As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A bracing morning swim: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st Ed PbP

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "Location? He's behind this damn door!" Gavnog slams a fist against the bolted door and grins at the thugs. "Now which one o' you lads's got the key?"

• Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "I bet I can axe the door down," Ilumor suggests thoughtfully, beginning to reach for his weapon. "I've cut down thicker trees."

Icerimp on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    "Do you really think he's going to still be behind the door once we kill all his dumb muscle?"

• Options
    edited April 2012
    "Maybe we won't have to kill them all before they surrender?" the elf casts a quick glance to the halfling. "Sorry, gents. Don't mind us. Just discussing a few things," he adds towards the thugs.

Icerimp on
  • Options
    If we have the time, Merrick will produce a very wicked looking longknife from seemingly nowhere. If not, then I guess street fighting it is!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    "This meeting was fated, but the outcome need not be death… if you withdraw, of course… pronounced Kazrik in his best doom-laden tones.

Is there some equivalent of Intimidate I can use here?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    "Ahh..." Godric sighs, "finally a problem I know how to deal with."

"Come on then! Either scurry away or get your brains beat in, I'm fine with either. I'll have you know that there's a slayer in our midst. You know, a dwarf that is even angrier and better with an axe than most. He won't let his doom be here. Your's will though. So just help us catch up with our guide so my friends and I don't have to beat in your skulls."

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Slight game pause. GM has failed his T check and contracted Red Pox.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ack! get better soon, and everybody have a great easter!

• Options
    We're all so bad at Warhammer Fantasy that we made him sick.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Ills cleared, Easter family banished, game on.

streetnightstarrt.jpg

The door that Grolsch fled through can be seen in the alley in the middle of the map. Despite map appearances it is of course not open.

Apart from the two street squares, the N and S edges of the map are blocked.

Initiative order:
    63 - Ilumor
    50 - Merrick
    30 - Footpads
    23 - Godric
    18 -Gavnog
    18 - Kazrik

Combat rules notes:
    The only way I'm deviating from the book is bringing a grid in for easier online play. Only move on diagonals if both intervening spaces are free and we'll use the silly D&D3.5 rules of first diagonal costs 1, second costs 2, third costs 1 etc.

A non-exhaustive list of things you can do on a turn:

- Move at cautious rate which is your M in squares. You can move at standard rate (2x M) or even running rate (4xM) but there will be risk tests involved for this as you are in a cramped cluttered back alley in the dark. If you move into contact with an enemy you are engaged and must stop. Moving away from an engaged enemy is fleeing and they will get a free hit at your back.

- Charge half your M (round up) to engage and make a single blow in combat.

- Make a ranged attack (if not engaged currently).

- Take up stuff from backpacks and belts etc to your hands and vice versa. You can however just drop stuff for free.

Combat stuff:

On the turn you are engaged you may not move or fight any more that round other than to flee, though you may ready weapons.

If you draw a weapon that modifies your initiative enough to alter turn order (see page 120) then please highlight this and let me know.

At the end of each round a current 'winner' must be determined and the loser takes a step back. The winner may then follow up to their space if desired, so if it looks like you may be winning let me know if you want to so I can sort the end of the turn map quicker.

Don't forget you can parry with suitable weapons and shields (see pg 118)! It will cost your next attack but may save your life. If you score a hit on an enemy who may parry then let them decide if they want to or not before rolling damage.

Otherwise basic roll to hit and damage combat procedure is on page 118.

I expect this first combat to be painfully slow while we work things through but hopefully once we're all on the same page it should go quicker in the future. For now let's just pile on in and see how it goes, eh? Ilumor to lead on. Remember that Godric is the only one currently armed.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Well, I don't go until after they go, so no use in me planning anything. Either way I guess I should make ready my shield since I already have my mace out.

• Options
    Ilumor recalls a song he knows involving a tavern brawl, where the hero fights off attacker after attack with nothing but his fists. Apparently believing he's not such a hero, the elf continues to draw his large wood axe from his back to ready it.

2 handed weapon drops his init by 10 to 53. Glad you're feeling better, Jam!

• Options
    Merrick too readies both wicked long-knife, and hand-axe for throwing. "Give them no quarter, comrades!" he pipes in a high-pitched voice.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    streetnightturn1.jpg

The footpads mob in on their prey in the alley. One holds back and jeers from a distance.

'There's no need for this to go this way. Just drop the goods and this night can all end much happier for all involved.'

One leaps from a side alley and is able to make a dashing charge at the slayer, his club coming slamming down with brutal force.

