As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Central plays SC2, he should have known this. Shame on you central :P

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Sorry about all the lag I've been getting lately. I can't help you guys at all. :<

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    How do you create control groups?

Select the units you want to group, press control+1-9, whatever number you want to assign to that group. Then you can reselect them by hitting that number. It's the same as in virtually any RTS, if you play the genre.

Thanks. It’s probably just as well that I try some other heroes, though. I seem to get vastly out leveled when I play as NP.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Twice now I've gotten stuck with Chen in single draft. First time was a horrible experience, this 2nd time wasn't so bad, hell I'm even starting to get decent with him, but I feel like to play him well, you have to do 3 times the work of everyone else on the map.

OTOH, Dazzle is quickly becoming my go to, need to pull out a win champ. Great attack animation, solid support, and I could listen to his/her/its "zzzaaaaaap" soundbyte all day.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Jungling in this game in general seems to require you to do three times as much as anyone else on the map...it's not just Chen.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I haven't done enough jungling to really know either way. All I know is it's fun as hell to pull heavy hitting jungle creeps into lane with me when I'm doing support babysitting. It's just you have to manage yourself, your creeps, your own abilities, your creeps' abilities, and any active items you might have. Shit gets intense.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Jungling requires more work because neutral creeps are harder to kill than lane creeps and also average less experience and gold. It's only viable when a hero can at least keep up with a side lane while still being able to contribute something more than running back to the fountain.

An old jungling trick for early game is to spend all your gold and just let the neutrals kill you. It's cheaper than buying more consumables, the enemy team gets nothing, and you were going back to the fountain anyway.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Been playing a lot of sand king.

Went 9/0/12 my last game with him.

He's either OP or I am really good with him

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Been playing a lot of sand king.

Went 9/0/12 my last game with him.

He's either OP or I am really good with him

Well, he's got a single target AOE blink stun and an AOE damage aura that makes him invisible while he channels it. That shit eats pubs alive.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Here is that DOTA 2 icon swapout script for playdota: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/121981

This is going to be so helpful for me. I've spent way too long there staring at icons trying to puzzle out what they are.
    Badwrong wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    You ignored all of them and focused on a few words

You did this first, which was when I said I'm done taking your argument serious. If you just stated your ideas and left it at that, then no one would be feeling salty. Instead you have been saying "this is how it should be, everyone else is wrong".

Ahh, I see you must be talking about this part. I thought later posts adequately covered what you brought up here but I can address directly as well.
    Badwrong wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    So, if encouraging communication is so important, why are runes the only map element missing from the minimap? Wouldn't removing more things make the game more teamwork-oriented? Or perhaps you just special crafted this explanation to fit to how the game already works. What are the chances that you'd be clamoring to remove the icon if it were present from the very start? Zero.
    If rune markers were already there, I probably wouldn't think of the extra strategy it adds to the game since they aren't there. But the thing is, they aren't there and it does cause someone to realize its just more depth to what you can do to have an advantage over the other team. You know people put wards at the rune spots anyway...

My point is that if you have no consistent criteria for determining what should or should not be withheld from the minimap to encourage communication. Should the minimap be left completely bare? It seems to follow if you really buy into the whole "encouraging communication" angle. The only reason you seem have have come up with is that it's already that way. That is not a satisfactory answer to me: just status quo bias. You also say that it allows actions that give you an advantage over the other team. Sure, but that doesn't make it a good change. A button could pop up in the corner every minute that slowed your hero down until you clicked on it. Gives an advantage to people that click on it, but it's a worthless feature.

Not sure what your point about the wards is. You just kind of throw that fact out there like it was something I had not considered.
    Another advantage of not having it marked on the minimap is to use it as bait. If a team isn't working as a team, then other people will go to check it and a good setup will lead to an easy kill when a solo player goes to check it. Again, more reason why its all about team work.

Wait a minute. Have you been under the impression this whole time that my suggestion was to show the icon even when you team has no vision on it? Or are you assuming that without a minimap icon a player would just walk to a rune spot your team already has vision of without even seeing if the rune was there first?
    You're making a huge deal out of such a tiny thing... chances are they might add the icon anyway. I'm just pointing out how its really not an issue if you play the game as a team.

The initial suggestion was quite simple. The "huge deal" stems from people claiming that the idea was bad. It's not like I've been posting over and over about the issue with nobody saying anything in between.

And yes it's possible to compensate for inadequate game UI with team communication. However the real point is that forcing teams to communicate mundane information is not necessarily a good thing. It is just an overhead on teams that do communicate. DOTA already encourages teamwork and quick communication heavily; and it would continue to do so with a rune icon. It would be fine in the same way we tolerate not requiring teammates to tell us about tower destructions. Taking away towers from the minimap and the tower destruction message would encourage more communication, but it would be a kind of stupid way to do it since there are ways to encourage communication that do not rely on crippling the UI.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    I've changed my health bar segments back to 200.

Justification: average level 4 nuke damage is ~300. With magic resists most nukes do ~225 damage. Not only is the 200 easier to manage later in the game, but earlier on any time I see 1 bar I know that's 1 nuke to kill.

stream
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »

Justification: average level 4 nuke damage is ~300. With magic resists most nukes do ~225 damage. Not only is the 200 easier to manage later in the game, but earlier on any time I see 1 bar I know that's 1 nuke to kill.

where do you change this?

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    yeah i almost immediately made mine 200. i don't think i thought it out so logically like you did, but 250 just felt like an awkward segment to me. 200 felt right.

