As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Hot damn, Juggernaut's ultimate jumps an outright ridiculous number of times with a scepter. Although it sucks to have the enemy you're using it on run into the fountain, survive and then not make it away yourself before dying.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Which reminds me again that dota 2 needs those aghs cosmetics!

Aghs Jug is purely for trolling, but in dota 1 it's extra fun because whenever a hero gets an aghs sceptre their model gets a cosmetic buff. And for Jug that means his regular sword turns into a kickass flaming sword of destruction.

The other fun thing is that when some melee heroes get a battlefury it actually changes their attack animation, instead of just adding those little lines to their attacks. Like when Doom gets a battlefury he stops swinging his sword and just does this aoe ground stomp instead. And when Tide gets a battlefury he does the anchor smash spin (which was fun back then because anchor smash used to be a passive with a chance to proc an aoe).

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    they're planning on some other cool stuff like that right? isn't there a file someone found that is like, anti mage dual wielding manta-style axes? that'd own

19ZUtIw.png
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    yeah, but those files seem like cosmetic things? Idk i just want more stiff like tiny w/aghs pronto

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    Since they haven't even updated the aghs tooltips I guess aghs cosmetics are going to take a while.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    test client is up, no new hero this week

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=35066
    GAMEPLAY
    - Enabled Phantom Lancer in Captain's Mode.
    - Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
    - Alchemist: Fixed Unstable Concoction self explosion still stunning you if you are invulnerable.
    - Alchemist: Fixed night vision being too small.
    - Alchemist: Fixed Unstable Concoction damage being too small.
    - Bane: Fixed being unable to nightmare non-hero units.
    - Batrider: Fixed Flamebreak to not trigger Sphere.
    - Beastmaster: Fixed Aghanim's Primal Roar cast range being 50 too short.
    - Beastmaster: Fixed base damage being slightly too low.
    - Brewmaster: Fixed attack range being 138 instead of 128.
    - Brewmaster: Fixed critical strike working against wards.
    - Brewmaster: Fixed base HP regeneration (0.25->0.75).
    - Brewmaster: Fixed Primal Split's Wind element being unable to Dispel Sandstorm.
    - Clockwerk: Fixed Power Cogs bounty being too small.
    - Clockwerk: Fixed Power Cogs knockback speed and distance being too small.
    - Clockwerk: Fixed Rocket Flare reveal aoe.
    - Clockwerk: Fixed Power Cogs having very small night vision.
    - Crystal Maiden: Fixed Crystal Nova vision.
    - Dark Seer: Fixed Vacuum tree aoe destruction being too big.
    - Dragon Knight: Fixed very minor inaccuracy on Dragon Form attack range.
    - Enigma: Fixed Eidolon split attack count incrementing on allied unit attacks.
    - Invoker: Fixed Chaos Meteor burn damage being a little too low.
    - Juggernaut: Fixed Omnislash selection aoe being slightly too big.
    - Lifestealer: Fixed Feast working against wards.
    - Lone Druid: Fixed base HP regeneration (0.25->0.5).
    - Lone Druid: Fixed Spirit Bear getting trapped in Power Cogs and Sprout.
    - Lone Druid: Fixed Entangling Roots working on wards.
    - Lycan: Fixed Shapeshift speed boost disappearing from other units upon Lycan.
    - Lycan: Fixed other controlled units not getting movement buff if created after Shapeshift was cast.
    - Lycan: Fixed Shapeshift not healing for the amount of bonus HP he gains.
    - Morphling: Fixed being able to heal under Ice Blast.
    - Nevermore: Fixed Requiem of Souls travel distance being too small.
    - Outworld Destroyer: Fixed arcane orb doing bonus damage to Warlock illusions.
    - Puck: Fixed attack range.
    - Puck: Fixed channel time on level 4 Phase Shift.
    - Pugna: Fixed Life Drain range not improving with Aghanim's Scepter.
    - Riki: Fixed Blink Strike not guaranteeing a backstab proc.
    - Shadow Fiend: Fixed base HP regeneration (0.25->0.5).
    - Slardar: Fixed Crush duration on creeps.
    - Spiritbreaker: Fixed base HP regeneration (0.25->0.75).
    - Spiritbreaker: Fixed base Intelligence.
    - Warlock: Fixed Golem's Flaming Fists doing half damage in a bigger aoe.
    - Fixed Force Staff cast range (600->800).
    - Fixed Bloodstone charge loss from 30 to 33%.
    - Fixed Shiva's Guard blast radius.
    - Fixed Manta invulernability duration (0.23->0.1).
    - Fixed Tranquil Boots broken movement speed being too low.
    - Fixed Shiva's Guard not granting unobstructed vision during the cast phase.
    - Fixed Satyr Hellcaller's Shockwave doing less damage than intended.
    - Fixed Neutral Ursa Warrior Thunder Clap doing 20% slow instead of 25%.
    - Fixed Ghost's frost attack missing 15 bonus damage.
    - Fixed minor inaccuracy on dire range upgraded creeps bounty.
    - Fixed Ogre Mauler having 3 extra armor.
    - Fixed Spirit Bear bounty being too low.
    - Fixed Greater Boar unit level.
    - Fixed Healing Ward vision radius.
    - Fixed Lycan Wolves giving too much XP.
    - Fixed Freezing Field ground slow aoe being slightly off.
    - Fixed Heaven's Halberd's disarm not being dispellable.

