As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Forumer's Complete Guide To PAX

• leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    87114070.jpg

Eeee! It's my computer! I have a nice monitor now though, not that dull heap of junk.

I register for the BYOC each year because I'm claustrophobic, and the crowds have me taking sedatives within hours. This year I'm not even going to wait in lineup outside, just bugger off until 12 or 1 in the afternoon after dropping off my pc.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • PersopolianPersopolian Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As a PAX virgin, I thoroughly appreciate this post. Awesome, informative stuff.

A question on parties: Is there an official hotel party thread of some sort? I'm all about the social networking :D.

Persopolian on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As a PAX virgin, I thoroughly appreciate this post. Awesome, informative stuff.

A question on parties: Is there an official hotel party thread of some sort? I'm all about the social networking :D.

There are tons of room parties at pax, but so far only 4 I think have threads:

Party at Sealab Party

Robot Chicken Party

The "Boys" party

The "Girls" party

EDIT: Oh, theres also the booze thread, which may count...

The Alcohol Exchange Network

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • PlayPlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Being right in the middle of the Seattle Retail Core, food is everywhere. Hell, one could find enough variety to last the whole expo on the first floor of the WSCTC alone. There's no excuse to not eat right. Unless you spent all your money on T-shirts. (Hint: It's not worth it.)

Play on
  • artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    shame on anyone who plays wow for the majority of pax =/

artifice on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    artifice wrote: »
    shame on anyone who plays wow for the majority of pax =/

shame on anyone who plays wow, period.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • bugmenotbugmenot __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not a forumer, but I thought I could learn a little about PAX by reading what you guys had to say. I wish I hadn't. This thread makes PAX sound awful.

Here is the thread, summarized (these are not my opinions, but my reading of the thread):
    • PAX smells bad. Like, really bad.
    • There are long, hot lines every morning. Sometimes people who are not you get free t-shirts in them.
    • Scheduling is a mess, so forget about seeing the good panels.
    • Tournaments suck because everyone is better than you.
    • You will not get to freeplay, unless you like long lines. This is because PAX goers are assholes.
    • BYOC has many annoying regulations. Oh, and it's not worth it anyway.
    • You will not get any free stuff from the exhibitions, unless you like long lines.
    • You will not get to go to concerts, unless you like long lines.
    • You will not get free drinks, unless you like long lines. People who are not you will get 8 free drinks, though.
    • If you're lucky, you might have fun at non-PAX events, like room parties or classic gaming, but don't count on it, asshole.

Maybe I'm just reading into it to much, but this does not sound fun to me. I am moving to Seattle a week before PAX, and I was hoping to have a good time before starting work on that Monday. Is PAX really worth it?

bugmenot on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Apparently some of my attempts at humor with a touch of sarcasm were overlooked. The Console Freeplay lines are not because people are assholes, but because there are a lot of people waiting to get in. With luck, the new venue and increased staff numbers will expedite things, but with 30,000+ expected, there are going to be lines. As for the lines in the morning, you could just show up after the doors open and walk right in, the morning lineup is more fun than anything. Free stuff is everywhere, but there's only so much to go around. As for tournaments, seriously, there are a lot of people there, and somebody's likely to be better than you at something. Who knows, you might win something, but the object is to have fun, winning is just a fringe benefit. BYOC has the regulations it does to keep things running smoothly and make people comfortable leaving their stuff there. The concerts will hold somewhere close to 6,000 people this year. Not everybody goes to the concerts, but if you flake out when they're handing out wristbands, you'll miss out. Nothing can be done with the game company sponsored parties and how they handle their drinks, but it's not that difficult to grab a little alcohol at the store and go find a room party to hang in. There's plenty of fun stuff going on after hours, i don't know where you got the "don't count on it asshole" bit. Seriously, PAX is nothing short of concentrated awesome, so plug your nose and party down.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2007
    bugmenot wrote: »
    I'm not a forumer, but I thought I could learn a little about PAX by reading what you guys had to say. I wish I hadn't. This thread makes PAX sound awful.

Here is the thread, summarized (these are not my opinions, but my reading of the thread):
    • There are long, hot lines every morning. Sometimes people who are not you get free t-shirts in them.
    • You will not get to freeplay, unless you like long lines. This is because PAX goers are assholes.
    • You will not get any free stuff from the exhibitions, unless you like long lines.
    • You will not get free drinks, unless you like long lines. People who are not you will get 8 free drinks, though.
    • If you're lucky, you might have fun at non-PAX events, like room parties or classic gaming, but don't count on it, asshole.
    Maybe I'm just reading into it to much, but this does not sound fun to me. I am moving to Seattle a week before PAX, and I was hoping to have a good time before starting work on that Monday. Is PAX really worth it?

I think you may be the most pessimistic person EVER.

Seriously, last year was my first year, I knew no one, went on the fly, and they guy I went with was being an ass the whole time. But it still was one of the most fun weekends I've ever had.

*The people are great and I made tons of new really great friends

*I barely waited in any lines at all the whole weekend and managed to get a ton of swag

*I played in freeplay too. just sit around with a group of guys and chat for a while and you end up in the controller rotation :)

*The lines at PAX are effing awesome anyway, you stand around and chat with some really awesome people, laughing yourself silly and forget your even waiting for something.

