Options

[Adventure!] The best PC adventure games?

• Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Today's Steam deal is Alternativa. Any comment on it? The screen looks mad gorgeous, though...

ss_4a017a0ec287d0c7528b1e9cad55fa17d40d85bb.600x338.jpg?t=1311804381

Catshade on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It is mediocre according to every report I have heard.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    No mention of Torin's Passage? The dialogue is absolutely hilarious, and the puzzles are clever and engaging.

Anyone remember the Bitter Nuts?

I owned Torin's Passage but I don't think I ever played it more than an hour total. I think that I reached the point of saturation for awhile with the genre and even though I'd grab them when I saw them cheap I never got into it. I think my mom inherited my copy and played it through though.
    I'd make an effort to find a copy, it goes for like 5 bucks on ebay and it's really worth giving it another shot. It's such an amazing game, the animation, the dialogue and voice acting, the puzzles. Quite a bit of depth, too, if I remember correctly. Probably one of my favorite adventure games next to the Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango, and Sam and Max.

It's a pity that Sierra collapsed when it did. They were actually getting pretty good at making playable adventure games.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I played through all of Gabriel knight 1 yesterday but am apprehensive about the next because of live acting.

Is it painful?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    I played through all of Gabriel knight 1 yesterday but am apprehensive about the next because of live acting.

Is it painful?

Nah, it's actually not bad when compared to other FMV stuff of the time. It was a let down at first because no Tim Curry and Leah Remini, but I ended up really liking the characters and thought the guy did a good job playing Gabriel.

• Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Dig was always my favorite of the point and clicks, because while I appreciated the whimsy of most of them, I really liked a sci-fi story that took its characters seriously. Even though a couple of the puzzles threw me (be prepared to look up "turtle puzzle solution" if you play that one) the overall tone of the game was great, and definitely had Spielberg's touch on it. I think it was a missed opportunity for a movie tie-in, personally.

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy was mentioned, and of course Heavy Rain should be mentioned too. I always found the QTEs in both these games to be just the right amount of tension-inducing without making me look away from the action of the scenes too much. Heavy Rain is notable in my book for being a game that expresses incredibly complex emotional states effortlessly through the gameplay. When taking care of my son, and trying to convince him to talk to me, I actually caught myself saying "I just wish I had more time to be with him" when it was suddenly his bedtime.

Along the lines of games that lean more towards action-adventure, you might try Flashback or Out of This World. Both games are puzzlers that involve platforming, but with a nice atmospheric story to go along with them. If this is more your bag, feel free to pick up the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection, as both of those games offer similar, mood-enhancing puzzle gameplay. And finally, for something that's basically just action with puzzles and a good story, try Soul Reaver on PSN.

Edit:Ah, can't forget Blade Runner and Bad Mojo. Easily two of the most involving adventure games I've played. Both had me absorbed for extended periods of time.

Skexis on
  • Options
    Fuck that turtle. Seriously.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Oh god Mission Critical is so good. It gets a little obtuse at the end, but damn I love that game.
    Might be a controversial statement, but I would put it forward as probably the best atmosphere and most immersive of the games listed here.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Man, everyone talks about the turtle puzzle in The Dig, but I actually had very little trouble with that one. A lot of the later ones gave me more grief than that. Maybe I just have a weird brain.

sig.gif
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Overclocked: A History of Violence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nC6-AzZjEs

From german "House of Tales" who made some great adventure (Including "The Moment of Silence") games and a few "not so great" ones before dissolving with the main heads leaving the industry. Miss them :(

Finally, someone else that's heard of this. Shame the team split up, Overclocked was damn good :^:

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's a shame, really.

Lost Horizon from the Secret Files: Tunguska guys is another one I can recommend throughly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl0FR7rGyZc

C2B on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Oh god Mission Critical is so good. It gets a little obtuse at the end, but damn I love that game.
    Might be a controversial statement, but I would put it forward as probably the best atmosphere and most immersive of the games listed here.

Yeah, it really caught me by surprise. I absolutely love the idea of a ship that's disabled that you have to repair and get functioning. I hope it gets on GoG at some point because I don't have the discs anymore.

• Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular

Is it painful?

I absolutely loved the second one. It's a rare example of a FMV game done really well. I remember being pretty scared by the end of it. I'll have to play it again soon and see if it holds up.

fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    All this talk of gabriel knight reminded me of jane janeson's lastest game. I picked it up and only played a little.Anyone here played through gray matter?

I never hear anyone talk about the game. I think it would have gotten more attention if they put it on steam.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    A new Pendulo game, Yesterday just released on Steam recently. This one looks pretty damn good.

A really dark vibe mixed with their trademark cartoony visuals is really working for me. Gonna have to keep an eye out for this one so I can snag it in a sale.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    6 was a nice wrap up to the series.
    bigwillch wrote: »

Is it painful?

I absolutely loved the second one. It's a rare example of a FMV game done really well. I remember being pretty scared by the end of it. I'll have to play it again soon and see if it holds up.

The second one is pretty good. It does have a slow start though. The third one is the worst of the bunch. I would recommend a walkthrough on it. The disguise puzzle gets really obtuse. I actually figured it out myself, but it is extremely silly.

Krathoon on
  • Options
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »
    A new Pendulo game, Yesterday just released on Steam recently. This one looks pretty damn good.

A really dark vibe mixed with their trademark cartoony visuals is really working for me. Gonna have to keep an eye out for this one so I can snag it in a sale.

Played it. Short and the story gets... pretty ridiculus even for pendulo standards (Has its good moments, has its bad moments and is overall not unoriginal but is severly shortstopped by its predicability). Charachters are entertaining even if not always believable. Design itself is fine and most puzzles are easy enough (Improvment over Runaway). Maybe too easy. Weird save system.

