As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    New SotG up. The episode was pre-recorded this time. JP, Sheth, Total Biscuit, Artosis, and Nony are on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qh-kV3d1Pw

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh, awesome. and that's fresh? thanks meeks.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Some interesting tidbits I've picked up from SotG so far:

-Anaheim will have some E3 tie-in, a big publisher presence, TB might be casting, and double the floor space
    -Spring Arena will have a team of dedicated analysts for post-game analysis (I didn't catch all the names, Sheth was one of them) (Also Grubby will be casting <3)
    -MLG thinks CBSi partnership is going to be very beneficial

• Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    Day 2 of Dhal program:

Played my five games. Actually went 4-1 for the night! I could have possibly gone 5-0 if I had done better in this game: http://drop.sc/161858

I scouted what initially looked like FFE, but noticed it was a gateway... then saw gas... Seemed suspicious, but I'm a nooblet and didn't think much of it, so I went back to my base, happy happy and took my minute 4 third. Make a pair of lings because my gut is telling me too and I see... 4gates. Oh shit. Cancel third, try to make defenses, but it wasn't enough. Died to a shitty 4gate.

I feel really nooby in hindsight, but to make sure it never happens again, any ideas guys?

Most satisfying win of the night: Guy picks random, spawns as Protoss. He wastes some pylons in some shitty cannon rush attempt, which I kill with extra zerglings. Then I go back to what I am doing. I was really #feelinglikejaziek the whole game, worried I was super behind and gonna get creamed. I tell myself to not deviate from what I know and continue with my 3hatch roach build. The result? Gateway pressure comes just after 8 minutes as expected but it was... kinda shitty. I had WAY more units than him, despite being super super behind (only like 45 drones instead of 60). A-moved to his base and won.

i actually won some zvzs too, which means my macro wasn't complete shit

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    RedOne wrote: »
    I scouted what initially looked like FFE, but noticed it was a gateway... then saw gas... Seemed suspicious, but I'm a nooblet and didn't think much of it, so I went back to my base, happy happy and took my minute 4 third. Make a pair of lings because my gut is telling me too and I see... 4gates. Oh shit. Cancel third, try to make defenses, but it wasn't enough. Died to a shitty 4gate.

I feel really nooby in hindsight, but to make sure it never happens again, any ideas guys?

An expand with a gateway isn't an FFE, so don't take the third.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nice job on your second day of the plan! :)

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

derp

the more you know

it's amazing how such simple things seem to evade you even after playing winning 250 games (got my queen portrait tonight)

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options

derp

the more you know

it's amazing how such simple things seem to evade you even after playing winning 250 games (got my queen portrait tonight)

the reason why a fast third is safe against ffe is because their gateway is later which means their core is later which means their warpgate is later and they can't do a big attack without warpgate

• Options
    edited April 2012
    now i cant play tomorrow or on thursday, because i dont get home until like 10pm, though if I'm feeling frisky I can maybe squeeze a game or two before bed

now i cant play tomorrow or on thursday, because i dont get home until like 10pm, though if I'm feeling frisky I can maybe squeeze a game or two before bed

roger, thank you dhal

RedOne on
    1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The thought of some Gold level player challenging @TannerMS to a game where he doesn't use the OP race is pretty funny

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    I beat, as Terran, a Random (Protoss) who tried to cannon rush me.

BMs me when I hold it easily, and quits and says "you got lucky i dont know how to play protoss"

messages me afterwards "1v1 re and ill smash you with my real race"

he queues Terran

I go for a mech expand like normal, he goes for cloak banshee. I deflect it, expand again. Three bases to one easy win.

• Options
    TannerMS wrote: »

BMs me when I hold it easily, and quits and says "you got lucky i dont know how to play protoss"

he queues Terran

I go for a mech expand like normal, he goes for cloak banshee. I deflect it, expand again. Three bases to one easy win.

I always go re as my "offrace" :D

ehehehehehehehehheheeheheh

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular

he queues Terran

I always go re as my "offrace" :D

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've been trying that 5-6 Rax vP build, but with a slight tweak. I've been opening Reaper expand so I can gab CShield and +1. It's actually quite impressive how many Marines you can get when you spend literally all your money on them. Only loss so far is to Robo expand into fast Collo.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    yay both accounts in masters now. went like 14-3 since last night so I knew it was coming. quite pleased.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    yay both accounts in masters now. went like 14-3 since last night so I knew it was coming. quite pleased.

Nice job!! You were frustrated with this game for a good minute there. Glad to see you're out of it

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Only loss so far is to Robo expand into fast Collo.

which is rare because gasless FE -> 3rax -> factory/medivac absolutely destroys robo expand into colossus

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    I've made an uncomfortable discovery after playing dozens of monobattle matches - controlling marines, especially in small groups, is pretty fun.

