Options

Sine Mora - Quite possibly the best horizontal shmup of all time

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Sine Mora came out yesterday and it has already overtaken Gradius V as my favorite horizontal shmup. It's a diesel-punk time-travelling 2D horizontal shmup created by Digital Reality and Grasshopper Manufacture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaO1djQMhF4

Reviewers seem to like it:

Joystiq 4.5/5 (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/21/sine-mora-review/)
IGN 9/10 (http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/122/1221210p1.html)
Destructoid 9.5/10 (http://www.destructoid.com/review-sine-mora-224060.phtml)
Eurogamer 9/10 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-21-sine-mora-review)

From my own review:

http://zeboyd.com/2012/03/22/sine-mora-review/
How is Sine Mora so good? Let’s see…

Gameplay that takes the best elements from bullet hell shmups and more traditional shmups.

A unique health system where you can be hit multiple times but each time you’re hit, you lose time and if you run out of time (and don’t have a backup time extension power-up), you’re dead.

Wonderful 3D graphics (but played in 2D) filled with creative landscapes and impressive enemies.

Music and sound overseen by legendary Silent Hill composer, Akira Yamaoka.

3 playable ships (main gun), several playable pilots (secondary attack), and 3 time control abilities (slow down, reverse, and reflect).

A fast-forward button to skip through unplayable story parts on repeat playings.

It’s really long for the genre. There are 6 main stages (plus a final boss stage & tutorial stage) but each stage is made up of 2 different levels, each of which is about as long as a typical shmup level and ends with an impressive multi-step boss.

More variety (both gameplay and setting) than you find in most shmups. Tons of memorable moments.

A creative achievement system where most of the Xbox achievement are ranks and each rank requires several smaller achievements to gain.

Plenty of leaderboards to compete on.

An actually well-written story (although confusing at first) with many interesting characters.

Four difficulty levels (Casual, Challenging, Hard, Insane) and difficulty modifiers based on how well you’re playing make the game accommodating to both the experience and unexperienced shmup fan.

Sine Mora feels like Digital Reality and Grasshopper Manufacture never got the memo that shmups are a niche genre these days so instead they decided to go all out with an AAA production. I would wholeheartedly recommend Sine Mora as a $60 retail game. That it is available for $15 as an XBLA title makes it one of the best gaming deals of the year.

So has anyone else picked up this gem of a game?

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This and Crysis 2 are 3D gaming done right.

edit: That said I'm waiting on a sale, 1200 is not what Im going to pay, despite the game being awesome.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Steampunk 3D shmup? I want this yesterday, now I know what to do with those 800 points I got from XBL Rewards

• Options
    The game has a LOT more content than your typical shmup - some 14 levels (6x2 + tutorial + final boss stage), 4 difficulties, tons of ship/pilot/ability combinations, Story Mode, Alternate Story mode, Arcade, Score Attack, and Boss modes. It's like 2-3 full fledged shmups combined into one. Seriously, don't let the $15 price tag scare you off - there's a ton of game here and it's of such high quality.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Topping Gradius V? I need this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Top rated games of 2012 with 10 or more reviews on Gamerankings.
    http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2012&numrev=1&sort=0&letter=&search=

1 - Xenoblade Chronicles
    2 - Mass Effect 3 (360)
    3 - Journey
    4 - Mass Effect 3 (PS3)
    5 - Rayman Origins (Vita)
    6 - Sine Mora

Not bad company to be in. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Do you happen to know if it will be coming to PC at some point in the future?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Darmak wrote: »
    Do you happen to know if it will be coming to PC at some point in the future?

The publisher is Microsoft, so probably on Windows 8 :(

Not that I don't like XBLA.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    No flying loli and/or anime girls? Why bother.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Hey, Deathsmiles was tasteful. I wrote an elaborate review on GameFAQs :P

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Gradius V is an all time favorite. You speak big words, sir. I downloaded this before I went to work, so I'll be checking it out when I get home tonight.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's no Parodius, but it looks damn good--thank you for bringing this to my attention.

