Options

Class of Heroes 2 - PSN Release Date is 6/4.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Maybe someone on GAF should tell that fucker to add digital copies to the kickstarter if he wants it to get money.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    It's up to about $6k. There's no way on earth this project is getting funded.

• Options
    Even those without a vita probably want it digitally just in case they ever do get one. Give me the deluxe box with a slip of paper inside with a game code. Or, hell, leave an empty UMD case in there with the slip of paper tucked inside if the UMD is so important.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Eh. I'll donate a few bucks then.

But if Vic and Gamearts ever team up again, I'll throw so, so much money their way.

He actually mentioned the Game Arts now isn't the same one really

Quore from Vic
    It's not to say Game Arts can't do games, it's just that with all the behind the scenes (and some on the stage) drama, a true LUNAR is unlikely. They're just not the same Game Arts as LUNAR days, and key partners in the process are sued into oblivion (Studio Alex) or pissed off.

The current incarnation of Game Arts is clearly still making games.

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Raggie wrote: »
    I really liked CoH so I'm happy to hear someone finally picked up a sequel. The deluxe version is probably really tasty too, but I'd like to know the contents before I commit to anything.

EDIT: Victor Ireland had this to say in NeoGaf about CoH1:

I did earlier in this thread or maybe in the KS localization thread, but the basic thing is that it was tedious to play. EXTREMELY tedious. There were tons of little stupid things that interrupted any flow you might get into. It was stuff like:

Having to pay to see what loot you collected actually was

When you got back to school after each dungeon having to restore magic to your magic users and then healing each party member manually because it was too expensive to rest and restore MP/HP for your group.

Shock tiles/traps were super annoyingly placed (cheap shots)

Operations required too many keypresses that really added up.

Dull dungeons.

etc, etc, etc

The CHORE of playing overwhelmed whatever good was there. It's stuff that could have been fixed in a few days or a week in localization, but just wasn't.

Some of that's already fixed in CoH2 as we have it (improved dungeons and other items), and I have a rather extensive list of stuff I'd like to do to streamline play to keep players in the flow. How much of that and extra stuff I want to do (extra save slots, for one), depends on the KS support level. I really think we'll get the support to do it all, but even if we fail the digital release will still be worlds better than CoH1.

Ugh, and thus why I came to hate Ireland. He always felt he knew better what was going on in game design than the actual people who designed the game, and frequently ended up fucking up the mechanics, making the game significantly more difficult than it needed to be, and flat out breaking it in the process. His obsession with pop culture references, "kicking up" the humor of the scripts, and then masturbating all over himself in the back of the manuals got old quick, and he already seems to be creeping back in that direction. I gotta admit, near the end I was more interested in the swag than the games he "improved", and was happy to see other companies that popped up, and tended to localize and release the game in decent time rather than taking drawn out years to "improve them" come along. I'm kind of happy his next game is just something like this :/

Eheh, sorry about the rant :D

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

But if Vic and Gamearts ever team up again, I'll throw so, so much money their way.

He actually mentioned the Game Arts now isn't the same one really

Quore from Vic
    It's not to say Game Arts can't do games, it's just that with all the behind the scenes (and some on the stage) drama, a true LUNAR is unlikely. They're just not the same Game Arts as LUNAR days, and key partners in the process are sued into oblivion (Studio Alex) or pissed off.

The current incarnation of Game Arts is clearly still making games.

Lunar isn't the only thing GameArts made, and the changes he's talking about had already been made by the time Grandia 2 was released.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I put in $10, thinking this was also getting a PC release.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah. I have no idea how a Wizardry clone is labled as a "JRPG" in any way, shape, or form.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Uh, it has a month to go you know.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Uh, it has a month to go you know.

I know. Generally speaking, the 1st day of a kickstarter is by far the biggest day for funding. If they don't manage to get $50k on day 1 and $200k by the end of the 1st week, I'd say it's doomed.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, to put it into perspective, the Doublefine Kickstarter got nearly a third of its final funding in the first day

I want to say Wasteland hit 900k in a single day as well, and after eleven days has reached just over 1.6m

This thing is dead in the water, and it isn't because the fans of unlocalized JRPGs aren't there, but because this whole thing has been handled with a startling degree of ineptitude

The Kickstarter itself is poorly defined and murky, the reward tiers are by and large terrible, they're banking on the Vita revitalizing PSP sales to sell this and yet aren't offering a digital copy, the game itself is niche title in a niche genre and the sequel to a game which by word of mouth is "known" to be bad...

