As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    the primary function of the WoW API from the standpoint of the average player is governing what aspects of the game the UI can and cannot influence (mostly, macros and scripts.) I don't think there are any earthshattering changes coming down the pipe, but like anything I'm sure it gets updated fairly consistently.

ed: to clarify, lua is the actual language used to write various addons. Obviously lua and api are related, but not the same thing

I assume the idea behind the new forum is just to give them a place to consolidate dev feedback so that a lot of changes/fixes/updates can be put into one big push with the MoP release.

Hrm, ok.

So are in game mods going to be able to access their web data? Thats what it seems like most of the stuff in the API forum seems to be relating to; external applications/websites accessing information via blizzards websites via the new API. For instance, apparently you can access server AH data via the API, from Armory and whatnot?

I mean, it'd be awesome to access website features and information from internal mods; having wowhead or wowpedia in the game, would be glorious. But I'm feeling like it's not actually for UI stuff (hence needing a separate forum from the UI forum; the API forum is under "website and mobile feedback".

If its for apps that seems almost more confusing then; because they're giving information to players that would otherwise require subing to blizzards own app features. I mean, I doubt any user apps are going to allow you to actually use the AH from an app like blizzards app does; but still giving you the freedom to access AH data without logging on would be, while pretty cool, a feature blizz would want to protect.

This is all why I'm confused.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Anyway I generally like the open world battle zones, although TB did kind of suck compared to WG. I am sympathetic to people playing on unbalanced realms (horde on windrunner, alliance on cho'gall, etc), but at some point that's on you as a player. Some of these people in the general forum threads talk about how they've spent years and years getting dumped on by faction imbalance; reroll, you dumbasses. Or transfer. I realize it sucks but at some point you gotta look in the mirror.

[...]

No I mean, I get it. It's not exactly a design success. I'm just saying if you've been upset about faction imbalance for two expansions running and you haven't rerolled or transferred by now, it's kind of hard to remain sympathetic. It doesn't take that long to level a new character and gear it up.

Especially since faction imbalance is a pretty intractable problem on a game with so many servers and is unlikely to ever be "solved."
    How about half a dozen (or more for some people) characters? And leveling up all their professions? And getting back all that gold? Or spending over $100 to do the same? And convincing the people I play with to do the same? Totally reasonable.

I think those are the goosiest posts that have ever been made on these forums.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    that stuff didn't all just spring into existence.

My point is that you make a choice to play on a server; sure when you first subbed maybe you took whichever one it randomly spat at you, but at some point over the course of the 4-5 years in question it surely occurred to you that faction imbalance was impacting your gameplay. At what point does it stop being anyone else's fault that you chose to play on a server with a severe imbalance?

Moreover, your character history doesn't mean anything. I am somebody with 155 pets, 130something mounts and 11k+ achievement points on my main (probably over 12k once my various characters' cheevs get merged.) That stuff though? That's a sunk cost. If you aren't enjoying the game on your server because of faction imbalance, it's silly to stay no matter how much time you've put in there.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wonder if there would be some credible means of making it so that Garrosh's removal is a frame-up by Sylvanas.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I wonder if there would be some credible means of making it so that Garrosh's removal is a frame-up by Sylvanas.

I don't know why it wouldn't be; but is there something inherent in the Sylvanas/Garrosh relationship that would instigate this? It's not like Thrall was exactly super keen on how she behaved either, and he's the one to likely take back the mantle of warchief.

How would it further Sylvanas's pursuits?

I'm curious how long they're going to string out the forsaken thing. The end result is them leaving the horde, unless something drastic happens to Sylvanas to change her tune or take her out of the picture. It's always been clear she's just using the Horde for protection so she can seek her own goals. As soon as they are no longer useful to her (and with the Valk'yr it would appear that is more or less the current situation), there's no reason to stay in the Horde. At this point the Horde itself has less of a reason to put up with the Forsaken than they, the Horde.

I mean, they can't just say "new faction!" like that; they'll have to figure out some way for player characters who are forsaken to remain in the Horde; but as a faction, they've gotta go; it has made less and less sense post Wrathgate that they're still in. The events of the Cataclysm along with questlines in various zones relating to them, just hammers it in.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've always liked the theory that they could bring in Calia Menethil as a Forsaken to replace Sylvannas.

