As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mad Men

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Mr. Belding?

for sure. he got heavy.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Pete and his obsession with Gilmore Girls.

And it seems like Megan
    going will either lead to Don entering his old faithless ways, seeing as he can be faithful if he's being babysat, or, more cliche, an affair on her part.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Episode spoilers
    One step closer to Megan leaving Don or vice versa. I also think that was a pretty sad moment for Don, I think he loved working with Megan.

Yeah. Too bad.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    I'm kind of wondering if something bad will go down with Pete, tangentially mentioning suicide at the beginning of the episode, and generally seeming increasingly existential in his thinking/behaviour.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Great episode

I love how this show never fails to be funny even when it's being so amazing on the drama front in the same episode. A couple great Harry Crane lines tonight:

"I like the pictures of the Earth! They're majestic!"

"What do you want?"
    "Nothing!"
    "Why did you come over here?"
    "Why did you open the door?"

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Mr. Belding?

Yeah. And I have to say, I was a little shocked.

I'm also trying hard not to be skeptical at the 'Roger/Pete snow skis' scene. I guess I just expect them both to always have an agenda when interacting with one another. So, if there was one, I missed it. Granted, I watched it at 1am. Still, if anyone noticed something more than what Roger told Pete, please let me know.

• Options
    Decoy wrote: »
    Mr. Belding?

Yeah. And I have to say, I was a little shocked.

I'm also trying hard not to be skeptical at the 'Roger/Pete snow skis' scene. I guess I just expect them both to always have an agenda when interacting with one another. So, if there was one, I missed it. Granted, I watched it at 1am. Still, if anyone noticed something more than what Roger told Pete, please let me know.

No, I thought the same thing. Being as this has been Pete's season to crap on Roger, Roger getting Pete's mind to be somewhere else (while he secretly has Peggy shore up the airline account, possibly) seems right in line with that.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I took that scene as Roger kind of mellowing on the feud, what with his drug-inspired epiphany and all.

Also: "Well, I got to see that."

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Wanted to add, Peggy sure got her moment last night. Telling Don to shut up shows how far she's come, and the fact that his response is an impotent glare and trying to light a cigarette is even more telling of how far she's come and how she wouldn't just be fired immediately for something like that.

Also, wonder if we were introduced to Chekov's elevator (y'know, the one that goes to engineering).

Mad King George on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    pete meet elevator?

Also Peggy's contrast and similarities with Megan are at a height, especially when she yells at Don tonight, and noone thinks anything will come of it. 1st season madmen Don would of fired the entire floor and banged some waitress over that.

Edit: I still think roger is up to something, but the up to something is epiphany filled. You see, he is at peace because he knows how to win. that magnificent bastard.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    pete meet elevator?

Also Peggy's contrast and similarities with Megan are at a height, especially when she yells at Don tonight, and noone thinks anything will come of it. 1st season madmen Don would of fired the entire floor and banged some waitress over that.

Edit: I still think roger is up to something, but the up to something is epiphany filled. You see, he is at peace because he knows how to win. that magnificent bastard.

Probably, but judging by what a pain in the ass those skis were for Pete, it might be that Roger was just smart enough to know he was never going to use them, so why not fool someone else into getting them out of his office

And yeah, Peggy telling Don off was the best part of the episode.

I'm getting kind of sick of Pete being miserable. Roger's funnier when he's miserable, and Don's an interestingly psychological kind of self-imposed misery. Pete's just miserable for no good reason.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    He's miserable because he is so close to having the life that he wants but ultimately fails to. Or, at least, fails to achieve it in the way that he wanted. In many ways its a depiction of the emptiness that achieving your goals can bring. You managed to become partner, get a better office, have a kid...but things haven't really changed and you don't feel any more whole at the end of it like you had hoped.

Also, he lives in the suburbs now. That's a pretty good reason to be miserable.

• Options
    Speaking of Peggy, taking my thoughts further, it really is funny how Don uses the cigarette at the end. He's shown that he's attracted to women who stand up to him and so when Peggy deals with him, he has no recourse but to turn to the post-coitus cigarette.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I took that scene as Roger kind of mellowing on the feud, what with his drug-inspired epiphany and all.

