As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »
    He didn't defend as well as he could have done, but he can't retreat up the ramp because if he loses the nexus he's so far behind he might as well GG, and nothing he saw (or could have reasonably been expected to see) told him that it was that much of an all in (lol terran + all in in the same sentence).

The gates on the low ground were unfortunate, but it wasn't a bad move to make them there in the first place, it just worked against him in this situation. The supply block? Yeah ok, thats just him being bad.

You are not behind if you lose the nexus, lol. Terran has 20 scvs with his army. The mining time of them alone is worth 400 minerals.

Doesn't matter.

Got mules.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    jaz makes me want to balance whine less

i'm not going to, but still

fight the power, whine all day long!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't really understand that. With a 1rax gasless FE you can deny scouting with your initial marine and keep them guessing at whether you are fast expanding or going for a one base marine all-in. With CC first there is no way you can deny their scout, and once they know you opened CC first there is a lot they can do to punish it, including a quick double expand or some sort of all-in.

Well to be fair, I'm in Gold League so it's not like my opponents have perfectly optimized builds down yet. Day9 said that this build often loses to double expand -> 8 gate since he can outproduce you in the midgame. Still fun to experiment though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    *sigh*

watching code A today has made me not want to ladder at all.

This happens every time I see a toss just get completely stomped. I need to be in a frame of mind where I think I can win, and when I see such crushing defeats I'm really not thinking like that.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    *sigh*

This happens every time I see a toss just get completely stomped. I need to be in a frame of mind where I think I can win, and when I see such crushing defeats I'm really not thinking like that.

on the bright side you're fucking terrible compared to all of those players so even at your very best you're still not affected by balance in the way they are 99% of the time

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    *sigh*

on the bright side you're fucking terrible compared to all of those players so even at your very best you're still not affected by balance in the way they are 99% of the time

i feel inspired just glancing at this post

• Options
    Kb9kahneKb9kahne Registered User regular
    Biosys wrote: »
    *sigh*

i feel inspired just glancing at this post

I agree haha, and based on the argument about the scv's. I was watching something the other day, i think NASL and they stated that a mule=4.5 scvs. so honestly, toss would still be in an okay position if the push happened to them and they lost their nexus. (I'm just reiterating Dhal except I added numbers)

11917-1.png
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I think protoss is the baddestly designed race. The big expensive powerful unit idea doesn't seem to work as well.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    scjohnnoscjohnno Registered User regular
    DRG streaming. Watch and be disheartened by the fact that you are not this fast.

...a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it. - Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    I think protoss is the baddestly designed race. The big expensive powerful unit idea doesn't seem to work as well.

It did in Brood Wars.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

It did in Brood Wars.
    'cept that the collosus is basically this idea but on crack. and its bad

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    scjohnno wrote: »
    DRG streaming. Watch and be disheartened by the fact that you are not this fast.

Actually, DRG has the same "jump to my base constantly to check on stuff" bad habit that took me half a year to break. ^_^

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    iowa wrote: »

It did in Brood Wars.
    'cept that the collosus is basically this idea but on crack. and its bad

I don't disagree. The colo's design and everything else that revolves around it could use some work.
    Reavers were cool, but mad, mad slow on ground. Their fire rate also wasn't as fast. Toss were forced to use awesome shuttle micro.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    That is because protoss units are weak as shit in sc2.
    Except zealots, but they can barely catch anything anymore. And thats why a terran switch is nice.

But now Im going to get up for work at 03:30 for 45 days with no sc2, so... #FeelingLikeJaziek

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    in sc1 the protoss big expensive stronger units worked cause _everything_ was different. I just think they messed it up in sc2. MMM balls (which seem to scale exponentially as they grow in size) rape gateway units as soon as stim and medivacs hit the field. That didn't happen in sc1. It was crazy different.

