Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Fibonacci doodle [chat]

ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go HomeUntil Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
This lady does neat youtube stuff about art and math and she is now part of Khan Academy, which is great.







embedding fixed

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
Zampanov on
«134567102

Posts

  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    I am always backup!
    Podly wrote: »
    Do you guys have any good suggestions for ambient lighting? The lights in my room are really drab and when I'm working on music I like a little bit more ambient lighting. I'll probably pick up some orange or blue rope light for "cool" factor with my synths/gear, but I'd like something that could provide a little more light when I'm programming and patching 'n shit while still being soothing/inspiring.

    My dad had these small floor lamps when I was a kid, they were basically white cylinders, maybe a foot high, with halogen bulbs and I think he spray painted the bulbs or used colored bulbs. They looked cool up against a wall. I can't remember what they're called.

  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If you have completed ME3 you should youtube
    Marauder Shields
    That may be the funniest thing I done ever seen

    PSN: Honkalot
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Her talking speed reminds me of Zero Punctuation.

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    so

    what'll Bioware's next thing be, after DA3?

    it would definitely be cool to see a new IP

    maybe they could do a western!

    Eeeeeeh. More shooting?

    They're not really all that good at it. Like, they got some bits down that was really fun eventually - the shooting itself, in ME3, what with all the weapons and such - but they're still doing bad sticky cover and such

    maybe if they get the chance to start over they can make gameplay that's thoroughly good, instead of something that at best feels rotten in the core.

    I'm just thinking

    what kind of game would be best for them? What would benefit most from the bioware way of doing things?

    imo their biggest asset is characters and stories, and I like westerns, which is why I said western

    They've been constantly improving their shooty bits so far, no reason to think they won't keep getting better at it. Basically my opinion is that Bioware games only have to have passably fun gameplay, and I don't think there's much difference between level of fun in ME's shooty gameplay and DA's choppy/slashy gameplay. They're both middling on those fronts, so that it might keep being middling with slight improvements is exactly what I expect, so it doesn't really count as a downside. Bring on more shooty, it's fine.

    What kind of setting would you want?

    hack-and-slash RPG works because RPG gameplay is never super and doesn't need to be. It's always meh, but it's never really annoying.

    Mass effect 2, more than any of the two, annoyed the ever-living fuck out of me numerous times when I died due to the retarded sticky cover system. ME3 made it passable, but not great.

    Anyway, to make good shooter gameplay, you have to start with a good core, then build from that.

    I'm not sure what kind of setting I'd want.

    I know what kind of story - something more like DA2 than Mass Effect. Something where you're not the center of the universe.

    ftOqU21.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    God I'm aggravated over this stupid homework. Two 4,000 page essays in a first year class, each 10%. Final exam 40%. It's stupid.

  • Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    KDABRA Season 2 is premiering this month.

    This is a show where the main character's dad cuts off his penis to resist the urge of fucking his son who is an alien that is protected by a Vatican network.

    EDIT: Oh yeah the main character is also a wizard.

    Disco Terrier on
    yGxvf.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    God I'm aggravated over this stupid homework. Two 4,000 page essays in a first year class, each 10%. Final exam 40%. It's stupid.

    A 4,000 page essay?

  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    so

    what'll Bioware's next thing be, after DA3?

    it would definitely be cool to see a new IP

    maybe they could do a western!

    Eeeeeeh. More shooting?

    They're not really all that good at it. Like, they got some bits down that was really fun eventually - the shooting itself, in ME3, what with all the weapons and such - but they're still doing bad sticky cover and such

    maybe if they get the chance to start over they can make gameplay that's thoroughly good, instead of something that at best feels rotten in the core.

    I'm just thinking

    what kind of game would be best for them? What would benefit most from the bioware way of doing things?

    imo their biggest asset is characters and stories, and I like westerns, which is why I said western

    They've been constantly improving their shooty bits so far, no reason to think they won't keep getting better at it. Basically my opinion is that Bioware games only have to have passably fun gameplay, and I don't think there's much difference between level of fun in ME's shooty gameplay and DA's choppy/slashy gameplay. They're both middling on those fronts, so that it might keep being middling with slight improvements is exactly what I expect, so it doesn't really count as a downside. Bring on more shooty, it's fine.

    What kind of setting would you want?

    hack-and-slash RPG works because RPG gameplay is never super and doesn't need to be. It's always meh, but it's never really annoying.

    Mass effect 2, more than any of the two, annoyed the ever-living fuck out of me numerous times when I died due to the retarded sticky cover system. ME3 made it passable, but not great.

    Anyway, to make good shooter gameplay, you have to start with a good core, then build from that.

    I'm not sure what kind of setting I'd want.

    I know what kind of story - something more like DA2 than Mass Effect. Something where you're not the center of the universe.

    I could definitely be on board with not center of the universe

    But I liked the ME2 gameplay, I never really got into those I am dead because of weird sticky cover situations.

    Clearly we have to fight to the death now.

    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    What about something that uses fiber optics.

    http://www.amazon.com/WeGlow-International-Multicolor-Decoration-Centerpiece/dp/B002PAQLWO/ref=pd_sim_t_11

    There was something I saw that looked like a sphere of spun webbing made with fiber optics but it cost a fucking grand.

  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    God I'm aggravated over this stupid homework. Two 4,000 page essays in a first year class, each 10%. Final exam 40%. It's stupid.

    A 4,000 page essay?

    word, derp

  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    God I'm aggravated over this stupid homework. Two 4,000 page essays in a first year class, each 10%. Final exam 40%. It's stupid.