*The sponsered parties are a bit chancy for free drinks, but there are TONS of afterparties, filled to the brim with fun, drunk and friendly gamers. ask around for 5 minutes and you will find at LEAST a few.

*BYOC is awesome, and it solves your concert problem as it gets you a bracelet. Security is tight, but fair, and BigRed is a nice guy if you don't cross him. Plus I'm bringing him cookies so he should be complacent.

In short, stop being so negative, go and have a blast with us! Or.... don't. It's your loss XP

BrokenAngel on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Get off your high horse, slick, and come to the fun!

PAX is all about the people. Enjoy them, play with them, talk to them. Everything else is just gravy.

You may have the impression that we are all going to be smelly, nerdy, loud and swag-snatching monkeys. Well, whatever, it's still a damn good time. I went last year for my first time, and I came out with like 2 shirts, a bag of swag, a great concert with several awesome bands and a huge supply of friends.

PAX is about community. We are gamers. We are people. We love fun. We HAVE fun.

Coming to PAX isn't just about PAX itself. We have the Pre-PAX dinner, the movie raid, the parties (Party at Sealab Party and Robot Chicken Party HOOOOOO!), and concerts BEFORE PAX people are attending (Freezepop and the Nerdcore Show) and the Patient Zero and TerraDrive Live games.

And let's not forget that so many people have almost as much fun just being a part of one of the Supertrips!

Not to mention, all the people who are going to BYOC.

And even if you can't or don't win one, the tourneys are fun to play in or just watch, if the room is open for observers.

Plus the greatest tourney of all the OMEGATHON is being played by 20 contenders for the awesome prize of a trip to the Tokyo Game Show and 5,000 bucks to spend.

There is NO reason PAX show be avoided. It is always awesome. It will always BE awesome.

*Clicks one off on his imaginary score board* Count it!

Officer on
    edited July 2007
    Recruit wrote: »
    PAX is all about the people. Enjoy them, play with them, talk to them. Everything else is just gravy.

You may have the impression that we are all going to be smelly, nerdy, loud and swag-snatching monkeys. Well, whatever, it's still a damn good time. I went last year for my first time, and I came out with like 2 shirts, a bag of swag, a great concert with several awesome bands and a huge supply of friends.

Ahhh hot sweaty nerd love.... who can say no to that?

BrokenAngel on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Recruit wrote: »

Ahhh hot sweaty nerd love.... who can say no to that?

Certainly not me! But then again, I am the PAX bicycle.

Officer on
  • Spyder ZSpyder Z I am What and Who I am Shoreline, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    *I played in freeplay too. just sit around with a group of guys and chat for a while and you end up in the controller rotation :)

Heheh, not disagreeing with yah, but on this point, well...

*Points to your chest*

I think that had more to do with your being added to the rotation than anything else.... Just saying. ;-)

P.S. PAX is concentrated awesome distilled into a fine Win. 8-)

Spyder Z on
    edited July 2007
    Spyder Z wrote: »

Heheh, not disagreeing with yah, but on this point, well...

*Points to your chest*

I think that had more to do with your being added to the rotation than anything else.... Just saying. ;-)

P.S. PAX is concentrated awesome distilled into a fine Win. 8-)

No! Recruit did too! And he has a far less ample bosom ;P

BrokenAngel on
  • badrewbadrew Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

heh I got a decent laugh out of that, as it all sounds pretty much true to me. I never get free stuff either, and while I'm a pretty good gamer, the true jedis come out at events like this to make everyone else look like noobs. there should be one last bullet comment though...
    • even though theres all these annoying factors, its still awesome as hell

In short, stop being so negative, go and have a blast with us! Or.... don't. It's your loss XP

are you making a face there? or telling him that he will lose experience points by not going?

badrew on
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    badrew wrote: »
    heh I got a decent laugh out of that, as it all sounds pretty much true to me. I never get free stuff either,

As for your lack of swag. You must have been in the all the wrong places at exactly the right times. I went last year and got so much stuff that I had to repack my bags just to make it all fit.

BTW I'm pretty sure XP was supposed to be a face.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
    edited July 2007
    badrew wrote: »
    are you making a face there? or telling him that he will lose experience points by not going?

A face. although he will lose vital experience as well

BrokenAngel on
  • bugmenotbugmenot __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, sorry if I was a little grouchy in my original post, I guess I needed to get some fresh air or something. :oops:

Nonetheless, thanks for the replies. It sounds like PAX will be a lot of fun. See you all out there!

bugmenot on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys - this thread - makes me want to go to PAX all the more.

Sadly, I doubt I'll be able to, what with living in Southern California, and being only 14. Hardly an optimal age to make travel accomodations on the fly, last minute. However, I hope to be there next year (I'm working on convincing my uncle to make the trek, since he's the only gamer I know my parents would let me go up to Seattle with); so wish me luck.

Oh, and I hope you guys have fun!