I think the game could use a rehaul on protoss for hots. Blizz should just be like fuck it, we mistaked it, we'll re-do it. To make PvT and ZvP better.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Whelp, looks like eSports wins. Our job here is done gentleman, you may all go home now.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/apr/16/esports-cbs-interactive-aligns-video-gaming-operations/

Spoiler for press release:
    CBS INTERACTIVE EXPANDS INTO ESPORTS CATEGORY WITH EXCLUSIVE LIVE GAMING VIDEO AND LEAGUE PARTNERSHIPS

Partnership with TwitchTV brings the World's Largest Live Video Gaming Community to CBS Interactive

Deal with Major League Gaming, the Largest Competitive Video Game League, Guarantees Global Broadcast Rights to Fast Growing eSports Scene

SAN FRANCISCO - April 17, 2012 – CBS Interactive today announced a major expansion into the fast-growing categories of live gaming and eSports through exclusive partnerships with TwitchTV and Major League Gaming (MLG). By combining the world’s biggest live video gaming community with the most popular eSports league, and its flagship gaming property, GameSpot.com, CBS Interactive Games now serves more than 3 billion minutes of live gaming and eSports content monthly, making it the most engaged video property for gamers worldwide.

The expansion of the CBS Interactive Games group includes the following deals:

Partnership with TwitchTV: CBS Interactive has signed an exclusive partnership with TwitchTV, the world’s leading video game broadcasting network. Each month, TwitchTV attracts 16 million people from all over the world who tune in to watch other players, commentators, and live gaming competitions and events. CBSi Games, which now has a total reach of 25 million users watching almost 50 million hours of live gaming video per month, will exclusively sell advertising, promotions and sponsorships for this community.

Partnership with Major League Gaming (MLG): The world’s most prominent eSports league, Major League Gaming (MLG), has signed a partnership with CBS Interactive to be the exclusive online broadcaster of their Pro Circuit competitions, as well as for advertising representation. MLG is the world's largest competitive video game league with over 15 million hours of live video served to fans during the 2011 Pro Circuit season, nearly 2,500 hours of live gaming competition scheduled in 2012, and thousands of the world’s best players competing at MLG events annually.

“The eSports scene is one of the hottest trends in video, and is rapidly attracting the core 18-34 male demographic in greater numbers than any other medium or category,” said Jim Lanzone, President, CBS Interactive. “With these partnerships, CBSi now represents the biggest audience in live gaming and is able to offer our advertising partners a unique mix of trusted, premium content along with the huge engagement and audience that the eSports scene is commanding right now.”

Competitive gaming, often referred to as eSports, has grown dramatically over the past several years driven by the success of platforms like TwitchTV and the popularity of live gaming. On average, people tune into live gaming competitions and events for 23 minutes versus the 3 minutes for a typical on-demand clip. Across CBS Interactive Games, more than 3 billion minutes of video are served each month to 18-34 year old men, making these sites 300% more likely to deliver this coveted demographic than traditional video sites like YouTube. In addition, live eSports competitions deliver a massively engaged audience, with fans engaging real time through social media versus the quick tune-in, tune-out mentality of watching clips.

"The people that visit TwitchTV make up the most engaged audience online today. Each tournament we broadcast draws millions of fans that congregate online through our platform to root for their teams and connect with their peers through social media,” said Emmett Shear, CEO of TwitchTV. “The combination of TwitchTV’s engagement and the reach of GameSpot's premium editorial content is a perfect match. With the benefit of the sales and marketing efforts of CBS Interactive, we expect this partnership to be a great success."

As the success of eSports skyrockets, so does the popularity of the MLG. In 2011, the MLG Pro Circuit enjoyed its strongest year to date since being founded in 2002 with viewers from a record 175 countries tuning in to watch the MLG National Championships in Providence, Rhode Island, last November.

"Major League Gaming’s live audience is growing in popularity to rival some of the most popular traditional sporting events with a highly engaged fan base worldwide,” said Sundance DiGiovanni, CEO and Co-Founder, Major League Gaming. "Leveraging the reach of CBS Interactive, we will now be able to create a premiere eSports destination for current and future fans alike, while providing some of the most powerful brands an opportunity to reach this coveted, passionate audience."