I thought the drug-inspired epiphany would stop him from sticking his dick in Don's mother-in-law but it didnt. Im not sure hes changed, I think hes just more okay with who he is.

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

I thought the drug-inspired epiphany would stop him from sticking his dick in Don's mother-in-law but it didnt. Im not sure hes changed, I think hes just more okay with who he is.

Why should it have stopped him? It's not like he was the one chasing after her.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »

Friend's mother-in-law, employee's mother, they were in the other room, etc.

emp123 on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    He's miserable because he is so close to having the life that he wants but ultimately fails to. Or, at least, fails to achieve it in the way that he wanted. In many ways its a depiction of the emptiness that achieving your goals can bring. You managed to become partner, get a better office, have a kid...but things haven't really changed and you don't feel any more whole at the end of it like you had hoped.

Also, he lives in the suburbs now. That's a pretty good reason to be miserable.

The thing that I enjoyed about Pete was that he was actually different from most of the dudes at the office. His life was hardly perfect, and he had a lot of flaws and problems in his marriage, and he was kinda a dipshit. Now he's just another dude who's miserable about how rich he is and hates his wife, blah blah blah.

And I'd actually be fine with that, but... If I want that story arc I can watch the better done versions of like, almost any other character in the show not named Peggy :)

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I believe Pete is miserable because he's waking up to his emotional immaturity. He's like the opposite of Don, he has little resilience or confidence, and is undergoing an existential crisis.

I mean, look at his relationships with women. His affairs are with women who are either lonely or desperate. They don't care about him as such, as opposed to Don who has had relationships with successful women who were attracted to his personality and charm.

Pete and Don are kind of mirroring each other this season, in that Pete is like the lesser version of Don who will never catch up in terms of the resilience Don has built up over the years. Pete has lived a privileged/spoiled lifestyle for his entire life, while Don has had to deal with struggle and hardship.

I think that's what Pete was really getting at when he said he had nothing.

Lucid on
  • Options

Those might be reasons if you were worried about getting caught. But really, I'm not quite clear why he's at fault for a sexual encounter initiated by Don's mother-in-law.

• Options

Those might be reasons if you were worried about getting caught. But really, I'm not quite clear why he's at fault for a sexual encounter initiated by Don's mother-in-law.

Mainly the repercussions for getting caught. Which he was, but just hasnt had to deal with the repercussions yet.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    I think Pete hates being middle class living in the suburbs rather than living the upper class glamor lifestyle in Manhattan that he got used to growing up. He is just feeling dull and ordinary.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Lucid wrote: »
    I believe Pete is miserable because he's waking up to his emotional immaturity. He's like the opposite of Don, he has little resilience or confidence, and is undergoing an existential crisis.

I mean, look at his relationships with women. His affairs are with women who are either lonely or desperate. They don't care about him as such, as opposed to Don who has had relationships with successful women who were attracted to his personality and charm.

Pete and Don are kind of mirroring each other this season, in that Pete is like the lesser version of Don who will never catch up in terms of the resilience Don has built up over the years. Pete has lived a privileged/spoiled lifestyle for his entire life, while Don has had to deal with struggle and hardship.

I think that's what Pete was really getting at when he said he had nothing.

Pete's also the opposite of Sterling. Sterling grew up rich, but he also went through the Pacific side of WWII which got real ugly real fast. He was tempered quickly, yet still maintains his childish desires of getting what he wants, so he has a weird sort of balance: this grown-up's knowledge of how ugly the world can be mixed with this insatiable childlike lust for what he wants when he wants it (and the means to achieve it, be it charm, money, etc.).

Pete lost the privilege, so he lost the ability to have that childish sense of desire fulfilled, but it's not like going from very-very rich to partner-in-a-firm rich is enough of a loss to be the trial-by-fire than Don's whole life has been or what Roger's gone through in WWII.

