As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is this your [chat]?

18586878991

Posts

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I almost want to make a "What would you REALLY do if you won $500 million" thread. I don't know if those ever end up very good though.

    I don't think anybody really does.

    People always focus on the stupid shit that having no practical cost restriction would enable them to do, but I think in practice once you actually can do those things they probably don't seem as interesting.

    Which is the reason why you don't tend to see actual millionaires riding gold-plated jetskis around artificial lakes filled with Cristal, and such.

  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User
    Oh and the "The bad guys have become more military like, so need to as well."

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Dude

    This is horrifying: democracynow.org/2012/3/29/killed_at_home_white_plains_ny

    Old guy's medic-alert bracelet goes off accidentally, police come to his house, break down his door, taser him, and then kill him.

    Like

    He was 68

    the officers are claiming self defence.

    Why would they have all of that equipment on a medic-alert bracelet call? Like, what's the thought process here? "Old guy might be having a heart attack, we'd better bring the riot gear!"

    Lots of PDs are getting more militarized due to no-knocks/breech entry situations being more common, and they figured 'we've got it we might as well keep it in the truck'?

    Some of those devices have a 'duress' setting too, where you push a button and it tells the alarm company that there's an intruder in your house and you're scared for your life.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • hanskeyhanskey Registered User
    edited March 2012
    hanskey wrote: »
    i havent been as fat as i am now in like 2 yrs its disgusting

    maybe longer
    Starting Strength failing you?
    got thrown off going to the gym after i went on a 6 day ski trip, and then was distracted by planning for my japan vacation and preparing/worrying about a job interview that popped up (which i failed)
    poor excuses

    but my laziness was compounded by the fact that i've been eating like shit for the last few months, after falling off the healthy eating wagon hard for whatever reason

    so all that together is just

    its just shit
    I totally feel your pain, because I'm in much the same boat.

    hanskey on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I shouldn't have read that transcipt. Goddamnit.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User
    Thanatos wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »
    Dude

    This is horrifying: democracynow.org/2012/3/29/killed_at_home_white_plains_ny

    Old guy's medic-alert bracelet goes off accidentally, police come to his house, break down his door, taser him, and then kill him.

    Like

    He was 68

    the officers are claiming self defence.
    Holy Christ!!

    what the fuck is wrong with law enforcement these days?
    They are basically completely in control of every aspect of our legal system.

    And absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Right, but,

    THEY KNOCKED HIM OUT WITH A TASER AND THEN SHOT HIM!!!!
    Did they shout "he's comin' right for us!" first?

    Not that it matters. Just look at Mehserle and the BART execution; he got off with time served. He's probably working as a cop in some other city, now.

    Plus isn't it essential "Shit, Internal Affairs is investigating me. I know, I'll quit, then I'm not a cop, and they can't fire me! I'll just go somewhere else and not have any blemishes on my record!"

  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    good lord f da police

    poo
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I almost want to make a "What would you REALLY do if you won $500 million" thread. I don't know if those ever end up very good though.
    I don't think anybody really does.

    People always focus on the stupid shit that having no practical cost restriction would enable them to do, but I think in practice once you actually can do those things they probably don't seem as interesting.

    Which is the reason why you don't tend to see actual millionaires riding gold-plated jetskis around artificial lakes filled with Cristal, and such.
    That's what I'm saying: I would look at where my use of the money could have the biggest impact on one of my passions (politics), and spend it there.

    I figure anything short of that is just going to seem kind of "meh" with that much money.

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    good lord f da police
    Amen, brotha; fight the power!

  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    GUYS GUYS I HAVE A PLAN:

    Everyone on the forums empties their life savings accounts into a pool until we have $176 million.

    Then we systematically purchase every single possible permutation of the mega millions lottery numbers.

    Then we split the winnings based on how much you put in.

    Every single person who puts in money gets a ~1.4x guaranteed instant return on their investment.

    forget the lottery
    lets do a forumwide tontine

    I want to be in at least one tontine.

    Even if it's like a $50 tontine, every man should have one.

  • hanskeyhanskey Registered User
    Thanatos wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »
    Dude

    This is horrifying: democracynow.org/2012/3/29/killed_at_home_white_plains_ny

    Old guy's medic-alert bracelet goes off accidentally, police come to his house, break down his door, taser him, and then kill him.

    Like

    He was 68

    the officers are claiming self defence.
    Holy Christ!!

    what the fuck is wrong with law enforcement these days?
    They are basically completely in control of every aspect of our legal system.

    And absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Right, but,

    THEY KNOCKED HIM OUT WITH A TASER AND THEN SHOT HIM!!!!
    Did they shout "he's comin' right for us!" first?

    Not that it matters. Just look at Mehserle and the BART execution; he got off with time served. He's probably working as a cop in some other city, now.
    I know, I know.

    This kind of shit just get's me twisted: they shoot a fucking Veteran Of War, after tasering him and thus far have gotten off on "self-defense", when the only reason they were there is he had on a life-alert bracelet. It's just sick.