UI
    - The Random button is now hidden whenver the player wouldn't get gold for randoming (RD & SD modes).
    - If no stats will be recorded for a match due to someone leaving too early the abandonment message will now reflects this.
    - Added an option for simplified controls, where right clicking always moves, and left clicking performs all actions.
    - Fixed hero-type units (like Brewmaster's splits) being able to purchase items directly into the Stash from the Secret Shop.
    - Added free camera control for Spectators and Replays (dota_free_camera in the console).
    - All events involving player-controlled units now show up in the combat log.
    - Added new Director event for when Roshan spawns.

VISUALS
    - Fixed smoke of deceipt not making some heroes invisible (it was visual only).
    - Added healing overhead messages to Dazzle and Omni

BOTS
    - Fixed bug that would cause bots to clump at the center of map rather than roaming to gank a target.
    - Fixed bug that would cause bots to run out of the fountain prematurely sometimes rather than healing up.
    - Bots should now only buy TP scrolls when at the home base or side shops, and will want to buy a TP scroll if they don't have one in their inventory.
    - Bots will now only buyback after the laning phase is done.
    - Vengeful Spirit bot will now use Nether Swap to interrupt channels.
    - Bots will now forget whether a hero is an illusions or not when they lose sight of it.
    - Bots will now properly disable themselves for team-balance even if the opposing player disconnects before hero selection.
    - Made bots doing something else more responsive to Push ping requests.
    - Made bots more wary about trying to farm lanes with enemies potentially nearby.
    - Made Razor a carry for now to help him get selected more.
    - On Easy, bots will no longer use Force Staff, Orchid, or Phase Boots.
    - On Easy, bots will no longer preferentially attack real heroes rather than illusions
    - Reworked how Roshan desire is computed, it's now done on a per-team basis rather than per-hero.
    - Fixed bug where bots wouldn't buy back once they'd run out of items to buy.
    - Fixed bug where Earthshaker bot's desire to Enchant Totem would somtimes override his desire to Echo Slam.
    - Fixed bug that would cause Tidehunter bot to occassionally use Ravage on just creeps.
    - Bots that are healing in the fountain will no longer run out to meet their courier.

steam_sig.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Oh, they redid beastmaster

C99AE491475B73714E15BDDAD534AA085228AEEB

steam_sig.png
    bummer about no new hero

to commemorate i might play some bm

haven't played him in a while and he owns

• DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    He looks much better, less like a hotdog.

Drool on
    basically i just want to have 100% rune control and destroy mid and get necro 3 in like 10 minutes and just pooooop axes all over and snipe kills and roar couriers

• DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    Beast is pretty fun. I just wish it wasn't so hard to get mid in a pub match.

the angry dual mid lane in pubs is fun, if somewhat self destructive for a bit

• redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Which reminds me again that dota 2 needs those aghs cosmetics!

Aghs Jug is purely for trolling, but in dota 1 it's extra fun because whenever a hero gets an aghs sceptre their model gets a cosmetic buff. And for Jug that means his regular sword turns into a kickass flaming sword of destruction.

The other fun thing is that when some melee heroes get a battlefury it actually changes their attack animation, instead of just adding those little lines to their attacks. Like when Doom gets a battlefury he stops swinging his sword and just does this aoe ground stomp instead. And when Tide gets a battlefury he does the anchor smash spin (which was fun back then because anchor smash used to be a passive with a chance to proc an aoe).

If you get this excited over fire particles being attached to the Jug's sword in WC3 your brain is gonna melt when they add 5 billion cosmetic micro-transactions.

But they're not microtransactions in wc3! They're just a cool bonus you get for buying an item.

Now, I can totally see them selling different aghs cosmetics, even though many heroes don't have aghs upgrades and are probably never going to get them. The battlefury thing was just a neat bonus from the wc3 engine. I doubt it will carry over and nobody gets battlefury on those heroes anyway.

stream
    But they're not microtransactions in wc3! They're just a cool bonus you get for buying an item.

Now, I can totally see them selling different aghs cosmetics, even though many heroes don't have aghs upgrades and are probably never going to get them. The battlefury thing was just a neat bonus from the wc3 engine. I doubt it will carry over and nobody gets battlefury on those heroes anyway.

see, i think i want what page is describing, but i wont be peeved at all if have a shit ton of cosmetics for cash is how they monetize the game

sell agh's effects, i don't care, gimme the dotes

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So, for some reason as they were messing with the Community stuff today, I was kicked out of my game 3 times.....and I was the carry. It wasn't the main reason we lost that game, but it did contribute. The main thing was they had 3 carries to my 1 and I could at best kill 2 of them. =\

camo_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Axe's sound effects are not as appealing to me in this game as they were in the original TFT DotA.

