As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Phalliad: SIGN-UPS CLOSED! Game begins 3/11

• Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Oh, and to head off any more confusion, hoplites are normal, vanilla villagers.
    You gettin a lot a PM's about that?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Awww yeah, back in my favorite game of paranoia and lies.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe, when are you planning on showing the transparent part of the rules?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    I'll post everything on Sunday.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Just to point out, this is going to give the specials more time to plot. The nice thing about transparent rules is that non-specials can spend some time and find something useful to do with themselves.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Just to point out, this is going to give the specials more time to plot. The nice thing about transparent rules is that non-specials can spend some time and find something useful to do with themselves.
    Bandwagons can be prepped.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Can you even explain what you were doing in the last Phalla? And I don't know if you noticed, but Aroduc gets bandwagoned pretty hard almost every Phalla since he won Rishiri.

I think its pretty obvious. I didn't know what I was doing, a misunderstanding escalated, and I tried to bandwagon someone else so I wouldn't die?

No, it wasn't obvious at all. In fact I still have no idea what you were doing regardless of this brief explanation.

Well I apologize, but I am unsure on how I could clarify it more. Perhaps, the question where ElJeffe and some others accused me as a wraith would help define the misunderstanding that escalated. When it was clear they weren't gonna back down, I pmed a lot of people in an attempt to bandwagon someone else, a random person, so I wouldn't die. This unfortunately turned out to be Vishnub, the seer. I was unsuccessful, but he was also targeted by the assassins.
    I swear to god Rygar, if you do this again and it has the same effect, I may be inclined to kill you. I had to argue the entire game last time, due to your bandwagon.

I can't believe I lived.

Yeah that was pretty resourceful of you. How many times did you get bandwagoned?
    Only once, although I argued for his staking 2 or 3 times I think.

Sorry I lead you astray :(
    You should be, now TehSpectre will never trust me. Never.

tofu on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2007
    Can you even explain what you were doing in the last Phalla? And I don't know if you noticed, but Aroduc gets bandwagoned pretty hard almost every Phalla since he won Rishiri.

I think its pretty obvious. I didn't know what I was doing, a misunderstanding escalated, and I tried to bandwagon someone else so I wouldn't die?

No, it wasn't obvious at all. In fact I still have no idea what you were doing regardless of this brief explanation.

Well I apologize, but I am unsure on how I could clarify it more. Perhaps, the question where ElJeffe and some others accused me as a wraith would help define the misunderstanding that escalated. When it was clear they weren't gonna back down, I pmed a lot of people in an attempt to bandwagon someone else, a random person, so I wouldn't die. This unfortunately turned out to be Vishnub, the seer. I was unsuccessful, but he was also targeted by the assassins.
    I swear to god Rygar, if you do this again and it has the same effect, I may be inclined to kill you. I had to argue the entire game last time, due to your bandwagon.

I can't believe I lived.

Yeah that was pretty resourceful of you. How many times did you get bandwagoned?
    Only once, although I argued for his staking 2 or 3 times I think.

Sorry I lead you astray :(
    You should be, now TehSpectre will never trust me. Never.

You'll have to pinky swear everything from now on. Even agreed upon times for dinners and movies.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here, friends, is a spreadsheet you may use for keeping track of the game: Link (.xls)

I'm excited.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    phalla.jpg

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think line 13 tells us vital information. Namely that tofu is hiding something....

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's true, I even suspect myself.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    smtji4.gif

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't be so pessimistic. You might live to get killed by the vigilante.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's sad, the first thing I noticed was the highlighted spelling errors. I'm like...where's the funny? Oh...there it is....

Disappointing. I say we start with the poor comedians first.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's sad, the first thing I noticed was the highlighted spelling errors. I'm like...where's the funny? Oh...there it is....

Disappointing. I say we start with the poor comedians first.

With the Poke and the Man and the hippity hop-music kids listen to today?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Im not even on there....... woohoo I'm a good guy! I think!! Who knows!!

Cunts!

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Johannen wrote: »

Somebody has to die on night zero so we know to start the witchhunt.

I guess that means you were innocent.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That sound awefully like someone trying to get the people off his back early to me... Assasin

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That sound awefully like someone trying to get the people off his back early to me... Assasin
    Burn the witch!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Some people might say that only an assassin would know how to spell the word assassin, but I'd say that only an assassin would claim ignorance to the degree that he wouldn't know how to spell assassin.

Assassin.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

OoooOOooooOoooo?