Mad King George on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Why Don why! That was incredibly petty. Honestly only thought Ginsburg would challenge Peggy, but I guess her mentor is fair game too.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Why Don why! That was incredibly petty. Honestly only thought Ginsburg would challenge Peggy, but I guess her mentor is fair game too.
    A lot of characters were petty and jealous this episode, now that I think about it. Don, Peggy, Betty

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    A lot of characters were petty and jealous this episode, now that I think about it. Don, Peggy, Betty
    And once again only Roger realized it. The line Betty used to cap off the episode was a good summary.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the central theme of that episode was definitely everyone acting petty and jealous. Pretty much all the characters were out for their own self interests and had no problem using others to get what they wanted.

• Options
    Way to go for Megan, though.

Her whole
    "Look, dude, Betty's trying to be a long-distance bitch," speech was awesome.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I was pretty bored by that episode. And still no Lane.

Don is boring and Ginsberg is boring, Roger is going in circles, Peggy not doing much of anything, Pete not doing anything... There have been some good episodes in this season but it's now becoming more soap opra-ey than ever before.

• Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    Sally vs Betty is awesome :)

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    I was pretty bored by that episode. And still no Lane.

Don is boring and Ginsberg is boring, Roger is going in circles, Peggy not doing much of anything, Pete not doing anything... There have been some good episodes in this season but it's now becoming more soap opra-ey than ever before.

What? I don't even...?

• Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    izzyb wrote: »

"She's hungry, Bobby."

I also liked the unsubtle metaphor of Bobby's crayon-drawing whale getting harpooned to death while still maintaining a fake smile.

Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    izzyb wrote: »

"She's hungry, Bobby."

I also liked the unsubtle metaphor of Bobby's crayon-drawing whale getting harpooned to death while still maintaining a fake smile.

Plus it was blue and she was wearing blue.

• Options
    i liked this episode. Not as much as the three before (which were fantastic) but it was still good. Even if it did show most of the main cast at their most unlikable. I'm very curious what sort of ending this season is heading towards.

• Options
    at first I felt like Don was seeing if he still had it. he built up a great team and wanted to see if he could go head to head with the current star.

but then he just fucked him! it was terrible and awesome and exactly what I should have been expecting.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    at first I felt like Don was seeing if he still had it. he built up a great team and wanted to see if he could go head to head with the current star.

but then he just fucked him! it was terrible and awesome and exactly what I should have been expecting.

Uh, Don
    read through the guy's idea book before sitting down and trying to come up with his own "better" idea, and everyone agreed it wasn't as good. Don was an asshole from the beginning of the whole sequence.

• Options

Uh, Don
    read through the guy's idea book before sitting down and trying to come up with his own "better" idea, and everyone agreed it wasn't as good. Don was an asshole from the beginning of the whole sequence.
    everyone seemed into taking both? I know they said they liked the loud joke of the ball hitting the people in the face but people also spoke up for the devil one. He was being an asshole but I don't think it was that blatant until he left the other one behind. pushing his own to see what happens at the pitch isn't the most asshole move.

• Options

Uh, Don
    everyone seemed into taking both? I know they said they liked the loud joke of the ball hitting the people in the face but people also spoke up for the devil one. He was being an asshole but I don't think it was that blatant until he left the other one behind. pushing his own to see what happens at the pitch isn't the most asshole move.

I'm talking about the fact that the only way for him to
    jump start his "creativity" was go through another guy's idea book without him knowing. That's super shitty.

• Options

Uh, Don

jump start his "creativity" was go through another guy's idea book without him knowing. That's super shitty.
    okay maybe I misread that, I thought he went through the book and was impressed so he tried to come up with something. like a challenge to himself.

woops

• Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular

Uh, Don

You didn't feel like people were patronizing Don or trying to spare his feelings?

Home-1.jpg
  • Options

Uh, Don

okay maybe I misread that, I thought he went through the book and was impressed so he tried to come up with something. like a challenge to himself.

woops

I think you're right, too, but only in that Don sees it that way. And Don's great at lying to himself. I think we're supposed to see what a dick move he pulled all the way from beginning to end with the Snoball pitch.