The whole thing is kind of depressing because I feel like they're going to take all of the wrong lessons from this experience though

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Also they put up an image of a huge titted girl bursting out of her bikini next to a furry

this is a thing they did

also, here's how much money you need to donate to simply have your name in the credits: five hundred dollars

five hundred dollars to have your name. in the credits. to a wizardry clone on PSP

Compared to 25 dollars for the breath of death pc kickstarter

Rent on
  • Options
    Rent wrote: »
    Also they put up an image of a huge titted girl bursting out of her bikini next to a furry

this is a thing they did

also, here's how much money you need to donate to simply have your name in the credits: five hundred dollars

five hundred dollars to have your name. in the credits. to a wizardry clone on PSP

brb getting my wallet

but hey for five bucks I can have them compile my name into some nigh totally unverifiable location in the game, that's practically just as good

• Options
    damn it maddoc, you're right again

but yeah this ks is a joke, also @rainbowdespair since you asked, the guy who's writing the banner saga wrote the terrible secret of animal crossing and oregon trail lps

basically what i'm saying is give money to the banner saga kickstarter, it's the best

• Options
    Also the fact that this is totally a western RPG and they keep calling it a JRPG is kind of dumb.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Since Banner Saga was mentioned, they got $100k (their goal) in the first 2 days. They're up to $310k right now with 23 days left. New funding has slowed drastically though so I don't see it making $500k.

This kickstarter is currently up to $14k after half a day. That's a much slower rate than the Banner Saga was getting on its first day and the Banner Saga kickstarter will probably not make $500k. This kickstarter is DOA.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Also the fact that this is totally a western RPG and they keep calling it a JRPG is kind of dumb.

Why do they need to localize it, then?

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options

It's a Japanese game, but the gameplay is similar to old-school Western RPGs like Wizardry.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

It's a Japanese game, but the gameplay is similar to old-school Western RPGs like Wizardry.

Wizardry style games took off much much better in Japan then they ever did here.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Wizardry style games took off much much better in Japan then they ever did here.

I know that. That doesn't mean that people don't think Western RPG when they see a Wizardry style game.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    I know that. That doesn't mean that people don't think Western RPG when they see a Wizardry style game.

Maybe 20 years ago.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

You really don't want this. GameArts is a rotting corpse. Studio Alex, the people who made Lunar great, are dead and gone. There's much brighter horizons Victor needs to set his sights on.

I personally wish he'd gone after a more recognizable niche title left to rot in Japan like, say, Oreshika or Dangan Ronpa, but I'm okay with this. If it's a foot in the door, he's got my support. I have faith in Ireland's opinions of games, because we've always had similar tastes.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I personally wish he'd gone after a more recognizable niche title left to rot in Japan like, say, Oreshika or Dangan Ronpa, but I'm okay with this. If it's a foot in the door, he's got my support. I have faith in Ireland's opinions of games, because we've always had similar tastes.

Those are more recognizable? I've never heard of either.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

You should read Siliconera more. They're niche, but there's a devout following for both games.

Heck, we talk about Oreshika at this very board in the Learning Japanese thread. Its' an Alfa System cult classic PS1 game that was ported to the PSP. (AKA 'Over My Dead Body'.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

Maybe 20 years ago.

It's sorta like... do you consider Demon's Souls to be a jrpg? It's made in japan, after all.

• Options

You should read Siliconera more. They're niche, but there's a devout following for both games.

Heck, we talk about Oreshika at this very board in the Learning Japanese thread. Its' an Alfa System cult classic PS1 game that was ported to the PSP. (AKA 'Over My Dead Body'.)

I'll believe you when you say they have more of a fanbase, but there's no way that 2 obscure Japanese RPGs are more recognizable than a sequel to a game that actually came out in English.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    He has my support in buying a digital copy of the game when it's released.

But this kickstarter? It's a hard sell. I don't see the point. This isn't some high-profile game where such a huge special edition would be warranted. And as I want a digital version there is nothing in this kickstarter for me.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options

I'll believe you when you say they have more of a fanbase, but there's no way that 2 obscure Japanese RPGs are more recognizable than a sequel to a game that actually came out in English.