Muse Among Men on
  • BloodywednesdayBloodywednesday regular
    edited July 2007
    This is probably a moronic question but Gabe and Tycho won't be too swamped to sign stuff and take pictures with fans right? Also do they sell stuff from the store there? I have a crap load more questions but I can't think of them right now...O_o I'll post more later...

Bloodywednesday on
    edited July 2007
    Stuff from the store is sold at their booth in the exhibition hall. There should be time allotted around one or more of their panels to get stuff signed, as for pictures, it's best to try for those when you see them out and about and they don't look too busy. I don't know how they feel about having pictures taken with people during signings, but I imagine it would hold up the line considerably if everybody did that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    it's best to try for those when you see them out and about and they don't look too busy.

LOL. I don't think this is ever the case at PAX. :)

TrainwreckX on
    edited July 2007
    it's best to try for those when you see them out and about and they don't look too busy.

LOL. I don't think this is ever the case at PAX. :)

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. Oh well I could always just take a picture of them and photoshop myself in... the it would only be half lying...

Bloodywednesday on
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone know if and where I could buy a DS at the convention without being ripped off or anything? I want to have money to spend at the convention so I don't really want to buy a DS till I get there and realize there isn't something else I want more for 200 bucks. Also I guess if anyone has a old DS that works I would be willing to buy second hand.

Bloodywednesday on
    edited July 2007
    Your best bet would be to hit up a local Gamestop or other equivalent game store. Seattle is the country's #1 Video Gaming city, so finding one downtown shouldn't be difficult at all.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pink Godzilla might have them at there booth

atray on
    edited August 2007
    Alright thanks, is it against some sort of rule to post a topic asking if anyone going to PAX would be willing to sell me a older DS for cheaper? I can't find any rule against it but I don't want any demerit points...

Bloodywednesday on
    edited August 2007
    We don't really do buy/sell threads here, if you're looking to buy or sell something, it's customary to put the information in your signature.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007
    We don't really do buy/sell threads here, if you're looking to buy or sell something, it's customary to put the information in your signature.
    Thanks for the speedy response.

Bloodywednesday on
    edited August 2007
    Is it frowned upon to get people at booths to sign books of their comics or anything else with their work?

Bloodywednesday on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it frowned upon to get people at booths to sign books of their comics or anything else with their work?

When else would you have the chance to do it?

QuizMaster on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alright thanks, is it against some sort of rule to post a topic asking if anyone going to PAX would be willing to sell me a older DS for cheaper? I can't find any rule against it but I don't want any demerit points...
    Any reason you want to buy the DS at the convention?

Also, thanks a million to everyone for this thread. This will be our first PAX and we're really looking forward to it!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
    edited August 2007
    Any reason you want to buy the DS at the convention?

Also, thanks a million to everyone for this thread. This will be our first PAX and we're really looking forward to it!

Just in case I find something for 200 that I want waaaaaay more then a DS

Bloodywednesday on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think that part of the trick to enjoying PAX is to just roll with it. Is the line for X too long for your patience? Go do Y instead. Last year, I got into a lot of stuff with huge lines despite not waiting in those lines--I'd bugger off and go to a panel or get some coffee, maybe chill out in the bean-bags for a bit... then realize that the line had all filtered in, but the doors were still open. Sure, you end up hanging out at the back, but more often than not, people sneak out for tournaments/panels/parties, and you can yoink their seats.

If, like me, you have a limited tolerance for standing in the blazing sun or being immersed in body-to-body crowds, balance out the amount of time you spend doing that with quieter things, like panels, board games, sleep, or going for a walk. PAX is more than just the Exhibition Hall and the lines.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • PersopolianPersopolian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, only a few weeks. I'm so excited. Game Convention V-card is so ready to be handed in.

Persopolian on
  • bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok, so for a first time PAX newbie, what should I be looking to do so? I've been to numerous conventions and shows including the North American Auto Show in Detroit, GenCon and Origins numerous times (both working for publishers and purely recreational) as well as the first two Star Wars Celebrations (Denver and Indianapolis) which both consisted of line standing for several hours to do anything. The threads here have already killed any expectations of the size being anything like a Detroit Comic Con.

Will there be/is there a floor plan detailing what's where and event schedules (Not sure if there will be a gaming event type setup similar to GenCon or Origins) or will it be wandering around and finding things that are cool.

bigpanda on
    edited August 2007
    atray on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    And if you want a visual to apply size to that floorplan:

Last year America's Army had a Humvee & big shooting game(like a tent with big projection tv)... so those booths around it aren't just a folding table with 2 guys sitting at it... the exhibition room this year is gonna be sick... can't wait.

I doubt you'll HAVE to wait in line for several hours for anything... but bring a DS or something because some of the big events like the PA Panel you'll want to get in line for at least 45 minutes early for decent seating... last year you had to get in line really early if you didn't want to bake out in the sun with no shade while in line... hopefully line management will be better this year.

nearlysober on
    edited August 2007
    this has been a really cold summer. I wonder how pax weekend will be.

atray on
  • munkyboy0930munkyboy0930 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    for the Badges do they provide the strap things to hang them around your neck or do you buy those before you go.

munkyboy0930 on
    trainer.png
This discussion has been closed.