Personally liked Runaway more.

Anyway, another recently released (good) adventure game is Deponia from Deadelic Entertainment. The english version is currently in the works:

Teaser
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0vQLdEnRE

German Trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IQKIfBlMaA

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    So I've started playing The Secret of Monkey Island SE, and I've quickly realized I like the old look a lot better. I wish it played music more often instead of the quietness, but I love the way it looks. It has so much charm even with the old pixelated graphics. This and the pirate trying to sell me Loom got me thinking. Besides monkey island, I've never really gotten into the adventure genre. I suppose if you consider Uncharted games as adventures, I have, but I'm talking more about old school style adventure games like monkey island. I'm interested in trying some others out and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations?

Day of the Tentacle is fantastic, as is the Dig, and Sam and Max Hit the Road.

Oh! And Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Such good games.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Toonstruck is amazing, and I've just realised that as of November last year it works on Scummvm. I know what I'll be playing tonight!

Did they fix the issue with the spinning prize machine in zanydu?

From what I read you could play up to there but it runs too fast or something at that point so you can't get the item you need to continue.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    milk ducks wrote: »
    anoffday wrote:
    So I've started playing The Secret of Monkey Island SE, and I've quickly realized I like the old look a lot better. I wish it played music more often instead of the quietness, but I love the way it looks. It has so much charm even with the old pixelated graphics. This and the pirate trying to sell me Loom got me thinking. Besides monkey island, I've never really gotten into the adventure genre. I suppose if you consider Uncharted games as adventures, I have, but I'm talking more about old school style adventure games like monkey island. I'm interested in trying some others out and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations?

Such good games.

It's a shame that there's still many awesome classic games that aren't available anywhere be it steam or gog or whereever. Someone needs to get on this.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    anoffday wrote:

Such good games.

It's a shame that there's still many awesome classic games that aren't available anywhere be it steam or gog or whereever. Someone needs to get on this.

Steam has the dig and atlantis.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Re: Sam and Max and Doay of the Tentacle. EBay/Amazon will get you the CDs at a decent price and SCUMMVM will make them run on your modern system.

Oh no you'll have to wait a few days for postage but so worth it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lucasarts did have those archive collections, but they are probably really expensive now. Those started coming out a long time ago, like back in 1995.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I just want to reiterate that Fate of Atlantis is really fantastic. One of the cool things about the game is that there are usually multiple ways to solve puzzles based on either brains, brawn, or working with a partner, and about halfway through the game you can pick which one of those three you want to use and it changes how the rest of the game plays pretty significantly. Though I always had to pick Partner because there is nothing better than volunteering Sophia as the knife thrower's assistant and watching her freak out as the guy throws knives at her :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Beneath a Steel Sky is wonderful. I can't recommend it enough, and it's free, too!

• Options
    Beneath a steel sky is a completely unrealistic game. Right off the bat they find a can of fosters somewhere in Australia.

• Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    I've also been playing through Machinarium which was fun, but didn't quite grab me like some others. I love the art and aesthetic, but the lack of humor or dialogue, or characters really, makes all the times I'm stuck feel more dreary. Also I can't beat the old man at the fancy tic-tac-toe.

I really liked how sparse the characterization was, it kept them cute and appealing. I think you really have to be happy soaking in the music and art though to enjoy your time with it, though.

Machinarium just got added to GOG, in case anyone was waiting for that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Machinarium had beautiful visuals and concept. A little (or even a lot) too much in the way of Layton style self contained puzzles rather than environmental interaction for my taste though.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    There aren't really any puzzles to speak of, but I just finished To The Moon and man that was an fantastically engaging and touching story. Really highly recommended.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    If I was going to play Day of the Tentacle, should I play the first Maniac Mansion first?

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Winky wrote: »
    If I was going to play Day of the Tentacle, should I play the first Maniac Mansion first?

I didn't. Maniac Mansion is part of the older style Lucas games. They are a little less forgiving and I think you can actually pick a party that makes the game un-winnable. I think there was one joke in Day of the Tentacle that was lost on me by to not playing it. BUT I did stop in the middle of DotT to play MM since I stumbled upon it in-game.

And the Legend post reminded me of the greatest Infocom game - A Mind Forever Voyaging.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

Not necessary. You can skip straight to the sequel.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of the Atlantis is going to make you hate the movie (Indiana Jones 4: The Rapening of Indy) so much more. All the Lucasarts Indiana Jones games are good. These old games tend to have great humor, better than anything I've seen in modern games. Plus they tend to use the system limitations for great humorous effect, which is why Monkey Island works better in "8-bit mode." For example, in Space Quest IV you travel back in time to Space Quest I.
    2f8c.gif

The third post of this thread lays out what you need to play in terms of old adventure games. Just one thing: the old ones expect you to abuse the hell out of the game system itself. So save, save often, and do not overwrite your previous save games.

A humble reminder about that lesson to some of my fellow old gamers. Never before or since have I been so tempted to do physical harm to my computer.
    33068.gif

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Full Throttle and Blade Runner rock.

• Options

If you've ever had an interest in playing the game, I'd recommend it. Part of the charm of DotT for me was seeing all of these little touches from MM. Though if you'd prefer, start playing DotT and when you get to Weird Ed (the guy with the stamp collection), you can play the original MM by using his computer. I'd play through it there and then finish DotT.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Just read up which characters to play it with, you can screw yourself over by picking the wrong ones, if memory serves.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure you can finish the game with anyone, but some are easier and/or more satisfying than others.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I'm planning on playing DotT after the MM fan-remake Night of the Meteor gets released. They're really nailed that wacky lucasarts style.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God. I need to find my old Full Throttle CD. Might look for it tomorrow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork