As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Bet you it's Me'dan. /shudder

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Medan is half draenei, half orc, right? I could live with Medan being in the game if he unites the Alliance and the Horde and puts an end to the faction nonsense.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Medan is half draenei, half orc, right? I could live with Medan being in the game if he unites the Alliance and the Horde and puts an end to the faction nonsense.

half human, quarter draenei, quarter orc. He's also a mage that multiclassed into shaman and paladin.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Rexxar is still out there right? They didnt retcon his ass too did they?

• Options
    He's still out there, but the last time he did anything was as a mostly nonspeaking role during the elemental invasion in Orgrimmar (his questchains in TBC were really nice though). The problem is unless they really rewrite his character he'd have no interest in the current Horde.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Garrosh dies, his axe drops to the ground. The group of victorious adventurers walk away, arms full of loot. Thrall walks over, examines Garrosh's corpse. The ghost of Grom Hellscream comes out from the axe. He whispers to Thrall.

"There must always be a Hellscream."

"Then these shoulderpads must be mine to wear."

You're good at this. You should be lead writer for the next expansion.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Does the new Orc leader necessarily have to be the Warchief of the Horde? Couldn't it be the orcs get a new racial leader, but the overall Horde leadership goes to Baine or Vol'jin? (Kill Varian and pass the leadership to the dwarves or something while you're at it).

Though really, I'd prefer if both sides basically just each had a leadership council where all their racial leaders were equal instead of one guy on each side outranking the others. The dwarves kind of mess that up since they have 3 leaders though (and Night Elves basically have 2).

Regardless I imagine Varian won't die and will continue to be the Grand Poobah of the Alliance and whatever Orc replaces Garrosh will automatically be Warchief of the Horde.

I just really, really hope it's not Thrall. Let it be Saurfang even if he is old, or Rexxar even if he is running his own tribe in Outland. Heck, let it be Drek'thar even though he's in a wheelchair (or Galvangar with Drek'thar advising him I guess since they probably won't want Alliance raids attacking a guy in a wheelchair). I'd even accept a never-before-mentioned son of Doomhammer (though that may be redundant since Garrosh was basically a never-before-mentioned son of Grom when he showed up, though he didn't get warchief position until years after his introduction). You could even go with current Garrosh having not been the real Garrosh since sometime during WotLK and so have the real Garrosh take over when the fake one is defeated. Just don't let it be Thrall again (but of course it will be).

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Baine could definitely grow to be a good Warchief one day, I think they're setting it up so him and Anduin take power at roughly the same time.

I think short term it probably would have to be an Orc, though, unless there's really big swings in the dynamics of the Horde I dunno how willing the Orcs would be to accept a non-Orcy Warchief.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    For Garrosh they have an easy out to explain any demonic taint or whatever he ends up with to make the final raid of the expansion take place in an existing area so the artists don't have to make any new world models. That's to say, when he disappears on your way to Twilight Highlands because he's some sort of ADD idiot who can't resist a fight. He just kinda pops back up in Org without much fanfare after a bunch of the NPCs you talk to while taking over the orc port talk about how he's missing. It'd be easy for Blizz to go "oh, the real Garrosh was killed like a chump when he suicidally went off by himself and was replace by a shapeshifted demon. Let's just say it's that one from Wrath (Mal'ganis I think?) that we never did anything with. Two storybirds with one stone!"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Garrosh dies, his axe drops to the ground. The group of victorious adventurers walk away, arms full of loot. Thrall walks over, examines Garrosh's corpse. The ghost of Grom Hellscream comes out from the axe. He whispers to Thrall.

"There must always be a Hellscream."

"Then these shoulderpads must be mine to wear."

Dibby you son of a bitch, well done. <3

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    My vote is Johnny Awesome.

They killed Twinkles!

jennyawesomedolly.jpg

• Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    well, did LFR today again, found it to be much more sane
    I guess it's best to do it on reset day ^^

edit: also got the valor cloak and I wonder if it is worth to enchant it, the only relevant dps enchant to me is the +65 crit one, which is by far my weakest stat (frost DK), but at around 1k to 1.5k it's by far the most expensive enchant on my server

Enosh20 on
  • Options
    815165 wrote: »
    Baine could definitely grow to be a good Warchief one day, I think they're setting it up so him and Anduin take power at roughly the same time.

