As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    What the flying fuck is Orbis and Durango?

Codenames for the next Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Or a new animated sitcom on Cartoon Network. I have no idea.

Realtalk: I thought they were the names of the two robots in Portal 2.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

That's Atlas and P-body.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    NINTENDOOMED!!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-05-wii-u-competitive-position-has-deteriorated

This guy thinks Activision isn't supporting WiiU.

So yeah, we've known for ~6 months that Vicarious Visions, aka the guys who do the Nintendo games for Activision, are making a Wii-U game.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/vicarious-visions-working-on-wii-u-6337307

The fact checking by this guy is basically non-existent. He probably read the top three Wii U stories of the day (the current flavor being DOOM), checked if COD WiiU had been announced, threw in the usual "Nintendo should go smart phones", and called it a day.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Weird how life balances out - I've had an awful week, where I lost $1400 because my wallet was stolen, and had a tooth extracted (and thus I've been vicodin'd up).

Then today, I win a contest for a free alienware laptop. I'm getting a 1.5 ghz i7 laptop with 8 gb of ram, which the dude tells me is worth $2100. I'm still gonna keep my desktop because it bests those specs, so I can sell the laptop and make the money back.

Talk about great luck.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

That's Atlas and P-body.

I think my version is funnier.

Durango is such a weird sounding word. Durango. The more you say it the stranger it gets.

Durango.

Du

ran

gooooo

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

That's Atlas and P-body.

Durango is such a weird sounding word. Durango. The more you say it the stranger it gets.

Durango.

Du

ran

gooooo

Here's a pic of Microsoft's Durango. Top secret everyone.
    2008DodgeDurango.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Take Two picks a fight with THQ for some reason.
    Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick spoke plainly today at the MIT Business in Gaming conference about the differences between his company's strategy on core game development and that of the floundering THQ.

"THQ's strategy was licensed properties, first and foremost. License stuff from other people, whether it's UFC or WWE or a motion picture property, and make a game around that," Zelnick said, noting Take-Two hasn't had the best year either, but a good five-year run. "And our approach, since we took over the company, is 100 percent owned intellectual property."

Zelnick stated licensed properties -- something he has avoided in his career -- leaves publishers at the mercy of license holders. Even if a publisher does a great job on a property, it will have to renegotiate the license in a few years and the margins will decrease because it's being charged more money for a brand it built up in the space. Zelnick noted THQ did partially change its strategy a few years back regarding owned intellectual strategy, but it's hard to do that overnight.

"The most important difference is quality. Take-Two has the highest quality ratings among third-party publishers, according to Metacritic and most people in the industry. Quality really, really, really matters. THQ has had some good games, but their quality levels aren't even remotely ... the quality hasn't measured up."

"Strategy didn't work and the execution was bad. To put it another way: the food was no good and the portions were small." Zelnick closed his comparison of the two companies by saying, "THQ won't be around in six months."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/thq-wont-be-around-in-six-months-says-take-two-ceo-zelnick/

And THQ returns the smack:
    THQ has contacted Joystiq with a response to Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick's dire prediction from this afternoon: "Obviously, Mr. Zelnick's perception of THQ is outdated and inaccurate. His comments are irresponsible and false. Perhaps he would be better off commenting on his own business."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/thq-take-two-ceos-perception-is-outdated/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    While uncalled for he's probably just about exactly right.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

That's Atlas and P-body.

Durango.

Du

ran

gooooo

2008DodgeDurango.jpg
    No, that's just the controller

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

That's Atlas and P-body.

Durango.

Du

ran

gooooo

2008DodgeDurango.jpg
    No, that's just the controller

It's got a great rumble feature, but the gas mileage sucks.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    There were actually plenty of PSP devices sold "in the west", millions...but software sales were always shit. Look, no one knows for real why it all went to shit...but certainly the easily cracked nature of the system + software piracy didn't help. It CAN kill a system; See: Cast, Dream.

Piracy didn't kill the dream cast, Sony's hype machine and promise of real time toy story graphics did.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Weird how life balances out - I've had an awful week, where I lost $1400 because my wallet was stolen, and had a tooth extracted (and thus I've been vicodin'd up).

Then today, I win a contest for a free alienware laptop. I'm getting a 1.5 ghz i7 laptop with 8 gb of ram, which the dude tells me is worth $2100. I'm still gonna keep my desktop because it bests those specs, so I can sell the laptop and make the money back.

Talk about great luck.

Wouldn't great luck involve you not having your wallet stolen AND winning the laptop?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Talk about great luck.

Wouldn't great luck involve you not having your wallet stolen AND winning the laptop?

He's at least 700 dollars lucky. Not as good as 2100 dollars lucky, but still a lot better than 1400 dollars unlucky.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm just saying he's of moderate or mixed luck, not "great." :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i'm sure he's got a good reason, but who the fuck keeps $1400 in their wallet? that's more than my rent. are you bill gates?

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    He sold info to MS. That's really where his name came from. Sega was retarded to trust him with secret formula for blast processing.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Furry stripclubs are expensive.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    i'm sure he's got a good reason, but who the fuck keeps $1400 in their wallet? that's more than my rent. are you bill gates?

