As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get Your Ass to [Chat]

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Stuff that says "hey, this guy's gay, but whatever" and doesn't make his gayness some novelty because hey, look at how edgy we are, or hey, check out THIS guy! He's GAY! Let's talk about THAT!

I would be okay if there was a character who was ragingly gay or trans or something. If the world called for that, of course.

The problem is that we aren't at a place where a character like that is a deviation from a norm, rather than reinforcement as a norm.

I mean, can you think of a single trans character in any game?

Persona 4 has a case where they sort of hint at it maybe, but it's dismissed pretty quickly. Other than that I can't really think of any trans characters.

(I am less knowledgeable about games than most of you so I could be missing something obvious, of course.)

Poison from Final Fight, and other street fighter related games including Street Fighter X Tekken is either a post-op transexual or a 'new half' (female sexual organs up top but male sexual organs down below) depending on what country and/or specific release of the game we are talking about.

I just wiki'd her.

Then closed the page because there are children where I work :P

Oh god this is like the fourth link http://www.destructoid.com/damn-it-final-fight-s-poison-is-a-tranny-59850.phtml

I'm sort of upset now.

In any case, I kind of need to understand the background to see if it's done right. Right now all I can see is the fan reaction is... wrong.

Ah yes, definitely not safe to GIS. And yeah, the fan reaction ranges from actually pretty good to the rather predictably terrible.

Honestly I don't know too much about how it was handled in game because, when it was coming out back in 1989 such matters were quite over my 2 year old head. :P

I never once in my life heard someone comment in Poison in any way, shape or form at the arcade.

They were too busy mashing buttons and cursing.

desc on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    son of a whore, i might owe the guvmint money

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    One way I can perceive to be a safeguard against fetishization and towards normalization is to make one or both of the female characters not conventionally attractive, i.e., giant boobies, yet super skinny model running around war zones in stilettos and a thong type that so often populates lowest-common-denominator media. That way, one fetishized association with lesbianism--omg fuckin hot chicks makin' out!--gets normalized at the outset.

Femshep.

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil.

Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Chell from Portal.

It's entirely possible to have good-looking female characters without making them sexually exaggerated.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a blog post about a conversation between two video game character designers - a man and a woman - where it was clear that the male character designer didn't understand the difference between 'attractive' and 'sexualized.' He was increasing the voluptuousness of a character model because he thought that making boobs and hips bigger was the only way to make the character appealing for the audience.

This is tangential, but I think that chick from the new Bioshock game is a really great example of balancing some sexualization with other very endearing qualities to make a really attractive character design.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    is it a bad idea to carry my social security card around in my wallet?

doesn't it specifically say on the card not to?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    One way I can perceive to be a safeguard against fetishization and towards normalization is to make one or both of the female characters not conventionally attractive, i.e., giant boobies, yet super skinny model running around war zones in stilettos and a thong type that so often populates lowest-common-denominator media. That way, one fetishized association with lesbianism--omg fuckin hot chicks makin' out!--gets normalized at the outset.

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

It's entirely possible to have good-looking female characters without making them sexually exaggerated.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a blog post about a conversation between two video game character designers - a man and a woman - where it was clear that the male character designer didn't understand the difference between 'attractive' and 'sexualized.' He was increasing the voluptuousness of a character model because he thought that making boobs and hips bigger was the only way to make the character appealing for the audience.

This is tangential, but I think that chick from the new Bioshock game is a really great example of balancing some sexualization with other very endearing qualities to make a really attractive character design.

I haven't watched to much media from the game, but, on the other hand: she seems to constantly be a damsel in distress.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    Stuff that says "hey, this guy's gay, but whatever" and doesn't make his gayness some novelty because hey, look at how edgy we are, or hey, check out THIS guy! He's GAY! Let's talk about THAT!

I would be okay if there was a character who was ragingly gay or trans or something. If the world called for that, of course.

The problem is that we aren't at a place where a character like that is a deviation from a norm, rather than reinforcement as a norm.

Persona 4 has a case where they sort of hint at it maybe, but it's dismissed pretty quickly. Other than that I can't really think of any trans characters.

(I am less knowledgeable about games than most of you so I could be missing something obvious, of course.)

Poison from Final Fight, and other street fighter related games including Street Fighter X Tekken is either a post-op transexual or a 'new half' (female sexual organs up top but male sexual organs down below) depending on what country and/or specific release of the game we are talking about.

I just wiki'd her.

Oh god this is like the fourth link http://www.destructoid.com/damn-it-final-fight-s-poison-is-a-tranny-59850.phtml

I'm sort of upset now.

In any case, I kind of need to understand the background to see if it's done right. Right now all I can see is the fan reaction is... wrong.

Ah yes, definitely not safe to GIS. And yeah, the fan reaction ranges from actually pretty good to the rather predictably terrible.

Honestly I don't know too much about how it was handled in game because, when it was coming out back in 1989 such matters were quite over my 2 year old head. :P

I think it was actually a pretty awful thing, the way it was handled. If I recall correctly, Poison was a cis girl in Japan. Then they ported it to America, and either ESRB or Nintendo of America decided that they couldn't have you hit a girl in a game, so they needed some way to make it ok...

