As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What would you do with $640 Million Dollars?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Silmaril wrote: »
    I've looked at calculating lottery odds from a standpoint of maximizing the chances of making a profit off a single ticket, putting ideas of huge winnings down in the infinitesimal bits where they go. I prefer the ones that have a ~10% chance to pay back the cost of the ticket plus $2 profit than ones that have at most a ~5% chance for that along with a 0.00000114% chance of Mighty Jackpot. Yeah, the more numbers played, the higher the latter number goes, but too small to matter very much while the former one takes a nosedive toward zero.

That said, with that much money, one of the first things I'd do is use it to generate an income stream that will persist even if the entire fortune is depleted. Thoughts of "I'll never need to work again!" are nice to entertain, but easy come, easy go, and when you've spent it all, you're not going to be going back to the ticket counter going, "Oops, I ran out. Can I have another jackpot please?"

If you can fritter away half a billion dollars, you don't deserve to have any money in the first place.

Jackpot winners fritter away fortunes all the time. Just because it's a couple hundred million (post-tax) instead of a couple dozen million just changes the time it takes to fritter.

Most buy a ton of houses, cars, and stuff to fill them, employ shady folk to manage (and steal) their investments, and end up living in trailer parks and in huge amounts of debt when they spent all the money and still have to pay the taxes on their possessions.

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    I would instantly become a hermit.

Spend my life out in a climate controlled converted missile silo, surfing the internet, writing and drawing whatever I feel like, and throwing money at people and causes I think are neat.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    well, with the lump sum you have the money in hand, and quite a lot of it so that you can actually invest or do whatever smart thing

still, though, the yearly payout for this jackpot would be goddamned incredible and nothing to sneeze at in the first place

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2012
    tugga wrote: »
    462 million is an astonishing amount of money if you really think about it

at the far-more-than-comfortable salary of $200,000 a year, you would make a mere in comparison $6-8 million your entire career

I just like thinking about winning at least 4 million dollars.

With 4 million I could make, at minimum, about 120k a year on bank interest alone. I'd be more than happy to live off that for the rest of my life, or use it to supplement actual income should I invariably get bored doing nothing.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I feel like I would rather take the yearly payout simply as a measure of self-control

I like to think I'm a cool-headed guy but if you straight dumped that much money on me at once I'm afraid I'd go completely off the reservation

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Ok, no. I've decided what I would spend the money on if I got this.

I would by a Supreme Court Justice.

Maybe two, depending on if there is a daily deal.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    im going to go buy 1 ticket

because i've never bought a ticket and why not, 1 ticket isnt that much

even though my odds of winning are lower than the odds of being mauled by a polar bear while crossing the street in manhattan

poo
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Part of me thinks winning this much money would make life incredibly boring after just a couple of years. Once you've bought all the shit you want and been to all the places you want to go to what is there left to do?

Right now I get super excited when I get to spend $60 on a new game and I only get to do that a few times a year.

• Options
    I've looked at calculating lottery odds from a standpoint of maximizing the chances of making a profit off a single ticket, putting ideas of huge winnings down in the infinitesimal bits where they go. I prefer the ones that have a ~10% chance to pay back the cost of the ticket plus $2 profit than ones that have at most a ~5% chance for that along with a 0.00000114% chance of Mighty Jackpot. Yeah, the more numbers played, the higher the latter number goes, but too small to matter very much while the former one takes a nosedive toward zero.

That said, with that much money, one of the first things I'd do is use it to generate an income stream that will persist even if the entire fortune is depleted. Thoughts of "I'll never need to work again!" are nice to entertain, but easy come, easy go, and when you've spent it all, you're not going to be going back to the ticket counter going, "Oops, I ran out. Can I have another jackpot please?"

If you can fritter away half a billion dollars, you don't deserve to have any money in the first place.

Jackpot winners fritter away fortunes all the time. Just because it's a couple hundred million (post-tax) instead of a couple dozen million just changes the time it takes to fritter.

Sabre, the second I finished reading your post, someone walked into the office and offered me a donut.

You have fritter powers.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i feel like if a person won, if they were smart they would not want to tell anyone, but that would be impossible

poo
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Part of me thinks winning this much money would make life incredibly boring after just a couple of years. Once you've bought all the shit you want and been to all the places you want to go to what is there left to do?

Right now I get super excited when I get to spend $60 on a new game and I only get to do that a few times a year.

You should find some way of destroying that part of you.

People who say money can't bring you happiness are either doing it wrong, or poor and jealous.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I'd tell my friends (or they'd figure it out when I started wearing gold clothes) but I know it'd get out. I think the winners are always found out in some way.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Just rotate where you go every few months.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    or they'd figure it out when I started wearing gold clothes)

LOOK CLOSER LENNY...

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options

man, you do it again

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Go all Nicolas Cage and buy a dinosaur skull

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

You should find some way of destroying that part of you.

People who say money can't bring you happiness are either doing it wrong, or poor and jealous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNBDQvQ-9c

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    i know i would for sure finish my degree, and possibly fund a small business to keep me busy

such as designing and building guitar amps, which always interested me, and would be easy to support with $Texas

• Options
    edited March 2012

But there are always new games, and always more useless shit to buy. In May, I'm going to hopefully buy one of the NECA Portal guns. If you're materialistic, happiness never fades...until the zombie apocalypse halts all consumer productions.

But then you can collect ears or something.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man, I would definitely buy a dinosaur skeleton. I want a velociraptor in my foyer...with a bitching fedora on it's head.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I always wanna play the lost numbers in the lotto, but then even if I won I'd have to split it with a few hundred other nerds and that's just no fun at all.