About CBS Interactive

CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the premier online content network for information and entertainment. With more than 250 million people visiting its properties each month, it is a top 10 Web property globally and a top 5 Web property in the U.S. in terms of unique video viewers. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSNews.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com and Last.fm, span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and business.

Follow CBS Interactive on Twitter: twitter.com/cbsi and on Facebook.

Follow GameSpot.com on Twitter: twitter.com/gamespot and on Facebook.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I smell a potential CGS scenario happening again...

also,

"you should watch people stream to learn how to play"

I swear every time I watch someone stream they go on massive 10 game losing streaks. I'm cursed.

jaziek on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That shouldn't be shocking. CBSi is pretty balls deep in to video games, owning GameSpot and now Giant Bomb.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/EmSc Tv

Grubby and TLO are playing a Bo15. They each have a first-person stream up too if you would rather watch that.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Random player, proxy gateways me, four player map, I scout the wrong way. God I hate losing to cheese. Especially when it's cheese made cheesier by randomness and 4-player-mapiness.

edit: On a side note, anyone have a list of what maps have spawning restrictions? I need to memorize that eventually.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wouldn't Pool > Hatch be the best response to a proxy Gate anyway?

Edit:
    Cloud Kingdom, Daybreak, Korhal, and Ohana are 2 spawn
    Metal, Metropolis, and Shakuras have no close ground
    Antiga, Entombed, and TDA are 4 spawn

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Whelp, looks like eSports wins. Our job here is done gentleman, you may all go home now.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/apr/16/esports-cbs-interactive-aligns-video-gaming-operations/

CBS INTERACTIVE EXPANDS INTO ESPORTS CATEGORY WITH EXCLUSIVE LIVE GAMING VIDEO AND LEAGUE PARTNERSHIPS

Partnership with TwitchTV brings the World's Largest Live Video Gaming Community to CBS Interactive

Deal with Major League Gaming, the Largest Competitive Video Game League, Guarantees Global Broadcast Rights to Fast Growing eSports Scene

SAN FRANCISCO - April 17, 2012 – CBS Interactive today announced a major expansion into the fast-growing categories of live gaming and eSports through exclusive partnerships with TwitchTV and Major League Gaming (MLG). By combining the world’s biggest live video gaming community with the most popular eSports league, and its flagship gaming property, GameSpot.com, CBS Interactive Games now serves more than 3 billion minutes of live gaming and eSports content monthly, making it the most engaged video property for gamers worldwide.

Partnership with TwitchTV: CBS Interactive has signed an exclusive partnership with TwitchTV, the world’s leading video game broadcasting network. Each month, TwitchTV attracts 16 million people from all over the world who tune in to watch other players, commentators, and live gaming competitions and events. CBSi Games, which now has a total reach of 25 million users watching almost 50 million hours of live gaming video per month, will exclusively sell advertising, promotions and sponsorships for this community.

Partnership with Major League Gaming (MLG): The world’s most prominent eSports league, Major League Gaming (MLG), has signed a partnership with CBS Interactive to be the exclusive online broadcaster of their Pro Circuit competitions, as well as for advertising representation. MLG is the world's largest competitive video game league with over 15 million hours of live video served to fans during the 2011 Pro Circuit season, nearly 2,500 hours of live gaming competition scheduled in 2012, and thousands of the world’s best players competing at MLG events annually.

“The eSports scene is one of the hottest trends in video, and is rapidly attracting the core 18-34 male demographic in greater numbers than any other medium or category,” said Jim Lanzone, President, CBS Interactive. “With these partnerships, CBSi now represents the biggest audience in live gaming and is able to offer our advertising partners a unique mix of trusted, premium content along with the huge engagement and audience that the eSports scene is commanding right now.”