That IS my rent. I had just withdrawn it because I was going to pay my rent after I dropped by a bar to say hello to a friend.

Sometime during my stay at the bar, my wallet was taken from me. No clue when.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...hopefully you will invest in checks now, good sir.

• Options
    Furry stripclubs are expensive.
    Damn!

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...hopefully you will invest in checks now, good sir.

My landlord demands rent in cash, unfortunately.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    sorry, that's a raw deal! you landlord sounds like a dick, but then again i have never met a nice landlord

• Options
    sorry, that's a raw deal! you landlord sounds like a dick, but then again i have never met a nice landlord

Well, she's British. So her accent is hot. But ya, that I frequently have to drive across my city with huge amounts of money in my pocket annoys me.

BUUUUT Like I said, it evened out, because I won a gaming laptop that I can sell for at least $1400.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular

Well, she's British. So her accent is hot.

You are paying your rent in the wrong currency, then. :winky:

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Well, she's British. So her accent is hot.

You are paying your rent in the wrong currency, then. :winky:

TSR is legal tender for all debts, public and private.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    NINTENDOOMED!!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-05-wii-u-competitive-position-has-deteriorated

This guy thinks Activision isn't supporting WiiU.
    1. Wii U GPU is less powerful than Xbox360/PS3 according to developers, which means it has no edge besides the tablet interface to attract core users. Initial third-party titles are likely to be only ports from Xbox360/PS3 titles. A bundled WiiSports/Mario title may help initial sales beat Wii launch, but Wii was severely production-constrained and the surprise factor from Wii U is less.
    Um, what the fuck? Didn't we just find out that the Wii U is packing stronger-than-expected RAM and processing power? Or are we still operating in that, "NOPE, GRAPHICS CHIPS ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS" mindset?
    2. iPad with its retina display shows where Apple is taking its 4 screen infrastructure, leaving Wii U less connected and less relevant. The GPU processing power for handsets is reaching consoles such that we think core gamers have no interest in buying into the Wii U. Apple might add in a controller to its line-up to be more attractive to core users. MocoSpace survey shows that 96% of gamers like to play their games at home, and with a better infrastructure we think iOS will be able to deliver a single game experience across four screens that Nintendo cannot.
    The iPad comparison is so goddamn irrelevant because the Wii U is NOT a fucking full-functional mobile personal computer. Jesus, this 'negative point' is pulled out of the ass.
    3. Wii U will have 1-year window to gain installed base before PS4 (Orbis) and then Xbox Durango launch in late 2013. At that point, the core gamer that Nintendo is after for the first time will have no interest in Wii U. We understand that Activision has no plans to support Wii U, which means the biggest selling title of Call of Duty will be missing; Konami is also planning minimal support.
    First of all, there's no actual release dates for the PS4 or the next Xbox. So the "one-year-window" is, again, pulled from an ass. If there's no PS4 / X720 at E2 2012, then if they do show up in E3 2013 it would be a VERY tall order that they get released the same year. If I'm not mistaken all the current gen consoles made a couple E3 appearances before they became products you can buy from a store. Second, well, the article stated it, but Activision hasn't said "no support at all," they just haven't commented. Silence is not the same as declaring lack of support.

I dunno, this guy is fucking idiotic on so many levels.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Actually, Activision said something to the effect of 'You never bet against Nintendo'.

Yup, looked it up:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6317743/e3-2011-activision-supporting-wii-u
    "We will be supporting the Wii U," Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg told GameSpot earlier today. "You bet against Nintendo at your peril."

Plans can indeed change but I doubt that a no-name analyst would be privy to such important information.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Why wouldn't Activision support every goddamn platform?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/thq-wont-be-around-in-six-months-says-take-two-ceo-zelnick/
    Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick spoke plainly today at the MIT Business in Gaming conference about the differences between his company's strategy on core game development and that of the floundering THQ.

"THQ's strategy was licensed properties, first and foremost. License stuff from other people, whether it's UFC or WWE or a motion picture property, and make a game around that," Zelnick said, noting Take-Two hasn't had the best year either, but a good five-year run. "And our approach, since we took over the company, is 100 percent owned intellectual property."

Zelnick stated licensed properties -- something he has avoided in his career -- leaves publishers at the mercy of license holders. Even if a publisher does a great job on a property, it will have to renegotiate the license in a few years and the margins will decrease because it's being charged more money for a brand it built up in the space. Zelnick noted THQ did partially change its strategy a few years back regarding owned intellectual strategy, but it's hard to do that overnight.

"The most important difference is quality. Take-Two has the highest quality ratings among third-party publishers, according to Metacritic and most people in the industry. Quality really, really, really matters. THQ has had some good games, but their quality levels aren't even remotely ... the quality hasn't measured up."

"Strategy didn't work and the execution was bad. To put it another way: the food was no good and the portions were small."
    Zelnick closed his comparison of the two companies by saying, "THQ won't be around in six months."