There was a Mega Millions draw a while back that was 1 or 2 off from the Lost numbers and a whole bunch of people split the prize
    Funny how the only way to actual "play" the lottery game is to try to pick numbers nobody else would pick

mkc.png
  • Options
    Fuck that, I'll just fund the creation of Jurassic Park in my backyard but with better fences and less Dennis Nedry.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    i feel like if a person won, if they were smart they would not want to tell anyone, but that would be impossible

They're calling it "the largest lottery jackpot in world history", so the odds of remaining anonymous are pretty much zero. In most states, it IS zero. The media would be at your door the same day you turned in the ticket.

If I should win the jackpot, do I have the option of remaining anonymous as far as the public and the media are concerned?

In most states, lottery winner information is public domain, therefore it is public information. Publicized information normally includes the jackpot winner's name, city, county, game in which they won, date won, and the amount of the prize.

After you win the jackpot, we recommend seeking the professional guidance of a good lawyer and accountant to see if there are ways of maintaining as much privacy as possible— before contacting the lottery and/or claiming the prize, and possibly even before letting friends or family know. You may be tempted to yell to the rooftops in glee about your newfound fortune, but you will probably end up regretting that decision once the excitement of the win calms down, and you are left with a continuous stream of lawsuits and requests for money from those who want a piece of your win.

To remain fully anonymous, you should win a prize of no more than $600 or so that you can redeem at the local Fred Meyer or something instead of having to go down to the lottery offices and fill out a form.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Larlar wrote: »

But there are always new games, and always more useless shit to buy. In May, I'm going to hopefully buy one of the NECA Portal guns. If you're materialistic, happiness never fades...until the zombie apocalypse halts all consumer productions.

holy shit

• Options
    tugga wrote: »

holy shit

Yes.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I always wanna play the lost numbers in the lotto, but then even if I won I'd have to split it with a few hundred other nerds and that's just no fun at all.

There was a Mega Millions draw a while back that was 1 or 2 off from the Lost numbers and a whole bunch of people split the prize
    Funny how the only way to actual "play" the lottery game is to try to pick numbers nobody else would pick

The other way to be good at Lottery is to never pick a specific set of numbers that are meaningful to you, unless you want to play every draw for the rest of your life
    Because if you stop playing and then your numbers come up and you find out about it you're legally obligated to kill yourself

mkc.png
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Well first I'd get a Ferrari. Then I'd probably pop by to the bespoke clothier in Dallas and get a new dinner suit made. Also, health insurance that doesn't suck, and a place to live in Dallas or Houston or Austin.

Beyond that I'd just stick it all in my bank account and live off the interest while I kept writing. I could self-publish my book with that much money, but it would rob me of the satisfaction of landing a publishing deal. I'd keep that open as a last resort.

I guess I'd write a big check to my university too, along with some money for an ASD charity.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    i mean you could sit there and spend quite a bit of money on doing things, but when you're done/bored think about how many games or movies that you havent ever played or finished that you could watch/play in your brand new bitchin entertainment room

if i am successful in any way shape or form in life i know my house will be decked out with the most top of the line music/audio system to pipe my vast music collection into any room in my home

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    To remain fully anonymous, you should win a prize of no more than $600 or so that you can redeem at the local Fred Meyer or something instead of having to go down to the lottery offices and fill out a form.

Damn, UK players have it a hundred times easier then

If I hypothetically moved to America to play their giant lottery maybe I'd consider moving out of America if I won their giant lottery

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    The only thing I'd really change about my daily life would be to buy some nice clothes (though I do love wearing tshirts and jeans) and a bigger condo.

Though whoever was selling it to me wouldn't even bother to negotiate because they would know how much money I had and I'd be dicked. Maybe I'd have a friend negotiate it for me.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options

The other way to be good at Lottery is to never pick a specific set of numbers that are meaningful to you, unless you want to play every draw for the rest of your life
    Because if you stop playing and then your numbers come up and you find out about it you're legally obligated to kill yourself

This is exactly why I stopped playing specific numbers a few years ago. Not because it happened, but just in case. I don't want to give luck an easy opportunity to make me hate the rest of my life.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    I just go in and get a quick pick. I've never played specific numbers.

• Options
    Man remember that episode of Fresh Prince where Will and Carlton convinced Geoffrey that he won the lottery?

Basically that episode taught me to confirm my winnings before I told everyone to fuck off.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Man remember that episode of Fresh Prince where Will and Carlton convinced Geoffrey that he won the lottery?

Basically that episode taught me to confirm my winnings before I told everyone to fuck off.

i think every sitcom ever made has this episode

with the same lesson

• Options
    with my winnings i would hire new writers for the big bang theory

and blacklist the current ones

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    I would revoke the past, present, and future existence of the band sublime.

• Options

This is exactly why I stopped playing specific numbers a few years ago. Not because it happened, but just in case. I don't want to give luck an easy opportunity to make me hate the rest of my life.

I'm locked in for life, but it's ok
    Think of the children

mkc.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Honestly, with that kind of cash, I'd probably go straight off the deep end. I'd have to organise for it to be invested, and just have a bit of the interest paid out to me each year, and the rest going to charity or something, or I'd end u living on a mega-yacht with my collection of classic cars and my fleet of private jets.

And that would just be a stupendous waste. That much money can build schools and hospitals all over the world...

• Options
    I just go in and get a quick pick. I've never played specific numbers.

One of the things I miss about Ontario is Encore. BC Extra sucks.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Honestly, with that kind of cash, I'd probably go straight off the deep end. I'd have to organise for it to be invested, and just have a bit of the interest paid out to me each year, and the rest going to charity or something, or I'd end u living on a mega-yacht with my collection of classic cars and my fleet of private jets.

And that would just be a stupendous waste. That much money can build schools and hospitals all over the world...

fuck that shit I got shoes to design

ikbUJdU.jpg