Options

A bracing morning swim: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st Ed PbP

179111213

Posts

  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    Ilumor will, nonetheless, rush after him.

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    Well we're headed to the doctor's anyway...

    What roll would I need (to miserably fail) to jump on the guy?

    You know where he's headed and he's probably not looking up. I'm going to call it a very easy (4x stat) dex check. If you hit it'll be a softer landing and I'll share the fall damage between you though you're on zero wounds so it's still going to be risky. If you miss, it's going to hurt a lot.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    With a blood curdling howl Gavnog leaps head first off the roof. Looking up, the man barely has time to scream before the orange blur slams into him.

    Splat: 1d100 vs 80 39 I regret nothing.

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Gavnog barrels down on the fleeing figure and and dives smack bang straight into him from above like a stout dwarven missile. The thief is knocked flying off his feet and both he and the dwarf smack into the alley wall in flailing bundle of limbs. Gavnog manages to land on his dislocated wrist and howls in agony as he writhes on the floor. The thief is merely battered and bruised, but looking up from his prone position to see two wet angry apparitions bearing down on him, he throws his arms in the air in surrender.

    'I give! In Sigmar's name have mercy, I give!'


    You had some very luck rolls there Gavnog m'boy. Ending up with merely skinned knuckles on the critical table, but given you've already dislocated that wrist I improvised. Combined Cool/Toughness test (average the two stats to find your target) to remain conscious through the pain.

    You also gain an insanity point for, though you ended up lucky, it was still a roll on the critical table and that was a pretty damn risky gambit that could have easily gone so very much worse.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "Worth... it..." The slayer's words are only just audible before he passes out, a satisfied grimace still on his face.

    Cool/toughness: 1d100 vs 41 54

    Who wants to carry me?

  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    Slayers are sort of insane anyway, so it's ok.

  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick gapes in astonishment at the crazy dwarf's antics, and then when they succeed, bursts into a cheer with full on clapping. "Good on ya, Gavnog! That's the way to show'em!"

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    He looks left and right nervously. If nobody is approaching maybe he can still make his escape...

    Rounds are over. Get in and do stuff!

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Whoops. I didn't think Godric went.

    Ilumor definitely is approaching, dripping wet and looking to be in as foul a mood as he smells. He draws his sword, pointing the tip at the thief, glancing worriedly to the knocked out dwarf. "Don't move," he warns as he leans in to give Gavnog's shoulder a shake.

    Icerimp on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    How large is the gap between the roof and the cart? As opposed to the roof and the roof opposite? Also, what all's in said cart?

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Whoops. Sorry missed that reply somehow.

    The cart is filled with hay and can be used to make a safe descent without need for rolls.

    Gavnog is out cold but there are no physical signs of injury. Further up the street you can see a quartet of armed and armoured men round a corner and get pointed in your direction. The watch will be on the scene fairly soon.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick climbs back into the window, shutting and bolting it from the inside, his lesson learned. With that he also exits the room and locks the door from the outside before waddling down to open the door of the inn, waiting for his friends to return.

  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ilumor lifts a hand to wave to the watchmen, keeping his sword pointed at the thief. "This one climbed in through a window at the Reaver's Return and tried to rob my friends and I," he'll explain once they're close enough, very slowly putting away his sword. No sudden motions, and all. A thought occurs to him, and he checks his pockets. Was he hit, too?

    Icerimp on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Guardsmen hurry up and, brandishing their own weapons they demand you put yours away. The man clearly in charge of this little unit steps forward and addresses Ilumor.

    'Right then, what the hell has been going on here? Rooftop chases in the early morning? Swimming in the canal? You'd best have a good explanation for this or... Ah.'

    Ilumor starts to explain but it is clear the he guardsman has recognised the figure on the ground. As the conversation progresses everyone else in the party arrives from their various positions.

    'Bertoldo Vasari, I was wondering when we'd see you again you little rat. No escaping back your Tilean friends this time eh?'

    He turns back to Ilumor,

    'We've been after this slippery one for a little while so good work. In fact I think there's a small price on his head.'

    He rumages in his belt pouches, brings out a piece of official city headed notepaper and scribbles a note on it.

    'Bring this to the guardhouse at a more sensible hour of the day and you'll be able to collect anything due to you. In the meantime, Hanz! Turn out his pockets and give these good people their possessions back!'

