As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    theSquid wrote: »
    Oh look I hate cricket and rugby, I'm over the both of them

Good beach games but

The only acceptable beach game is british bulldogs

edit: which is basically what rugby is, except rugby refuses to drop the pretentious crap about a ball and admit that its all just about running as hard as you can into other men

:winky:

Takes leather balls to play rugby.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Lost to a Protoss who made nothing but Chargelots.

#FeelinglikeJaziek

Oh man that's great. Hope it makes thread title.

• Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular

#FeelinglikeJaziek

:^:

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    You pretty much can default to roaches 100% against prot nowadays, right? Trying to relearn the game here and I wen't ling/festor by force of habit, against a turtling prot... ff/colossi melted me real good.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Keamien wrote: »

#FeelinglikeJaziek

:^:

Ask and you shall receive.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    You pretty much can default to roaches 100% against prot nowadays, right? Trying to relearn the game here and I wen't ling/festor by force of habit, against a turtling prot... ff/colossi melted me real good.

pretty standard unit composition is mass roach-->Infestors-->Infestor/Broodlord

Hydras if they go heavy stargate

guys guys

how do I play Broodwar with you? I still have my CDs, even though it has been years

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    FATAL COME BACK!

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Oh look I hate cricket and rugby, I'm over the both of them

Good beach games but

The only acceptable beach game is british bulldogs

edit: which is basically what rugby is, except rugby refuses to drop the pretentious crap about a ball and admit that its all just about running as hard as you can into other men

:winky:

Takes leather balls to play rugby.

every time I hear that crap about rugby it blurs into white noise and comes out the other end as "I never got laid in high school so I convinced myself that the types that got the girls were closet gays to feel better about myself"

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Narwhal friend requests my wife but not me. I see how it is

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Install the game.

http://www.iccup.com/starcraft/files.html

Register an account on this website. Then go to the files page and download the 1.16 patcher. Run that and it'll patch the game for you. Next, download the ICCup ladder maps. Extract them to your Starcraft/Maps folder. Finally, download the anti-hack launcher, install it, and use it to launch BW. Go to multiplayer, join The Abyss server, and login using the information you registered with on the website. Join whatever channel we're on, and voila, you're ready to get your ass kicked by an incredibly hard game.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Install the game.

http://www.iccup.com/starcraft/files.html

Register an account on this website. Then go to the files page and download the 1.16 patcher. Run that and it'll patch the game for you. Next, download the ICCup ladder maps. Extract them to your Starcraft/Maps folder. Finally, download the anti-hack launcher, install it, and use it to launch BW. Go to multiplayer, join The Abyss server, and login using the information you registered with on the website. Join whatever channel we're on, and voila, you're ready to get your ass kicked by an incredibly hard game.

Fucking battle.net, making it so hard to play a game compared to BW

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

...this is gold.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    @WingedWeasel

Grubby just swapped over his stream and is playing WC3 games against his stream viewers.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    k, downloading starcraft:BW

Should be installed and running tonight, but I will probably have to save playing with you guys for later in the week

Tomorrow I'm going to ladder my face off in the new season, gonna try and get dat platinum early :)

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I thought I'd seen all the cheeses, but then the other day a guy floated three barracks into the shadows of my base on shattered temple.

#FeelinglikeJaziek

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

This does not surprise me

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Move over drunktanner, feelinglikejaziek is the new PA sc2 meme

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    auspax better anyway

Beach house

Booze

Rock band

Beach cricket

Fuck yeah

I like option C: Go to PAX and AusPAX

Just, money. And uni. and work.

• Options
    alright, I'm online. Name is "enodeR" (redone backwords :p )

What channel is our channel?

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    It'll probably be pa

• Options
    ugh, wow, wish I were more tech-savvy so I could figure out how to set up the iccup league so I can play ladder games

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    RedOne wrote: »
    ugh, wow, wish I were more tech-savvy so I could figure out how to set up the iccup league so I can play ladder games

you dont have to set anything up. if you're playing on The Abyss any game played on an iccup map will count towards the ladder. I got two ladder wins over biosys last night!

• Options
    Oh uh, there's no automatic ladder in BW. ICCup uses a rating system where your skill level is represented by a letter grade (D- to A+). You have to either join a game by going to Join->Melee and selecting a game, or challenge someone on one of the ICCup channels. You'll see people say stuff like "D- msg me", and then you can whisper them and set-up a game. Keep in mind that even the lowest level players on ICCup will destroy you, it's probably best if you stick to customs with PAers for awhile. I'm on right now if you want a quick game.

• Options
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Oh uh, there's no automatic ladder in BW. ICCup uses a rating system where your skill level is represented by a letter grade (D- to A+). You have to either join a game by going to Join->Melee and selecting a game, or challenge someone on one of the ICCup channels. You'll see people say stuff like "D- msg me", and then you can whisper them and set-up a game. Keep in mind that even the lowest level players on ICCup will destroy you, it's probably best if you stick to customs with PAers for awhile. I'm on right now if you want a quick game.

sure let's play!