  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User
    Feral wrote: »
    mindspork wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Dude

    This is horrifying: democracynow.org/2012/3/29/killed_at_home_white_plains_ny

    Old guy's medic-alert bracelet goes off accidentally, police come to his house, break down his door, taser him, and then kill him.

    Like

    He was 68

    the officers are claiming self defence.

    Why would they have all of that equipment on a medic-alert bracelet call? Like, what's the thought process here? "Old guy might be having a heart attack, we'd better bring the riot gear!"

    Lots of PDs are getting more militarized due to no-knocks/breech entry situations being more common, and they figured 'we've got it we might as well keep it in the truck'?

    Some of those devices have a 'duress' setting too, where you push a button and it tells the alarm company that there's an intruder in your house and you're scared for your life.

    Fair enough.
    You also hear the operators from the LifeAid company call the police station and say that they want to cancel the call, Mr. Chamberlain is OK. And at one point you hear the officer there at their central office say, "We’re not canceling anything." They say, "Call his son. Contact his son." And they say, "We’re not contacting anyone. We don’t need any mediators."

  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    If I had $500 million I would probably buy nicer versions of the things I already own or currently buy and then play a lot more video games.

  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i hate waking up from a nap still tired and kind of nauseous

    but not tired enough to fall back asleep

  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User
    Winky wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    GUYS GUYS I HAVE A PLAN:

    Everyone on the forums empties their life savings accounts into a pool until we have $176 million.

    Then we systematically purchase every single possible permutation of the mega millions lottery numbers.

    Then we split the winnings based on how much you put in.

    Every single person who puts in money gets a ~1.4x guaranteed instant return on their investment.

    forget the lottery
    lets do a forumwide tontine

    I want to be in at least one tontine.

    Even if it's like a $50 tontine, every man should have one.

    Except for the part where the PA forumers start killing each other to increase their share. :D

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I think I would also buy a handful of apartment buildings in various cities, and let young people trying to get out of rural and suburban areas use them while they're job hunting, so they can get on their feet.

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I almost want to make a "What would you REALLY do if you won $500 million" thread. I don't know if those ever end up very good though.
    I don't think anybody really does.

    People always focus on the stupid shit that having no practical cost restriction would enable them to do, but I think in practice once you actually can do those things they probably don't seem as interesting.

    Which is the reason why you don't tend to see actual millionaires riding gold-plated jetskis around artificial lakes filled with Cristal, and such.
    That's what I'm saying: I would look at where my use of the money could have the biggest impact on one of my passions (politics), and spend it there.

    I figure anything short of that is just going to seem kind of "meh" with that much money.

    I would have to find myself a project. I don't think it would really matter what, as long as it was interesting, but I'd need to find something to structure my day enough that I would bother getting up in the morning. I actually think I would probably end up spending all my time studying and just accumulate degrees.

    I worry that I would really go off the rails if I had functionally unlimited cash available and thus no need to actually do anything.

  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yay! My squad of winterguard is assembled!


    This is the best national anthem

    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I almost want to make a "What would you REALLY do if you won $500 million" thread. I don't know if those ever end up very good though.
    I don't think anybody really does.

    People always focus on the stupid shit that having no practical cost restriction would enable them to do, but I think in practice once you actually can do those things they probably don't seem as interesting.

    Which is the reason why you don't tend to see actual millionaires riding gold-plated jetskis around artificial lakes filled with Cristal, and such.
    That's what I'm saying: I would look at where my use of the money could have the biggest impact on one of my passions (politics), and spend it there.

    I figure anything short of that is just going to seem kind of "meh" with that much money.

    Right, I mean basically I just try to think of the best person to give it all to.

    Maybe I'd try to form some sort of big angel investment fund for science start-ups, or contribute to the establishment of a brain-computer interface institute or something.

  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    GUYS GUYS I HAVE A PLAN:

    Everyone on the forums empties their life savings accounts into a pool until we have $176 million.

    Then we systematically purchase every single possible permutation of the mega millions lottery numbers.

    Then we split the winnings based on how much you put in.

    Every single person who puts in money gets a ~1.4x guaranteed instant return on their investment.

    forget the lottery
    lets do a forumwide tontine

    I want to be in at least one tontine.

    Even if it's like a $50 tontine, every man should have one.

    Except for the part where the PA forumers start killing each other to increase their share. :D

    What you do is enter your gamertag in the tontine and use MS funbucks instead of real money and then you can kill each others game characters to increase your share.

  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    My memory is so awful I would forget I was even in a tontine until the lawyer contacted me with the news I was the survivor.

    I would also forget where I was the night(s) of the murders of all the other tontine members. :ar!

  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    japan wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I almost want to make a "What would you REALLY do if you won $500 million" thread. I don't know if those ever end up very good though.

    I don't think anybody really does.

    People always focus on the stupid shit that having no practical cost restriction would enable them to do, but I think in practice once you actually can do those things they probably don't seem as interesting.

    Which is the reason why you don't tend to see actual millionaires riding gold-plated jetskis around artificial lakes filled with Cristal, and such.

    Man, Branson is the millionaire/billionaire who lives like you would expect the rich to live.