    Turned out on to the street are three money purses. One is Kazrik's as everyone else's seem to still be in place (clearly the thief had not had much time to work before he woke the Slayer), the other two you have never seen before. Also a dagger, a ring of lock picking tools, a silk handkerchief and a scrap of paper with a fig leaf motif at the top.

    'Grab what's yours we'll be hauling this one off then.'

    He pokes Gavnog with his foot.

    'Is he alright? You should get Doc Heinrich up on Pigwise Lane to take a look at him. Here,'

    He scribbles another note.

    'Show him this and you'll get city guard discount rate for the consultation.'

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Mysterious fig leaf motif, eh? Ilumor can say it's his, he likes trees and such.

  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ilumor doesn't question that bit of good fortune, holding the note carefully, trying to keep it as dry as possible. In fact, this is probably the first good thing to happen to them since they've arrived. "Bertoldo Vasari?" he questions, dropping down to his knees to palm Kazrik's money pouch, leaving the other two. "What is he, Tilean?".

    He regards the rest of the scattered items, poking at the handkerchief, looking for any embroidery or anything that could signify who it belongs to, before lifting up the scrap of paper and and rising again. He hands Kazrik's pouch, along with the first note from the guard and the scrap of paper found on Vasari, back to him, before leaning in to haul Gavnog up.

    "Yeah. He's fine. He dove off of a roof to tackle our thief," the elf grunts from the dwarf's weight, figuring someone else will grab the slip for the doctor.

    Icerimp on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Descending rather gracelessly from the rooftop via the haywain amidst a cloud of hay dust and dwarfish curses, Kazrik wandered up to mismatched crowd as though nothing particularly exceptional had just happened and, nodding to the watchmen, moved to take both notes before looking at the remaining loot and exclaiming "looks like we're not the only people this one disturbed tonight.…"

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    No insignia on handkerchief. So you're just taking Kazrik's and leaving the other purses? How very honest of you.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    That's all Ilumor's doing, at least. And forcing Gavnog to have a close up smell of the canals on his clothes.

  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Too bad Merrick stayed back at the Inn, he totally would've claimed his "Primary and Backup" purses.

  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Godric pulls himself out of the muck and trudges over to the loot pile, giving Kazrik the evil eye. He grabs one of the purses (the heavier looking one, mind you) while grumbling about damages and new clothes and how much like a privy he smells at the moment.

    "Yes, one other person must have fallen victim to this horrible thief some time in the recent past. Or that last one might just be his own bit of coin." he says so that others can hear.

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ilumor doesn't comment on the extra purse taken, instead giving a final nod to the town watch and turning. "How about we get back and pick up Merrick, and then find that doctor?" he suggests, keeping a firm hold on Gavnog. "And maybe I can find somewhere to wash my clothes."

    Off to Doc Heinrich?

    Icerimp on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I mean come on, it's not like the watch can put a bag of money in the lost and found. Gonna split it for new clothes and such.

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    They're probably going to pocket the money themselves, anyway.

  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Doctors probably aren't cheap either.

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The guards shackle Bertoldo, gather up his belongings and lead him away.

    Left on the street you can take a closer look at the piece of paper. It is a list of dates each followed by a word. The entries for today and the next week bear the word 'Malindi.'

    It being far too early for any other activities you all return to the bar and reconvene with Merrick in the bar. After a while Grasser comes down and is surprised to see you up and about, but mutters to himself and starts to cook up some particularly tasteless and lumpy porridge for breakfast. He looks about to ask about the mud and water, but realises he doesn't really care and just shakes his head and tells you to avoid getting muck on his chairs and tables and that there is a clean water butt out the back. As he serves you he asks,

    'So are you staying long? You're, er, lucky I've just had a cancellation and can put you up for as long as you need. That is if you have the board money of course. Got enough to cover yourselves or are you looking for work?.


    I won't ask for a roll for bluffing the purse taking. The bonus for not being greedy and taking both will make it an auto success.

    Extra purse contains 4 crowns, 8 shillings and 7 pennies which have been added to the group stash in the OP.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tasteless or not, with all the running around Ilumor's been doing the past night and this morning, he rapidly puts the porridge down, only pausing long enough to talk to Grasser.

    "We can cover the room, yeah. Something without a window facing the canal would be better. Though, uh..." He looks to the others. "All the same, what do you suggest for work in the city here?"

