As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FEZ] is out on Live Arcade! Use spoiler tags when discussing puzzles and their solution!

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Key for the numerals for those who are stuck with them:
    fez_numbers.png
    And my explanation for how I deciphered them:
    I started by learning (one of) the shape(s) for 5 from the Industrial zone because it has a picture of the symbol and then spells out the word "five" in the more-easily deciphered alphabet. Then, with that in mind, you can find a series of addition equations in a class room. These help you work out 1, 2, 3, 7, and 10. In the same classroom there is a poster which hints that there are multiple ways to write some of the numbers. It gives you the two ways of writing 3. From there, it was a little bit of extrapolation. There are 4 basic shapes (plus zero) which consist of a straight line rotated 90 degrees. These make up 1-4. Then 5-10 are composites of these shapes (5 = 2 + 3 or 1 + 4 etc.). The only rule about making the composite symbols is that the combined symbols can't have any overlap. They can only meet at right angles. That's why the symbol for nine can only be made of the primary four symbol and the primary five symbol. Using the secondary five symbol would have caused overlap.

EDIT: Another way of looking at the composite symbols is only using the base four. So 9 is made up of 4 + 3 + 2. 6 can be 4 + 2 or 3 + 2 + 1.

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Do you have to know the numerals?

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    It really helps, yeah.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    There are several puzzles that require knowing the numerals. Bell, Boiler Room, Treasure Maps. Not required to "beat" the game, but yeah.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Specific puzzle:
    The security question puzzle:
    Is the second word 'fish' or am I barking up the wrong tree? I hate riddles... No spoilers though!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Specific puzzle:
    Is the second word 'fish' or am I barking up the wrong tree? I hate riddles... No spoilers though!

Do you want the answer to the question or do you not want spoilers? Or is saying yes/no okay?

vq2TEKC.png
    Yes/no to my specific question would be lovely!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Yes/no to my specific question would be lovely!

That's not the correct word.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Specific puzzle:

Do you want the answer to the question or do you not want spoilers? Or is saying yes/no okay?

This game will not help you enjoy riddles. A non-answer spoiler:
    The entire security question puzzle is really nearly impossible. I spent a solid day trying to come up with an answer, but the actual answer is so out-of-left-field that all my time spent puzzling was completely useless.

edited April 2012
    Fuck it, I'll move on then. Cheers.

Next question!
    Am I missing something to speed it up or is this clock tower puzzle really a case of sitting watching a clock tick on the XBox for a solid 15 mins?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited April 2012
    Fuck it, I'll move on then. Cheers.

Next question!
    Am I missing something to speed it up or is this clock tower puzzle really a case of sitting watching a clock tick on the XBox for a solid 15 mins?
    The slowest hand can take days. The only thing you're "missing" would be fiddling with your XBox's system time.

Mobile-D on
    Jesus.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    This game does not give a crap about what the average player thinks is reasonable. I think I'm in love.

Granted, I bought it expecting something like Braid and actually got something like Myst or Riven, but I LOVE Myst and its many sequels.

edited April 2012
    Clock Puzzle
    Yeah, I lucked into the gray hand, which supposedly has the longest period. The green hand took forever for me.

EDIT: Guess I should spoil that.

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    On a side-note, someone REALLY needs to make a GIF of the new-game-plus opening sequence with the sunglasses. It's screaming for a DEAL WITH IT caption.

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm on my NG+ and going back hunting for everything. Only 2 more cubes and something like 13 anti-cubes to find. Then over the couple hours I played tonight I had 3 hard-crashes. I'm enjoying the game, but man is it givin me an aneurism.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    Man these walls that 'respawn' after bombing them are throwing me for a loop.

Ok one small complaint is sometimes I feel the game has zoomed out too much. I have to scootch up to my TV to see what the hell something says.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Ack. I don't mind flailing around on these puzzles, but I'd at least like to know that I'm flailing in the correct general direction.

Numeral system:
    Based on the classroom in the second village of weird-white-people-things, I thought the numeral system was a binary one, with the bits being the 4 cardinal directions -- AKA, if up, down, left or right is blacked in, it represents a 1 in that bit. Otherwise, a 0. So the plus sign would be (1 + 2 + 4 + 8 = 15), whereas the U-shaped symbol would be 1.

...and then that theory fell apart because the third equation (I guess that's what they are? Equations?) in that classroom didn't fit the pattern of the other two using those premises.

Am I thinking in the correct direction, though? Binary, etc?

Bell puzzle:
    Once I have the numerals figured out, this one will be obvious I'm thinking?

Owl puzzle:
    Fuck owls. I have no clue. Just wanted to put that out there. Fuck 'em.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Ack. I don't mind flailing around on these puzzles, but I'd at least like to know that I'm flailing in the correct general direction.

Numeral system:
    Based on the classroom in the second village of weird-white-people-things, I thought the numeral system was a binary one, with the bits being the 4 cardinal directions -- AKA, if up, down, left or right is blacked in, it represents a 1 in that bit. Otherwise, a 0. So the plus sign would be (1 + 2 + 4 + 8 = 15), whereas the U-shaped symbol would be 1.

...and then that theory fell apart because the third equation (I guess that's what they are? Equations?) in that classroom didn't fit the pattern of the other two using those premises.

Am I thinking in the correct direction, though? Binary, etc?

Bell puzzle:
    Once I have the numerals figured out, this one will be obvious I'm thinking?

Owl puzzle:
    Fuck owls. I have no clue. Just wanted to put that out there. Fuck 'em.
    You're on the right track with the numbers. I thought it would be binary, too. It's not, but it's similar.

Bell puzzle won't be any more obvious than anything else in this game, but you need to know the numerals.

I like owls.