Competitive gaming, often referred to as eSports, has grown dramatically over the past several years driven by the success of platforms like TwitchTV and the popularity of live gaming. On average, people tune into live gaming competitions and events for 23 minutes versus the 3 minutes for a typical on-demand clip. Across CBS Interactive Games, more than 3 billion minutes of video are served each month to 18-34 year old men, making these sites 300% more likely to deliver this coveted demographic than traditional video sites like YouTube. In addition, live eSports competitions deliver a massively engaged audience, with fans engaging real time through social media versus the quick tune-in, tune-out mentality of watching clips.

"The people that visit TwitchTV make up the most engaged audience online today. Each tournament we broadcast draws millions of fans that congregate online through our platform to root for their teams and connect with their peers through social media,” said Emmett Shear, CEO of TwitchTV. “The combination of TwitchTV’s engagement and the reach of GameSpot's premium editorial content is a perfect match. With the benefit of the sales and marketing efforts of CBS Interactive, we expect this partnership to be a great success."

As the success of eSports skyrockets, so does the popularity of the MLG. In 2011, the MLG Pro Circuit enjoyed its strongest year to date since being founded in 2002 with viewers from a record 175 countries tuning in to watch the MLG National Championships in Providence, Rhode Island, last November.

"Major League Gaming’s live audience is growing in popularity to rival some of the most popular traditional sporting events with a highly engaged fan base worldwide,” said Sundance DiGiovanni, CEO and Co-Founder, Major League Gaming. "Leveraging the reach of CBS Interactive, we will now be able to create a premiere eSports destination for current and future fans alike, while providing some of the most powerful brands an opportunity to reach this coveted, passionate audience."

About CBS Interactive

CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the premier online content network for information and entertainment. With more than 250 million people visiting its properties each month, it is a top 10 Web property globally and a top 5 Web property in the U.S. in terms of unique video viewers. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSNews.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com and Last.fm, span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and business.

whats this mean. can i watch starcraft on tv or something

• Options

About CBS Interactive

So, no. CBSi is their online streaming division. But being associated with CBS is a pretty big deal regardless.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yilias wrote: »

About CBS Interactive

So, no. CBSi is their online streaming division. But being associated with CBS is a pretty big deal regardless.

Hopefully it means less of what is an issue with esports right now, laggy/dropped streams, wonky mlg pricing strategies, and poor production value (IGN's IPL4 for example, had awful production. It used Twitch tv.). I'm not harping on E-sports. I really love watching tournaments, but there are kinks that need to be ironed out.

I could go into more detail but I don't want to be yelled at because it's not directly sc2 relevant : x

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Don't be overly concerned about off-topic, we had a discussion about the difference between jelly, jam, and jell-o a few weeks ago.

• Options
    Robes wrote: »

I could go into more detail but I don't want to be yelled at because it's not directly sc2 relevant : x

At this point, I think everything sc2 related has been talked about for hours on end. A little off-topic now and then helps freshen up the thread, I would say.

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Pretty sure this thread had a 2-3 page discussion on hair, so I doubt it could go more off topic than that.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    CBSi, Twitch.tv, MLG

(and NASL, they too are included in a partnership with CBSi)
    "Additionally, as reported by AdWeek, the CBSi/GameSpot partnership will also be with NASL, not just MLG"
    TL Thread
    AdWeek article that includes mention of NASL along with MLG

sounds pretty damn SC2 related

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options

About CBS Interactive

Hopefully it means less of what is an issue with esports right now, laggy/dropped streams, wonky mlg pricing strategies, and poor production value (IGN's IPL4 for example, had awful production. It used Twitch tv.). I'm not harping on E-sports. I really love watching tournaments, but there are kinks that need to be ironed out.

Twitch has nothing to do with production value, they are simply a stream aggregate....and IPL4's production value was fine. Have you watched any other SC2 tournaments?

Sure, it wasn't MLG Winter Arena levels of good, but it certainly wasn't the worst I had ever seen.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

About CBS Interactive

Twitch has nothing to do with production value, they are simply a stream aggregate....and IPL4's production value was fine. Have you watched any other SC2 tournaments?

