Options

So someone's trying to remake Chrono Trigger again

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Aerith does just as much melee damage as anyone. In fact, more if you don't weight her down with materia, because they give her weapon upgrades so readily.

you are forced to have barret at any point you fight flying enemies at first, then long range is in mythril mines. Which us the first time you can encounter flying enemies without him.

His limits suck though and you're better off just using yuffles. I don't really know anyone who missed her, since she pretty much mobs you the instant you touch some trees. at least in my experience.

The all people can get max stats thing didn't help.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm in the "there's no point" camp.

The interface was fine, the graphics wouldn't really benefit from an HD remake, the translation works.

Really remaking this to me would be like remaking Metal Slug in 3D (which they actually tried once as a spin off game). The original 2D version has its own charm, and unless you're going the route of 2D but better animation, I don't see that moving wholesale to 3D benefit it any. And like Metal Slug, instead of going HD, instead it went on to handhelds for the same reasons.

Possibly as an isometric 3D game I guess, but again, the only thing I could really see improving would be the animation / visual quality. They could do some really nice tricks to give the Epoch sequences a bit of visual whizz-bang, but does that really warrant a full scale remake for? People accept the 2D sprite look because the game's already attained what they needed it to in that style.

subedii on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    They could always upscale those overworld sprites. Dem sprites.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    If the hypothetically updated graphics in question looked like recent SNK/ArcSys fighters I'd be all for it.

However, the chances of that happening is the equivalent of someone being hit by a lightning bolt like 20 times. In a row. In the same spot.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Prettying up the existing art assets sounds like a better plan to me. I really have no interest in seeing Chrono Trigger remade in a 3d engine at this time. That's kind of like saying you'd like to see some people use Pixar's tech to remake Fantasia. I suppose it could be done well, but it's not Pixar doing the remake, just some people with the same tech, doing it on their own, without any approval or support from Disney. Not saying it couldn't be done, but, the number of challenges, sacrifices and changes involved in bring Chrono Trigger out of its beautiful sprite-based storybook world into a something that won't even play the same even if it's successful...

Just go through the assets, upscale them, remake them higher quality and redraw the result with identical proportions and colouring. Give the animations more frames, sure. Maybe throw in some lighting capabilities that simply weren't possibly at the time. And that's as far as we need to see it done.

Anything more, just make a whole damn new game of your own.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I sort of recall a short interview with Tetsuya Nomura a few years ago about the prospects of an FF7 remake, and his answer was more or less "Yes, it's a possibility, but doing it 'right' would require a lot of time and resources just for ONE game that was already made, and honestly, everyone would rather like to focus their energy on lots of new, different things."

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    nintendo redid a lot of stuff in oot, because at this point the graphics were really dated and a large portion of the 3ds audience had never played it since it came out in what, 1997?

• Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    nintendo redid a lot of stuff in oot, because at this point the graphics were really dated and a large portion of the 3ds audience had never played it since it came out in what, 1997?
    There's a huge difference between the sorts of assets needed to do OOT and FF7.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    The only real problem with FF7 is the out of combat character models; they're terrible. But honestly, its not worth remaking the game and risking fucking other things up over. Besides, they are really silly and help the game tone from getting too serious.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    FFVII is ugly enough that they could stand to remake that. FFVI and CT are pretty games that do not need remakes though.

This. FFVII is pretty ugly, yet it's still playable today and has a ton of charm. So basically I could go with or without a remake.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    I find FFVI just as ugly outside of combat as VII. Not going to lie. 7's backgrounds are way better, obviously, but I don't like 6's even by 16 bit standards. 7 is usually really zoomed out so you rarely notice just how bad the 3d characters look.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Realistically, the closest thing we'd get to a FF7 remake would be a 3DS or (maybe) Vita remake.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    Realistically, the closest thing we'd get to a FF7 remake would be a 3DS or (maybe) Vita remake.

It wouldn't deliver in the manner people would expect. Final Fantasy games, modern ones, are all renowned for being super detailed in their graphic presentations. Plus, SE shot themselves in the foot when they made that PS3 teaser using Final Fantasy 7. Now people expect that level of presentation for a remake.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    at this point they ought to be waiting for the next gen anyway

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    at this point they ought to be waiting for the next gen anyway

Well at least they have plenty of time to recreate the game assets then because they're gonna be waiting for a while.

Then again, some companies (like Ubisoft) were claiming to be working on next gen games already, back in 2009. Either they were full of shit, or were purposely vague and just meant conceptually working on them.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »

It wouldn't deliver in the manner people would expect. Final Fantasy games, modern ones, are all renowned for being super detailed in their graphic presentations. Plus, SE shot themselves in the foot when they made that PS3 teaser using Final Fantasy 7. Now people expect that level of presentation for a remake.

I chalk up that PS3 teaser as a really dumb moment where someone in charge thought fans would take that a cool bit of fanservice, without considering the implications of showing such a tech demo.

By the way, we already have a third Chrono game. It's called FF 13-2. It has both Trigger and Cross' time travel mechanics, not-Serge, and even a dragon-like creature that devours time.

• Options
    On the note of the actual thread subject, though, Chrono Trigger looks better than most PS1 RPGs. If there's any game that doesn't need to be touched, its CT. Its one of the best looking RPGs out there.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    On the note of the actual thread subject, though, Chrono Trigger looks better than most PS1 RPGs. If there's any game that doesn't need to be touched, its CT. Its one of the best looking RPGs out there.

Well, that's the thing that gets me about Minecraft - people go, "OH MAN NOSTALGIC GRAPHICS AWESOME," but meanwhile, I see the REALLY messy start of 3D graphics. They were really ugly and there is nothing admirable about them beyond the start of new tech being more accessible. Meanwhile, 2D / sprite art doesn't necessarily age, because it's actually pretty stylistic even to this day. So of course Chrono Trigger has aged well on the presentation level.

Though ironically, the Playstation port of the game ran like total shit.

• Options
    2d games don't necessarily look dated, no, but there are plenty of 2d games with really bad graphics. Chrono Trigger also looks particularly good for a 16bit RPG. As in, I can't think of one that looks better. It looks like what I think FF6 was trying to do, with more expressive sprites and detailed backgrounds. As opposed to the "upscaled 8 bit" look of 4 and 5.

If you just want plain old ugly, though, take a look at Lufia. Hideous.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    2d games don't necessarily look dated, no, but there are plenty of 2d games with really bad graphics. Chrono Trigger also looks particularly good for a 16bit RPG. As in, I can't think of one that looks better.

Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean.

• Options
    I think that's heading into opinion territory! I will agree that CT is definitely one of the best looking SNES era games. I'm just not prepared to declare it the best.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I sort of recall a short interview with Tetsuya Nomura a few years ago about the prospects of an FF7 remake, and his answer was more or less "Yes, it's a possibility, but doing it 'right' would require a lot of time and resources just for ONE game that was already made, and honestly, everyone would rather like to focus their energy on lots of new, different things."

Yeah, I have to believe they of all people understand the gravity of trying to redo FF7. At this point it's probably just their "in case of fiscal insolvency, break open glass" plan.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Yeah, I have to believe they of all people understand the gravity of trying to redo FF7. At this point it's probably just their "in case of fiscal insolvency, break open glass" plan.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is the new Final Fantasy.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I figure who gives a shit if CT needs a remake or not. If it's what these guys want to do, more power to em.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    I like how they bothered to put the Registered Trademark symbol on the CT logo.

• Options
    slash000 wrote: »
    I like how they bothered to put the Registered Trademark symbol on the CT logo.