As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This thread is so bubbly and cloy and happy, just like [Star Trek]

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I've gotten to the point where any time I see "holodeck/suite malfunction" listed in the show description, I'm skipping it on Netflix.

"A Fist Full of Datas" and the hologram Moriarity episodes are excellent.

I like the DS9 one where its a parody of Bond films with Bashir as James Bond,

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Holodeck malfunctions are just a bit ridiculous as a premise of an episode, and plenty played out, but besides that they aren't all bad episodes.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    So let's make a compilation of the worst episodes of each series!

TOS: Spock's Brain (tied for second place: The Way to Eden & And the Children Shall Lead)
    TNG: The Outrageous Okana (second place: Shades of Grey)
    DS9: Profit and Lace (Quark crossdresses(with a bit of help from Bashir) as Ferengi female to advance womens rights on Ferenginar. The Climax is him flashing his artifical tits). Not kidding about the tits. Wish I was.
    VOY: Threshold (second place: Distant Origins)
    ENT: A Night in Sickbay (tied for second place: every other episode in the series)

Fixed that for you

Is the DS9 one worse than the episode where all the command crew get sucked into a game and have to have Quark, I think, play for them and not kill them? I think that one is worse, easily.

That episode was "Our man Bashir", it was a James Bond spoof and it was AWSOME.

Other opinions are faulty and should be ignored, lest their stupidity assimilate the thread.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    GaryO wrote: »
    I've gotten to the point where any time I see "holodeck/suite malfunction" listed in the show description, I'm skipping it on Netflix.

Isn't Garak in that? Been ages since I saw that episode.

Harry Dresden on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

TOS: Spock's Brain (tied for second place: The Way to Eden & And the Children Shall Lead)
    DS9: Profit and Lace (Quark crossdresses(with a bit of help from Bashir) as Ferengi female to advance womens rights on Ferenginar. The Climax is him flashing his artifical tits). Not kidding about the tits. Wish I was.
    ENT: A Night in Sickbay (tied for second place: every other episode in the series)

Fixed that for you

Is the DS9 one worse than the episode where all the command crew get sucked into a game and have to have Quark, I think, play for them and not kill them? I think that one is worse, easily.

Other opinions are faulty and should be ignored, lest their stupidity assimilate the thread.

No.
    It wasn't that one. You missed the part where it's a game, and someone is playing for them. And there is no holodeck. I'll be damned if I can find it now, even though I'm looking.

L Ron Howard on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Fixed that for you

So awesome that from what I recall, the license holders to James Bond threatened to sue if they ever did another episode like that. Otherwise we would have had more "Garak and Bashir do awesome things in the holodeck together" episodes.

Archonex on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular

Yes, he is. And he's brilliant in it.

sig.gif
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

Yes, he is. And he's brilliant in everything.

Fixed for accuracy.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The "Quark plays a game" episode is the Season One "Move Along Home".

• Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    Move Along Home was hilarious in its stupidity. Especially the scene where they all have to play hopscotch and sing some nonsense rhyme.

sig.gif
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    The "Quark plays a game" episode is the Season One "Move Along Home".

I kept waiting for the twist/punchline for that episode. But it never came.

It was played completely straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRBNyrL1lH8

In five years this happy-go-lucky commander will be having a jolly good time in a false flag operation involving murdering a foreign diplomat! 8->

• RichyRichy Registered User regular

In five years this happy-go-lucky commander will be having a jolly good time in a false flag operation involving murdering a foreign diplomat! 8->
    Can you blame him? Just watching this clip makes me feel like murdering a foreign diplomat.

sig.gif

Can you blame him? Just watching this clip makes me feel like murdering a foreign diplomat.

Hmm, maybe that's why Janeway is so crazy...

She had to play hopscotch once?

She had to play hopscotch once?

No, she just watched this clip. :P

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Janeway is insane cause she had to help make Voyager. That's enough to stain anyone's soul.

I like to imagine Robert Picado strolled onto the set late every day, whipped off his glasses and then was like "Yeah, I'm here now. Just another day of carrying you bitches."

Then Robert Beltran gives him a fistbump before hitting the bottle some more. Cause Beltran knew the score on that show.