    Icerimp on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick takes a bite of the porridge and tries not to spit it back out again, before pulling a few of the spices from his pouch and mixing them in. He does so for any of his companions that would like them as well.

    "Well, as to how long we're staying, I don't think we have any sort of a set date yet. The better a price you give us, the better chance of that stay being longer though, I'd bet. I also fancy myself a fair cook and singer to boot. I might just be able to increase your business around this place. Things do seem a bit slow. Them's small potatoes though. Things I can do early morning and late evening to get us a better price. See I aims to be rich and famous one day. That's the kind of work we need.", Merrick touts with a wink and a smile.

  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Is Gavnog still unconscious?

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    He comes around during breakfast.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    "Well aren't you just a little bizness man. Godric coos as he enjoys his freshly seasoned slop.

    "I don't doubt he could help with your custom though, Innkeep. This stuff is almost palatable. I could handle any unsavory types too."

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "Ah! Breakfast in bed. Tha's nice." Awakening to the bland porridge with a jerk, Gavnog gobbles half of it before noticing the throbbing pain coming from his arm. "Ey, what happened to my arm? I didn't sleep on it did I?" His eyes narrow further at his companion's mud spattered clothes.
    "And what have you and the elf been up to?"

  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    "Do you not remember? We were robbed last night… but then you landed on the thief and put paid to his machinations." abbreviated Kazrik quietly, not even bothering to mention the thugs in the alley, before continuing "we have a docket for a reward from the watch, for the capture, and a recommendation for a doctor to look at your wrist." Louder, so the innkeeper could hear, he agreed with Godric saying "aye, and we have Merrick to thank for the quality of this fine repast too."

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "I thought that were a strange dream. But a reward? 'Ey, we're on the up-and-up lads!" Gavnog goes to slap his dwarven comrade on the back, only to cringe in pain. "Though a visit t'the doctor first maybe..."

  • Options
    IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    Ilumor sighs a little, regarding the Slayer skeptically. "Easy on your arm there. That doctor will give us a discount also, we were told. We're just waiting until places start to open."

  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Grasser raises an eyebrow at Merrick's little monologue, but looks unmoved.

    Do what you want fer own entertainment if it don't cause trouble but I'll have no need of your services meself. If you're after work you should head to the labour market at the Reiks Platz.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Merrick nods his head, "Very well, Grasser but you've just passed up a deal that would've seen The Reaver's Return transformed into one of the finest, priciest inns in all of nuln."

  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Right, before we move out, I think Kazrik is gonna do his thing and cast a few bones; two questions: are we gonna be attacked again today and will we be satisfied with the day's outcome.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    #Secret Roll#

    You cast your eye over the runes, struggling to discern any patterns. You can possibly back interpret a warning about the poor breakfast, but otherwise it looks like a fairly dull day as far as the fates are concerned.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The morning is started with a trip to the recommended Doctor. You get the distinct feeling these people wouldn't give you the time of day without the note of introduction from the guard, but as it is you are welcomed, cleaned and stitched up and will be at full fighting strength within a day as long as you take it easy for the rest of today.

    Discount Charges:
    1G for basic consult (heal Toughness value in wounds)
    2G for surgeon's attention (heal 3x Toughness value in wounds)
    If no medical attention received, heal 1 wound.
    Make your choices and pay your monies.

    Next stop, the watch house. The Guard on the front desk has clearly been warned that you were coming and after scrutinising your bill hands over a moderate 10G reward. Not exactly riches but you aren't about to say no.

    Money added to group coffers.

    Each morning, people looking for work gather in the Reiks Platz, a large cobbled square in Nuln's centre. This seems to be your best lead on adventure so you head for the square to try your luck. When you arrive it is crowded with merchants seeking bodyguards, farmers and builders looking for labour and ship's captains after crew. All the work on offer seems rather dull an underpaid. Exactly the sort of work you tried to leave behind by becoming adventurers.

    In the middle of the square is a huge and ancient elm tree known as the Deutz Elm. Its trunk is as wide as a small hut and is used by the city's large itinerant population of adventurers and wanderers. You read some of the messages which cover the trunk. Most are from travellers attempting to find old friends and arrange meetings, but some are from people offering dangerous or unusual work:


    fee45529.jpg

    MhCw7nZ.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.