Calia is the sister of Arthas, and rightful heir to Lordaeron now that he and their father is dead. Her fate is completely unknown (though the RPG guidebook that was later declared non-canon hinted that she was trapped in Undercity), so you could make her a Forsaken and have her show up prior to Sylvannas becoming a loot pinata. She could be a more benevolent ruler (to be a better team player in the Horde) while bringing more legitimacy to the Forsaken's right to be there, but would have a huge amount of stigma and distrust around her due to the fact that she's the sister of the Lich King (leading to the Forsaken retaining their stand-offish position even if their new leader is working better with the Horde).

Plus until the introduction of Lillian Voss, Calia was like the only possible female replacement for Sylvannas. And who would win the Valentine's city leader competition thing if they replaced Sylvannas with a dude? (Actually, does the Valentine's holiday even still have that city leader thing?)

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular

I don't know why it wouldn't be; but is there something inherent in the Sylvanas/Garrosh relationship that would instigate this?

I'm sure she chafes at all the restrictions he's placed on her not to mention all the guards and that's not even getting into the way he treats her. Thrall at least tried to appear diplomatic about things. Garrosh straight up treats her like a dog on a very short leash that he likes to choke up now and then. She'd probably loooove to plant a poisoned knife is his back.

• Options
    But it was Thrall that put the guards in Undercity and put many of the restrictions on research and stuff on her; not Garrosh. Garrosh is straight up about how much he doesn't like her or the forsaken; but the things you mention were Thralls doing, not Garroshes.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm just remembering the questing I did in Silverpine. Garrosh was an insufferable jerk whenever he showed up and he disrespected her in front of her troops. He's got people keeping close tabs on her too. I'd be pissed if I was her.

Edit: Plus Thrall didn't rub her face in it the way Garrosh does.

Now that she has the Val'kyr she's getting to a point where she might feel she doesn't need the Horde anymore, especially if Garrosh keeps on making enemies from within. I'm pretty sure Vol'jin isn't happy with him either.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Yeah, there's no question that Garrosh is an ass to the point of being a caricature. I have a hard time believing he was put on the throne for any other reason to set up for him to take a fall at a later plot point; that being MoP. His nearly one redeeming act in the questline in Stonetalon doesn't make up for all the incredibly stupid and assholeish things he does constantly.

By the way, I'm not trying to argue that anyone is wrong, or that somehow Sylvanis won't be the catalyst to taking him down; somehow...I just am not really seeing a way to connect the dots right now. I mean, at this point, Baine and/or Vol'jin have more reason to be on his case than Sylvanis. He was a dick to her in Silverpine, but uh...she deserved it.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    that stuff didn't all just spring into existence.

My point is that you make a choice to play on a server; sure when you first subbed maybe you took whichever one it randomly spat at you, but at some point over the course of the 4-5 years in question it surely occurred to you that faction imbalance was impacting your gameplay. At what point does it stop being anyone else's fault that you chose to play on a server with a severe imbalance?
    Actually, Hellscream was pretty even until WotLK, and it wasn't until about halfway through WotLK (so basically over 5 years after I rolled on the server) when things started going noticeably downhill. Hell, before cross-server BGs, Horde actually did better so you wanted to be Horde for the first few years.

So your final question doesn't even make sense.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    the primary function of the WoW API from the standpoint of the average player is governing what aspects of the game the UI can and cannot influence (mostly, macros and scripts.) I don't think there are any earthshattering changes coming down the pipe, but like anything I'm sure it gets updated fairly consistently.

ed: to clarify, lua is the actual language used to write various addons. Obviously lua and api are related, but not the same thing

I assume the idea behind the new forum is just to give them a place to consolidate dev feedback so that a lot of changes/fixes/updates can be put into one big push with the MoP release.

Hrm, ok.

So are in game mods going to be able to access their web data? Thats what it seems like most of the stuff in the API forum seems to be relating to; external applications/websites accessing information via blizzards websites via the new API. For instance, apparently you can access server AH data via the API, from Armory and whatnot?

I mean, it'd be awesome to access website features and information from internal mods; having wowhead or wowpedia in the game, would be glorious. But I'm feeling like it's not actually for UI stuff (hence needing a separate forum from the UI forum; the API forum is under "website and mobile feedback".

