Options

A bracing morning swim: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st Ed PbP

2456713

Posts

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Assuming you all received Snowdon's present then I think we're fairly good to go once he has worked out what is up with his character.

    If you could create or edit a nice character summary post like Grog's fine example that would be great.

    We will use the optional weapon modifier rules on page 120.

    You get no chance to spend your starting money yet. Just the base trappings of your class and career.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    Hm, haven't received it. Can you resend?

  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'll make it a new post.

    Godric the Militiaman
    Age: 32

    M5 WS 33 BS 20 S4 T4 W6 I23 A1 Dex30 LD34 Int31 Cl 35 WP24 Fel29
    Fate Points 3

    Skills:
    Night Vision 10
    Drive Cart
    Dance
    Dodge
    Strike Mighty Blow

    Combat Gear:
    Helmet
    Mail Shirt
    Shield
    Spear (+10I on first round, persists if winning, +20I against mounted opponents) +10 to hit on flying enemies
    Mace
    Crossbow
    Knife

    Inventory:
    Practical clothing with hooded cloak and boots
    Backpack
    Tankard/cutlery
    Tinderbox
    Blanket

    11 Gold

    Background:
    Inducted into the city watch for being "a rather large boy" at the age of 15, Godric has been beating heads of thieves and ne'er-do-wells for over half his life. He has since become separated from his unit after they were called up to assist the defense of Praag from the forces of Chaos.

    TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    For the sake of fitting in to back-stories, you will be all beginning on a slow boat to Nuln having decided that heading to the big city is the best way to leave behind your past and kick start your new life as an adventurer.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    oh i wish i had seen this thread earlier!

    it is good to see wfrp on the forums!

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    I believe that everyone should now have my present. I didn't want to make the link public for obvious reasons, so I required emails to send it.

  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Merrick Oddfoot the Halfling Rogue Tomb Raider

    M:3 WS:21 BS:26 S:2 T:3 W:4 Init:50 Atk:1 Dex:50 Lead:20 Int:32 Cool:19 Will:40 Fel:41

    Age:36
    Fate:2

    Language: Old Worlder
    Night Vision: 20 Yards
    Height 3'6

    Skills:
    Cook
    Herb Lore
    Dodge Blow
    Street Fighting
    Sing
    Concealment Rural
    Concealment Urban
    Silent Move Rural
    Silent Move Urban
    Spot Trap
    Secret Signs - Thieves'
    Secret Language - Thieves' Tongue
    Evaluate

    Inventory:
    Well Secreted Moneypouch: 13 coppers
    Worn Clothing
    Worn Boots
    Knife tucked into Boot
    Crowbar
    Lantern
    Leather Jack
    10 Yards of Rope
    3 Sacks
    Hand Weapon

    Snowdown on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    One public speaker and three singer/dancers. Get the slayer to act as front of house and you can sod this adventuring lark for setting up your own theatre revue.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Yah, lets blow this popsicle stand, and make a boy-band!
    As a halfling, I can totally fill in the spot of the "young baby faced one"

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    0dfdc8f9.jpg

    After what seems like months, your boat reaches Nuln. You are frozen and soaked through from the all pervading river fog. It is probably true to say you all bitterly regret buying a cheap deck-class passage on an aging riverboat; it doesn't seem a particularly heroic way to start your lives as adventurers.

    The pilot brings the boat alongside a jetty. Crewmen throw ropes to waiting dockers, the ropes are lashed around massive wooden uprights and the boat is pulled onto the jetty with a dull thump. The gangplank is lowered and timber cranes swing across the deck to unload the cargo.

    So close to your destination you are keen to get moving on but a pair of well armed men stand guard on the dock side. No one is to leave the boat until the customs formalities are over and from the sound of raised voices between the captain and an official, this could take quite some time.

    As you settle down for a long wait you look around the motley crew sharing the deck with you and think back on the journey. During the slow crawl through the fog you have got to know each other and maybe even become friends of a sort, united by the adversity of your current conditions and a common desire to escape the grinding tedium of everyday life for something a bit more exciting.

    In character or narrated introduction time in the form of a snapshot or two into your interactions during the boat journey. How social were you with the others on board? How much interest did you show in the ambitions and intentions of others for when you reach Nuln, and how much did you share of your own?

    Also please all Google yourselves up a picture for your characters. Probably a few good candidates in the rule book.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    Ilumor Mistwalker
    YEYE6.jpg

    If it wasn't to see one of the great cities of the Empire, Ilumor would almost think the trip wasn't worth it. It apparently wasn't very common to have an elf on board the ferry, of which he was frequently reminded. But all of the invariably silly elf related questions tended to be diverted and the questioners driven off once he started talking about trees and leaves and such, subjects which he could carry on about for quite some time. Fortunately there were plenty of passengers to discuss the woodlands with. He even seemed interested in what they had to say, themselves.