Charge! Trying to roll below WS 33 +10 for charging = 43

1d100 → [20] = (20)

The first roll is a hit! To the right arm apparently. For 1d6 → [4] = (4) wounds. Gavnog can't parry with his bare hands but does have the dodge blow skill so he might yet avoid this most inauspicious of starts. Roll beneath your Init to dodge.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Feeling somewhat sorry for the thug's inept attempt at clobbering someone, Gavnog sidesteps directly into the blow. The weapon connects with a resounding 'bonk'.
    Init test (28): 1d100 46

• Options
    I should probably look up how to hit people now.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Godric's first attempt at pacification meets with failure, a miss.

Roll to hit against Footpad: 1d100 68 WS 33

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    Gavnog attempts to punch himself in the face. He fails, even at this.

Attack roll (ws 44): 1d100 80 woops

• Options
    Hmm, one action per round seems kinda limited but anyway….

Kazrik, seeing that the Elf might potentially be considered to possibly be both in trouble and an ally, draws his (now seemingly woefully inadequate) dagger and makes ready to jump in at the next best opportunity.

(Kazrik is now at +10 Init [28] and -2 damage)

• Options
    "Stay behind me, friend Merrick," Ilumor offers to the halfling as the thugs approach.
    Felling a man should basically be the same as felling a tree, right? The elf seems to intend to find out, and swings his large axe at the one in front of him.

Rolled a 97. Apparently it's not!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Not one to leave a friend in need, Merrick charges the open thug.
    With a high-pitched yell, not of battle but of alarm he swinging his hand-ax wildly and nearly shearing off a part of the building next to him.
    "HELP! Watch! Town Guard! Anyone!"

WS+10 vs 31 = 68, miss!
    http://orokos.com/roll/67115

Snowdown on
  • Options
    WHFRP1, aka Welcome to the whiff zone. At work so no map update but the only change is Merrick charging forward.
    At the end of the round footpad C would be judged to be 'winning' and push Gavnog back. However he has nowhere to go at that point so it's all good.

Footpad A was charged and so can do nothing else.
    Footpad B 1d100 → [16] = (16) hits Ilumor for 1d6-1 → [3,-1] = (2) wounds. Though that's a body hit and so reduced to 1 by his leather clothing right?
    Footpad C 1d100 → [67] = (67) misses (even including his +10 bonus for winning).
    Footpad D 1d100 → [95] = (95) misses by a mile.

Much as the party fail to land any blows, their aggressors also fail to find much luck other than landing a bruising clout on Ilumor's ribs. Perhaps this bunch aren't quite the easy mark they were hoping for, but on the home territory they still fancy themselves in fight and these out of towners clearly have some good weapons on them to sell.

From his position of safety at the back the unengaged man continues his belittling.

'Fancy a fight do you lads? That's fine as well. We can always offer you a proper Nuln welcome in the harbour once we've stripped your bodies of valuables.'

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Where was that door again? If Merrick is between Kazrik and the enemy, that might be a way around them, never mind the bait….

• Options
    Square C6.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Don't worry, Kaz. Merrick will be backing up as soon as its his turn again. You can delay until then. I just wanted to rob him of his attack by charging.

• Options
    I'm assuming the weapon modifiers for initiative only count if you're engaged in combat so it'll be Godric's turn to miss.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ilumor's leather reduces the damage by 1, yeah, and his toughness soaks the other 1.

Icerimp on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Toughness was already taken into account in the -1 on the dice roll (Str +3, T -4).

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ohh, ok. Yep, crack to the ribs.

• Options
    Godric Up? Gavnog on Deck?

• Options
    Godric continues to occupy the footpad, but hasn't yet had the opportunity to take him out of the fight.

Next roll to hit against footpad d, I think?: 1d100 66

• Options
    The troll slayer swings, but his stumpy arms make him consider just getting his axe out.

attack rolllll: 1d100 97

• Options
    It may be time to retire from our life of adventuring.

• Options
    I've already made a backup character ;) Or...In the process that is.

• Options
    We are bad at this. But it is reminding me that I really want to play Dark Heresy.

• Options
    You must've missed the DH PBP that started just about the same time as this? sorry!

I think it's now Ilumor, then Merrick

• Options
    Kazrik first, then Ilumor.

• Options
    My bad, thought Kazrik was gonna delay since he's locked out of the fight =)

• Options
    I think you can only delay to the end of the current round, is that right? Or was he just going to pass?