If its for apps that seems almost more confusing then; because they're giving information to players that would otherwise require subing to blizzards own app features. I mean, I doubt any user apps are going to allow you to actually use the AH from an app like blizzards app does; but still giving you the freedom to access AH data without logging on would be, while pretty cool, a feature blizz would want to protect.

This is all why I'm confused.
    The API stuff that's popped up in the last few months is for out-of-game use of in-game information. Previously the type of info provided was gathered by loading up the armory page and then parsing the resulting xml file which meant a ton of wasted bandwidth on Blizzard's end. Websites (and apps) want data like your gear, your achievements, or your reputation to use for doing stuff like figuring out the best way to reforge your gear, the amount of people who have a specific achievement across the game, and how long it'll take for you to get to the next rep level. The API was put in place so those websites now can just get the data that they need rather than the whole shebang. The API setup also allows Blizzard to control who has access to that data and how often they get to ask for it by requiring websites to request API keys to unlock the ability to make more than like 5 requests an hour or whatever the tiny default is. They also enforce that your website/app is open source and free to use before they cough up the key.

To be clear: this doesn't affect in in-game UI modding stuff at all. There's no plans to allow anything inside the game to access stuff outside of the game.

• Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    If they merge everything into "megaservers" questing will be hell.

Could always do what swtor does and have instanced areas, with a cap on the amount of people allowed in each instance before it makes another.

You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Heirloom pants are up on the guild vendor in beta, and the Vendor Mammoth sells the Dust of Disappearance and respec books for 12 gold.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Is there a mobile reforger?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    funny what you have hanging in your screen shots folder

this was WG on cho'gal

wowscrnshot041809233454b.jpg

and 51k isn't even that high since I was BM.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    this is rumored to be calia menethil

http://www.wowwiki.com/Calia_Hastings

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Still just 2 zones in beta right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Sure, but a storyline that interesting is pretty much guaranteed to take place entirely in a book or comic with no acknowledgement in the game.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    this is rumored to be calia menethil

http://www.wowwiki.com/Calia_Hastings

This seems like a pretty gigantic leap. Nothing she says or does even remotely hints at it. She shares the same first name, and that's entirely it.

And the thing from wowpedia (you linked wiki /spit) sounds as convincing as half the ways people "prove" Half-Life 3 is going to be announced:
    It is theorized by some that Calia Hastings is the former princess of Lordaeron, Calia Menethil. This would mean she married someone named Hastings, assumed a new surname in exile, or took her mother's surname.

More hints to this theory can be found by comparing their last names. The coinciding letters of Hastings and Menethil, h, t, i and n, form the word "hint". Also, the two names each have eight letters.

She's been there since TBC. It's a stretch to think she is more than she appears.

Usually with this sort of thing, if she was someone special there would be some more obvious hint. Blizzard isn't exactly subtle with this sort of thing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Sure, but a storyline that interesting is pretty much guaranteed to take place entirely in a book or comic with no acknowledgement in the game.

And a story that interesting would actually not even be in Metzen's mind in the first place. I dunno, I just feel like Sylvanas is ambitious enough to pull a stunt like that. She's not the most noble of leaders, but she's also not outright evil. That's why she stands out so much.

In other news, I forgot how fucking hysterical Hillsbrad is in Cataclysm.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had an idea that does tie up some loose ends about garrosh and some of the people who question who he is
    Garona says he does not smell like any orc she has known and Zaela says she has never seen an orc like him {and she was ruled by Fel orcs for a time} and where is Saurfang he sais he would kill Garrosh if he even thought about taking the horde this way

I have tons of ideas about how it should go but making it mesh together and make sense will take some more thought

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I had an idea that does tie up some loose ends about garrosh and some of the people who question who he is
    Garona says he does not smell like any orc she has known and Zaela says she has never seen an orc like him {and she was ruled by Fel orcs for a time} and where is Saurfang he sais he would kill Garrosh if he even thought about taking the horde this way

I have tons of ideas about how it should go but making it mesh together and make sense will take some more thought
    They could just be speaking about how remarkable he is, or whatever. I doubt Metzen has been lining up this "SURPRISE NEW SUPER VILLAIN" thing.

• Options
    No I mean there is so many people who just don't like him and others who have a lot of doubt he is an orc because he is both roid rage and cry in a fire garrosh in Northrend. Vol'jin is the only person who is still in game who needs little provacation to shank Garrosh

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    No I mean there is so many people who just don't like him and others who have a lot of doubt he is an orc because he is both roid rage and cry in a fire garrosh in Northrend. Vol'jin is the only person who is still in game who needs little provacation to shank Garrosh

My worry is about who comes after Garrosh. Unless they just reinstate Thrall as leader.

