Options

Official Penny Arcadia country club chat

• Options
    SolomonPhoenixSolomonPhoenix New YorkRegistered User regular
    RodO wrote: »
    I'll be practicing up tomorrow and then give the tourney a shot. I've been spending my days at work completing course objectives and earning coins. I plan to buy a couple rounds on Banff this week and complete the objectives. I'm guessing five or six rounds should do it.

Six rounds minimum to unlock a course, since that's how many you need for the 100 pars. I rented some time on Banff, and damn, that's a beautiful course. Looking forward to getting it unlocked fully. I'll likely take my shots at the tourney today. Gold'ed out Torrey Pines but ugh, I hate that course. :)

• Options
    RodORodO Registered User regular
    Banff is the only course in the game that I've actually played a couple times. Has to be the first one I get lol

• Options
    Currently at even par for the champion's tournament. No caddies, no shot previews, no spin, Tour Pro difficulty, cloudy weather and winds over 20mph. I'm amazed I'm not hiding under a table currently. Tourney leaders have posted -63s. That's just inhuman.

• Options
    Yeah, I crapped the bed on my first round with a +6. Second round I remembered I had a pin that calmed the winds down but it didn't help a whole lot.

• Options
    Banff is the only course in the game that I've actually played a couple times. Has to be the first one I get lol
    Gotta admit I'm jealous of that. If it's anywhere near as amazing as it is in game I'd love to play a round there, and I'm terrible at golf RL. :)

• Options
    Steel FedoraSteel Fedora South CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Is this where all the cool kids are at?

<---- is vvv fedora.

I've been playing through the PGA tour season (tour pro, default settings) and may have found a glitch to speed up the free DLC courses.

I bought a round at Wailaie and the course downloaded to my HD, but I never played the round I was credited with. When I got to the Wailaie tourney in regular season mode, I was able to play all 4 rounds without having to pay extra coins or whatever.

I'm trying to recreate it tonight with the PGA national course, but if it works again, it means we can get 5 rounds for the price of one. Which is just shy of the six round minimum needed for gold.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Confirmed. This works.

As long as you have bought at least one round at a DLC course (and therefore downloaded it) before you get to that course's tournament in the single player "Road to the PGA" mode, you can play that course for 4 rounds (or however many yours is set for) without having to spend more coins. 4 free rounds of getting closer to gold mastery.

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    Nice.

• Options
    I think another idle purge is on the way, so probably best to get in a round or two or check in here if you want to keep your spot out of danger.

• Options
    Penny Arcadia has just reached 1-star Professional! Congratulations guys, and keep up the great work!

• Options
    OPArsenalOPArsenal Registered User regular
    I think another idle purge is on the way, so probably best to get in a round or two or check in here if you want to keep your spot out of danger.

Stalin would think this purge will be excessive.

On a more positive note, we will be having at least one, but no more than five spots open, so if there's anyone that wants in, apply and get your petition in so you get first dibs.

This space for rent
  • Options
    So who can give us more Daily tournaments? Gabe?

Also, do we want to set up a night where we play each other? I think that helps us advance in rep somehow...

• Options
    So who can give us more Daily tournaments? Gabe?

Also, do we want to set up a night where we play each other? I think that helps us advance in rep somehow...

I'd be up for that. Plus, if we can get 4 of us on we can go for the "Play Date" achievement which needs a 4-person group to play as one of the toddler characters, usually toddler Tiger.

Anyway, my nights are usually free after 8pm EST so I'm good for whenever.

• Options
    Okay, so for those of you who are trying to get all the DLC courses as fast as possible, here's how you use career mode to get gold mastery and unlimited rounds at courses and only have to pay for one round. (Usually 6000 coins.)

Normally, DLC takes a while to get gold mastery on because you have to get at least 100 pars, meaning that a person had to rent and play at least 6 rounds on that course. (And that assumes everything went well.)

However, if it's a DLC course used in the "career mode" tournaments in the Road to the PGA mode, if you buy a round at the course for 6000 coins, the course will download to the hard drive. (I've gone over this in a previous post, but just so we're all on the same page.)

Since the second or third tournament you play on the actual PGA tournament is the Open in Hawai'i, say you get a round there. So long as you have the course downloaded, whether you have a round rental to spend or not, you will be able to play in all of the Open in Hawaii events. If the goal is gold mastery, we need 100 pars. 72 can come from the tournament itself, and you can rack up 18 more when you play the round you've actually rented there. (Preferably on amateur from the red tees, so you can boost your numbers on the "5 eagles" gold mastery requirement.)

Where do you get the last 10 holes, you might ask? You use the pre-tournament events. Playing the first event against someone will give you the first two or three, but I recommend grinding out the needed holes on the sponsor challenge. Generally, this is 4-5 holes long. If you par the first 3-4 holes, then screw up the final hole (so you lose the event), you can credit those 3-4 pars to your course mastery goal. (Just make sure you allow the game to give you xp and go back out to the events calendar before staring again. I haven't tried it with restarts, but I don't think it works.)