I think short term it probably would have to be an Orc, though, unless there's really big swings in the dynamics of the Horde I dunno how willing the Orcs would be to accept a non-Orcy Warchief.

Baine's big problem is that his characterization so far has been one of appeasement. He exiled Magatha when he could have had her executed, he gave water to the quilboar to try to appease them, the same quilboar that turned around later and killed characters in the starting zone. Oh, and he had absolutely nothing to do with the situation in Southern Barrens which had a Tauren camp wiped out and Northwatch troops flinging ballista bolts at the Mulgore gate.

• Options
    I'm so shit at this Plants vs. Zombies thing. But I guess it isn't helping that half the time I click on sun power, it doesn't register properly.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Better surprise ending:

Garrosh turns out to be trolling the world, and never was corrupt to begin with. He was just playing the part so that he could get close to all the corrupt elements and cut the head off in one swoop.

The Siege is just the distraction/excuse he needs to get them all together in one place. The players end up battling through Orgrimmar, and eventually get to his bunker... only to find that he's already killed them all and has stacked their bodies up to make a nice footrest for his throne. He's got his feet up and sipping on a tankard of ale when the players arrive.

The soldiers they fought through on the way there? Just illusions conjured up by Medan. Everyone who "died" on the way in is fine, too.

Where the real Orc soldiers are? They're pulling a joint Order 66 with Blood Elf forces on the Undercity. Turns out Theron (remember him?) was sick of never getting into any story-lines and still harbored his real hate-on for the Scourge, and was sick of watching Sylvannas/The Forsaken turn into The Bitch Queen/Scourge 2.0.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Enosh20 wrote: »
    well, did LFR today again, found it to be much more sane
    I guess it's best to do it on reset day ^^

edit: also got the valor cloak and I wonder if it is worth to enchant it, the only relevant dps enchant to me is the +65 crit one, which is by far my weakest stat (frost DK), but at around 1k to 1.5k it's by far the most expensive enchant on my server
    Just get the +50 crit enchant. It's cheap and you'll only lose maybe 25 DPS from not using +65 crit.

• Options
    23 Madness kills on my DK. Last night I called a drop of rogue daggers, Maws, and the hunter bow. Two Maws and two bows dropped, so that was a pretty good guess on my part. Fuck you, Ghostcrawler.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Better surprise ending:

Garrosh turns out to be trolling the world, and never was corrupt to begin with. He was just playing the part so that he could get close to all the corrupt elements and cut the head off in one swoop.

The Siege is just the distraction/excuse he needs to get them all together in one place. The players end up battling through Orgrimmar, and eventually get to his bunker... only to find that he's already killed them all and has stacked their bodies up to make a nice footrest for his throne. He's got his feet up and sipping on a tankard of ale when the players arrive.

The soldiers they fought through on the way there? Just illusions conjured up by Medan. Everyone who "died" on the way in is fine, too.

Where the real Orc soldiers are? They're pulling a joint Order 66 with Blood Elf forces on the Undercity. Turns out Theron (remember him?) was sick of never getting into any story-lines and still harbored his real hate-on for the Scourge, and was sick of watching Sylvannas/The Forsaken turn into The Bitch Queen/Scourge 2.0.

Comes from almost no where and marginalizes the players contributions to the extreme, all while bringing a huge Mary Sue character into the game for the first time! If we can put the build up in to it in a book I think we have a winner!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Theron?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apparently there is a bug that allows one player to transmog gear for another player.

People have already taken it to it's logical conclusion and have Death Knights running around wielding the Corrupted Ashbringer and wearing Warrior T3 (both from level 60 Naxx).

I wonder what's in store for these players when Blizzard fixes it?
    Do they get to keep it? Does the transmog effect get erased? Or do they just get an old fashioned banning? I'm betting on the transmog effect being erased, and the owners of Corrupted Ashbringer (or other desirable items) who are providing the copies receiving temp bans.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Theron?

If this isn't a joke, he's talking about the belf leader :P

I seriously had to think about it too.

Lars wrote: »
    Apparently there is a bug that allows one player to transmog gear for another player.

People have already taken it to it's logical conclusion and have Death Knights running around wielding the Corrupted Ashbringer and wearing Warrior T3 (both from level 60 Naxx).

I wonder what's in store for these players when Blizzard fixes it?
    Do they get to keep it? Does the transmog effect get erased? Or do they just get an old fashioned banning? I'm betting on the transmog effect being erased, and the owners of Corrupted Ashbringer (or other desirable items) who are providing the copies receiving temp bans.

