As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Inspirado

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'd love to work at a company like Blizzard, but I have other goals I prioritize more. I want to remain in the Pacific Northwest, if I can. I have family here, and so does my wife. I want to work on smaller projects in smaller teams, so I can experience the production of at least one title a year, if possible. I want to have more creative ownership over what I do. I want to be paid well enough to get a house with a garage that I can turn into a workshop. I want to have weekends free so I can build things and play D&D with friends once in a while and paint models and maybe learn to play music. I want to get to the point in five to ten years where I can open my own studio with friends and build our own projects. I want to raise a family before I turn 40.

You should totally revise that to 'move to Northern California'

because I'm here

and that's cool
    Totally not trying to get rad people to live nearby so we can hang out more often, noope

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    norcal seems like a nice place

still unsure if i would want to live on the west coast

i need to visit more cities

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The other thing with talented people. Especially in regards to drawing, and art in general. Is that they have been doing that shit for years. like since they were three or whatever.

What they have, And what people who do not have talent lack, was a passion for just fucking drawing. Not saying man I wish I could draw well, try for a month and again give up. They don't care. They just keep plugging away.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Norcal is a nice place

my only issue with it is that not enough people I know live here

And most of the ones that do are spread across the bay area

Moriveth on
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Norcal is a nice place

my only issue with it is that not enough people I know live here

And most of the ones that do are spread across the bay area

los angeles is definitely a city i'm looking at for grad school. looks to have such a great feel and a vibrant art/design community

plus, fighting games

Unfortunately LA is nowhere near NorCal

but yeah, it's a nice city

also my motto to live by, as a creative person:

don't talk, do shit

that one phrase sums up everything i've learned about how to improve and even be successful as a creative person

or even in non-creative fields, fuck it. that shit's my life anthem

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    The other thing with talented people. Especially in regards to drawing, and art in general. Is that they have been doing that shit for years. like since they were three or whatever.

What they have, And what people who do not have talent lack, was a passion for just fucking drawing. Not saying man I wish I could draw well, try for a month and again give up. They don't care. They just keep plugging away.

Practice makes better.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Do visit! I think it is pretty rad here myself. We, uh, are totally like LA only with better weather and better traffic... >.>

Janson wrote: »

Do visit! I think it is pretty rad here myself. We, uh, are totally like LA only with better weather and better traffic... >.>

tell me some art/design schools in the area! i would for sure like to check them out

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    WHOO base of Secret Project #4 done

Now to do the fun stuff like sew in ends (not actually fun)

Feeling inspired

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    In general I just always agree with everything Rank says all of the time.

Oh yeah? What about that time Rank told me to punch that bear in the mouth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X483GIZ86gc

belruelotterav-1.jpg

oh i missed this

yes i know that, but it's closer than say... like, chicago? which is currently the front runner of "places i want to live"

oh i missed this

yes i know that, but it's closer than say... like, chicago? which is currently the front runner of "places i want to live"

True!

I only said that because lots of people (who don't live in CA, so it's understandable) assume LA and SF are really close together

when really they're like a 5-6 hour drive apart from each other

oh i missed this

True!

I only said that because lots of people (who don't live in CA, so it's understandable) assume LA and SF are really close together

when really they're like a 5-6 hour drive apart from each other

hah yeah that is true. however apparently oakland has an arts school with printmaking facilities. hm hm hm onto the list it goes

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

I would have told you to do the same thing.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm thinking about looking into this local community voice acting class type thingy.

BLM - ACAB
    Oh do that thing, Geek.

That's something that I have always wanted to try.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I'm thinking about looking into this local community voice acting class type thingy.

:^:

That sounds both like something fun and that I'd be good at perhaps.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular

don't talk, do shit

that one phrase sums up everything i've learned about how to improve and even be successful as a creative person

What if you're a motivational speaker?

Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

See, you should have checked what kind of bear it was first, Dru.

OHSHIT.jpg
    OHSHITOHSHIT.jpg
    OHSHI-.jpg
    blood1.jpg
    dark.jpg
    dark1.jpg
    hyft.jpg
    gods.jpg
    god123.jpg
    attack1.jpg

You brought this upon yourself, you know.

