Options

[Adventure!] The best PC adventure games?

124»

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    God. I need to find my old Full Throttle CD. Might look for it tomorrow.
    I went in to my attic last night and dug up a bunch of these old games. I even found Torin's Passage, a game I remember not being too keen on. But this thread inspired me to install it (some dude actually made a dosbox installer for it.)
    Wish me luck!

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    All I know about Torin's Passage is that there is a demo on my old Space Quest 6 disc.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Leisure Suit Larry Remake Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451923705/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again

Aside from Al Lowe there are members of the original team and other sierra products working on it.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I pretty much grew up on old Sierra adventure games and have beaten all seven King's Quest games (King's Quest 8? I'm sorry, you must be mistaken, there was no King's Quest 8) without the nearly requisite hint books. I think I'm a masochist.

Therefore I don't feel the least bit bad about watching Slowbeef and Diabetus make fun of King's Quest VI for a few hours, and neither should all of you.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Full Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzs-5k5eSSU

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    The new Walking Dead game by Tell Tale is fan-fucking tastic. If you order it off Steam or TellTale's site, you get a season pass for all the episodes. Second episode is due out this month.

Highly recommended!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    How is Tell Tale's Back to the Future series? I switched from 360 to PS3 recently and that's a game I couldn't have played previously. It's tempting to pick up, but I struggled getting into Sam & Max just because the genre on a TV somehow felt wrong (and until some parts arrive I don't have a PC that would run any of them).

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Full Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzs-5k5eSSU

Holy poop! That looked brilliant. And the voice acting seemed passable if you ignore the trailer voice over guy.

Very much interested.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Botanacula (I think that's it) was pretty great. It's really very unique. Even if some of the puzzles seem a bit obscure.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Chapter 1 of the commercial remake for The Journey Down has a release date: May 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_czCnC1zJI

I was surprised by how good the original looked, and I'm even more surprised by how well it's transferring from pixel art to HD pre-rendered sprites. I'd say it's actually a better conversion than the one Monkey Island got. I'm a little disappointed that the trailer appears to give away one of the puzzles (use fishing pole on ceiling fan! A classic!), but I guess it's hard to put actual gameplay in an adventure game trailer without doing that.

It's a very Schafer-esque style mashup. African masks + cyberpunk is an awful lot like Mexican Day of the Dead masks + 40s art deco. Though I can't think of that many other examples... other than Stacking, of course (Russian Matryoshka dolls + industrial revolution). I wonder if the new DoubleFine Adventure is going to do something like that too.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I was out at a car boot sale yesterday and found a copy of Grim Fandango going for a euro.

So happy. :D

• Options
    MasterCylinderMasterCylinder Registered User regular
    Probably hard to find now, but I loved The Neverhood when it came out. It's a bit easy, but I remember the claymation graphics and humor being pretty great.

sig.gif
    PSN: thpace | Steam: MasterCylinder
  • Options
    hunterspeacockhunterspeacock Registered User regular
    Anyone played Grey Matter? It was made by the lady who wrote the Gabriel Knight games.

It looks awesome but I haven't heard about it until very recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Matter-Pc/dp/B004JMXTNU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1336723323&sr=8-6

• Options
    SciJoSciJo Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Botanacula (I think that's it) was pretty great. It's really very unique. Even if some of the puzzles seem a bit obscure.
    Holy crap, someone actually mentioned this game.

But ya, Botanicula was quite enjoyable. Some of the puzzles were a little obscure, but overall the game felt easier than Machinarium.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone played Grey Matter? It was made by the lady who wrote the Gabriel Knight games.

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Matter-Pc/dp/B004JMXTNU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1336723323&sr=8-6

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1251/

3.5 stars out of 5. So not bad, but not amazing. It does look kinda cool.

• Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1251/

3.5 stars out of 5. So not bad, but not amazing. It does look kinda cool.