Also, in what might be related news, I hate myself and want to die. (doo doo)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Variable wrote: »

Nice job!! You were frustrated with this game for a good minute there. Glad to see you're out of it
    yeah I had a really shitty 2 or 3 weeks in game but Iv'e been coming out of it for about a week and here I am.

edit - I love controlling marines. I hate when I look away at the wrong second :(

Variable on
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a safe TvT opening which flows nicely into Marine, Tank play? I've tried lots of builds (recently Thorzains marine heavy FE and Drewbies 1/1/1 early expand) but none of them seem to fit quite right!

Also, I made it to gold! I have never been so proud of being average at something :D

• Options
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a safe TvT opening which flows nicely into Marine, Tank play? I've tried lots of builds (recently Thorzains marine heavy FE and Drewbies 1/1/1 early expand) but none of them seem to fit quite right!

Also, I made it to gold! I have never been so proud of being average at something :D

Either of those two would flow fine into marine tank.

its probably a problem with your macro which is making things seem a bit clunky an awkward if you try to mimic timings from a progamer.

I'll be online in a few hours time and if you are still around on the NA server then i'd be happy to show you some stuff.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Went 1gate robo against a FFE protoss

Took 2 immortals and as many stalkers as I could muster, then busted down his lame-ass wall, and kept warping in stalkers off my 3 gates.

One of the immortals survived to the end, I should check the replay to see how many kills it got.

• Options
    marty_0001 wrote: »

Took 2 immortals and as many stalkers as I could muster, then busted down his lame-ass wall, and kept warping in stalkers off my 3 gates.

One of the immortals survived to the end, I should check the replay to see how many kills it got.

A better method is to warp prism 4gate, or expand.

Bypass the cannons entirely - they can't have stalkers in time to shoot down the prism.

And if they make one forge and two cannons, thats 450 minerals - thats a free Nexus for you. And your Nexus is gonna do a hell of a lot more for you than his forge and cannons if you don't attack him.

Is always good to keep that in mind - if an opponent spends money on defense and you don't attack him, he's basically wasted that money.

• Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    Thanks for

its probably a problem with your macro which is making things seem a bit clunky an awkward if you try to mimic timings from a progamer.

I'll be online in a few hours time and if you are still around on the NA server then i'd be happy to show you some stuff.

Thanks for the offer but I'm in the UK so raving it up at work instead of on the ladder.

I think I probably just need to settle on a build for TvT, I tend to execute one build badly 3 times, die to a bunch of bad 1 base plays and blame the build. I like Thorzains build so will probably stick with that but just find it difficult to hold off early siege tank pressure.

• Options
    Thanks for

Thanks for the offer but I'm in the UK so raving it up at work instead of on the ladder.

I think I probably just need to settle on a build for TvT, I tend to execute one build badly 3 times, die to a bunch of bad 1 base plays and blame the build. I like Thorzains build so will probably stick with that but just find it difficult to hold off early siege tank pressure.

yea, just keep executing the same build

my zvz was TERRIBLE until I said fuck it and just started doing ONLY 14gas/14pool regardless of map, or whatever build my opponent was doing. Before I'd try ling/bane all ins one game, 15 hatch the next, 10 pools, etc... just stupid shit.

When i started opening 14gas/14pool every zvz, my win rate jumped from 30%~ to a nice clean 50%~

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    Pull scvs along with the marines. They can take as lot of hits

• Options
    edited April 2012
    What does this build from Genius actually beat? Just Nexus stuff?

NANIWA IS SO FUCKING SMART

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

TannerMS on
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Didn't expect that result! Clean 2-0 for Nani off some aggressive play. I feel like Genius kinda underestimated Nani a little. That aggressive blink in game 1, and the greedy robo->nexus in game 2.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    yay naniwa

white power

white power

• Options
    God fuck it, I hate the college metal the GOM music guy likes. It's almost as bad as kpop.

• Options
    HerringHerring Registered User regular
    From Ret's stream. He and his gf were discussing strong all-ins at the last tournament.

Pandi : "You should learn to all-in."
    Ret : "I've done all-ins before. It was raining, and a tuesday."

347259-1.png
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    Herring wrote: »
    From Ret's stream. He and his gf were discussing strong all-ins at the last tournament.

Pandi : "You should learn to all-in."
    Ret : "I've done all-ins before. It was raining, and a tuesday."

this is the funniest thing

and i have no idea why

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    also NANI

out-handsome whatever scrub terran you have to play next

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular

Bypass the cannons entirely - they can't have stalkers in time to shoot down the prism.

And if they make one forge and two cannons, thats 450 minerals - thats a free Nexus for you. And your Nexus is gonna do a hell of a lot more for you than his forge and cannons if you don't attack him.

Is always good to keep that in mind - if an opponent spends money on defense and you don't attack him, he's basically wasted that money.

Ooo wise words! Thanks!

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular

got a link to a good build order, or video of someone executing a warp prism 4gate properly? I'm never sure when to actually put down buildings compared to a regular 4gate.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I can't decide if Supernova is super ballsy or awful. Build your goddamn buildings in your own fucking base please

EDIT: What

TannerMS on
  • Options
    The sound of wonder in Tastosis' voices as they say "sky terran"

• Options
    AUTO TURRET MICRO

• Options
    well my predictions were 100% wrong

glad I tried to get everyone to read that article