As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Still, even if it was only 1% more damage, I'm so far past the avoidance cap that I'd trade .04% mastery for more damage. I only started using the spike at the 15% buff. There's no reason to not do more damage if you can. Heroics go faster, LFR goes faster, I beat lazy DPSers while tanking in the raids, and I like having a spike.

Samphis on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    arguably in dragon soul you should starting gemming stamina at least partially; most of the big hits in the instance are magical or otherwise non-avoidable, and there's no tank-crushing melee monster like cho'gall or baleroc to make you really want avoidance.

there's blackhorn, but he's only really dangerous (for tanks) in the last 25% or so of his health and you can get through that with cooldown rotations.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    What kind of gear, exactly, are you in, that you are "so far past the avoidance cap"?

Because in full LFR/397 valor gear on my warrior I'm not even at 100% and that is gemmed/reforged to entirely avoidance/mitigation. My pally is higher but it's easier to get there, and he doesn't have the Madness sword which actually hurts your unhittable numbers.

Even in entirely 378 dungeon gear you should be just at the 102.4% numbers.

I'd like to see your character sheet for those numbers.

And I'm not seeing anywhere anything but a terrible theorycrafting post on wowhead for this. Nothing on EJ, nothing on tankspot (EDIT: maintankadin either). I would be quite interested in where you're getting this info.

EDIT: But yeah, if you're just somehow well above the unhittable cap might as well go stamina for magical damage. I certainly wouldn't go for threat or a miniscule amount of dps. Paladins get nothing past the block cap for mastery, so if you're just in crazy diminishing returns area on dodge/parry, stamina there. For warriors mastery isn't wasted.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, I'm a paladin in full 397ish with a 410 weapon. Mastery is useless past the cap for me.

Some of my gems need to be replaced badly, and I'm not sure I logged out in my tank gear, but here you go:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sentinels/kalorie/

I should probably switch up trinkets.

I'm only talking about the shield spike. I am not gemming for threat or enchanting for DPS. Past cap, a little more damage is more valuable than wasted mastery for me, and Reforgelite keeps my avoidance stats topped as close to the cap as possible.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah that's dps gear, so I dunno.

Paladin is about the only class that should ever be in a "well over 102.4% territory".

I mean I could probably stand to switch some of my fractured gems for more puissant's and reforge dodge/parry into mastery to make up the difference and lose some avoidance for more health but...it's just a tradeoff, one isn't explicitly better than the other; and at most I'd be gaining a few thousand health. at most.

but I still stand firm on my stance of zero point to switching to something like a shield spike (and yeah, titanium should be better than pyrium because it's not "a chance") for more dps. Not my job and no matter what I'd either be sacrificing avoidance or health, even if I'm at 102.4, and it's not worth the tradeoff to me. But you're right; that small amount of mastery isn't gonna make a huge difference and it's not a massive deal if you use a spike instead I suppose. But more mastery via enchantment means more wiggle room to reforge into avoidance.

I have no doubt this will all be an entirely different conversation in MoP because this shit is never consistent.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I just logged in and put on my tank gear if you want to check again. I've also killed Deathwing like six times and other than Mor'chok, probably won't be doing any more heroics, so the shield spike is probably gonna stay on there. If Blackhorn would drop his version of the shield, I'd be able to replace the LFR one.

Samphis on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    tank damage is absolutely relevant in dragon soul (really, in every instance.)

getting 40k+ dps from your tanks (combined) is a huge advantage on ultraxion; the biggest change we made while we were learning it was having our OT swap out to half DPS gear. There's no reason to max out survivability necessarily; you only need to be durable enough for your healers to handle. Past that you might as well be trying to end the fight faster.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I started using the shield spike for Alysrazor, and it stuck ever since.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Just out of curiosity @Samphis why are you using the Soulshifter Vortex? You don't need the Mastery, and the stamina is ok but even the proc on something like Indomitable Pride would benefit you more, hell, even the Valor trinket since it can be reforged and can be used as a mini-cooldown would benefit you more.

EDIT: Actually I'm not even sure why I'm using it on my pally. he should have indomitable pride on. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2012
    edit: Nevermind, I was tanking AV with those on with some PVP gear. I guess I forgot to swap them.