PS - holy fuck, there's 3 Roberts in the main cast

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Fixed that for you

Hah! Oh yeah! The one that's like an "Are You Afraid of the Dark" episode.

Yeah, that episode is pretty weak but I cut it some slack since its in the first season and I think its the first gamma quadrant species to be shown on the show (I think).

• CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    I believe it was Garrett Wang who said basically that the writing on Voyager was poopybutt and he is only there for the money. He never got a shot at directing after that went public.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    One of my favourite parts of the Our Man Bashir episode, is pointed out in the SFDebris review. Specifically, how the implications of why Bashir enjoys the holodeck so much changes later on once you learn that he has been genetically enhanced. Rather that using the holodeck for wish fulfillment fantasies, where the holodeck is used to make you smarter, stronger, and more capable than you would normally be, Bashir uses the holodeck to allow himself be as smart, strong, fast and capable as he truly is in a setting where no one will suspect.

• CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    I was happy to see Bashir's character mature throughout the show. If he had stayed that immature little poon-hound throughout the entire show I think I would have hunted down the writers and murdered the one who created him... as a lesson to the others.

Cogliostro wrote: »
    I was happy to see Bashir's character mature throughout the show. If he had stayed that immature little poon-hound throughout the entire show I think I would have hunted down the writers and murdered the one who created him... as a lesson to the others.

Siddig did that deliberately. He didn't want the audience to like Bashir in the beginning.

Wait. They let Harry Kim direct an episode?!
    Was it Threshold?

Was it Threshold?

It's fairly common for actors playing lead characters to occasionally direct episodes on the tv show's they're on. Tom Welling did it for Smallville, Jonathan Frakes did it for all the Trek tv series starting with Next Generation (and Insurrection), Edward James Osmos did it for the new Battlestar Galactica etc.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Probably
    Was it Threshold?

It's fairly common for actors playing lead characters to occasionally direct episodes on the tv show's they're on. Tom Welling did it for Smallville, Jonathan Frakes did it for all the Trek tv series starting with Next Generation (and Insurrection), Edward James Osmos did it for the new Battlestar Galactica etc.

Also remember that they should in theory have a team of competent writers, staff and other directors, who they have been working with already for a long time, to help them bring their vision to life.

I doubt that happened in Voyager production though...

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've gotten the impression over the years that Star Trek is very happy to teach it's actors how to direct and give them the chance to do so and such.

That's like all Jonathan Frakes does now I think.

LeVar Burton also dabbles in Directing from time to time as well.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Was it Threshold?

Pretty sure Patrick Stewert directed a couple episodes as well. I found my Captain's Log DVDs and he talks about it during the interviews.

newSig.jpg
    DS9 did this stuff as well. Avery Brooks directed stuff like Far Beyond The Stars. However Alexander Siddig directed Profit and Lace.

I believe the only person not to sit in the directors chair after asking to was Garrett Wang.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Move Along Home was hilarious in its stupidity. Especially the scene where they all have to play hopscotch and sing some nonsense rhyme.
    At least Bashir thought it was lame too.

steam_sig.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Cogliostro wrote: »

Siddig did that deliberately. He didn't want the audience to like Bashir in the beginning.

I liked that, like when he called bajor "the middle of nowhere" or whatever to Kira's face

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    hey now if you want to apply logic they would have put a bomb with a fucking timer on it in the array at the start

The kazon don't have transporters, they wont get to the bomb in time

I've been watching Voyager again recently just for kicks and it really is amazing how bad it is and how I didn't really notice it at the time. I guess there was just a dearth of good scifi on back then.

But one of the moments which pretty much defines how stupid the whole series is happens in the first few episodes. Neelix is talking to what's-her-name and mentions how stupid it is for the captain to drag the crew face-first into every unknown event and almost always risking the whole ship in the process. I mean, the one person on the ship who has the common sense to not regularly get crewmen slaughtered over stupid things is the cook. That's pretty much the series in a nutshell.

And speaking of totally insane oversights, how about the race that can fold space and send an object 40k light years at a go (thus shaving 40 years off the voyage)? The Voyager crew goes crazy trying to bargain to gain possession of the tech, but it nevers occurs to anybody to just have that race send Voyager that distance without giving them the tech? It doesn't even seem hard; spend a couple years perfecting the tech, then take a couple hops back to the Federation and wish the aliens on their way as they fly off in the spaceship they own with all their tech safely aboard.

