As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DAD-DANCING DETECTED! is a quote from berk's webcomic "malky dungeon"

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    kind of hard to give a damn about PBF joking about updates though

like if it were a joke about RETURNING TO FREQUENT UPDATES then yeah ok bazing

but it's like here's a comic, like I very very occasionally do! syke, not really! that's just like, alright

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Selling out is awesome. Money is great. I'm blowing a guy in a public bathroom right now as I post this from my phone.

and you're blowing the guy for money

...right?

Can't a dude just be attracted to somebody in a public bathroom and polegnaw him and post about it online?
    Why do you have to get all illicit about it?

Pole...gnaw...

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    What? You've never gnawed a pole?

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    no I'm not saying monique is the empowered character

I'm saying that the character who represents Feminism in the comic--in the same way that other characters have embodied knowledge (kid with the books) hedonism (the pig) and other philosophical concepts/religious systems--is represented by a little girl on a big wheel

Yeah, I understand. I was just making the point that there are other characters in the strip that are arguably "feminist." Though Monique seems to stray a little close to the Strong Female Character archetype as exemplified by Kate Beaton and friends.

But here's a question. If you had to choose a character to be the avatar of feminism, what would it be? Is there a good way to execute on that concept? I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to do that that's not just as bad as the Big Wheel girl, just in some other direction. Do you emphasize sexual liberation and freedom? Then you run the risk of creating a Strong Female Character. A character that actively subverts the sexualization and objectification of women? Then you've created a frigid ice-queen. A hard-headed businesswoman sacrificing family and a personal life for material wealth? That doesn't sound great either. A balanced character who isn't defined by some exaggerated stereotypical feminine and/or feminist characteristic? Someone who has more universally human motivations that aren't explicitly (and exclusively) related to gender and sexuality? Congratulations, you've designed a realistic female character who maybe actually has some kind of relatable personality. Not a great embodiment of an abstract concept, though.

TLDR, I think the problem may not be with the character of the little girl as with the basic idea of a feminist avatar. It seems like a self-defeating concept. And frankly I don't think any of his other ideological stand-ins are any fucking good either; they're pretty much all dumb caricatures that he uses to make trite, uninteresting "points" in an attempt to be edgy. (At least I think he's trying to be edgy? If he's going for profound it's really not working.)

• Options
    PhantomFoxPhantomFox MarylanRegistered User regular
    2012-04-02-Deep%20Forest%20Page%2026.jpg

Unrelated:
    Part of me wants to cross-post summaries of the DD snark from the OOTS forums to complement the QC snark that's here. And then they'd get married and have a baby snark of... I dunno. LICD is just BAD, not very snarkable.

BannerAd1-3.jpg
    A new story updating Mondays.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    we really don't need any DD in this thread

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    And that's the end of tune right

Thank god

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    what'd he do to deserve a knee to his linuses

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote: »

Thank god

the comic was just a long setup for the ultimate literary pay off

the main character getting kneed in the beanbag really hard

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The reason why the little girl on the tricycle is a poor feminist character is because she is a vehicle for feminist ideals, and really much of a character.

She isn't a person (insofar as a fictional character can be a person) but instead a named, moving set of ideals. Her use is in her function, not her inherent existence. And that is not very feminist at all.

Solar on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the girl actually read the contract and noticed it was for eternity, then convinced them to make it only for like two weeks. Then she leaves and goes home fine, leaving main character trapped in an alien zoo forever.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The reason why the little girl on the tricycle is a poor feminist character is because she is a vehicle for feminist ideals, and really much of a character.

She isn't a person (insofar as a fictional character can be a person) but instead a named, moving set of ideals. Her use is in her function, not her inherent existence. And that is not very feminist at all.

Sounds like Sinfest

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

if they dont get along then the zoo aliens will let him out of his perma-contract which they somehow bullshitted him into signing after leading him to think he was signing only a temp contract

thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Dux wrote: »
    Crwth, stop using this thread as your own personal toilet.

Stop pooping all over the place.

Stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hcA8wFKhYY

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »

Thank god

hit in the boinloins

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    the boinloins

i-HxFJmZ3-X2.jpg

• Options
    how the hell does tune comic have
    Kwoaru wrote: »

if they dont get along then the zoo aliens will let him out of his perma-contract which they somehow bullshitted him into signing after leading him to think he was signing only a temp contract

thing

can someone link to the page where that happens

these archives are kind of painful to go through

• Options
  • Options
    slowlo

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    slowlo

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    slowlo

YOU'VE FALLEN INTO MY TRAP NERDGASMIC

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Swat in the kumquats

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I chuckled at that PA

• Options
    plump titty nerd

• Options
    slowlo

YOU'VE FALLEN INTO MY TRAP NERDGASMIC

exodia

• Options
    slowlo

oh cruel irony!

• Options
    kill me. I can't go on after this.

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    the boinloins

i-HxFJmZ3-X2.jpg

02804.gif

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    trying to read the last week's worth of mspa stuff

trying to give a fuck about this conversation with yet more trolls but jesus christ

i'm out of fucks

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    blue shirt guy looks a lot like JJacques

ub2Ks.png

god, don't make me defend JJ

LICD just finds more and more ways to twist the knife.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

I think that, besides this (in application to all of the characters), the thing that made me hate the author of sinfest so much is when he had his author insert be called a genius and that no one understands how awesome he is.

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

I think that, besides this (in application to all of the characters), the thing that made me hate the author of sinfest so much is when he had his author insert be called a genius and that no one understands how awesome he is.

Well that last part is true.

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    no I'm not saying monique is the empowered character

I'm saying that the character who represents Feminism in the comic--in the same way that other characters have embodied knowledge (kid with the books) hedonism (the pig) and other philosophical concepts/religious systems--is represented by a little girl on a big wheel

Yeah, I understand. I was just making the point that there are other characters in the strip that are arguably "feminist." Though Monique seems to stray a little close to the Strong Female Character archetype as exemplified by Kate Beaton and friends.

But here's a question. If you had to choose a character to be the avatar of feminism, what would it be? Is there a good way to execute on that concept? I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to do that that's not just as bad as the Big Wheel girl, just in some other direction. Do you emphasize sexual liberation and freedom? Then you run the risk of creating a Strong Female Character. A character that actively subverts the sexualization and objectification of women? Then you've created a frigid ice-queen. A hard-headed businesswoman sacrificing family and a personal life for material wealth? That doesn't sound great either. A balanced character who isn't defined by some exaggerated stereotypical feminine and/or feminist characteristic? Someone who has more universally human motivations that aren't explicitly (and exclusively) related to gender and sexuality? Congratulations, you've designed a realistic female character who maybe actually has some kind of relatable personality. Not a great embodiment of an abstract concept, though.

TLDR, I think the problem may not be with the character of the little girl as with the basic idea of a feminist avatar. It seems like a self-defeating concept. And frankly I don't think any of his other ideological stand-ins are any fucking good either; they're pretty much all dumb caricatures that he uses to make trite, uninteresting "points" in an attempt to be edgy. (At least I think he's trying to be edgy? If he's going for profound it's really not working.)

Yes a realistic relatable character with strengths and flaws like anyone else would be the best, because those roles always go to the male characters.

the point of feminism is there shouldn’t be an archetypal or ideal man or woman because people experience a wide variety of lives and choices.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    how the hell does tune comic have
    Kwoaru wrote: »

thing

can someone link to the page where that happens

these archives are kind of painful to go through

http://www.tunecomic.com/2012/02/17/tune-part01-pg255-humanity/

and I guess i was wrong he hasn't found a way out he just wants to see the lady he loves or something before he is trapped in an alien box forever

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    blue shirt guy looks a lot like JJacques

ub2Ks.png

god, don't make me defend JJ

LICD just finds more and more ways to twist the knife.

I think it's quite easy to defend QC from Sohmer

I mean, I don't enjoy QC that much (though for some reason I always read it when it's posted)

but at least JJ seems like a decent dude

and not a horrible racist homophobe

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Thank god

hit in the boinloins

it's the boingloings you tit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3q2YCitYQ

• Options

Yeah

yeah

I get you man

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I sort of want to read Slaughterhouse-Five again.

• Options
    PhantomFoxPhantomFox MarylanRegistered User regular
    we really don't need any DD in this thread
    This thread doesn't need a lot of things, but that's never stopped y'all before. :)

BannerAd1-3.jpg
    A new story updating Mondays.
This discussion has been closed.