Okay, then going that route: Half Minute Hero 2. Sequel to an established game, and a certifiably DAMN good one.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wrong game for the wrong systems for this kind of market test.

• Options

Okay, then going that route: Half Minute Hero 2. Sequel to an established game, and a certifiably DAMN good one.

If they replaced "Class of Heroes 2 LE" with "We'll release Half-Minute Hero 2" this kickstarter would be seeing so much more success. Man, I'm buying my first house in a month so money is tight and I'd still figure out some way to pitch in.

• Options
    Oh god, I'm pissed we never got Half-Minute Hero Second.
    And Front Mission 5 (yay for fan translations).
    And Tales of Innocence (yay for fan translations.... and there's new hope for the R remake).
    And Tales of Hearts.
    And Namco x Capcom (yay for fan translations).
    And Valkyria Chronicles 3... oh my f'ing expletives i'm mad about not getting this one. I would pay Texa$ to get this one.

• Options
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36449026&postcount=389
    Slow and steady wins the race (we hope).

I've been answering emails and interviews all day...I finally made it back here.

At the current rate we should fund in less than 20 days, but we have to maintain the level of interest and pledges.

There have been some *great* suggestions about stuff we completely overlooked that the digital support tiers should have like wallpapers (first two levels) and a digital copy of the soundtrack (at the $20 level). We were so focused on the physical part of it that we kind of glossed over the digital. A few fans also suggested we offer a choice of plush one level up from the first plush level as part of the next reward. That was a great idea, too. We're working to revise reward levels now.

• Options
    Until they add in a digital copy of the game at some reward tier, my money stays in my pocket.

But this kickstarter? It's a hard sell. I don't see the point. This isn't some high-profile game where such a huge special edition would be warranted. And as I want a digital version there is nothing in this kickstarter for me.

Yeah, this

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just finished writing an article about how badly conceived this kickstarter is:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RobertBoyd/20120328/167405/A_Kickstarter_Without_a_Cause__Class_of_Heroes_2.php

Thanks for the article. I saw the kickstarter page and instantly became confused. How do you put up a kickstarter that essentially tells people they're going to have to either double pay to get the game or get the deluxe version(which, being non-digital, is not Vita-able), and then expect them to want to support it?

Donnicton on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular

They should have a level that's just like the physical copy, but just goes the Patapon 2 route where Sony sold the PSN card in the game case with the case art, instructions,etc for people who want the deluxe edition stuff, but not the UmD. :P

• Options
    Aoi wrote: »

They should have a level that's just like the physical copy, but just goes the Patapon 2 route where Sony sold the PSN card in the game case with the case art, instructions,etc for people who want the deluxe edition stuff, but not the UmD. :P

To give the guy some credit, he does respond to this on NeoGAF (where other people there hold the same opinion).
    vireland wrote:
    Because you're mixing two royalty structures if you do that. Sony has a physical royalty structure and a digital one. They don't have a digital/physical hybrid structure. It doesn't exist. That's the direction we want to get to so everyone has the option they want (DD, DD code only +Deluxe Pack, full Physical Deluxe Pack), but we're not there yet. This IS the baby steps I'm talking about. You have to jump in somewhere and start swimming or you're never getting to the goal. Talking about doing something and doing something are completely different disciplines. We're working to change the way things are headed for fans and collectors to a fan positive outcome. It won't happen overnight, but this is our start.

But it doesn't make it any less palatable.

• Options
    also @rainbowdespair since you've created a thread for this terrible shit idea kickstarter that doesn't need to be made can you please make a thread for this awesome kickstarter that's the best thing ever and the greatest pitch video i've ever seen:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slowkid/metacell-2-beyond-the-gate

everyone itt check out the pitch video

• Options

Maybe 20 years ago.

This suggests people recognize a dungeon crawler at all. Pretty much every vocal fan and website mentioned Wizardry when Etrian Odyssey came out.

People still remember /Wasteland/.

I don't doubt for a minute that tons of people still know what Wizardry is. Probably from the terrible NES versions, even!

You say JRPG, and most people, particularly netizens which would be the type of people looking at a Kickstarter to begin with, will instantly think Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and other tropish JRPGs. Not, well, wizardry.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mass Effect 3 is closer to a JRPG than this is. Focus on party rather than main character, focus on epic pre-built narrative, highly-cinematic, not able to choose your own path or make your own choices...

(I'm only half-trolling.)