As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    there is

divine courage

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Uuuuugh.

Just went 1-11 as Huskar. I was put as lone bot lane against Windrunner and Earthshaker and got locked down super early, and once teamfights started I would keep getting instantly murdered by their Dark Seer/Leshrac combo. I don't really know why, but for me Huskar is one of the most infuriating heroes to get owned as. No game is better than Dota2 at making me feel like a worthless human being.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Huskar is tough, he strikes me as one of those champs that needs an early kill or two. Or else you end up like a bad Spirit Breaker game where every time you engage in a teamfight, you instantly get lit up.

Tried Puck out the other night, kind of unimpressed. He's got a great kit for getting out of trouble, but he doesn't seem to do a whole lot of damage. (Which is reasonable considering his abilities I guess.) Is it his job to mainly disrupt? Or can he actually carry?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    He can "carry" in the same way any really good initiator can: by setting up and winning every team fight and gank and then getting tons of levels and items. He also has very reasonable burst damage (better than most heroes without their ults and much easier to land) to go along with his extreme mobility, which means that he can just go in and out of fights and keep doing damage.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Well, we'd heard that it would be announced soon. And now it has. The International 2 is go.

So far only Na'Vi and DK have been invited. Valve is having stricter rules about rosters this time, saying that teams must keep the same lineup in order to get an invite. And with the way Chinese dota is still all over the place it'll be a rush to get them set in stone so they can make the cut.

Also, it'll be in Seattle this time. Starts at the end of August.

Tobi Wan said that Valve told him they wanted almost every hero out by the time of The International 2 (something like less than a dozen incomplete according to their timetable). So they'd better get to work.

The invitations are pretty cool, too.

0Gmb3.jpg

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    dk being in (i'm assuming the dota 1 team) is sick

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    I bet that guy in the middle plays Tiny.

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    the other day i lost to this juggernaut who rushed refresher orb

i don't want to talk about it

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    to be honest i am more proud of him than anything...

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    nealcm wrote: »

just walk in 1v5

everyone else dies

boom

shakalaka

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    If I'm correct Valve wants around only 10 or so heroes left to add after the International (most probably the one that'll remain will be the heroes not in the -cm pool + Techies + a few they couldn't complete in time), so they'll have to add them a bit faster than they do now.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

Still less shameful than losing to Sniper. (does jugg even have the mana to sustain a refresher and two omnislshes)

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Sometimes I'd like to try a juggernaut build that just focuses completely on his ulty. Try to find that sweetspot for aghanims, attack speed, damage and armor reduction. Then pick a fight outside the Roshan pit and make an episode of "Will it blend?"

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Still less shameful than losing to Sniper. (does jugg even have the mana to sustain a refresher and two omnislshes)

If Juggs is at level 16, has taken 2 levels of stats, switches his treads to INT, and buys an aghanim's scepter, he will have just short of 1000 mana.
    Two level 3 omnislashes and the use of the refresher orb costs 1075 mana.

Hmmm it says in the hero details for wc3 dota that jugg can use items during omnislash. Does doing so cancel the omnislash?

If you somehow had the mana for it, could jugg omnislash, dagon while slashing, refresh while slashing, and dagon again? It doesn't matter how stupid of an item set that is; it's about being able to shoot lightning at people while teleporting around.
    Might as well through maelstrom/mjollnir on there and be a flying lightning storm of red and blue lightning.

Now if only there were some way to work the color white into all that....

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Played my first game of Dota2 last night - went Drow Ranger, since she was my go-to hero for the original game.

The lack of stats is really throwing me off, though. My build with Drow Ranger was always Frost Arrows Rank 1, then alternate stats and aura until both were maxed. Gave me ridiculously good creeping with the +dmg and +stats, plus a hefty nuke in Frost Arrows. But now I'm not sure if that playstyle is still valid.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    ...stats are in the game...I'm not sure what you mean?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »

Wait, really? Where is the button to select stats when you level up?

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »

Wait, really? Where is the button to select stats when you level up?

You click the stat box or whatever button you have assigned to it. It highlights in yellow just like your skills at level up, not sure how you missed it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well.

It did strike me as odd that they omitted that.

I guess the good old standby works still! Drow Ranger 4 lyfe

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

I spectated a game recently where a friend of mine lost to a sniper who never entered teamfights, just staying in lane for 40 minutes until he bought... a Battlefury.

