As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat has ulcer in mouth, not eating or drinking (already been to the vet today)

Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, AlonsoRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So my poor kitty has an owie in his mouth. We don't know why, the vet said it could have been because he chewed on a caustic plant, licked a surface that contained a chemical residue, or has a virus whose name I can't remember. He is now on antibiotics to speed the healing of the ulcer.

So my question is this, the cat has barely eaten in the past couple days, and won't drink. Doing so hurts, so he doesn't want to do it even though he is obviously hungry. Last night my mom forced him to take some water with an ear syringe, but he hated it. Like, shooting lasers from his eyes-I-will-hate-you-forever-or-at-least-for-a-halfday hate.

How long can he go without water, and should we do the syringe again tonight or wait longer before doing that?

-edit-

Oh and this is unrelated why the fuck fuckity fuck do these things always happen at the start of a weekend? Always. It cannot be coincidence.

Regina Fong on

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yes, make sure he gets water whether he likes it or not. The standard test for dehydration for cats and dogs to to take a small pinch of their skin and see how quickly it springs back when you let go. If it takes a while to return to its original position your cat is dehydrated. Either way you don't want him going without water for longer than a day.

EDIT: It's worth noting in a pinch he can go without food for longer, not sure how long a cat can last, it'll be a few days at least, but water is a must have.

Casual on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you've already been to the vet, I think you should call the vet back immediately and ask exactly how often you should administer water via that method. There's no reason to take anyone else's word for that, especially if you've already familiarized the vet with your case.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    You can try finger-feeding the kitteh some chicken-flavored baby food, just to get nutrition into the cat.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Check with the vet first but maybe pedialyte to help rehydrate quicker?

steam_sig.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Talk to your vet. I know no one likes hearing that in pet advice threads but this is food and water and if you cannot get her to drink/eat something you need to find out how long the animal can go without intervention. Something like subdermal IV hydration and using a feeding tube (surgeon would have to install) are totally something a vet can teach you how to do until the kitty heals enough to eat/drink normally. I had to do this for awhile when my cat didn't eat for a few weeks and started getting jaundiced and fatty liver disease. What can happen is if they do not eat long enough then they lose appetite which results in a cycle of the animal getting progressively weaker/more sick until they die without direct intervention.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    did your vet give him fluids? we give our guys subdermal fluids if they are dehydrated, but I am comfortable doing it and cats are a pain unless they are cuddlers.

is your cat fat? skinnier cats can go 2-3 days with out eating to no ill effect, fat cats hower if they don't eat get liver issues like djeet mentioned, though sort term things like tuna juice or even whipped cream will help with that. the idea is to just get somthing in his system to digest.

camo_sig.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah, echoing "What did the vet tell you to do?", because as far as I know, we don't have any veterinarians here. When dealing with life/death things, ask the professionals, not the forums.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies, cat is doing much better this morning, he ate nearly a whole can of wet cat food and then went to sleep (he stayed outside all night, which is his routine).