All I know is that when the captain and first officer get a disease and end up stranded on a planet, anybody suggesting going back for them would have gotten beaten with a wrench. Those assholes get crewmembers slaughtered so they can investigate Pink Cloud #500,038, then bitch that trading any Federation tech for resources will mess up the quadrant. If the top two officers cared half as much about their own crew as even the people that spend half their time trying to destroy/take Voyager, a lot more of the crew would've made it back in one piece.

It's even simpler than that: Have the aliens go through their portal thing 30,000 l-years closer to the alpha quadrant, build a small outpost with another projector (we saw the thing, it's fucking tiny), and repeat. 3 hops and they're dumped on earth.

I mean the aliens were completely open to helping them in any way that didn't involve giving them technology. Sure they have to leave Voyager behind but who cares? Self destruct it!

Edit: And I find it absurd to believe that nobody on the crew wanted to stay on that or another planet. That place was an earth level paradise, you wanted for absolutely nothing. You're telling me the disgruntled cosmologist who works below decks and wants nothing but to study and postulate would have no interest in ditching voyager (which he never wanted to be on) to live with people who are totally cool with you spending all your time postulating and theorizing? Not to mention people that apparently have a science of cosmology far in advance of the Federation

override367 on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    They could have done the jump and just programmed Voyager to cross to the Alpha Quadrant with a self destruct if its attacked or something.

We have predator drones that sort of do that now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    I actually thought Move Along Home was a brilliantly veiled homage to Dungeons & Dragons. There's a dungeon, lethal puzzles that make no sense, and characters who comment on the absurdity of it all pretty regularly.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    So I'm watching DS9 and I'm on The Siege of AR-557. That was some heavy stuff, with Quark doing an amazing job (per usual). And then I get to the next episode where Ducat is in charge of Not-Heaven's Gate. The whiplash there was just kind of weird. I mean, the episode worked, sure. It reintroduces Ducat, shows that he's actually serious about this, and that he's got people who buy it. But, man... AR-557 was just so amazing, that I kind of feel bad for the other episode.

A similar thing happens when In The Pale Moonlight is followed by His Way.

"I must wrestle with the implications of committing murder in order to win the war." -> "Let's get Odo laid and sing about it!"

At least Duet was followed up with another serious story to reduce the whiplash.

A similar thing happens when In The Pale Moonlight is followed by His Way.

"I must wrestle with the implications of committing murder in order to win the war." -> "Let's get Odo laid and sing about it!"

At least Duet was followed up with another serious story to reduce the whiplash.

Well, I actually thought about that, but the two before it, "Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night" or "Inquisition", were pretty hard core too. You've gotta break the chain of grim, serious episodes somewhere. :D And I wouldn't have minded a light hearted episode. It's just that, if you remove the technobabble and aliens, that could have been an especially bleak episode of M.A.S.H. or something. And then we jump back headfirst into the Prophets and Pah Wraiths' pissing contest.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Probably
    Was it Threshold?

Also remember that they should in theory have a team of competent writers, staff and other directors, who they have been working with already for a long time, to help them bring their vision to life.

Star Trek was basically a TV Directors school in its later years. The number of cast members that directed episodes was massive. I think they set up a system to help first time directors.

Jonathan Frakes has had the biggest success, but Rober Duncan McNeil(Tom Paris) was a executive producer/director on Chuck.

The fact that Harry Kim wasn't allowed to direct an episode is strange, considering they let anybody else give it a shot.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Probably
    Was it Threshold?

Star Trek was basically a TV Directors school in its later years. The number of cast members that directed episodes was massive. I think they set up a system to help first time directors.

Jonathan Frakes has had the biggest success, but Rober Duncan McNeil(Tom Paris) was a executive producer/director on Chuck.

The fact that Harry Kim wasn't allowed to direct an episode is strange, considering they let anybody else give it a shot.

From what I remember he was kind of a douche and he bad mouthed the show a couple times.

Lh96QHG.png
    Probably
    Was it Threshold?

From what I remember he was kind of a douche and he bad mouthed the show a couple times.

An argument could be made he just said the emperor had no clothes. :P