I was pretty impressed.

• Options
    the battlefury delay rush

never see it coming

my one friend, back in dota 1, was bragging "oh man i learned how to farm and shit lemme get a hard carry"

he picks spec, i pick a jungler to babysit and shit

30 mins in i check in with him after letting him rice

treads and half a vanguard

ty bro

• Options
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The next two teams have been invited to The International 2. They're aL from Australia and Orange from Malaysia. I know Orange and I like them alright. They're not quite Pinoy dota, but they're close enough.

That leaves 12 more spots.

There are actually way more Chinese and SEA teams actually playing dota 2 now, which is great. It would be a shame for Europe to keep stomping just because they're the only ones that play.

And I wonder if Valve will be able to find a decent American team in time. There are a few good American players, but they're mostly on European teams. Might seem weird for the local crowd to not have any home teams to cheer on in Seattle.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I've never been good with Tiny, so I've decided to try figuring out how to play him.
    Unless I luck into a matchup with certain other melee heros, he's a poor solo; I think that much is obvious. He has no real ability to control the lane, and while his base damage is among the higher ones, it doesn't top Naix or Doom or a few others who aren't in the game yet. The total amount of money he needs is really not that high (early game does he really need anything more than blink/bottle/boots?), but he absolutely needs to get that money in a hurry. The fact that blink dagger costs 2150 in one big chunk hurts. Aside from trying to get as much out of his high base damage for last hits as possible, what's a good laning strategy for Tiny? Pair with Shadow Shaman for kills in lane? Is it more effective to head out for ganks early, or to stay in lane until both boots and bottle have been acquired? The cost of failed ganks gets to be steep since it feels like there's such a small window in which Tiny's combo is truly deadly, so if he's not getting money/xp from the ganks I feel like he's doubly hurt.

Bottle and rune control are critical to sustaining his ganking as everybody knows, but finding ways to mitigate the negative impact of others getting the runes is tricky. You can't get ALL the runes, and there will be times when the rune just spawns right beside an enemy. A very nice thing is that a full bottle gives 225 mana, which is almost enough for ava/toss all by itself. Passing the bottle to the courier is probably the best way to go should I fail to get a rune. Is there a better strategy?

The way I'm building right now is:
    2 tangos
    stout
    3 branches
    boots/bottle
    - If enemy is dumb and I'm able to bag kills just with that, then sustaining myself in the field makes me get arcane boots. In most cases, I'll try to get the blink dagger first, because it's often a necessary condition for effective ganking)
    - If things are going really badly/well, I get the jango; it combined with grow ms buff makes it hard for people to run away from me, which is useful for finishing people off or just charging in when I don't have blink at the moment)
    - After that I build for aghanims so that I can be relevant as a pusher (which I don't always finish), and the luxury item after that would probably be whatever the team needs (ac, sheepstick, etc.)

Skill build is the cookie cutter ava/toss, with lvl 4 avalanche taken after maxing toss. I might take grow at 6 just for the move speed.

l_g on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tiny has higher base than Naix and Doom, and in pub games unless the opposing mid has blink it's quite easy to get every rune. I would almost always get arcane before blink as it gives you mana to farm and gank more and in the early game blink isn't critical because you can come behind from on either side lane plus two out of the 5 runes are just as good as blink. Never get grow before 9 and also if you can't finish bottle, arcane, blink, aghs in a normal game then you need to get better at farming because that's like a minimum build though I do think aghs on him is pretty game dependent.

What I want to know if why dota2 nerfed him or is playdota just out of date because random toss is complete garbage.

edit: I guess I forgot this part, but you you should be solo mid as he's not a poor solo. His high base makes last hitting easy and while you will get harassed by range that's pretty normal. Side lane tiny is only useful if you get a ridiculous amount of kills because you level to slowly for the combo to be good and bottle side lane is completely meh.

khain on
  • Options
    khain wrote: »
    Tiny has higher base than Naix and Doom, and in pub games unless the opposing mid has blink it's quite easy to get every rune. I would almost always get arcane before blink as it gives you mana to farm and gank more and in the early game blink isn't critical because you can come behind from on either side lane plus two out of the 5 runes are just as good as blink. Never get grow before 9 and also if you can't finish bottle, arcane, blink, aghs in a normal game then you need to get better at farming because that's like a minimum build though I do think aghs on him is pretty game dependent.

