Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

1909192939496»

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Hollywood still hasn't begun exploiting social games like Farmville. You know Zynga would have absolutely no problem with it.

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen as much Zynga merchandise as Angry Birds merchandise.

What surprises me is that Zynga still hasn't tried making actual characters to market.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    I would ask why they are making a new MK movie, but Hollywood is always willing to scoop up fairly average IPs past their prime to try and turn into huge hits.

So just like video game companies.

So did you just wake up from a year long nap or something? Because MK had a big series reboot last year that wound up being very popular, and was critically acclaimed.

Three million copies sold isn't that big nowadays.

From a certain angle, this sentence is the single most depressing thing about this industry.

3,000,000 x 60 = 180,000,000

When is 180 million not enough back?

When it's got expectations the size of Star Wars or Battlefield. Not sure about MK, though.

Also, what's up with Europeans getting movies early nowadays? It used to be they got them later, but Battleship and Avengers opened early there. And that's just the ones I know about.

Fuck-ton of HUGE sporting events coming up in Europe land, enough to eat into ones entertainment dollars I'd imagine so opening these huge films over there early seemed to be the way to maximize their profits.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    B
    Allforce wrote: »
    By the way the Battleship movie opened huge in Europe over the weekend, #1 in the majority of the 50 countries it debuted in, 130+ million dollars. It doesn't even come out in the US until the end of May.

So yeah, sequel incoming!

Bah...
    Hollywood doesnt care about Euro sales.

Also, that is... Is there nothing else out and people have money to burn?
    Think I need to go to D&D's film thread for this conversation.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

"Have you seen the kind of bullshit this guy gets away with? We could make anything and we'd never get fired! And it never has to be any good!"

Also, it's a real pity he figured out he was wasting 75% of his day doing nothing. Now he'll have that much more time to spend blowing smoke up people's asses about the ideas he never executes.

Molyneux is like the AntiNewell: too full of his own bullshit to let minor things like quality or reality to get in the way of his legend.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'll be making the new thread in about four hours, so refrain from doing so if this thread hits 3-4 more patches in that period.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KrossKross Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

"Have you seen the kind of bullshit this guy gets away with? We could make anything and we'd never get fired! And it never has to be any good!"

Also, it's a real pity he figured out he was wasting 75% of his day doing nothing. Now he'll have that much more time to spend blowing smoke up people's asses about the ideas he never executes.

Molyneux is like the AntiNewell: too full of his own bullshit to let minor things like quality or reality to get in the way of his legend.

Did Molyneux kill your dog?

edit to add substance: Do you expect him to be working on a project worth millions of dollars and tell people the experience will be average? If you don't like him or the products don't read the articles about him or buy the games. He's doing what he's supposed to.

If you read the Giant Bomb article that one is cannibalizing he explains more about why he's excited to work in a smaller studio. I think he's an alright guy and you seem pretty hostile.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/it-came-from-the-molyjam-peter-molyneux/4096/
    "You can only begin to imagine what that’s like when you’re working with a team of 150 people, where you’re so abstracted from the actual code phase of implementation that you’d literally explain an idea to someone, who explains it to a team of people, who then explains it to a team of people, and by the end, you think, “Who thought of that idea? It certainly wasn’t me.”"

Kross on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Kross wrote: »

Well......

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Convert those MK numbers into ticket sales and you can see why it's not that impressive relative to what is considered successful for an action film. Yes, the reboot was almost universally praised, but the couple hundred million Americans that never played it still think of Mortal Kombat as the silly game where the ice guy fights the fire guy and the lightning guy is a highlander.

It's not, in reality, a stupid IP to license, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the new game, and everything to do with the mass awareness it garnered well over a decade ago.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    You can never tell if these are legit.

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/gabe-newell-we-are-not-announcing-anything-at-e3.189989/
    We are not announcing anything at E3. Really. We are not announcing Half-Life 3 or Portal 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. We are going to be showing stuff everyone already knows about (CS:Go, Dota 2, 10' UI, ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtmnf7QlX_4

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Was all the info that came out about the Halo movie from that Generation XBOX book too? If so, I'll probably have to pick it up. I know the narrative of gaming is fundamentally different than the narrative of literature and movies, but they are still stories at the end of the day...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    nicely done, xray.

no way to know what's legit and what's not it seems. just gotta wait till e3!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Turkey wrote: »
    Kross wrote: »

Well......
    clap-gif.gif

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get where the whole "MK9 selling 3 million is not a success" thing is coming from.

I would say that 3 mil for a fighting game is pretty big.

Especially since fighting games aren't as budget intensive as most other genres.

There's also the fact that the new MK was such a success that it covered all the costs involved in Warner Brothers acquiring Midway in the first place. So it was a success in every sense of the word for Netherrealm.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Would you call it a flawless victory?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
This discussion has been closed.