• Options
    I would go so far as to say Deathsmiles topped Gradius V, but that's because of new technology allowing things like the best leaderboard and replay functions I've ever seen. Gradius V is still one of the best, most immortal shumps out there. I also like DS's difficulty curve and pace more.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Briefly on my radar because I originally laughed at the idea of Suda making a shmup.

But damn.

Now I gotta get this.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I would go so far as to say Deathsmiles topped Gradius V, but that's because of new technology allowing things like the best leaderboard and replay functions I've ever seen. Gradius V is still one of the best, most immortal shumps out there. I also like DS's difficulty curve and pace more.

I was really disappointed by Deathsmiles. The graphics reminded me of the original Donkey Kong Country (and not in a good way), the music wasn't memorable, and the gameplay didn't impress me. Didn't hate it but I really didn't see where the hype came from.

• Options

I was really disappointed by Deathsmiles. The graphics reminded me of the original Donkey Kong Country (and not in a good way), the music wasn't memorable, and the gameplay didn't impress me. Didn't hate it but I really didn't see where the hype came from.

I thought it was only okay for similar reasons. I also have a natural bias against Cave's scoring systems, though Death Smiles wasn't terrible.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Sheep wrote: »

I thought it was only okay for similar reasons. I also have a natural bias against Cave's scoring systems, though Death Smiles wasn't terrible.

I'm not sure what to compare Cave's scoring to, because I like it. I'd say an example of a bad scoring system is Raiden Jet Fighters where it's a matter of knowing where all the Easter Eggs are, making all the shooting and playing the game irrelevant. The songs in DS that are very Cave like are the dullest songs (the Gorge,) where things like the medley shine bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGpW03jNjQ

DS's original sprites are pixelated poop, but that's restricted to the raw Arcade mode. 360 Arcade and Black Label modes hi-res it up and allow widescreen.

Actually, here's my review of DS, and from the sound of things, Sine Mora will very well stomp all over DS.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/952641-deathsmiles/reviews/review-142011

Cantido on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I watched a quick look of this on Giant Bomb and love that all the narration and speech is in Hungarian. Not a language you hear often in gaming!

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Arcade mode forces you to start on 'Hard'

'Hard' is really fucking hard. I can't get past the first sub boss.

But playing through Story mode on normal was a treat.

Edit: Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-yXYdS4LY

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The problem with both Raiden Jet Fighters and Cave are similar. They both concern themselves with memorizing the levels. In RJF it's finding the power ups. In Cave it's memorizing enemy and bullet patterns. Not necessarily bad gameplay, but I think it's slightly counter intuitive with the genre.

Ikaruga gets a pass because it elevated the concept.
    SteevL wrote: »
    I watched a quick look of this on Giant Bomb and love that all the narration and speech is in Hungarian. Not a language you hear often in gaming!

Dang.

I had hoped they opted to create their own language but I appreciate this choice as well.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Arcade mode forces you to start on 'Hard'

'Hard' is really fucking hard. I can't get past the first sub boss.

But playing through Story mode on normal was a treat.

Yeah, I managed to beat Story mode on Challenging mode but Arcade mode is tearing me apart. I did manage to get past the first sub-boss though. :)

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    If it ever comes out on PC, I'll grab it. XBLA is not something I often invest in, sadly.

Really dig the art direction though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If it ever comes out on PC, I'll grab it. XBLA is not something I often invest in, sadly.

With Zen Pinball coming out on the Windows 8 Preview, I'm speculating that Microsoft's IPs will all move to Windows 8 over time.

• Options

With Zen Pinball coming out on the Windows 8 Preview, I'm speculating that Microsoft's IPs will all move to Windows 8 over time.