    He had been rather open about why he traveled - adventure, fame, seeing the world, etc. The Empire was certainly a fine place to start. First he just had to get off this damned boat.

  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Anything to get the hell away from Praag.

    Godric wasn't a man of travels, he did not see the world. When the watch from his hometown was called up to defend Praag from the hosts of the North, he thought it a chance to see something interesting. He was right. The horrors that he witnessed there have yet to leave his soul, and they may never. He jumped at the opportunity to leave and escort this craft to Nuln, where it will be picking up more supplies for another journey north.

    He has kept mostly to himself, other than keeping up with his duties.

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick Oddfoot
    TheHobbitBilboStill.jpg

    The long, wet days and nights on the boat blurred together. There was only so much wonder that could be found in watching new terrain drift by. Eventually, it all begins to look the same, and even for a halfling used to the lazy days of the Moot it was boring.

    Merrick was beginning to think he had made a mistake traveling to the city to seek his fortune. He had, however, passed the tedium of the boat ride as all things are past by his race. Through food and song. The laughter and disdain shown by the crew melted the first night when they tasted his soup. Happy to be eating something other than the hard bread and salted beef that made their normal rations, Merrick had introduced them to herbs and spices that many of them had never tasted before. It turned to camaraderie when they joined him in song. And so it had gone for Merrick, cooking, and singing, a little dicing and dancing. He had even learned a bawdy tune or two that he had never heard before.

    He was almost sad to see them go. The crew were a good sort once you got to know them, but he wasn't going to get rich cooking on a boat. He found common ground with the elf, trading his knowledge of herbology for the elf's knowledge of the woodlands. He never had much use for the woods before; the moot was filled with small copes of trees, but the vast forests that the elf spoke of were nonexistent, and sounded dangerous.

    The human kept to himself; Merrick prodded here and there, and managed to learn his name, but little else. Merrick himself was open and jovial. He picked up this boat in the Moot on his way to Nuln in search of adventure. Fortune wouldn't be half bad either.

  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    nkTLQ.jpg

    The beginning of the trip had, though Gavnog would be loath to admit it, mostly been defined by the presence of the elf. The first few hours had been taken up by loudly listing all the variations of 'long ears' he knew, but when it descended into mumbling Dwarfish curses he suspected even the other dwarf had heard enough. The halfling served as ample distraction and when it came to singing Gavnog was deep enough in the ale to belt out a few warsongs into the night.

    The singing wasn't quite as welcome in the morning, the slayer finding the silent company of the human much more preferable to the jabbering cook. Maybe it was just the pounding headache and re-emergence of dinner, but Gavnog was sure he'd formed a silent bond with Godric. It was hard to tell with the stoic militiaman.

    By the time they had docked the dwarf had recovered from his hangover and had begun practising his axe-swinging. "Get a move on ya damn bureaucrats!" He hollered over his shoulder, his axe flying an inch above the halfling's head. "A've an oath ta die fightin monsters, not boredom!" He chuckled and looked at the others, wondering why everyone had backed away a few yards.

  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    For Kazrik the combination of his mistrust of wood, the sea, and boats in general, had created a perfect storm of loathing for further aquatic travel by the time the vessel docked in Nuln. The seemingly mindless delay over portage fees and warehousing wasn't helping either; why couldn't these manlings just pay for the dock maintenance out of their annual tithes to the king like civilised folk?

    Anyway, other than the fact that the trip was by boat, the company had been les disagreeable than expected; even the Elf's reactions to the slayer's cursing were entertaining, and the crew themselves seemed willing enough to listen to his proclamations on the nature of fate once the halfling had plied them with his mysterious dishes. Speaking of whom, Merrick had a keen ear for a bawd and had picked up Kazrik's favourite, about the ale-mistress and the donkey, in record time, even if he insisted on singing it too fast.
    Maybe one day I'll give him the translation too.…

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Snowdon wrote:
    How long were we actually ON the boat?

    Merrick has herb lore, any chance I can already have a pouch full of herbs? Mostly spices, for cooking but I'm not sure what other kinds are available.

    Also, while on the boat, did Merrick notice anything of particular value that he might want to lift? Afterall, he did cook the entire time, he should be compensated :P

    No need to hide away in PMs. I'm not too fussed on the IC/OOC divide. I think the two can mix perfectly well as they would do at the table. Perhaps in character or in game narration stuff in italics to make it stand out a little.

    This particular boat journey has been crawling along for a number of days but you may not have all joined right at the start. Depending on your beginnings this could be the final leg of a very long journey indeed.

    Time for some dice rolls! This is a perfect example of pro-active character action and intent I'd like the rest of you to emulate.

