Paint. 23KB.
    desktop378111.jpg

Quality goes down, but it's still easier than trying to negotiate with PNGs and filesizes.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is that really the best picture to use for comparison? There isn't much color in it to begin with...

Zetx on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dìrhael wrote: »

I doubt people will really pay attention to file sizes like that until after people have begun complaining. I would just say save everything as jpegs and don't complain unless it is over 1 meg or so since someone probably forgot to.

Plus, we get the idea of the desktop with a jpeg. I mean, even in MS paint there isn't that much artifacting from saving to jpeg.

Here's a PNG. 114KB.
    [-IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Darkest_Elite/desktop8387383.png[/IMG]

Here's a JPEG from Photoshop 7 @ 80% quality. 40KB
    [-IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Darkest_Elite/desktp382871.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a JPEG saved in MS Paint. 23KB.
    [-IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Darkest_Elite/desktop378111.jpg[/IMG]

Quality goes down, but it's still easier than trying to negotiate with PNGs and filesizes.

Your original PNG can still be compressed down by ~12KB.

Anyway, there is a reason why I wrote that it would depend on what type of wallpaper you're using. JPG is great for photo-type images, but PNG is very much superior when it comes to vector-type graphics.

Oh, and your last version of that image looks terrible...there's no need to compress jpeg's that much.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Right, but the question is will people even bother? I mean in that last picture compressed in MS Paint, well shit, I can just spoiler the entire wallpaper at that compression level.

I would rather have people over compress something than not bother with it at all because they don't want to do fancy compression tricks with overpriced software.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Right, but the question is will people even bother? I mean in that last picture compressed in MS Paint, well shit, I can just spoiler the entire wallpaper at that compression level.

I would rather have people over compress something than not bother with it at all because they don't want to do fancy compression tricks with overpriced software.

People can use irfanview or gimp to save their images, hell I use gimp for when I'm saving images for the internet because its jpeg and png exporting is nicely fine grained (settings) so I can get the best possible picture for my KB's.

So no expensive software needed.

Oh, and gimp on mac os x needs to get its act together because.. eww. (and yet I still use it for saving and basic image resizing & cropping)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    99 pages = New desktop thread is up. Please to be visiting.

Centipeed on
This discussion has been closed.