I didn't hear a thing.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm glad I could be so helpful already.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »

Some people might say that only an assassin would know how to spell the word assassin, but I'd say that only an assassin would claim ignorance to the degree that he wouldn't know how to spell assassin.

Assassin.

Oh Snap Bitch! You're the kind of Assassin that corrects people then?

Assassin says "what"?

Johannen on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Assassin.

Assassin says "what"?

What?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am so ready for another one of these babies to start!

More grusome deaths!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Assassin.

Assassin says "what"?

Say what?

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Bang and bang!

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I suspect that specials can't plot too much without actually communicating with others, and nobody should be communicating yet. At any rate, non-specials and bad guys can also plot strategies, so it should all even out.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I suspect that specials can't plot too much without actually communicating with others, and nobody should be communicating yet. At any rate, non-specials and bad guys can also plot strategies, so it should all even out.

I was using "specials" to refer to "everybody who got more than a Hoplite" PM. Good, bad, whatever.

I'm assuming the role PMs came with descriptions of how their abilities work. Even with just that it gives them time to think through their options and find a course of action that maximizes the use they get from the specialness.

Villagers won't know until zero hour what roles their are and what useful things a villager could do for them. Do separate vigilante groups with multiple members exist? If so it's worth my life to put them in contact with each other in order to coordinate kills to minimize deaths until they have good targets. (Though given my track record on that little maneuver I'd probably pass on it this time.)

Stuff like that is what I'm talking about. Less plotting and more strategic thinking I guess would be a fairer way to put it.

That said, it's your game and I'm not looking to make more work for you. This should probably would find a better home in the "Host a phalla" thread.

Please resume your pre-game random finger pointing.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I am an assassin.
    I knew it.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You cracked my clever code. Eliminate the 2nd letter....then all the rest till the m in more then a few more and uh...yea. Betcha can't figure out my secret message for the rest of the message!

Huh? How good are you?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I like men.
    Wait, what does that have to do with the Phalla?O_o

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I like men.
    Wait, what does that have to do with the Phalla?O_o

It is greek you know. :winky:
    Well played my good man, well played.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This is going to rock my socks off, I just know it.

Johannen on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One day left...

Plenty of time to grease ourselves up for the impending "wrastlin' "

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm at a pretty distinct disadvantage here. You know, since women weren't allowed to vote in Greece.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    After considering what DevoutlyApathetic said, I've decided to go ahead and post details about the role mechanics early, so everyone is on even footing. Here you go:
    7 spies – Spies are the bad guys, here. Their leader is Athan, the chosen of Hades, and he is immune to death by mortal hand. Have fun with that one.

3 Oracles (seers)
    Role Mechanics:
    Every other night, an oracle may select one person about whom to have a vision. The vision will reveal if a player is a spy or a faithful soldier, but not any special powers. Each night, only one Oracle is active, such that each Oracle may have a vision every third night.

2 Phylakes (guardians)
    Role Mechanics:
    Every other night, a Phylakas may choose to protect one person from death by any means other than the vote. A Phylakas may protect against any number of attacks on a given night. That is, if every player capable of attacking tries to kill a person protected by a Phylakas, the person will survive. The Phylakes are that bad-ass. Phylakes operate on alternating nights.

A whole bunch of Hoplites (normal villagers)
    Role mechanics:
    You are the pride of Phallia, the heart and soul of her army. Your goal is to weed out and kill the spies and their leader, Athan, before you all fall prey to his blade. Each night, you will vote for the player you’d like to see ritually beheaded before the enraged and paranoid masses.

In addition to these character roles, there will be an item in play:

The Staff of Asclepius:

This serpent-entwined staff has the power to resurrect any person who is killed by any means. The holder needs merely to designate any deceased person, and that person will be brought back to life the next day, with any powers intact (seers will remain seers, etc). If a person possessing the staff is killed, the killer takes possession of it. If the person holding the staff is voted for execution by the mob, the staff will go to one of the people who voted for the holder’s execution at random. The staff may be used twice before it loses its powers, and it initially is in the possession of a loyal hoplite. It may be freely given to any player – the person currently holding it merely needs to send me a PM. It may also be given anonymously, if the current holder desires.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm at a pretty distinct disadvantage here. You know, since women weren't allowed to vote in Greece.

They also weren't allowed to leave their homes, but thats besides the point. =P

I'm sure this is a very forward thinking, liberal people who have had the crap so beaten out of them that they really don't care if your even human so long as you can lift a spear you're hired. ^.^

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Maybe you can pull a Mulan and dress up as a guy. This also has the advantage of providing the game with a hilarious, slapstick shower scene.

ElJeffe on
This discussion has been closed.