Anyway, for the cost of one round and 3-4 restarts of the sponsor challenge to get 10 pars, you can get gold mastery on the following courses in your first year of career mode on the PGA tour:

WAIALAE (Open in Hawaii)
    PGA NATIONAL (The Honda Classic)
    SPYGLASS HILL (World Golf Championships)
    TPC SAN ANTONIO (Valero Texas Open)
    WOLF CREEK (Shootout Classic)
    THE OLD WHITE TPC (The Greenbrier Classic)
    OAKMONT CC (Worldwide Championship)
    COSTA NAVARINO (Season Showdown Classic)

Happy hunting.

• Options
    Speaking of Wolf Creek, has anyone been able to buy rounds on that course? Whenever I try to bring it up it just gives me the option to buy coins, not unlock or buy rounds. Same with Blue Monster, Emerald Dragon, and I think there's another course with the same condition. From what I understand, they were given out as pre-order bonuses from specific retailers, so that might have something to do with it, but has anyone heard anything about when they'll be available to rent?

• Options
    State of the Club:

We have reached 1-Star Professional this week, and are as of this posting 11% of the way to 2-star.
    As a whole, the club has scored:
    6629 Birdies
    790 Eagles
    4 Double Eagles
    18 Holes in One
    and we've played 13408 holes total. Wow!

We still need Head to Head matches vs. teammates to get to Gold level, so please post here with your opinions on Head to Head night (as suggested by Steel Fedora) for the club.

Congratulations to this week's Club Pros!

Week of 4/16

Club Champion
    SolomonPhoenix

Club Pros
    vVv Fedora
    ToochNasty
    Khinetic
    OpArsenal
    BigOilersFan

Good luck in the tournaments this week, everyone!

Congratulations also to our AssPros king justinian, MaximumDan16, Captain Steve0, Mellow Ninja, and Homersan.

Keep up the great work everyone!

• Options
    So what specific metric makes the club level up? Is it status points?

• Options
    So what specific metric makes the club level up? Is it status points?

Yep, it's mainly status points that level up the club. There are other challenges to "level" the club from Bronze to Silver to Gold to Platinum, which can be found in the Club Statistics/Accomplishments panel.

• Options
    According to a post on the EA forum, wolf creek and the other preorder bonuses will be available 45 days after release

• Options
    Whew looks like I just hung on as Club Pro. Didn't get a chance to play much the last couple days, but I'm going to get a round in tonight.

• Options
    Don't want to sound power mad, but is there any chance I could get one of the GM spots? Wouldn't mind setting up some tournaments for the club.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    american-flag-wallpaper.jpg
    The contents of this post were paid for by the Steel Fedora for GM SuperPAC and are in no way affiliated with the candidate.

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    In all seriousness though, I have no desire to have any sort of responsibility whatsoever, but I would like to have a few more club daily tournaments. However we make that happen, I am for.

So what's everyone's default setting? I tend to play my career modes on tour pro.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    *Camera fades in, showing a beautifully manicured green, where a happy multicultural family is having a picnic and several golden retriever puppies bound joyously through the bunker. "America the Beautiful" begins playing in the background as a voice-over plays over*

Family.

*Camera cuts to an impeccably dressed man shaking hands with various people*

Friendship.

These are the values championed...

*Two shots of the man holding up a Club Champion trophy*

...by Solomon Phoenix.

*Voice over changes to Solomon while the national anthem cuts in*

My opponent...

*Image of a well-Photoshopped Steel Fedora urinating on the 17th green at Augusta*

...promises "club tournaments" for all. Well, I need more than club tournaments, and for that matter I need more than Tour Pro difficulty. As I said at the tournament at Torrey Pines to Drive Against Cancer, which my opponent did *NOT* attend, I'm sorry to say, "I believe that we need freedom, and choice when it comes to our golf, and that, Mister Fedora, that is the definition of liberty."

*Shot of Solomon driving off the tee into a picturesque summer morning, the finale of the national anthem swelling in the background as the voiceover returns*

Solomon Phoenix for GM. *voiceover becomes quick and hushed* Paid for by the Country Club Champions For Truth.

I'm Solomon Phoenix, and I approve of this message.

SolomonPhoenix on
  • Options
    I set up some tournaments - an 18 hole daily on Crooked Stick and what should be an interesting 9 hole on Augusta with crazy conditions. I finally had to do a Google search to find out how to make tournaments. I'd assumed it was something only the creator could do, since I couldn't find anything in the game about it.

• Options
    Oh yeah and I'm open to any tournament suggestions. Just name the course and conditions you'd like.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    So I hope you all are having better luck with this game than I am. I bought the 360 version the other day and finally had time to try it last night.

Fresh out of the box, the EA service rejected my online code. "invalid or already used" WTF I'm not a fan of EA's policies here, especially when they just don't fucking work. I can't play a game I bought legally.