    He can happily have a collection of cooking herbs. As for more practical herbage, I may have gone a little enthusiastic and purchased the start of The Enemy Within campaign, which handily has a page on herbs! Make an Int test (d100, try and roll beneath or equal to the stat) with a -15 bonus for taking your time on The Moot to collect supplies before you go.

    To see if you can convince anyone into letting you get some cash money for your cooking skills if that was what you were asking, make an Int (actual cooking skill) and Fel (charming the nice sailors and passengers out of their cash) combined test. Combined tests are taken by trying to roll under the average of the stats involved. I am however going to double your Int due to your cooking skill so [64+41]/2=52.5

    There's certainly nothing obvious of value left around where the passengers roam. If you were saying you wish to case the other passengers and crew for thievery marks then observation is an Initiative check. There may be consequences if you fail badly enough to be spotted.

    Remember that skill checks are not straight win/lose but have a degree of success or failure depending on how far above/below the target you roll.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Herbology, 56 (71 before the -15 for taking my time)
    Cook/fellowship test, 47 (though until I re-read i thought it was roll both then average)
    Case test: 31

    rolls:

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Despite your best efforts it was a terrible herb harvest before you left the Moot and what meagre scraps of medicinal herbs you did manage to pick will have perished during the journey and lost their potency for more subtle effects. The best you can do is mix all the dried leafs together into a herbal paste that can help heal light injuries.

    (1d4 = 1 dose of herbal paste. Restores 1 wound point to lightly wounded characters)

    Your cooking skills go down a treat as you knew they would and your amiable demeanour means people are more than happy to offer up a coin or two as thanks for your efforts and ingredients. Sorting through all the change gathered during the journey you find you have made a respectable (1d4+1=) 4 gold crowns. Not exactly your fortune but better than nothing by a long shot.

    As for helping yourself to a little more fortune from your fellow passengers, you keep an eye out but it really doesn't seem worth the effort. The crew keep anything of value locked up in their cabins and this being primarily a cargo ship, your fellow passengers aren't exactly the type to be laden down with valuables. Combined with the fact that in such confined quarters there's significant risk of being traced after the fact even if you steal a purse silently at the time, the risk/reward equation simply isn't a good one.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You've heard the nightwatch call midnight before you're finally allowed down the gangplank and loosed into the dark city. Knackered in that special way that only extended travel will do for you, you stick together for companionship and safety as you start trying to find somewhere to put your heads down for the night.

    By the time you have tried all the inns that are open along the waterfront another hour has passed, but they are all full. Tired and groggy, you begin to despair of ever finding a room when a hand grasps the shoulder of one of the party as, following another rejection, you head out the door of the Fisherman's Friend.

    The toothless yet smiling face of a man who introduces himself as Grolsch Van Eyke greets you. He speaks with a distinctive Wastelander accent and seems to take pity on you when he hears of your predicament.

    'Just a stroke of bad luck that you've arrived at the same time as a half dozen other vessels is all lads. Tell you what, giz'za couple of shillings and I can take you to a little place I know off the waterfront and away from all these sailors taking up all the beds.'


    DMs tip/request. If you read what other people suggest for action and think 'I don't need to add anything as I'm fine with what they are suggesting,' please make post to that effect, even if just a few words! Not every post needs to be a flowery narrative and things will flow much better with everyone checking in regularly.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick turns to face the newcomer and says "Good Evening, Mr. Van Eyke, how fortuitous it is for us to meet you here when all of the Inn's beds are full. What say you, companions? I for one would like to get out of the rain and into a nice soft bed."

    The way the book describes Thieves Tongue, you say one thing openly, while using body language/inflection etc to say something completely different to someone who knows it.
    While in thieves tongue saying "Alright Chummer, we're all lethal seasoned adventurers here, you wouldn't be trying to lead us to a seedy place to rob or kill us now, would you?"

    Is there a test to detect motives or deception?

  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Godric unfastens his mace from his belt, "Sure, lead on. Let's skip any dark alleys though. Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt." His days in the watch have prepared him for most scams.

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ilumor taps his foot lightly, regarding Grolsch. He hasn't been in many cities, true, but this still smells a little. Course, he has a big axe on his back and an angry, cussing dwarf at his side, so that makes him feel a bit better.
    "Very well," he says slowly, nodding to Merrick.

    I don't have the any reference handy at the moment, but I assume 'spot trap' skill covers physical traps, and less so the ambush sort? If it does, for some reason, I'd like Ilumor to go ahead and try to use that as they follow the shady toothless guy. Or, hell, use it anyway. It'd suck to walk into a big net already.

    Icerimp on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    There's no doubting he's a shady type but you don't detect any menace from Grolsch. He seems unarmed and looks to have weathered too many years of an unkind life to pose much of a physical threat, as long as you don't get too close to his breath. He is however very keen on your coin and manages to slip his ever increasing fee into almost every sentence he speaks.