his decap screen shake and animation is crunk though

The one caveat I'd put on something like aghs cosmetics is that for many heroes aghs is a really bad item. Does Valve really want pubs to be buying terrible items just so they can show off their pimped out cosmetics? And the reverse applies: are people going to get a spiffy cosmetic for an item that they would never actually buy?

stream
    i don't think that'll apply outside of pretty low skill games, where people are low skill enough that it won't matter dudes rushing random items that might be bad situationally because everyone is flailing around anyways

at least, i hope

plus i feel that itll be more akin to just constant shit

like you could have anti mage constantly wielding manta axes, even if he doesn't have the item?

fuck if i know, i'm pretty sure valve will know what they are doing

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The one caveat I'd put on something like aghs cosmetics is that for many heroes aghs is a really bad item. Does Valve really want pubs to be buying terrible items just so they can show off their pimped out cosmetics?

This problem never came up in original DotA - I don't see why it would now.

• redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    He just explained how it did come up.

The best answer is hopefully they will eventually find good designs for what Aghs does on every hero. The best designs are things that change the hero, but are not compulsory. Nightstalker is a nice example.

Because now you're paying money to show off the aghs effect.

And it still happens a bit in wc3 dota. People get aghs on Jug a fair bit just because it looks cool. At the same time I still see Linas and Lions getting aghs (why is it on their recommended item list) in dota and dota 2 even though it's like the worst item every for both of them.

And even in low skilled games it should matter. The point of a low skill game is to learn how to play properly, not to encourage people to play like idiots. We got enough of that in easy mode games.

stream
    Valve is risking sarcasm overload with these patches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m04cuu-bfQw&feature=player_embedded#!

stream
    gosh i need to work on my last hitting again

barely dong 4 creep a minute with weaver when i basically had free farm ugh

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    New Beastmaster looks totally dope.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    now that pl is in, all i need is kotl and all my favorite heroes will be playable, yaaaaaaaayyyyy

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    now that pl is in, all i need is kotl and all my favorite heroes will be playable, yaaaaaaaayyyyy

and then you can do kotl + pl

nasty

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I keep seeing pro teams pick Bane. Like, Na'Vi did it, someone I can't remember did it yesterday, DTS has done it just now...

I thought he was just a pub ganker who was crap?

3clipse wrote: »
    I keep seeing pro teams pick Bane. Like, Na'Vi did it, someone I can't remember did it yesterday, DTS has done it just now...

I thought he was just a pub ganker who was crap?

nah

grip is uber strong and nightmare is actually stupid good cc when you have teammates not popping it off and shit

i think its more often like how dts is doing it today as a support and not the mid pub stomper that he usually is

different roles, but bane has some great midgame cc

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Valve is risking sarcasm overload with these patches.

:video:

That video is amazing. I'm glad that they don't move every hero every patch, cause then they can re-balance and catch more bugs that way.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Wow, terrible matches for me last night. Turns out I suck balls at Anti Mage, had no idea his lane phase was so difficult. And if you're not farming him early...you. are. boned.

Now a question, what the hell do you do against Phantom Lancer, once he gets going...there seems like no good way to stop his ridonks clones from shitting all over your team. Gem I guess? But that doesn't solve the issue of his clone spam near as I can tell.

If you can be watching Na'Vi vs. DTS and you're not, you SHOULD BE.

http://www.joindota.com/en/live/tobiwan

Going on 62 minutes, Na'Vi has been double raxed for like 15 minutes but they're winning teamfights, getting epic.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Wow, terrible matches for me last night. Turns out I suck balls at Anti Mage, had no idea his lane phase was so difficult. And if you're not farming him early...you. are. boned.

Now a question, what the hell do you do against Phantom Lancer, once he gets going...there seems like no good way to stop his ridonks clones from shitting all over your team. Gem I guess? But that doesn't solve the issue of his clone spam near as I can tell.

Clones take 300% damage, so any kind of cleave or AOE is really big against PL. Also yeah, vision counters PL pretty hard.

Going on 62 minutes, Na'Vi has been double raxed for like 15 minutes but they're winning teamfights, getting epic.

lol dendi gets a clutch rapier but creeps still throne them

lol dendi gets a clutch rapier but creeps still throne them

That was super depressing to watch. They took that last fight so easily, absolutely murdered DTS, and then just got throned.

Still an epic game. Everyone should watch the VoD if they get a chance, some great Morphling play.

yeah morph really cleaned up for the longest time

• amoomooamoomoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    And some very bad Morphling play as well.

amoomoo on
    amoomoo wrote: »
    And some very bad Morphling play as well.

Yeah it was weird, he would have some brilliant move and then get gangbanged with no buyback money.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    A person I knew was terribly good at the game, so for the sake of being challenged in pub games would random heroes and take requests from us for silly builds.
    Stuff like juggernaut without blade fury, or all-stats Syllabear (i.e. no spirit bear). Usually boots as first item, regardless of hero, too.

There's gotta be an "ultimate bravery" type thing for DOTA (some random generator generates your build, picks your character, maybe suggests some ridiculous conditions for you).

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."