As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I've had my fill of indie platformers for a while. I'm kind of tired of 2d platformers in general at this point.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/christmas-release-for-halo-4/094231
    Halo 4 to be released sometime around Christmas. It will obviously sell like hotcakes.

Also, Gaikai is now on facebook for all your demo streaming needs. It seems like a decent enough idea.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of shooty things, Origin somehow accidentally revealed Crysis 3. Only this time, you have a crossbow!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/11/try-and-look-surprised-crysis-3-acci-revealed-by-eas-origin-se/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I liked Legend of Dragoon wayyyy more than any of the PS1 Final Fantasies. It was a pretty badass game.

Woohoo, I knew I wasn't the only fan of the game.

Damn straight!!!! Weeeeeell, I liked FFIX even more but thats only one of em'.

To be fair, I'm a huge fan of FFXIII and IX. (Don't really like FFVII) I love the characters and worlds, and Squall and Rinoa is probably the reason I loved FFVIII as much as I did. But LoD gets so much hate, that I have to declare my love for it so it balances things out. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Obviously a silenced rifle wasn't silent and deadly enough.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Speaking of shooty things, Origin somehow accidentally revealed Crysis 3. Only this time, you have a crossbow!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/11/try-and-look-surprised-crysis-3-acci-revealed-by-eas-origin-se/

"Accidentally"

I'm not terribly excited about a Crysis 3. Crysis 1 was pretty fun, Crysis 2 was pretty bleh...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Did we ever get numbers for Crysis 2?

• Options

"Accidentally"

I'm not terribly excited about a Crysis 3. Crysis 1 was pretty fun, Crysis 2 was pretty bleh...

Personally the only thing that could get me excited for a Crytek game is if they don't actually shoehorn "cry" in the title.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Weep-sis.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    crysis 2 was such a let down.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    KH has this issue where they have all these really cool FF and disney characters... but can't stop introducing their own crappy characters. nobody gives as shit about these dudes in black cloaks just fucking let me team up with nick cage in national treasure

I think I'm one of the odd ones who doesn't care about the cliff's notes versions of disney films in these games and instead wants to know what going on with Ansem, Roxas, Sora, etc.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    KH has this issue where they have all these really cool FF and disney characters... but can't stop introducing their own crappy characters. nobody gives as shit about these dudes in black cloaks just fucking let me team up with nick cage in national treasure

I think I'm one of the odd ones who doesn't care about the cliff's notes versions of disney films in these games and instead wants to know what going on with Ansem, Roxas, Sora, etc.

I also wanted to learn what was going on with Roxas, especially after hanging around with him for a few hours at the start of KH2. You know what I learned about him over the course of the game?

Not a goddamn thing.

Well, other than that "nobody" thing that makes my head hurt when I try to make sense of it. The problem with KH isn't the new characters, it's the convoluted yet nonsensical plot.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

I also wanted to learn what was going on with Roxas, especially after hanging around with him for a few hours at the start of KH2. You know what I learned about him over the course of the game?

Not a goddamn thing.

Well, other than that "nobody" thing that makes my head hurt when I try to make sense of it. The problem with KH isn't the new characters, it's the convoluted yet nonsensical plot.

Play 358/2.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Honestly, I never played KH2. I loved KH though, but the plot was pretty simple in that one. Sora and friends get sucked into the black hole, a bunch of critters are attacking, Hey Goofy and Donald, you visit and save a bunch of worlds, Oh noes! My friend is a villain! Hey Final Fantasy characters! Ansem blah blah blah, Darkness/hearts/fight/finale. Save the girl/lose the girl when worlds right themselves.

I mean it had some nonsense in it, but overall, pretty great story, heartbreaking ending, and nice way to lead into KH2. Too bad that ball got dropped pretty hard.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I thought it was interesting that the basis for KH2 actually only hinged on one very short segment from 1 yet that's the one plot point they give the least amount of attention to once they got to the sequel it seems.
    sora becoming a heartless is what creates Roxas and all that.

then in 2 you play as Roxas for the intro and the end of the intro is basically the end of that plotline. they could have done a lot more with that I think and there where hints of it with how Axel interacted with the main characters.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular

"Accidentally"

I question why a guy in a super high fancy suit needs a bow. That said I love bows and shooting people with arrows, it reminds me of Rambo.

Crysis 2 was pretty blah, I can barely remember a thing about it.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I liked Legend of Dragoon wayyyy more than any of the PS1 Final Fantasies. It was a pretty badass game.

To be fair, I'm a huge fan of FFXIII and IX. (Don't really like FFVII) I love the characters and worlds, and Squall and Rinoa is probably the reason I loved FFVIII as much as I did. But LoD gets so much hate, that I have to declare my love for it so it balances things out. :P

I guess you really love characters, because Squall and Rinoa weren't even close to enough to carry FFVIII for me, which was a pretty terrible game outside of a couple of characters. The magic system was terrible, the story was pretty terrible. It was the first game I can say without a doubt that Square was completely resting on their laurels. FFVII was such a huge success, they figured they could shovel any load of crap in to a JRPG package and ship it as VIII...and they did.