    'So what do you say, 3 shillings to take you to some nice, warm, dry beds eh? I'm telling you, I know the landlord of the Rusty Dragon personally, mention my name and he'll give you the best rooms there. You'll be so glad that you paid a mere 4 shillings for my help rather than spend the night in a doorway with the rats.'

    He turns to Godrick,

    'I'm fully with you on the avoiding dark alleys bit. It can be a rough city and I and don't fancy somone clonking old friendly Grolsch round the back of the head in a back alley as payment for his kindness. And it isn't that I don't think you lads look trustworthy but you never know with out of towners, and there's plenty enough local no good 'uns to go round besides. Not that it'd do anyone any good as I just spent my last pennies on a disappointing ale in the Fish and have nothing on me. Nothing but the five shillings that is of course. So if one you gents would care to pass me the coins shall we be off?'


    Merrick watched the man carefully as he talked but there was no reply to his hidden thieves' language signals.

    There's not a test for detect motives as such. It's a simple system and the liar's Fellowship test is all that's needed for a bluff. If there's something odd to spot I'll make a secret Init test for you though.

    Spot trap skill noted and will be used if appropriate.

    He's not moving anywhere until he has the cash. The are 20 shilling in a gold crown because this RP system was written by people who remember the time before decimalisation.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Is 3 schillings a lot?

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Not really. It'd buy a night in a private room at an Inn or a day of basic food.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    "3 schillings then! Show us the way!" Godric says, giving a gentle shove on the back to Grolsh.

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, we about to be press-ganged or what?
    Also, slightly more seriously, is there any way to use divination surreptitiously?

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    If the question is clear and simple you can probably cast a few quick rune stones at heavy penalty. Test Int.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So imma ask the fates if this guy intends to harm us and get a 9! That's pretty good, right?

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "Long as it's no outta my purse" Gavnog gestures to the threadbare sack containing his worldly belongings.

    Onwards, to the trap.

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Out in the street and with everyone keen to be moving on, Kazrik has very little time to do more than most basic of castings. He can but try to get a feeling for the events of the immediate future on their current course and nothing more specific. Passing a quick eye over the scattered stones before he gathers them in, the only rune coming to any prominence is the crossed axes of conflict. What this signifies (if anything) and how soon it will come to pass remains unknown.

    My fault, but in the future we'll keep divination rolls my side of the screen so you don't know how well you rolled.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick looks to his companions and then shakes his head.
    "Bah, very well. I'd gladly pay 3 shillings for a bed."

    He reaches into his tunic and produces a small pouch that jingles a bit.
    Pouring some of its contents into his hand, he counts out three shillings and gives one to Gavnog.
    "The other two when we're there safe and sound, my good man. Does this place have food to offer as well?"

    Mental note: screw the party out of money later to make up for this. -- Check!

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Grolsch leads you into the night and depsite his earlier comment the route swiftly and subtly devolves from main routes to dark, winding alleys and through streets littered with rotting vegetables and stinking debris. At last he reaches a door.

    'Here we are,' he grins. Then quick as a flash, he pulls the door open, leaps inside and throws the bolt behind him. Suddenly, you become aware that you are not alone.

    'Right,' growls a voice from the shadows behind you, 'Just drop you weapons and purses and walk away and there won't be no trouble.'

    You turn to see five bulky figures converging on you in the darkness.


    Just time for a few words of intent from you and we'll be in to combat (unless you surrender or run of course). No initiative rolls here, we go in strict Init order. Godric was savvy enough to state that he was holding his mace but the rest of you will be currently unarmed. Once I've got a map sorted, which may take a wee while, we can start puzzling through this combat system together as Ilumor leads the opening round with the highest initiative.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    What are these guys looking like, as far as weapons and gear and such?

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Shadowy figures! Burly humans with little more than crude clubs and mean intent.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    Peh, I have night vision. Not so shadowy to me!

    If they're not that heavily armed, I say we just mess them up. Jam wouldn't kill us in the first combat, right?

    ...Right?

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Jam is sticking to the letter of the rules laid down by Mr. Rick Priestly and co.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jam is sticking to the letter of the rules laid down by Mr. Rick Priestly and co.

    Translation: we are so screwed it's not even funny.

    Quite tempted to try and kick down that door the bait just disappeared through, but I'd probably break a foot.

    Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well with street fighting, I'm more than happy to pummel some thugs. Here I was thinking it'd be redundant.

    Grog on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick sighs pointedly.

    "Well, you knew this was going to happen. I warned your bait, and I'll warn you too. We'll leave none of you alive, except maybe to torture the location of your friend out of you."

    I bet that's got them shaking in their boots coming from a halfling.

Sign In or Register to comment.