(To those who don't know, @Berk is responsible for the above series of images.)

• NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel bad about my choice in Majors (history). Mostly when ever people ask me what I'm majoring in and they ask me if I'm going to be a teacher, when I tell them no and they ask me what else I can do with a history degree. But then I remember that I'm paying this money and doing all this work so I can do something that I enjoy doing, not for the approval of other people.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    But yeah as for inspiration I def have to say my dad. If I can be even a fraction of the man he is I'll be alright.

xXNXOA7.png?1

don't talk, do shit

If you aren't doing anything then what the fuck kind of good motivational speaker can you be

If you're sitting on your ass getting royalties from a book you had ghost written and just giving motivational talks then you are just the worst

Don't even care what you did before that point. Never stop doing shit ever until you die

And even then

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel bad about my choice in Majors (history). Mostly when ever people ask me what I'm majoring in and they ask me if I'm going to be a teacher, when I tell them no and they ask me what else I can do with a history degree. But then I remember that I'm paying this money and doing all this work so I can do something that I enjoy doing, not for the approval of other people.

just remember

when people ask "what can you do with that"

they may be asking in tone that suggests they already know the answer, and that answer is "dick-all"

but they are wrong

and anyone who does this is a dickhead

Shorty on

don't talk, do shit

If you aren't doing anything then what the fuck kind of good motivational speaker can you be

If you're sitting on your ass getting royalties from a book you had ghost written and just giving motivational talks then you are just the worst

Don't even care what you did before that point. Never stop doing shit ever until you die

And even then

So...

You mean give your motivational speeches in mime or?

You are a tedious person

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    weed and television and books

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    since uni started up again i've had a policy of getting something done every single day

i need a first class honours if i want to do a phd and i also need to be writing as much as possible if i ever want to get good at it so there's a lot to occupy my time

and i've found that, if i have a day where i just sit around and do nothing, it feels fucking weird. this is the first day in a couple of months where i haven't spent a few hours working, and i don't think i like it! i'm a lot happier when i have to constantly be doing something

i have come to believe that it's not so much about being motivated as it is about getting to the point where it feels wrong not to be motivated

he says, dicking around on the forums

• OdenOden Registered User regular
    I don't like a lot of what I create

when people see my half finished projects they are always impressed with what they see

at that point I lose even more motivation because I ask myself why I never finish anything

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular

"Norcal" sounds like a town in Skyrim to me

Stop making places up!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »

"Norcal" sounds like a town in Skyrim to me

Stop making places up!

I did some questing in Norcal until its thane was killed by a chimera.

Shame that.

But i did get a sweet mounted head, a new jacket, and some boots out of it.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Doesn't it sound dickish to say I am inspired by people who do a bad job of things? "I could do that better!"

I am inspired by music, as a lot of people have said. Art as well. I don't think I'll ever be 'original' in the things I think or make but I'm okay with that, there is something to be said for a job done competently. I lack in motivation unfortunately, and the thing that best gets me off my butt is the fear of failure . . . so I guess it isn't ideal but it is better than not doing anything? Likewise motivated by my friends. I come back and I see how things aren't really working out for them either (one of them unfortunately seems depressed to me) and man . . . I like these people but I don't want them to be a drag on me, so I end up being the one organizing things and getting us out there doing stuff they would not do on their own and that I wouldn't do by myself or if my friends were a bit more proactive. I don't know how 'good' that is but it seems to do them good and I guess it is good for me too in a way, I'm not really take-charge otherwise.

Yeah people who are wildly popular but mediocre at what they do can be very inspiring.

Inspiring doesn't feel like the right word for that though.

Oden wrote: »
    I don't like a lot of what I create

when people see my half finished projects they are always impressed with what they see

at that point I lose even more motivation because I ask myself why I never finish anything

this is good

if you like what you've made it's a sign that you don't understand it well enough

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    @Gatsby is my inspiration.

He shows me the beauty in this world constantly, and I am so blessed.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Awww.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    blurf

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hold me, Edcrab.