I firmly believe one of the reasons IX is a perpetually underrated and underplayed FF is that it followed FFVIII, which was such a huge crap shock for people used to the quality of FFVII, that IX almost gets overlooked. Which is a damn shame, because IX is great and deserves to be played.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I guess you really love characters, because Squall and Rinoa weren't even close to enough to carry FFVIII for me, which was a pretty terrible game outside of a couple of characters. The magic system was terrible, the story was pretty terrible. It was the first game I can say without a doubt that Square was completely resting on their laurels. FFVII was such a huge success, they figured they could shovel any load of crap in to a JRPG package and ship it as VIII...and they did.

I firmly believe one of the reasons IX is a perpetually underrated and underplayed FF is that it followed FFVIII, which was such a huge crap shock for people used to the quality of FFVII, that IX almost gets overlooked. Which is a damn shame, because IX is great and deserves to be played.

It also didn't help that it came out towards the end of the PSOne's life.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Eh, I dunno. We see end-of-life games get big play all the time. DQ8 for the PS2? Xenoblade for the Wii? There are many others I'm sure, especially outside of the RPG genre. I don't think end-of-life really hurts a good game that much. There has to be other factors.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Seems decidedly anti-industry here. But there is a JRPG thread.

• Options
    Your face is a JRPG thread! :x

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Was FF IX underrated at release?

I was only 13 when it came out so didn't really care about reviews, but it's remained my favourite FF and probably my favourite JRPG of all time.

Having a confident womanising dude as a protag after "...whatever" was especially refreshing.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Eh, I dunno. We see end-of-life games get big play all the time. DQ8 for the PS2? Xenoblade for the Wii? There are many others I'm sure, especially outside of the RPG genre. I don't think end-of-life really hurts a good game that much. There has to be other factors.

DQ8 was released 2 years before the PS3 came out in Japan. Xenoblade was released over a year and a half ago in Japan, or over 2 years before Wii-U. FFIX came out in July 2000 in Japan and the PS2 was released in March of that year.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DQVII in Japan was released several months after the release of the PS2. It was the best selling Playstation game in Japan. On the other hand, DQ is probably an exception.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    it didn't hurt that both the PS and the PS2 crowd could both play it either.

• Options

I was only 13 when it came out so didn't really care about reviews, but it's remained my favourite FF and probably my favourite JRPG of all time.

Having a confident womanising dude as a protag after "...whatever" was especially refreshing.

Everyone knows that Steiner and Vivi are what made FFIX awesome.

Vivi.... :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Huh. The really interesting thing about that is the price tag. Next to DA2, crysis 2 was one of the first games they forced the $60 PC price on.

But yeah not too excited about it despite crysis being one of my favorite games this "generation." Hopefully their experience with porting the first one will make it not as....limited by console RAM limits

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    it's $50 on console? that can't be right. EA is supposed to be evil.

• Options
    So what does GFWL offer developers that makes them keep on using it?

• Options
    This Just. Won't. Stop.
    Mass Effect 3 players have been up in arms about the controversial ending to the game, to the point where BioWare felt compelled to create free DLC with "further closure" in the storyline. Now the Better Business Bureau has raised the possibility that Electronic Arts and BioWare misled consumers with its advertising.

Marjorie Stephens, Director of Communications at BBB of Northern Indiana, commented, "Consider this: If you had purchased a game for $59.99... and were told that you had complete control over the game's outcome by the choices your character made and then actually had no control over the game's outcome, wouldn't you be disappointed?"

"The issue at stake here is, did BioWare falsely advertise? Technically, yes, they did. In the first bullet point, where it states 'the decisions you make completely shape your experience', there is no indecision in that statement. It is an absolute," she continued, referring to marketing points on the official Mass Effect website.

Some consumers believe that EA should allow them to return the game for a full refund. At the moment, it's unclear if the BBB will exert any pressure on EA to satisfy disappointed players.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-11-mass-effect-3-may-have-been-falsely-advertised-says-better-business-bureau

Unless I missed something, I don't see anything in ME3's ads that flat-out say "you get to choose your ending!"

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    So what does GFWL offer developers that makes them keep on using it?

The safe return of kidnapped family members/pets.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    This Just. Won't. Stop.
    Mass Effect 3 players have been up in arms about the controversial ending to the game, to the point where BioWare felt compelled to create free DLC with "further closure" in the storyline. Now the Better Business Bureau has raised the possibility that Electronic Arts and BioWare misled consumers with its advertising.

Marjorie Stephens, Director of Communications at BBB of Northern Indiana, commented, "Consider this: If you had purchased a game for $59.99... and were told that you had complete control over the game's outcome by the choices your character made and then actually had no control over the game's outcome, wouldn't you be disappointed?"

"The issue at stake here is, did BioWare falsely advertise? Technically, yes, they did. In the first bullet point, where it states 'the decisions you make completely shape your experience', there is no indecision in that statement. It is an absolute," she continued, referring to marketing points on the official Mass Effect website.