How many cubes (ANY cubes) can I get without going into a NG+? I have enough cubes to open the 16 cube door but several rooms still having secrets.

And the things in the
    classroom, those are equations right? The ones that have 5 characters vertically, where the last two are always
    =
    +

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    How many cubes (ANY cubes) can I get without going into a NG+? I have enough cubes to open the 16 cube door but several rooms still having secrets.

well you can at least get

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    BlueBlue wrote: »

well you can at least get
    You could probably get 45ish cubes without going into NG+, but it's worth noting that you keep ALL your progress in NG+. And you get a new ability which is vital for getting all 64 cubes.

And the things in the
    classroom, those are equations right? The ones that have 5 characters vertically, where the last two are always
    =
    +
    yes but the last one is only in the shape of a plus, it is not a plus sign

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    Augh I don't know how to go about deciphering the moon language or numbers but at the same time I don't wanna look it up. ARGH.

Augh I don't know how to go about deciphering the moon language or numbers but at the same time I don't wanna look it up. ARGH.

THIS is what I did, but it turns out there's an area that spells it out to you a lot more easily.

hey jam warrior if you really want to make a go at that one puzzle I do think it's possible to get but there's two things I didn't realize when I was doing it and if that's the answer you came up with maybe you also haven't realized:
    You can grab a block and rotate the camera and that will rotate the block - you aren't restricted by the order they start out in
    You have to arrange the answer such that it reads vertically when your head is tilted to the left
    And my advice on the best way to approach the actual riddle after having dispensed with the total puzzle bullshit:
    Try to figure out the first half while ignoring the second half

CD World Tour status:
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

i kinda spoiled myself on it, partially on both

i would suggest not doing so, it does suck the fun out of it

UNLESS you enjoy deciphering things. just approach it methodically, but also know - the moon language and the tetronimos both have rooms that can be used to decipher them in their entirety, whereas the numbering system is more an amalgam of various bits of info (though one room in particular is very handy)

OH GOD CRYPTIC OWL STATUE WHY

Hey! Fun fact for everyone. A group of crows is called a murder of crows. A group of owls has a funny name too!

edited April 2012
    OH GOD CRYPTIC OWL STATUE WHY

Seriously fuck that owl. Especially because whenever I have an idea to try, I am invariably on the opposite side of the world map from it. Then I make the trek, get there, and....nope.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Oh god there is more than one? I'm having such the internal battle right now. Do I bend my brain in ways that may, in fact, break it to try and solve the puzzles or do I just get the 'easiest' cubes and go from there? Augh. I want to smart but.. urghle.aslmasf.

UNLESS you enjoy deciphering things. just approach it methodically, but also know - the moon language and the tetronimos both have rooms that can be used to decipher them in their entirety, whereas the numbering system is more an amalgam of various bits of info (though one room in particular is very handy)

hey tell me about the numbers because i looked them up: here was what I wound up doing and what I couldn't figure out -
    1,2,3 from the line, square, cube dimension chart in that classroom
    the OTHER three from the same
    four from the doors puzzle/maps
    ...those were the only ones I could legitimately figure out
    the bell I thought "well that's 1 and three maybe the other ones are 6 and 9, let's try (incidentally that doesn't make sense)" and then I pressed the last one one more time out of frustration, 6 and 10 unlocked hooray
    knowing 10 now I could get 5 and 7 from the math thing in the room
    8 and 9 still at large even having looked them up???? and really I didn't figure out the bell numbers so much as have a real lucky guess

CD World Tour status:
    Oops, I guess that is accidentally a spoiler Magus. I have removed the offending information from my post. Sorry. :(

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Neh, it's not a big deal. The things that get the most are the things that seem the simplest. Like rooms with secrets that are seemingly completely barren.. but can't be? Otherwise the game wouldn't tell me there were secrets there! Knowing that some cubes are out of my reach until a NG+ makes it worse cause then I'm not sure if the room is a 'NG+' type of room or just fucking with me.

I'm at like.. 20 cubes now or so.. oh god

BlueBlue wrote: »

hey tell me about the numbers because i looked them up: here was what I wound up doing and what I couldn't figure out -
    1,2,3 from the line, square, cube dimension chart in that classroom
    the OTHER three from the same
    four from the doors puzzle/maps
    ...those were the only ones I could legitimately figure out
    the bell I thought "well that's 1 and three maybe the other ones are 6 and 9, let's try (incidentally that doesn't make sense)" and then I pressed the last one one more time out of frustration, 6 and 10 unlocked hooray
    knowing 10 now I could get 5 and 7 from the math thing in the room
    8 and 9 still at large even having looked them up???? and really I didn't figure out the bell numbers so much as have a real lucky guess

Total Number System Spoiler:
    Looking at a number like a clock, the hands are worth (starting at the hand pointing straight up) One, Two, Three, and Four. Higher numbers are made by adding the hands together. So a plus sign (+) is worth 1+2+3+4. A horizontal line (-) is worth 2+4. An 'L' shape is worth 1+2. Etc etc.

Yeah I just read the post right at the top of the page haha whoops! But thanks.

Magus there are just so so many cubes - I got 32 without even knowing any glyphs for anything, and completely overlooking major level branches! Just grab everything that's easily available before trying to full clear

CD World Tour status:
    edited April 2012
    Man I feel a bit dumb after learning the real number system - my problem I think was
    looking at the entire symbol/focusing on the "negative space" - never would have occurred to me that the one was the small segment and not the letter U

Also I feel like that number die in the classroom was a red herring as I was trying to make those 123456/0 for a long time

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    "Golded" a few more rooms, up to 19 cubes now. That's enough for tonight, I think. I know eventually I'm going to need to know the alphabet and number ciphers, but until then.. here's hoping.