    NSFW, but no parts are showing. Linked anyways.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    mindspork wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    GUYS GUYS I HAVE A PLAN:

    Everyone on the forums empties their life savings accounts into a pool until we have $176 million.

    Then we systematically purchase every single possible permutation of the mega millions lottery numbers.

    Then we split the winnings based on how much you put in.

    Every single person who puts in money gets a ~1.4x guaranteed instant return on their investment.

    forget the lottery
    lets do a forumwide tontine

    I want to be in at least one tontine.

    Even if it's like a $50 tontine, every man should have one.

    Except for the part where the PA forumers start killing each other to increase their share. :D

    What you do is enter your gamertag in the tontine and use MS funbucks instead of real money and then you can kill each others game characters to increase your share.

    That would actually make a good mechanic for a phalla.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    If I had $500 mil I would put like $5 mil in a savings account to live off of interest and then give all the rest of it away to people who deserved it/invest it in companies who will do some good in the world.

  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Honk: I'd say just try playing a ranged AD and playing very passively and focus on last hits to learn?

    Been playing for about two years, so it's more bad luck and that I just can't play the game.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yay! My squad of winterguard is assembled!


    This is the best national anthem


    EA is Stalin.

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Man, Branson is the millionaire/billionaire who lives like you would expect the rich to live.

    NSFW, but no parts are showing. Linked anyways.

    If I had money like Richard Branson I would have naked women around me all the time.

    At home, on vacation, in the boardroom, press releases...

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    good lord f da police
    Amen, brotha; fight the power!

    A cop is picking me up for a road trip tomorrow. We may punch some hippies.
    F the haters.

  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »
    mindspork wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    GUYS GUYS I HAVE A PLAN:

    Everyone on the forums empties their life savings accounts into a pool until we have $176 million.

    Then we systematically purchase every single possible permutation of the mega millions lottery numbers.

    Then we split the winnings based on how much you put in.

    Every single person who puts in money gets a ~1.4x guaranteed instant return on their investment.

    forget the lottery
    lets do a forumwide tontine

    I want to be in at least one tontine.

    Even if it's like a $50 tontine, every man should have one.

    Except for the part where the PA forumers start killing each other to increase their share. :D

    What you do is enter your gamertag in the tontine and use MS funbucks instead of real money and then you can kill each others game characters to increase your share.

    That would actually make a good mechanic for a phalla.

    Oh god, a phalla for real money?

    There would be no end to the drama.

    Let's do it.

  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Take out a bunch of life insurance policies for yourself under aliases with the tontine as the benificiary and then fake the aliases' deaths.

  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    good lord f da police
    Amen, brotha; fight the power!

    A cop is picking me up for a road trip tomorrow. We may punch some hippies.
    F the haters.
    Oh shits, we are partying with a cop?

    *calls off the hookers and blow*

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    If I had $500 mil I would put like $5 mil in a savings account to live off of interest and then give all the rest of it away to people who deserved it/invest it in companies who will do some good in the world.

    i'd probably do something similar except i'd give away $5mil to people who could use it better than me, and then i'll live off the interest of 495,000,000 :)

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I almost want to make a "What would you REALLY do if you won $500 million" thread. I don't know if those ever end up very good though.

    I don't think anybody really does.

    People always focus on the stupid shit that having no practical cost restriction would enable them to do, but I think in practice once you actually can do those things they probably don't seem as interesting.

    Which is the reason why you don't tend to see actual millionaires riding gold-plated jetskis around artificial lakes filled with Cristal, and such.

    Man, Branson is the millionaire/billionaire who lives like you would expect the rich to live.

    NSFW, but no parts are showing. Linked anyways.

    Branson just seems to spend his leisure money on more-expensive-than-average "lad's holidays". I don't tend to think of him as particularly frivolous, for whatever reason.

  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User
    Feral wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Man, Branson is the millionaire/billionaire who lives like you would expect the rich to live.

    NSFW, but no parts are showing. Linked anyways.

    If I had money like Richard Branson I would have naked women around me all the time.

    At home, on vacation, in the boardroom, press releases...

    Bring new meaning to the term 'earmuffs'.

  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also do you new york people know about how that drunk guy assaulted and pushed a kid onto the L train tracks at bedford avenue, and he then got smeared across the tracks by a train

    my friend's boyfriend saw that

    that sounds

    traumatic

    poo
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    mim i could make you really good mediterranean food.

    but i won't because i hate you.

    Whaaaat. What'd I do

  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    good lord f da police
    Amen, brotha; fight the power!

    A cop is picking me up for a road trip tomorrow. We may punch some hippies.
    F the haters.
    Oh shits, we are partying with a cop?

    *calls off the hookers and blow*

    Good idea. He can probably get both for super cheap!

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »
    Bring new meaning to the term 'earmuffs'.

    I loled.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • mindsporkmindspork Registered User
    syndalis wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    good lord f da police
    Amen, brotha; fight the power!

    A cop is picking me up for a road trip tomorrow. We may punch some hippies.
    F the haters.
    Oh shits, we are partying with a cop?

    *calls off the hookers and blow*

    Good idea. He can probably get both for super cheap!

    Eh there's probably some in the evidence locker he can snag.

This discussion has been closed.