• Options
    Thrall is a copout
    I really have no idea who it should be though

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Gamon?

• Options
    My vote is Johnny Awesome.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    It's gonna be Thrall. Metzen loves Thrall too much to not do it. Or...surprise ending, Garrosh and Varian kill each other in combat and both sides are now led by opposing Pandas. I don't really like Garrosh or Varian, but I don't hate them as much as everyone else seems to. I do, however, wish that Voljin would get a bigger role to play. I really wish they'd improve the Troll storyline. I feel like there's so much more they could do.

Also, regarding the new sets up at MMO Champ, I really like that plate set, but I think the cloth and leather sets look pretty shitty. I don't think there's been a leather set that I really liked since the Alliance T9 or the early WotLK PvP set that was kind of red and white with the ninja looking mask.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    My vote is Johnny Awesome.

They killed Twinkles!

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Garrosh dies, his axe drops to the ground. The group of victorious adventurers walk away, arms full of loot. Thrall walks over, examines Garrosh's corpse. The ghost of Grom Hellscream comes out from the axe. He whispers to Thrall.

"There must always be a Hellscream."

"Then these shoulderpads must be mine to wear."

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    It's gonna be Thrall. Metzen loves Thrall too much to not do it. Or...surprise ending, Garrosh and Varian kill each other in combat and both sides are now led by opposing Pandas. I don't really like Garrosh or Varian, but I don't hate them as much as everyone else seems to. I do, however, wish that Voljin would get a bigger role to play. I really wish they'd improve the Troll storyline. I feel like there's so much more they could do.

Also, regarding the new sets up at MMO Champ, I really like that plate set, but I think the cloth and leather sets look pretty shitty. I don't think there's been a leather set that I really liked since the Alliance T9 or the early WotLK PvP set that was kind of red and white with the ninja looking mask.

There aren't really any Orc characters poised to step up to Warchief so it probably has to be Thrall. Nazgrim is the only one I can think of but it's a huge promotion for him.

• Options
    Well if they still put in the horror of that should not be naMED'ANd make him warchief or something else let alone put him in game I will be very upset

• Options
    They should make Saurfang warchief. Thrall should go do Shamany type stuff with the Earthen Ring and stare at his navel.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I could live with Saurfang as the chief.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    815165 wrote: »

There aren't really any Orc characters poised to step up to Warchief so it probably has to be Thrall. Nazgrim is the only one I can think of but it's a huge promotion for him.

He is a General at the start of MoP, I don't know if there even is a rank between that and Warchief. They could build his role up some more in the course of the expansion. I guess an easy way would be to mirror the Garrosh/Saurfang situation in WotLK with Nazgrim taking Saurfangs role as the good guy questgiver. Then he gets fed up with Garrosh's bullshit and sends the players on a questline to uncover whatever it is that makes us kill Garrosh. Then we kill Garrosh or, to make the transition smoother, we just help Nazgrim kill Garrosh in the last raid of MoP and tada: The Warchief is dead, long live the Warchief!

/edit: Ok, in the old PvP ranks we had Warlord and High Warlord above General. But as Nazgrim somehow jumped 5 ranks from Sergeant (LK) to Legionnaire (Cata) and then another 4 ranks to General (MoP) it's really not a big deal if he gets promoted a bit more in some patch.

Grobian on
  • Options
    As for the pvp ranks comming back
    They really should have given nicknames like
    name the bloodthirsty
    name the slayer

And so on
    I felt very put out when I saw people with the title I busted my ass for way back in vanilla

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

That's been one of my major major problems with the Horde storyline since late WotLK. We get interesting Orc characters...but they get abandoned after you leave the zone or they end up dead/as dungeon bosses.

Quite frankly, I'll be shocked if Nazgrim isn't a raid boss in the Siege of Orgrimmar.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I dunno man, Nazgrim has been such a hero so far I really hope he's on our side.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I dunno man, Nazgrim has been such a hero so far I really hope he's on our side.

I had the same hopes for Saurfang the Younger, and Garrosh in early Cata questing (along with his short story and appearance in the Shattering Novel).

Look where those ended up or are going to end up.

This discussion has been closed.