Sure, it wasn't MLG Winter Arena levels of good, but it certainly wasn't the worst I had ever seen.

I did catch quite a few issues. There is definitely a certain amateurish quality to it still.

• Options

About CBS Interactive

I did catch quite a few issues. There is definitely a certain amateurish quality to it still.

...it's a StarCraft 2 tournament?

Seriously, we need to bring ourselves back down to earth. Outside of Winter Arena, which was a 20 dollar PPV event, and GOM stuff, almost everything looks amateur...because it is. We're just not there yet, where the money needed to create a truly "professional" broadcast is there. I don't think most people realize it costs ESPN several million dollars to do a single Monday Night Football broadcast (just a random example I'm tossing out there).

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Also, Grubby playing TLO right now for a Bo15 showmatch. Score is currently 3-2 Grubby, I believe.

Player streams:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Grubby
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Liquid`TLO

Caster stream:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/EmSc Tv

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Um, so what are we arguing about then, Gnome? Let me see if I can paraphrase the previous discussion.

Robes - "Hopefully the CBSi involvement will lead to better production value."
    Gnome - "IPL4's production value was fine" (implying better production value isn't needed
    Spoons - "Some things could be improved"
    Gnome - "Calm down. Of course things could be improved with a better budget."

Which brings us back to Robes original post.

I don't think anyone was actually "leaving earth" in this discussion, Gnome. Unless I'm missing your point.

• Options
    My original point was actually that Twitch has nothing to do with production value, which is what Robes implied by saying "The production value was bad (it was with Twitch)".

• Options
    Um, so what are we arguing about then, Gnome? Let me see if I can paraphrase the previous discussion.

Gnome - "IPL4's production value was fine" (implying better production value isn't needed
    Spoons - "Some things could be improved"
    Gnome - "Calm down. Of course things could be improved with a better budget."

Which brings us back to Robes original post.

I don't think anyone was actually "leaving earth" in this discussion, Gnome. Unless I'm missing your point.

Robes started with saying IPL4 had bad production value. That's where Gnome came back saying it was fine.
    I don't think he implied it didn't need improvement.

Then, during her wedding vows, Sally came out of the closet as being Salomon, the tough truck driver from Nebraska with a heart of gold.

Then some shit blew up.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

About CBS Interactive

IPL4 did a lot of things wrong. The bracket system was really awakard: http://www.ign.com/ipl/starcraft-2/ipl4/brackets.
    If you view that, it looks like they just quit updating it 3/4 of the way through the open bracket section.

They didn't even make a bracket for championship sunday. At least not one I can find. Try going through that site, and finding who actually won the SC2 event. Maybe I'm just missing it. I like to be informed of whats going on in the tournament, seeing as every match won't be streamed.

Also during one game, they had audio of an interview happening offstage compounded ontop of audio going on in the live match : x

There were also streaming issues in itself.
    It was free, I'm only pointing these things out as things I would like to be fixed if they want to professionalize things a bit and start making more money off of it.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Then, during her wedding vows, Sally came out of the closet as being Salomon, the tough truck driver from Nebraska with a heart of gold.

Then some shit blew up.

This is the type of television we'd be watching if Lifetime and Spike TV hooked up.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Grubby's mass recalls are just sick. Can you recall a unit that is fungaled? fungled? fungglled

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Not only are the units expensive and generally slow to produce, it's by far the least maneuverable race despite the warpgate mechanic.
    I think the game could use a rehaul on protoss for hots. Blizz should just be like fuck it, we mistaked it, we'll re-do it. To make PvT and ZvP better.
    Agreed. I can't say I know exactly wich bits and pieces to scrap or remold, but the general avenue of design they've taken for protoss, so far, seems to have a dead end coming up fast.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Holy mother of fuck, who in God's name is supposed to be able to listen to this AD&D troll they scrounged up to cast the grubby/tlo stuff and subsequent matches?