    A 4,000 page essay?

    canadian university is serious business

    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    you know what I loved? Heavy Rain.

    ftOqU21.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    but there was probably something retarded stirred up in the internet about Heavy Rain too

    ftOqU21.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    zamp, those are adorable and ALSO a good way of illustrating the Fibonacci sequence

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I think I find some appeal in how often things go wrong in Mad Men.

    steam_sig.png
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    zamp, those are adorable and ALSO a good way of illustrating the Fibonacci sequence

    so awesome

    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    you know what I loved? Heavy Rain.

    god I need to play that

    I played the demo and was like yessssss interactive movie is what I have been craving

    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    God I'm aggravated over this stupid homework. Two 4,000 page essays in a first year class, each 10%. Final exam 40%. It's stupid.

    A 4,000 page essay?

    word, derp

    4,000 words isn't very long.

    Yesterday I was talking to someone who knew a professor who assigned a total of 90 pages in essays over a semester, for an intro course.

  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    What is khan academy
    Does it involve conquering people or captain Kirk?

    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    that's pretty cool sarks! although I think I'm going with rope lighting for the "looks cool in the dark lighting" so I need something that provides enough light so i don't strain my eyes but still creates a cool "artsy" (to use a douchey and terrible term) environment

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    God I'm aggravated over this stupid homework. Two 4,000 page essays in a first year class, each 10%. Final exam 40%. It's stupid.

    A 4,000 page essay?

    word, derp

    4,000 words isn't very long.

    Yesterday I was talking to someone who knew a professor who assigned a total of 90 pages in essays over a semester, for an intro course.

    If they are only 10% of a first level course they could be five pages just fine.

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    you know what I loved? Heavy Rain.

    god I need to play that

    I played the demo and was like yessssss interactive movie is what I have been craving

    I played it at a mate's (as I have no PS3) over the course of... three nights

    it was awesoooooooooome

    also fuck playstation's square circle triangle shit, I had so big problems with figuring that shit out

    ftOqU21.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    0 pages of homework

    exam is 100%

    fuck gendered marketing
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    that's pretty cool sarks! although I think I'm going with rope lighting for the "looks cool in the dark lighting" so I need something that provides enough light so i don't strain my eyes but still creates a cool "artsy" (to use a douchey and terrible term) environment

    http://www.amazon.com/Ore-International-2029F-48-Inch-60-Watt/dp/B000YJE4UE/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

    http://www.amazon.com/Ore-International-2029-24-Inch-Incandescent/dp/B000YJE40O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm watching the ZP on ME3 now

    agreeing to... p much everything!

    ftOqU21.png
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    0 pages of homework

    exam is 100%

    three hour four question essay, no samples provided

    Get a job in the field, get a raise within three months.

  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    God I'm aggravated over this stupid homework. Two 4,000 page essays in a first year class, each 10%. Final exam 40%. It's stupid.

    A 4,000 page essay?

    word, derp

    4,000 words isn't very long.

    Yesterday I was talking to someone who knew a professor who assigned a total of 90 pages in essays over a semester, for an intro course.

    If they are only 10% of a first level course they could be five pages just fine.

    Could be.

    What kind of class is it?

  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    0 pages of homework

    exam is 100%

    three hour four question essay, no samples provided

    Pen only, no pencils, can only write on unlined paper.

  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    What is khan academy
    Does it involve conquering people or captain Kirk?

    it involves free math and other courses for everyone

    like, basic arithmetic through vector calculus and all kinds of other things like economics and art history and organic chemistry

    it was made by this guy who quit his job at a hedge fund to teach everyone things for free so google and bill gates drowned him in money because they thought it was pretty great



    here's the website http://www.khanacademy.org/

    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    0 pages of homework

    exam is 100%

    three hour four question essay, no samples provided

    aRkpc.gif
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    this is a pretty gorgeous minimal studio

    274646d1327906728-gear-porn-thread-pics-your-slutty-setups-hexhq.jpg

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    0 pages of homework

    exam is 100%

    three hour four question essay, no samples provided

    Pen only, no pencils, can only write on unlined paper.

    ahhh

    if only such perfection existed

    fuck gendered marketing
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    The free education stuff that has been happening in the past year or two has been pretty God damn awesome.

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    this is a pretty gorgeous minimal studio

    274646d1327906728-gear-porn-thread-pics-your-slutty-setups-hexhq.jpg

    too many wires for proper minimalism

    they should replace all of the patch cables with wireless connections

    the horrible latency can be excused as avant garde

    fuck gendered marketing
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    that's pretty cool sarks! although I think I'm going with rope lighting for the "looks cool in the dark lighting" so I need something that provides enough light so i don't strain my eyes but still creates a cool "artsy" (to use a douchey and terrible term) environment

    there are, AFAIK, no rope lights that put out enough light to illuminate a work environment

    honestly if you want colors, illuminate your work area with some bog-standard white-light lamps and string the cool colours all over the unlit walls. You're not going to wash your keyboard in blue and still not get eye-strain after a while.

    aRkpc.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    sci-fi-fantasy-csi-death-star.jpg

    sig.gif
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    My favorite kind of ambient lighting is absence of lighting so...

    fuck gendered marketing
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So is the Art vs. ME3 ending thread safe to go in, or are there spoilers within (the thread title does not make it clear).

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll just fake references. Wouldn't be too hard to make up shell accounts with phone numbers and limited mailing information. Create a bit of a web presence and just pretend til someone makes a mistake. Not all of them of course but why be honest when that puts you in the gutter.

    steam_sig.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    you just know that that fancy setup is going to accumulate so much dust and hair after a couple of months

    ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
«134567102
This discussion has been closed.