Good ol' food analogies.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Space Marine and DoW must be bad because they're licensed----wait, put the chair down!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I guess this was inevitable:
    EA has been inundated in recent weeks with what GamesIndustry International understands to be "several thousand" letters and emails protesting the inclusion of same sex or LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) content in its video games, most notably Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. When asked, EA confirmed that this has indeed been occurring, and unsurprisingly, EA has no plans to censor any of its games.

"Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content. This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment," Jeff Brown, VP of corporate communications told us.

The letters have been directed to EA's executive team, creative heads, its board of directors and just about anyone at a high level. Many of them threaten to boycott EA's titles if the publisher refuses to remove same-sex relationship content.

The letters also infer that EA was pressured by LGBT groups to include homosexual content in its games, and that this content is somehow forced upon children, exposing them to LGBT themes. Of course, those of you reading this already know how ludicrous this is. The games are not for children, nor do they force LGBT content on a player - it's merely an option for gamers who wish to replicate their real-life sexual orientation.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-04-ea-defends-itself-against-thousands-of-anti-gay-letters

• Options
    That is disgusting. I can't believe that anti-gay movements are still actually a thing in the 21st fucking century. I bet that, and I'm being very generous here, half of those complainers haven't even seen the games in motion.

heeerrrp think of the children heeerrp derrrrp

Well fuck you.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why wouldn't Activision support every goddamn platform?

"Strategy didn't work and the execution was bad. To put it another way: the food was no good and the portions were small."
    Zelnick closed his comparison of the two companies by saying, "THQ won't be around in six months."

Good ol' food analogies.

Can't forget THQ's response.

http://i.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/thq-take-two-ceos-perception-is-outdated/
    THQ has contacted Joystiq with a response to Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick's dire prediction from this afternoon: "Obviously, Mr. Zelnick's perception of THQ is outdated and inaccurate. His comments are irresponsible and false. Perhaps he would be better off commenting on his own business."

And I agree on the Activision thing. They like money so it is silly to say they will not publish games on the WiiU

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    But there is zero LGBT content in SWTOR currently. None. They're talking about something thay dosen't exist an was only said to be included in a later content patch a some point, maybe.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Draw Something is now a tenth as popular as Angry Birds.
    Mega-hot mobile game Draw Something has been downloaded 50 million times in the 50 days since its launch.

Zynga calls the Pictionary-esque Draw Something the fastest growing mobile game of all time.

“We believe it’s not only the fastest growing original mobile game of all time – 50 days to hit 50 million downloads – but one of the fastest growing web sensations that we’ve seen,” Zynga said in a statement.

Social gaming giant Zynga acquired OMGPOP, the creator of Draw Something in March for $180 million.

According to Zynga, more than 6 billion drawings have been created since launch.

The ad-free 99 cent version of Draw Something is the top paid download in Apple’s App Store, as well as the store’s top grossing and top free download. The social game is also available in the Android marketplace.

http://mashable.com/2012/04/05/draw-something-50-million/

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I guess this was inevitable:
    EA has been inundated in recent weeks with what GamesIndustry International understands to be "several thousand" letters and emails protesting the inclusion of same sex or LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) content in its video games, most notably Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. When asked, EA confirmed that this has indeed been occurring, and unsurprisingly, EA has no plans to censor any of its games.

"Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content. This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment," Jeff Brown, VP of corporate communications told us.

The letters have been directed to EA's executive team, creative heads, its board of directors and just about anyone at a high level. Many of them threaten to boycott EA's titles if the publisher refuses to remove same-sex relationship content.

The letters also infer that EA was pressured by LGBT groups to include homosexual content in its games, and that this content is somehow forced upon children, exposing them to LGBT themes. Of course, those of you reading this already know how ludicrous this is. The games are not for children, nor do they force LGBT content on a player - it's merely an option for gamers who wish to replicate their real-life sexual orientation.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-04-ea-defends-itself-against-thousands-of-anti-gay-letters

This has been going on a while. EA just got made sure to get this out their now to take some momentum away from the ME3 debacle and them winning the worst company award.

• Options
    I still can't believe EA won Consumerist's worst company award. Just to let you know, their main competitor was: Bank of America. One of the companies that helped cause the recession, still refuses to cut struggling homeowners the smallest of breaks, imposes fees all over the place and has absolutely horrible customer service.

Which I'd argue kinda outclasses annoying microtransactions and a controversial story ending.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It was an internet poll man. People voted. People are retarded.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    EA was definitely the least worst company out of those. It's just that, lots of people seem to be incapable of recognizing something terrible as long as they think it's something that doesn't directly affect them.

• Options
    I still can't believe EA won Consumerist's worst company award. Just to let you know, their main competitor was: Bank of America. One of the companies that helped cause the recession, still refuses to cut struggling homeowners the smallest of breaks, imposes fees all over the place and has absolutely horrible customer service.

Which I'd argue kinda outclasses annoying microtransactions and a controversial story ending.

I think if the gaming sites weren't so pro-EA and out right attacked people who didn't like ME3's ending they probably wouldn't have won.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Its a internet poll so you shouldn't be surprised.

Heck, remember a few years back when TIME magazine had a internet poll for their "Person of the Year" deal and Rain(a Korean pop singer) was in first place.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.