Samphis on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Heh, that reminds me of a pally who managed to piss off all the raiders on my server because he started talking about how great he was on the forums and how his previous guild couldn't realize it.

He spent half the thread defending wearing the Soulshifter vortex as a Paladin tank >.<

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wonder what kind of technical hurdle it'd be to remove the raid requirement from those old world raids, or even raids in general.

Is there a practical reason why it's still in place, or what?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is no hurdle, as it was something they added to the game. I remember being able to enter raids solo no problem at least back in Vanilla. I honestly can't remember when they added the restriction, but it was likely because of some exploit to get a lot of cash.

They'e nerfing money from bosses so it scales per-player, so I don't see why it's still in there.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I figured as much, I mostly wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's definitely one of the most antiquated mechanics left

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    They added raid restrictions starting with ZG if my memory holds. MC and BWL--both who have entrances inside of dungeons as well--do not have a raid restrictions while everything afterwards did and still do (I haven't been to AQ lately, but I'm pretty sure both AQ10 and AQ40 both still have their raid restrictions and I know TBC raids still have it since I can't get in to see Kael without being in a raid).

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Are you sure about MC and BWL not having raid restrictions?

EDIT: As far as I was aware, green portal was one of the colors that meant "must be in a raid to enter"

Javen on
  • Options
    I can't speak for BWL for sure, but yeah, MC doesn't require a raid anymore. BWL makes sense due to what @Opty said, that it's inside of an instance.

• Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    You can enter MC solo if you talk to the blood elf fellow outside of the portal. You also might be able to walk in through BRD but I am not entirely sure about that. I definitely have entered solo (yesterday) just by talking to the dude outside

I leveled Inscription via wow-professions.com, was fast and incredibly easy. Luckily the faire was still up so I could avoid the last 5 points and not have to deal with the immense bullshit of it. I have a druid I leveled to 85 (my main is a warlock) and I made her double gatherer and managed to get enough herbs from just leveling to not bother needing to farm them - which was fantastically lucky.

I've also made a boatload of cash leveling Inscription which is incredibly awesome and ridiculous at the same time. On my server (Mannaroth) gylph of blink or sinister strike go for near 300g and they are so easy to make. Get auctioneer and wewp welcome the cash flow.

Very excited that in 1-3 weeks we might see the patch go through. I kinda doubt it, though, considering the sweeping numbers changes on beta atm

• Options
    So they just increased the xp to level 85-90 by about 50% each level on beta.

Kinda an odd move.

They also reduced xp to level from 10-39 for some random reason.

1-9 Old Same
    10-39? Old (-20%)
    40-84? Old Same
    85-86 10 million 15.5 million (+55%)
    86-87 11.6 million 18 million (+55%)
    87-88 14.6 million 22.6 million (+55%)
    88-89 17.6 million 27.3 million (+55%)
    89-90 21.2 million 32.8 million (+55%)

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I don't follow either, I'd probably make 30-60 take longer at the expense of making 60-68 shorter. You'd think they'd want to minimise the time people spend on their weakest content.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There is no hurdle, as it was something they added to the game. I remember being able to enter raids solo no problem at least back in Vanilla. I honestly can't remember when they added the restriction, but it was likely because of some exploit to get a lot of cash.

They'e nerfing money from bosses so it scales per-player, so I don't see why it's still in there.

It was a farming exploit, something to do with rapidly farming easy trash and maybe even chests if I remember correctly. They should at least remove the raid requirement now for lvl 60 and 70 raids. I'm still holding out hope they're going to put them on the raid finder or something.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Molten Core and Blackwing Lair will not let you in solo if you try to use the green entrance portal. It only works if you use the teleporting shortcut.

But that seems to indicate that it's entirely possible to allow you into a raid zone solo, so they should remove the annoying group requirement.

Worst case scenario, they could just change the portal to be like Upper Blackrock Spire, as that lets you enter solo or as a raid group (same as many instances used to do). Though I guess that may interfere with the raid lockouts if they did that. I don't know how those are set up.

• Options
    Yeah they seriously should just gut the raid requirement for raids. They've balanced the gold drops (which sucks, but the addition of instant mass loot means that doing trash roundups is worthwhile now...) so there's no real reason to put that barrier in; it's debatable if it was important before.

Dungeons don't require a party, raids don't need to require a raid. I'm not sure, exactly, what the point is.