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    Think of D and D- as encompassing the entire SC2 skillbase range from Bronze to Masters, and then D+ up to A being GM-> pro

Basically you start at D and if you can maintain that rating while actively playing you're doing pretty fucking well.

• Options
    What is it that makes vulture/tank viable in BW and hellion/tank not viable in SC2 in TvP?

I mean specifically.

We can draw comparisons - Hellions and Vultures are both fast, good at killing zealots and workers, and absorb some good damage. In fact, hellions absorb damage better than vultures do.

Is it spider mines? That makes it even harder to attack the Terran.

Is it pathing? Seems like its easier to attack an entrenched siege line when you have units that do what you tell them to do once in a while, and also when you can attack with your entire army simultaneously much more easily.

Just getting all of your units into firing range in BW is a challenge.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Spider mines, pathing, tanks being better.

Those things combine to make it a lot more powerful than tank/hellion in SC2. Spider mines just deal absurd amounts of damage, and the tanks deal even more. Which makes the fact that vultures barely deal any damage at all a moot point. And I'm fairly sure vultures with speed upgrade are faster than hellions, relative to their counterparts.

• Options
    D- is the lowest rank in iccup?

just played a game with meeks. I surprised myself since I made a lot of workers and had tons of income and was managing a decent amount of bases pretty well

then like 30 carriers showed up and killed everything. Ooops. I totally see why BW players transfered so easily to SC2, though. You need some goddamn

goddamn
    korean little hands to have good mechanics in bw.

It was totally fun, though. I'd love to play with you guys on BW when you're on

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    I suppose Protoss air to ground (void rays) is also better in SC2 than BW (until carriers) and Terran non-marine ground-to-air is better (goliaths vs thors)

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    spider mines and also tanks were better I think?

I really have no idea though. I tried briefly to get into BW a little before and a bit after sc2 and it didn't happen. I need good english casters to teach me the games I play.

just lost to a toss on ladder and made a comment amount missing a bunker repair and he started shitting on me. then we played again and I beat him it felt so gooooooooooooooooooooooooood. so good.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    It is because Protoss have a bunch of units now that range from soft to hard countering siege tanks. The removal of spider mines is also a big deal; they are necessary to zone out the Protoss army and keep your siege tanks safe from zealots. If anything the pathing would make mech stronger in SC2 because units tend to clump up a lot more.

• Options
    The pathing is the reason they had to reduce siege tank damage drastically as far as I know.

And well, the lack of arbiters as a way to break/circumvent tanklines, as well as the uselessness of carriers and storm being a shadow of its former self ( also because of clumping).

• Options
    carriers would be good if people were playing mech wouldn't they?

they just don't make sense in the match as-is. that's my perception anyway maybe not.

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    just woke up

people playing bw now?

am all up in channel pa if anyone wants to play

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    carriers would be good if people were playing mech wouldn't they?

they just don't make sense in the match as-is. that's my perception anyway maybe not.

if people were playing mech carriers would be good in sc2 TvP, but they do nothing against bio.

But bio was a shadow in BW of what it is now. Largely because stutterstepping was about 0.01% as effective, because marines had a firing animation where they lowered their gun and the damage only triggered at the end of the animation instead of at the beginning like in SC2.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I forgot about vikings, I'm retarded. I was just thinking about marines.

edit - and I wasn't sure how thors were against them. thors suck against BCs for expample, if they were that bad against carriers it would be maybe-workable (minus vikings)

but I guess there's no point talking about counters for counters for things that don't work anyway.

Variable on
  • Options
    Carriers are not good against mech, because the meching player can easily get vikings and thors. Vikings completely destroy carriers. I'll hop on in a second bio.

• Options
    Nah, carriers in SC2 are just bad. Interceptors die easily, they do terrible damage assuming the other guy is keeping up on armor upgrades with your weapon upgrades.

It's not hard for a meching terran to toss out enough vikings to null them, or at least switch to marines if you are going for a ton of carriers. But if you are going for a ton of carriers you die while building them unless the terran is asleep. And it's really more effective to just do some kind of timing and destroy the terran before they reach critical mass with mech. Or fight it straight up with a very heavy chargelot army. I'm not sure what beats mech these days really, all I know is that carriers are not the reason you don't go mech against protoss :P. Since carriers in sc2 are a joke.

• Options
    I certainly didn't meant to imply that carriers are why people don't go mech I just thought they might have a use if the matchup was played differently.

• Options
    All I know is that I'm playing Terran in BW and marine/medic is broken as fuck but really hard to control, and tank/vulture is really also broken but very very hard to control because vultures basically teleport and before you know it your vultures are all dead beacuse they raced off after a dragoon for no reason and you forgot to research spider mines and you can't shift queue unsiege->move->siege so spreading tanks takes like five minutes and holy fuck this is sooo gooooood