...further research indicates basically I'm right. So to recap: There is a game where you are hitting girls as one of the enemies, and that's not ok, so they changed it to hitting trans women instead.

Which is more than a little fucked up on more than one axis.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Stay Classy, Vancouver.
    is it a bad idea to carry my social security card around in my wallet?

doesn't it specifically say on the card not to?

Mine just says to not laminate it.

• Options
    if you lose your wallet, and your drivers license is in it as well as your social, it will be really irritating to get them all replaced because they all require ID

• Options

I just wiki'd her.

I'm sort of upset now.

What a douchebag.

This guy and Donald Trump should go die in a fire.

• Options

I just wiki'd her.

I'm sort of upset now.

I think it was actually a pretty awful thing, the way it was handled. If I recall correctly, Poison was a cis girl in Japan. Then they ported it to America, and either ESRB or Nintendo of America decided that they couldn't have you hit a girl in a game, so they needed some way to make it ok...

...further research indicates basically I'm right. So to recap: There is a game where you are hitting girls as one of the enemies, and that's not ok, so they changed it to hitting trans women instead.

Yeah, that is... something. But that's just her creation. How has she be handled since? I don't really know.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD

Maps.google.com NOW

change the kind of map to "quest"

• Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

I haven't watched to much media from the game, but, on the other hand: she seems to constantly be a damsel in distress.

Yeah, that was the other thing I was going to mention: her plot role is fairly regressive, as though she's useful in combat and the like, the focus of the entire plot is rescuing her.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD

Maps.google.com NOW

change the kind of map to "quest"

Welcome to a couple hours ago. :P

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Google maps, 35.782232,-115.664032, what is that?

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Speaking of awesome 8-bit things

http://abobosbigadventure.com/

A flash game that is a love letter to the NES games of olde.

Do not play it at work since there is some blood and "adult situations."

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    oh great, I did actually sell some stocks last year. fuck fuck fuck.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    40K HAS SOME RAD FEMALE CHARACTERS :D

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Also oh yeah American Muslim gets canceled because they are too normal but shahs of sunset well they are just crazy enough to go six seasons.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I just wiki'd her.

I'm sort of upset now.

Yeah, that is... something. But that's just her creation. How has she be handled since? I don't really know.

I dunno. That article I linked is 2007, so not well by the fans, but if nothing else I'm glad that the company is handling her as a transgendered individual rather than a mistake to recon. I'd have to look into her more to tell more :P

• Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

I don't think you know what that word means.

• Options
    cass wanna lol

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

Ooooh. Pretty.

• Options
    Google maps, 35.782232,-115.664032, what is that?

A Knight from Dragon Warrior

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Also oh yeah American Muslim gets canceled because they are too normal but shahs of sunset well they are just crazy enough to go six seasons.

The Shahs show makes them look bad. Not that they're alone with this in reality tv. Muslims being normal would piss off the racists who want their beliefs to be confirmed.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

Yes I do. She's a loli.

Unless you think somehow having cartoonish boobs makes her less of a loli, which it doesn't if you have gone through disgusting weeaboo phases like I have.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    oh great, I did actually sell some stocks last year. fuck fuck fuck.

uh oh

is it looking grim

• Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

Yes I do. She's a loli.

Unless you think somehow having cartoonish boobs makes her less of a loli, which it doesn't if you have gone through disgusting weeaboo phases like I have.

She's not like 5 years old. Lolis are like 5 years old.

• Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

Yes I do. She's a loli.

You haven't gone too far down that rabbit hole have you.

yGxvf.png
  • Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

Yes I do. She's a loli.

I've gone to the bottom.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Lolis = pedophilia, which is specifically the attraction to pre-pubescent children. The chick from Bioshock Infinite does not look like a child.

• Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

Yes I do. She's a loli.

I hope quizzy hasn't gone as far as me I want to still have hope for him. Although if we end up in japan at the same time I hold no promises for him.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

The Shahs show makes them look bad. Not that they're alone with this in reality tv. Muslims being normal would piss off the racists who want their beliefs to be confirmed.

There was a dude on Fox or whatever who made that exact complaint.

Basically, "They're so normal that people won't think they're terrorists!"

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I thought that the girl in Skyshock was an adult.

How old is she supposed to be?

• Options
    Look, I am the guy who is told about tubgirl goes, "oh wow that sounds awful" and five second later GISes it.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Eight year olds, dude.

• Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

Yes I do. She's a loli.

I've gone to the bottom.

I don't want to start a fight about perv cred but come on.

At the very least you have showed you're not familiar with 50% of loli manga.

yGxvf.png
  • Options

Femshep.

Chell from Portal.

Dude, she's a loli.

I uh...

Yes I do. She's a loli.

I've gone to the bottom.

I don't want to start a fight about perv cred but come on.

At the very least you have showed you're not familiar with 50% of loli manga.

I just file that under JB and not loli.

• Options
    I thought that the girl in Skyshock was an adult.

How old is she supposed to be?

she's actually a zygote with super powers

This discussion has been closed.