I could... eventually do this maybe. I'm not a huge fan of Win8, but gotta move ahead eventually. (Finally joined the Win7 generation just over a year and a half ago~)

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I could... eventually do this maybe. I'm not a huge fan of Win8, but gotta move ahead eventually. (Finally joined the Win7 generation just over a year and a half ago~)

You're farther along than me, I just used a laptop with Windows Vista on it few weeks ago and that was the first time I'd ever used that OS. I don't think I've even SEEN Windows 7 in action before.

• Options
    Heh, Destructoid has character art. Those are some gritty ass furries.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Looks amazing, but I too will probably have to wait for a PC release. My dinky 20GB HDD has made it difficult to pick up XBL titles and add-on content.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Sine Mora came out yesterday and it has already overtaken Gradius V as my favorite horizontal shmup.

Rainbow, you horrible horrible man. You know just what to say to me don't you?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    You know, there's no guarantee of a PC release at all guys. If you don't own a 360, that's one thing, but if you do, you probably shouldn't wait if this game interests you. Especially since it doesn't look like it's selling all that well (which makes a PC port even less likely).

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    You know, there's no guarantee of a PC release at all guys. If you don't own a 360, that's one thing, but if you do, you probably shouldn't wait if this game interests you. Especially since it doesn't look like it's selling all that well (which makes a PC port even less likely).

Which is a shame, seeing as how releasing on PC would probably increase their sales substantially.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    While a valid argument... that means I'd have to use the XBLA, which means I'd have to somehow validate their terrible new dash update. which I refuse to do. God, I hate their new dash.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh dear. Are other downloadable titles drowning it out or are too many people playing ME3?

• Options
    I guess I'm just worried about their sales. Last night, I saw they had about 1500-2000 entries on the easy story mode, maybe 600-700 on normal story mode, and probably less on the other modes. By my estimate, that puts their day 1 revenue at roughly the day 1 revenue that our game made on Steam. Needless to say, Sine Mora's development costs were drastically higher than ours. I wouldn't be surprised if Sine Mora cost $3-5 million to make.

I really hope that the game sells well enough to make it profitable. It's so good and I'd love to see it usher in a new era of high quality shmups.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    im bummed that this isnt coming out on the ps3 any more. it looks pretty fun.

• Options
    Kind of shooting yourself in the foot to go XBLA only. I mean how many games have really sold well from there? Castle Crashers? Trenched I suppose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Would be all over this if it was on Steam. I'm sure it would sell exponentially better if it was. Since I don't own an ExBawks, though...

• Options
    Kind of shooting yourself in the foot to go XBLA only. I mean how many games have really sold well from there? Castle Crashers? Trenched I suppose.

That's just it. Microsoft published this.

• Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    For some reason I thought I saw this on steam, and was pretty disappointed when I checked again and saw otherwise :(

Too many years of touhou games on keyboard to accept the 360 pad at this point, so i'll have to pass as well.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    I guess I'm just worried about their sales. Last night, I saw they had about 1500-2000 entries on the easy story mode, maybe 600-700 on normal story mode, and probably less on the other modes. By my estimate, that puts their day 1 revenue at roughly the day 1 revenue that our game made on Steam. Needless to say, Sine Mora's development costs were drastically higher than ours. I wouldn't be surprised if Sine Mora cost $3-5 million to make.

I really hope that the game sells well enough to make it profitable. It's so good and I'd love to see it usher in a new era of high quality shmups.

Goddamn you and your insider knowledge and insight *orders 1600 points off Amazon...*

• Options

That's just it. Microsoft published this.

Publishing on XBL means a lot of things. I mean, Digital Reality got Kalypso to publish skydrift on Steam and Grasshopper could have probably gotten just about anyone to back them if they really wanted.

Microsoft likes to 'publish' things by just waiving the horrible XBL fees and forcing you to be exclusive while not actually paying you a cent. Thats their idea of publishing a lot of the time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Yeah, deleted some games I've already beaten off of my HDD. Downloading now.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D