I've played it and enjoyed it. Personally I feel the story for this is good (in fact, even though Moebius won in her kickstarter, I still want a Gray Matter 2). Some of the puzzles are on the easier side though and some people don't like the mix of 3d graphics with 2d painted cutscenes (I like them, but that's maybe because they remind me of older days). Also the 3d models are a bit clunky (while the backgrounds are quite nice). It's probably not entirely the most consistent game on a graphical level.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Really, most of the complaints in that review were relating to the graphics, animations, etc. They said the story and characters are really good, so if that's what you go for in an adventure game, it seems a solid purchase.

• Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    I can't help but note that The Adventures of Willy Beamish has not been mention. Easily a missed gem in the context of this topic.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Raising this thread because I beat Machinarium and ADG's King's Quest 3 redux today, and I didn't see any better thread on the first 2 pages.

Machinarium I had gotten kind of tired of, but I got back into it. Some of the puzzles were really obtuse to me, I really get tired of the school of puzzle design where you do certain things because you can, and then you just randomly traverse forward towards your goal, almost unintentionally. And the fact that there's a lot of things that you need that just look like part of the background really didn't help. It's the one way in which the gorgeous and detailed backgrounds hurt the game (especially when you can only click on certain things if you're next to them, so they're functionally invisible). But overall I enjoyed it, enough of the puzzles were clever that I didn't have too much trouble motivating myself to finish. (like the fan puzzle)

King's Quest I'm playing as part of my goal to at least play 'through' all of the old sierra 'quest' games, where 'through' involves looking up a faq for just about everything. It has a much more interesting premise than the first two, but I wish they would have made more clear that you can get more food beyond what they give you. If you don't know that then the time limit is a huge albatross, and initially kept me from wanting to play it. But ultimately it turned out pretty good, though they ludicrously kept in all of the stupid 'fall off a ledge' deaths. And they also added in some weird new story elements which just seemed out of place, to match up with the ones they added in KQ2. Ultimately pretty good, though I think there's no way I'd play the original version over the remake.

So next up, Space Quest 1, unless I break down and decide to get some of the Telltale games I've missed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hopefully the sam and max games'll be up on sale come the steam summer sale. Unlikely, but still. They are great, and people should play them if they like that sort of thing.

• Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Reading this thread reminded me that Blade Runner was easily one of the most well-crafted and immersive adventure games I've ever played.

Best use of voxels for human characters ever.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    I would still kill for a new blade runner game done in the style of Heavy Rain.

At least cdpRed are making a blade runner cyberpunk game.

• Options
    King's Quest I'm playing as part of my goal to at least play 'through' all of the old sierra 'quest' games, where 'through' involves looking up a faq for just about everything. It has a much more interesting premise than the first two, but I wish they would have made more clear that you can get more food beyond what they give you. If you don't know that then the time limit is a huge albatross, and initially kept me from wanting to play it. But ultimately it turned out pretty good, though they ludicrously kept in all of the stupid 'fall off a ledge' deaths. And they also added in some weird new story elements which just seemed out of place, to match up with the ones they added in KQ2. Ultimately pretty good, though I think there's no way I'd play the original version over the remake.

KQ3 is my favorite of the series, mainly due to nostalgia, but I make a point of playing through it every couple of years. I really should try the remake. I downloaded it when it was first released but just never got around to trying it.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    SciJo wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Holy crap, someone actually mentioned this game.

But ya, Botanicula was quite enjoyable. Some of the puzzles were a little obscure, but overall the game felt easier than Machinarium.

It is good. The music especially is awesome.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

KQ3 is my favorite of the series, mainly due to nostalgia, but I make a point of playing through it every couple of years. I really should try the remake. I downloaded it when it was first released but just never got around to trying it.

I'd actually recommend playing their remake of KQ2 first, just because the story stuff they added only makes sense if you know what they added to the earlier game.

If you care at all about that. If you don't then go ahead, but prepare to be a little confused by some things.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I did play it, but it's been so long that I don't remember any of it, so I should probably play it again.