Hrm, I don't see a post about it on the bug forum, but I'd guess temp bans.

• Options
    I vaguely remembered Blizzard promisng Lor'themar Theron would do something notable in Cataclysm, but didn't remember them ever making good on that, so I looked it up real quick.

During the Cataclysm beta, soundfiles were found that indicated that Benedictus was a Twilight Cultist and traitor to the Alliance. This would all be revealed in the plotline leading to the Twilight Highlands for Alliance players. They ultimately changed that and went with some random guy as the traitor. I remembered this, so Benedictus later turning out to be a traitor during Hour of Twilight was no surprise at all.

What I didn't remember was that on the Horde side, Grand Magister Rommath was originally going to be the traitor (he's the blood elf mage that stands next to Lor'themar Theron and was good friends with Kael'thas) and that he was going to have some kind of altercation with Lor'themar. They switched him out for some random orc from Northrend instead.

I guess that was probably going to be Lor'themar's moment in the sun they were mentioning, and then they cut it out. Since they eventually reused the traitorous Benedictus plotline, I wonder if we can look forward to Rommath betraying the Horde sometime in the near future? Perhaps they're saving it for a Burning Legion plotline (or an opportunity to revive Kael'thas for Round 3: Setback Harder).

• Options
    I vaguely remembered Blizzard promisng Lor'themar Theron would do something notable in Cataclysm, but didn't remember them ever making good on that, so I looked it up real quick.

During the Cataclysm beta, soundfiles were found that indicated that Benedictus was a Twilight Cultist and traitor to the Alliance. This would all be revealed in the plotline leading to the Twilight Highlands for Alliance players. They ultimately changed that and went with some random guy as the traitor. I remembered this, so Benedictus later turning out to be a traitor during Hour of Twilight was no surprise at all.

What I didn't remember was that on the Horde side, Grand Magister Rommath was originally going to be the traitor (he's the blood elf mage that stands next to Lor'themar Theron and was good friends with Kael'thas) and that he was going to have some kind of altercation with Lor'themar. They switched him out for some random orc from Northrend instead.

I guess that was probably going to be Lor'themar's moment in the sun they were mentioning, and then they cut it out. Since they eventually reused the traitorous Benedictus plotline, I wonder if we can look forward to Rommath betraying the Horde sometime in the near future? Perhaps they're saving it for a Burning Legion plotline (or an opportunity to revive Kael'thas for Round 3: Setback Harder).

At this point Kael'thas would be floating rotten head with glowing crystals hovering around him.

And honestly at this point I've pretty much lost faith that Blizzard is going to do anything good with Horde characters that are not named "Thrall"

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

At this point Kael'thas would be floating rotten head with glowing crystals hovering around him.

And honestly at this point I've pretty much lost faith that Blizzard is going to do anything good with Horde characters that are not named "Thrall"

Oh man they did kill that guy Cairne though.

... No wait that sucked.

They did make the troll leader tell Grommash off to his face. But... oh, nothing came of that.

... Uh, hey Sylvanas! She's building up her empire and... no, wait, they left that hanging too.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    They did make the troll leader tell Grommash off to his face. But... oh, nothing came of that.

... Uh, hey Sylvanas! She's building up her empire and... no, wait, they left that hanging too.

If only they'd resolve every plot right away.

815165 on
  • Options

Not asking for resolution, but at least string things along to let us see it hasn't been dropped off the face of the planet. Because they've done it before. WoW is kind of notorious for starting things it never finished.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The Sylvanas plot is going to end up with us killing her in a raid / event, anyway.

Or maybe we can read about it in a novel.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Don't forget Trade Prince Gallywix, who cannot be found anywhere in the game after the goblin starting zone (though he apparently has voice files for being attacked and killing players and such, presumably for if Alliance raided him). I assumed they were waiting until they finished his unique model before introducing him to the open world, but then that never happened.

Of course, Thrall appointing Gallywix as the goblin faction leader never made much sense in the first place. Maybe he'll side with Garrosh and we kill him in the Orgrimmar raid and then Boss Mida can take over (since the player-character goblin can't, despite the fact that storywise they would have been the far more logical choice for Thrall to make leader).

• Options
    The Sylvanas plot is going to end up with us killing her in a raid / event, anyway.

Or maybe we can read about it in a novel.

You actually managed to hit on one of my major problems with the Horde storyline in Cata/Mists.

When we get an interesting character, they go evil and get killed off. This is a recurring theme with Horde characters going back to TBC.

Don't forget Trade Prince Gallywix, who cannot be found anywhere in the game after the goblin starting zone (though he apparently has voice files for being attacked and killing players and such, presumably for if Alliance raided him). I assumed they were waiting until they finished his unique model before introducing him to the open world, but then that never happened.

Of course, Thrall appointing Gallywix as the goblin faction leader never made much sense in the first place. Maybe he'll side with Garrosh and we kill him in the Orgrimmar raid and then Boss Mida can take over (since the player-character goblin can't, despite the fact that storywise they would have been the far more logical choice for Thrall to make leader).

They should never have had Thrall appoint Gallywix as the faction leader, it would have been much more interesting, in character, and amusing, if it turned out Gallywix had bribed his way back into control once Thrall left.

• Options
    That's one thing I hate about Blizzard. Character flaws make great characters, not reasons to kill the characters. Sylvanas is my great fear. She used to be a bland brooding villain. Now she wants to genuinely have her people thrive. She doesn't have the best means, but it's a fairly reasoned goal. This would make a great lasting character in any other series, but in this case, it's like... one day, they're going to kill her for being a 'bad guy.'

• Options
    edited May 2012
    That's one thing I hate about Blizzard. Character flaws make great characters, not reasons to kill the characters. Sylvanas is my great fear. She used to be a bland brooding villain. Now she wants to genuinely have her people thrive. She doesn't have the best means, but it's a fairly reasoned goal. This would make a great lasting character in any other series, but in this case, it's like... one day, they're going to kill her for being a 'bad guy.'

The big problem with Sylvanas is that they've pretty much written her into a corner. They had an interesting "redemption" hook for her in TBC that they promptly threw out.

EDIT: on a side note, last night we were working on DS, when our GM disconnected mid-run and didn't come back on. The other officers couldn't get a hold of him via text/phone.

This afternoon there's a message on the guildsite that he stepped down and quit the guild :\

Nobody on
  • Options

There are plenty of plots that get forgotten with no real way to resolve them anymore, though.

For example, ever since 2.3 it has been a part of the backstory for Hex Lord Malacrass that he is the one who bound the loa (animal gods) to the other bosses, but that he "kept the darkest one for himself." Yet he's the only boss in ZA that doesn't transform and whatever loa he bound to himself is never revealed. Theories as to what he was bound to included Hakkar (in an attempt to bring him back) or Ula'tek (the snake god who has a shrine in Zul'Aman according to some old WC2 map or something), but nothing ever hints at what it was supposed to be. Even when they brought him back for Cataclysm it still isn't revealed but this part of his backstory was retained and even put into the Dungeon Journal.

The only real way that's getting resolved is if they bring him back a third time, which seems unlikely.

• Options
    I really enjoyed the quest line in the game that resolved the Nightmare in the Emerald Dream storyline from vanilla.

• Options
    I really enjoyed the quest line in the game that resolved the Nightmare in the Emerald Dream storyline from vanilla.

... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a second!

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular

Not asking for resolution, but at least string things along to let us see it hasn't been dropped off the face of the planet. Because they've done it before. WoW is kind of notorious for starting things it never finished.

I'm pretty sure Vol'jin will be involved when Garrosh gets it, either in cinematics or in the actual encounter. That exchange is way too fresh and well-known for Blizzard to sweep it under the rug. I'd hope so, at least.

Maybe not the next Warchief, but Vol'jin is probably deserving of a promotion.

Also I'd say it's very unlikely that Thrall will return to lead the Horde after being a neutral hero for the whole expansion. My guess is Saurfang or maybe even Rexxar, with our favorite shadow hunter a distant third.

• Options
    Where does Vol'jin tell off Garrosh? Is that in a quest or something?

• Options
    He has a hologram of the conversation that he shows off to newly rolled trolls.

• Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really don't see blizzard killing Sylvanas any time soon.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Patch 5.3.2.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I loved that they finished the Neptulon storyline. Nothing was left hanging and all loose ends were wrapped up.

LOL WAIT A MINUTE

Yeah I'm pretty much never gonna let that one go. Unless they're planning to bring that back for I dunno, the Azshara expansion or something. One can hope, right?

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
This discussion has been closed.