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

in the console, type

dota_health_per_vertical_marker 200

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    I almost want it to be one giant marker, like ye goode olde days

dota_health_per_vertical_marker 9000

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    The best part about the matchmaker putting me with awful players perpetually is how I get to play half as much DotA since bad players take 60 minutes to kick in the first tower.

• Options
    Iceshot22Iceshot22 Terre Haute, InRegistered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    I think what you want with shadow fiend is shadowblade instead of blink if you want to get your ult off. But besides that, the trick to him seems to be learning how to use shadowraze effectively to out farm everyone.

Never have I read a truer statement. Blink is a waste of stats on carries like ursa and SF. I'm sick of people buying it because it's "recommended" GET A MIND OF YOUR OWN PEOPLE! But in all seriousness, I whole heartily agree.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend code-2578-3543-8236 | Xbox GT- IceShot22
  • Options
    Yeah, don't but a blink on Ursa. Instead get kited all day long.

Come to think of it, why get a bkb when you can get more damage?

stream
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Played with a duo playing Ursa and Venge the other day, shit was crazy. Think the ursa ended up with 30 kills or something.

No blink, but obviously they didn't really need it with that particular combo.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    FIVE BAR VIPER

AND WHAT

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Bitches don't know about my full leshrac bar and my almost-full zeus bar

I am king of lightning, clearly

I should complete the set with razor

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    To make the full set you clearly need Storm too

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Iceshot22 wrote: »
    I think what you want with shadow fiend is shadowblade instead of blink if you want to get your ult off. But besides that, the trick to him seems to be learning how to use shadowraze effectively to out farm everyone.

Never have I read a truer statement. Blink is a waste of stats on carries like ursa and SF. I'm sick of people buying it because it's "recommended" GET A MIND OF YOUR OWN PEOPLE! But in all seriousness, I whole heartily agree.

Blink is core on Ursa. There isa reason every pro Ursa played in a tourney gets it. He is kited ad infinitum otherwise.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Blink is core on Ursa. There isa reason every pro Ursa played in a tourney gets it. He is kited ad infinitum otherwise.

Butbut but nobody kites in pubs so ursa has no need to blink

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Butbut but nobody kites in pubs so ursa has no need to blink

Never rely on your enemies' stupidity to win a game for you :P

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Sparvy wrote: »

Fuck storm

That guy sucks

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Senshi wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »

Fuck storm

That guy sucks

nope.avi

need to actually try to play him now that i semi-understand the game (five baarrrrrrrrrrrrrs)

edit: actually looking up videos and stuff he may not be as fun as i remember T.T

Biosys on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Storm is amazing. And Senshi also needs Razor to truly complete the set.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    think I might go some razor games once I get zeus maxed

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I had an awesome game as razor last night in a clan match.
    Well until towards the end when we lost.
    Draft was fucked we had both NS and Rhasta, and Rhasta was played just by some guy's roomie which didn't work out well.
    I was 15-7-20 out of 40 kills or something though even after a string of deaths later. Probably should've gone bkb and not heart though after rad.

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Do you guys play AP, SD, Or Captain's Mode? I usually go AP because even though SD gives you one of each stat you can still get fucked over with your team picks. At least with AP I have a bigger pool to choose from after I see my group makeup, never played CM though.

Also I just realized there isn't an Easy Mode, which is what I played in dota all the time. So I'm a little happier about not being any good in most of my games.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    I play a little of all three. When I'm tryharding with a select group of friends, we captain's mode. AP and SD are my go-to not-five shits and giggles modes

I random a lot, though

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    ap for that random gold

sd as well because I don't care

fuck cm though, ban/pick takes way too long and just means every game is a tryhard comp

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    CM is never good in pubs. Never ever.
    No one to make sure the person drafting has a clue or coherent strategy.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

in the console, type

dota_health_per_vertical_marker 200

thanks!

i want 5 bars! my best is 3+ :(

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Mostly AP here. Everyone once in a great while I'll do SD, but I'm mostly staying away from it until swapping is put in. CM mode only if I'm with a full group, basically.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What the crap is with matchmaking in the last week or so? I regularly play games against premades where players have an average of 50-100 wins apiece with my entire team under twenty games played (except for me) total. It's not as if they're not clearly quite new to the genre, too. It's super frustrating.

Croaker on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I haven't had much luck either. Today I laned with a guy who went boots first on Axe and spammed lvl 1 battle hunger on creeps while he autoattacked them. Eventually he evolved to spamming lvl 1 BH on anti-mage, not even while he's running from a fight or anything, just as a way to harass him while he was last hitting the shit out of everything.

Hoz on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Playing Alchemist, 2-2 with him so far. First 2 games I did pretty good staying positive K:D and racking up mad assists. I don't like blaming people for losing but man some people just like flying solo. Had a Naix farming 40 minutes into the game while they pushed our towers, another game was a Pugna that refused to lane with the team (and by refuse I mean if we went bot to help him he would tp to top) nor did he help in team fights. He insisted that if he didn't push top or bottom alone they would push our base and win. Of course when they would gank him he would say "SEE THEY ONLY PUSH WHEN THEY KILL ME" well no shit sherlock you just made it 4v5. And now I just laned with a Riki who hid in the trees till he was level 6 and then ran around the map invisible trying to steal kills or something. Didn't even pop smoke to help out his allies.

I don't let myself get worked up over it though, I'm still learning myself so even if our team gets rolled I still got some practice in with last hits and denies in my mind. Just had to vent a little. For every bm player I've had there has been more players who are decent people so I can't complain about that.

• Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, well. I just had a Dragon Knight build a Helm of the Dominator. And a Satanic.

Separately.

QOjlh.jpg

Croaker on