Some consumers believe that EA should allow them to return the game for a full refund. At the moment, it's unclear if the BBB will exert any pressure on EA to satisfy disappointed players.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-11-mass-effect-3-may-have-been-falsely-advertised-says-better-business-bureau

Unless I missed something, I don't see anything in ME3's ads that flat-out say "you get to choose your ending!"

If this goes through, that opens the flood gates to call "false advertising" on everything. And we were so close to getting over this, too...

• Options
    Mass Effect 3 was a really fun game with a less than spectacular ending.

There we go, that's all that should need to be said.

God I fucking hate the internet sometimes.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Yeah, I can agree with that. While it was messy and not up to Bioware's usual standards (and, now that I've experienced it, I'm a little glad that Bioware got convinced to expand on it but it's nothing I personally would demand), it was nowhere near bad and certainly not worth all the whining and rage coming from the very loud portion of the fanbase.

Though in a weird way, the fact that this particular mediocre ending got people worked up while the thousands of other mediocre endings in this biz generally merit an "oh, okay then" just proves how successful the other 99.9 percent of the Mass Effect games were. If people weren't so emotionally invested in the plot, game world, main character and other characters, they wouldn't have gotten so pissed at an ending that was less than mind-blowingly spectacular.

cloudeagle on
  • Options

God I fucking hate the internet sometimes.

This post covers my thought on this subject.

And now that everything that needs to be said has been said, I want to stop thinking about it.

• Options
    I thought it was interesting that the basis for KH2 actually only hinged on one very short segment from 1 yet that's the one plot point they give the least amount of attention to once they got to the sequel it seems.
    sora becoming a heartless is what creates Roxas and all that.

then in 2 you play as Roxas for the intro and the end of the intro is basically the end of that plotline. they could have done a lot more with that I think and there where hints of it with how Axel interacted with the main characters.

All the backstory for those characters is in 358/2 Days. So really what you see in KH2 is the end of that story. Or at least how it fits into the rest of KH2.

The way the whole story was laid out and presented to people is pretty needlessly confusing. But it's interesting!

JRPGs, everybody! And it's a wonder that they aren't so successful in the west anymore...

• Options

FFIX was criminally underrated, at release, after release, today. Vivi and Steiner are two of the best characters Square ever created.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Back of the ME3 box:
    Groundbreaking interactive storytelling drives the heart-pounding action in which each decision you make could have devastating and deadly consequences.

Keyword: Could. Turns out it didn't. No false advertising.

There. I just solved the controversy. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I'd just like to say that I really loved Legend of Dragoon. I still own two copies of it though so I'm not going to get the PSN release, but it's really nice that other people will get to play it now.

• Options
    On one hand, the fact that this ME3 thing just won't die is pretty telling of how popular the series is and how invested in it people are. On the other hand, Jesus Christ...the horse is dead. It's carcass is rotted, it's barely bones with a few clinging pieces of flesh now.

• Options
    Speaking of games some sectors love to hate:
    The lack of huge hits isn't the only culprit for low game sales at retail recently -- Call of Duty's "shortened tail" has also been a key factor, says PiperJaffray analyst Michael Olson.

He forecasts that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, the most recent entry from Activision's popular multiplatform first-person shooter franchise, isn't maintaining the same long tail with sales that 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops enjoyed.

Olson says that while Black Ops was the fifth largest selling title in March 2011 (four months after shipping), Modern Warfare 3 will likely be the eighth largest selling game in March 2012, and will sell less than half of what its predecessor pushed a year ago.

"We believe big name titles are no longer able to sustain 'fat tails.'" says the PiperJaffray analyst. This 'thinning tail' phenomenon is driven by 1) casual gamers leaving the market, 2) a steeper pre-sale and up-front curve, and 3) cannibalization from the pre-owned market."

Due to the shortened and thinned tail of Call of Duty, among other factors, Olson agrees with fellow analysts that The NPD Group will report a significant drop in software revenues at U.S. retail on Thursday, when it releases sales data for March 2012.

He predicts that software revenues fell by 26 percent year-over-year in March 2012 to $545 million -- Wedbush's Michael Pachter expects a 23 percent drop, Cowen and Co.'s Doug Creutz expects a 22 percent drop, and Sterne Agee's Arvind Bhatia expects a 25 to 30 percent drop.

All of the mentioned analysts concur that last month's releases, which include Mass Effect 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken, were weaker than the titles shipped in March 2011 (e.g. Pokemon Black/White, Dragon Age II), resulting in significantly lower software revenues from retail in March 2011.

If the analysts' predictions are correct, the game industry will have suffered four consecutive months of declining software revenues. Sterne Agee believes game sales will continue to endure a double-digit decline in April, but will improve in May thanks to big releases like Max Payne 3 and Diablo III.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168363/Call_of_Dutys_longterm_sales_effect_may_be_diminishing_says_analyst.php

Interesting. I wonder what's the cause... franchise fatigue? More frontloaded sales due to a ginormous marketing campaign and that season pass thing? MW3 sold better on release than CODBLOPS, right?
    When you read my intro you thought I was leading up to an Angry Birds article, didn't you. :P

This discussion has been closed.