• Options
    I know what the point was initially, but like Rorus said, the money issue has been handled. The smartest thing would have been to address everything when transmogrification was first introduced, since they obviously knew it would cause more old dungeoning than previously

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Is it even possible to solo BWL with the way the Razergore fight is set up?

• Options

As a matter of fact I just did it today! But you need to be a goblin/hunter/engineer to do it.

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

As a matter of fact I just did it today! But you need to be a goblin/hunter/engineer to do it.

How'd you do it?

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular

Gotta use specific gear, skills and such, and even then it's down to timing and a little luck, but it is possible. It's even harder than soloing the chess event in Kara from what I've seen. At least chess anyone can do.

• Options
    That's pretty much the strat I used, and why you need some kind of speed boost/jump. Heroic leap is known to work, but, since it's heroic leap, it's spotty at best

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    They really should just fix that fight so you can solo the orb without despawning Razorgore. It's a pain in the ass even if you have other people because it's so fucking buggy.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hum, am I the only one who liked the quests, area designs and lore in Pandaria? The pandaren starting area is awesome.

I'm no raider though.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    They really should just fix that fight so you can solo the orb without despawning Razorgore. It's a pain in the ass even if you have other people because it's so fucking buggy.

As far as I know they fixed that, but just in case, if you control Razorgore and there are no other adds up, just cancel the orb after you leave combat, and just kite/tank him around until you can control it again. That should fix any reset issues

What worked for me:

Jump where the video shows (the balcony next to the orb) while Razorgore is attacking you, kill the other two but leave the controller alive. After a while, the fight will reset and the adds by the orb will respawn, and the adds that have run out will run away entirely. Kill everything sans-Razorgore, then control him, then cancel it once you leave combat, and just dick around until Mind Exhaustion falls of. Once it does, control the boss again and start killing the eggs. Now, to play it safe, I manually cancelled the possession when there was 25 seconds left on Mind Exhaustion, since there are reports where if you wait too long, adds will start popping again. Next week when I go for it I'll try just letting it ride, though, since it makes the fight much longer.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Hum, am I the only one who liked the quests, area designs and lore in Pandaria? The pandaren starting area is awesome.

I'm no raider though.

You definitely are not. I havn't had a chance to do everything, but I was definitely impressed.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I played the beta real early on, so a lot of the lore/story wasn't implemented yet, a lot of <THIS IS A CARRIAGE> type stuff, but it's got pretty good roots

• Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    So with multiple methods of advancement (dailys + heroics + raids + ?? farming quests maybe) are we actually seeing a gameplay paradigm shift that's tied to palpable rewards, or are non-raid gameplay paths still rewarding at best gear that's half a tier below heroic dungeon gear?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

I'm no raider though.

Not to be weird, but what are you then? I'm not saying you should be a raider, just curious what drives you in the game.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    That seems like a silly question. There's still more than plenty to do for someone who never steps foot into raids, particularly if they don't play that often.

I mean, I didn't raid at all in Cata. Instead I got 10 85's, did Long Strange Trip on all of them, and did a lot of other stuff.

Maybe someone who didn't blow through all the questing content in 2 days like many, or didn't play for a lot of the expansion. Or like me, and don't mind (for the most part) repeating content you enjoy.

I dunno, that just seems like a really asinine question; like demanding they explain themselves to you because they don't do the thing you do.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well with the way work was last year and the fact I lack a computer I had little time to play, check my email and a ton of other things before I ran off to bed or my other job
    It's a good thing they learned a hard lesson from cata in that not everyone raids nor cares to

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    That seems like a silly question. There's still more than plenty to do for someone who never steps foot into raids, particularly if they don't play that often.

I mean, I didn't raid at all in Cata. Instead I got 10 85's, did Long Strange Trip on all of them, and did a lot of other stuff.

Maybe someone who didn't blow through all the questing content in 2 days like many, or didn't play for a lot of the expansion. Or like me, and don't mind (for the most part) repeating content you enjoy.

I dunno, that just seems like a really asinine question; like demanding they explain themselves to you because they don't do the thing you do.

Or I'm just curious to see what they enjoy so maybe I'd find something new to do when not raiding (which is most days). I'm sorry if it personally offended you.

This discussion has been closed.