10 holes or so into the 2nd round, the game hard locks my 360. I actually had to unplug it to get a reboot. Checking their support forums, this problem seem pretty prevalent.

What I did get to play was actually pretty good and felt overall like they had some good innovation this year. The swing is much more like real golf (which I play). I couldn't figure out the tempo mechanic. No matter what I did, I was always "slow". The putting is pretty good, and I actually like the idea of being able to nudge the stick slightly to get a softer feel. However, even on my 50" screen and sitting 6 feet away, the putting meter is unforgivably small. Seriously, I feel like I need binoculars to see that thing.

No driving range or putting green? No tutorial mode? Even TW12 had instructional videos on how to swing. Now it's just sink or swim with David Feherty giving brief verbal instructions - and one of those had the audio completely garbled. I know today's generation is too lazy for manuals and instructions, but I still don't know how to get the tempo right. The online "manual" is just a laundry list of the new features and is no help at all.

I really want to like this version, but I'm finding it really tough to do so. Between the horrible bugs and corner cutting, it feels like it was rushed out the door.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh yeah and I'm open to any tournament suggestions. Just name the course and conditions you'd like.

Anything but sawgrass. I've been playing that course since I booted up my first ever golf game from DOS.

Also, lets play some H2H already! I want that damn Gold Mastery! (You can get it via a bunch of 3 hole matches, which is nice.)

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    Re: SolomonPhoenix campaign ad - Who the fuck wants a dwarf running shit?

El Guaco, I'm sorry that you've had issues. Are you in the country club? If not, as soon as I figure out how to reconnect to LIVE I'll have some spots open.

RodO - Thank you for the tournaments.

Fedora, I've got you on my friends list and I swear we will play golf one day.

Knickers are what the game's greats have traditionally used to cover their legs. All other draws are simply differing permutations of inferiority.

This space for rent
  • Options
    Just a reminder to Club Pros that the week's EA Tournament is nearly over and it's definitely one you want to get in on. Caddies are turned off, but it's set to Amateur, spin's on, green grids, much less frustrating than last week's nightmare. :)

OP: And hey, that *DWARF* placed in the top 60 out of a field of 200 in the Club Champs tourney! :) (Current leader posted a NINETY-FIVE under par. That's just insane.)

Fed: I should be around this weekend too to do up some golf. AC:R isn't holding my attention as well as I thought it would.

• Options
    Draws is how southern people say "pantaloons" for those of you in the Fop Community

• Options
    Five members that were inactive for 2 weeks have been removed.

Invite your friends while I wash away the blood.

This space for rent
  • Options
    KhineticKhinetic North CarolinaRegistered User new member
    I should be on tonight after 8 PM EDT

• Options
    Who tracked all this blood through the clubhouse?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    OPArsenal wrote: »
    Toddler Tiger's "fist clench/wave to the invisible crowd" move is creepy as fuck.

Did that actually happen and , if so, yikes.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    State of the Club:

As of this posting we are 99% of the way to 2-star Professional, meaning we pulled almost 100k status last week. Way to go, guys!

As a whole, the club has scored:
    8947 Birdies
    1102 Eagles (Almost 400 in one week!)
    7 Double Eagles
    19 Holes in One
    and we've played 17761 holes total. Wow!

We completed Silver level last week and now need 50 H2H matches to finish off Gold level, so please post here with your opinions on Head to Head night (as suggested by Steel Fedora) for the club.

Tournament Results:
    Firstly, thanks to BigOilersFan for setting up the tournaments last week!

Weekly Tournament Winner:
    BigOilersFan

Daily Tournament Winner:
    4/20: Khinetic
    4/22: SolomonPhoenix

Club Pro and Champion Tournament Results: Congratulations to our Pros, who brought home a combined $557,518 in prize money to the club. Looks like we're drinking imported beer this week. :)

Congratulations to this week's Club Pros!

Week of 4/23

Club Champion
    SolomonPhoenix (3rd week)

Club Pros
    vVv Fedora (3rd Week)
    King Justinian
    Khinetic (3rd Week)
    ToochNasty (2nd Week)
    OPArsenal (3rd Week)

Good luck in the tournaments this week, everyone!

Congratulations also to our AssPros BeppoBinBeppo, BigOilersFan, ToneLoc777, Homersan, and MaximumDan16.

Welcome also to our new members LawlessCube, Kanuck, and Erunama.

Keep up the great work everyone!

SolomonPhoenix on
  • Options
    Bumped down to AssPro? Damn you, OPA!

This week's tournament...hunting down OPArsenal!

• Options
    Bored, so I'm putting in Daily Tournaments ahead of time for the next week.

• Options
    EZEZ Registered User regular
    Is there still room or maybe a secondary club?

psn: Fueler325
    Steam ID:
  • Options
    EZ wrote: »
    Is there still room or maybe a secondary club?
    As far as I know there are currently two slots open. Message OPArsenal as he's head of the membership committee. :)