What I want to know if why dota2 nerfed him or is playdota just out of date because random toss is complete garbage.

Is nuking the creep wave with avalanche to push it the preferred way to push the lane for rune collection? While getting the rune does mean 3 bottle charges, it also means that a bunch of the mana from that bottle will be going towards the nuke used to push the lane. How do you keep up with the mana cost?

Huh, I didn't realize that dota 2 wasn't following the same convention of "nearest unit". Then again, if multiple units are the same distance away, it probably is random.

I don't always get the complete aghanim's if I'm dumping money into buying wards/dust for the team. I do agree that farming up the aghanim's isn't particularly hard, especially once you have the mana to just walk into a lane and instantly snag every creep with ava/toss and then move on to the next area.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    you could always go force staff on tiny for some initiation and it helps out his mana situation. also, it's like, the best item in the game...

• Options
    edited May 2012

i said i didn't want to talk about it!!!

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    If he had a charged magic wand he should be okay.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Ah, played Pudge for the first time tonight. It's just as I had thought, it's so easy to rack up kills with him it feels like cheating.

• Options
    the signal of a great game is you know

ya dunk and shit

but then you land that one great hook that fucking seals the game

and then in all chat

theDUDEfuck: fucking mh

• Options
    HilgerHilger Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    And I wonder if Valve will be able to find a decent American team in time. There are a few good American players, but they're mostly on European teams. Might seem weird for the local crowd to not have any home teams to cheer on in Seattle.
    Actually, North American DotA teams are the best they've ever been. Complexity and Quantic (formerly ex-Gosu) are both really good teams that have full US/CA lineups. Evil Geniuses reformed and their roster is 4/5ths North American plus the Dane Maelk.

I'd wager that Complexity is a lock to be invited to the International. Quantic is a strong possibility, but despite their match successes they've had some recent roster instability, which is apparently something Valve is paying a lot of attention to when selecting teams. Evil Geniuses have also had some recent roster instability, as well as some poor match results, despite having a lot of potential based on strong individual player skill.

So I'm guessing 1-2 North American teams, leaning towards both Complexity and Quantic being invited.

Hilger on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Unless Quantic has an alternate Dota team that isn't listed on their website, all of their players are Danish, with a Swedish manager.

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    That's the old quantic team, that left to pursue a shady sponsor that fell through.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    My bad, then. I just looked at the team listing and missed the announcement of a new Dota 2 team on their front page.

I got a pretty funny kill earlier. I was on low health as Riki and running from a Slardar that had me tracked. Then I noticed that he was nearly as low health as I was and killed him with a blink strike.

I guess describing it like that doesn't seem very exciting, but I thought it was funny when I did it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The best part about this years International is that its in Seattle, and that I will be able to watch it at a reasonable time of day.

However, if Valve intends to stick to their word on having all but 5 - 10 heroes in by the start of it, we better start seeing some multi hero patches soon.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    The best part about this years International is that its in Seattle, and that I will be able to watch it at a reasonable time of day.

However, if Valve intends to stick to their word on having all but 5 - 10 heroes in by the start of it, we better start seeing some multi hero patches soon.

Let's be clear Valve never gave their "word" on anything. They said they hope to have all but 10ish heroes by the International. They are beholden to no one but themselves to make that happen, but it's possible it won't because shit comes up when making games.

• Options
    Drool wrote: »
    Skab wrote: »

Let's be clear Valve never gave their "word" on anything. They said they hope to have all but 10ish heroes by the International. They are beholden to no one but themselves to make that happen, but it's possible it won't because shit comes up when making games.

Okay, bad choice of words I guess? Didnt mean to imply anything other than that was the plan they had stated. Sorry?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    It's alright I've just been reading to much Diablo 3 stuff and am really tired of how entitled people are when it comes to video games.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    OK, so not quite sure what to do at this point. In my attempts to improve, I keep running into the same problems. If I try and play solo, the rest of the team picks poorly and someone feeds. I've been trying to jungle, and I can do it well with Lycan, Seer and Furion with great results......except for the fact these people can't hold their lanes alone, so I either have to attempt to save them constantly and fall behind, or they give up the tower much to early. This also seems to be a problem in organized teams as well. I -wish- I was simply having the problem of the enemy team picks AM and he's allowed to farm, that I can somewhat accept. I honestly don't know what to do. If I pick a carry, I get no support, if I support the carries are terribad and unable to carry. What do?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png