As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT (kinda the same though) THREAD OF RIIIIIIII

MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
RiftLogo_v03_RGB_1200x800-586x390.png
1.8 Infernal Dawn
Hey folks this is the Rift thread if you haven't noticed for the Dynamic Fantasy MMORPG. :P
What is Rift?

Rift is an MMORPG set in the fantasy world of Telara, which is the focal point of different planes (worlds). Through the actions of the death god Regulos, these worlds have now invaded Telara, causing rifts to open. Opposing Regulos are two factions: the Guardians and the Defiants. The conflict between these two factions serves as another source of tension and gameplay. Players have the role of Ascended: resurrected soldiers whose task is to defeat the forces of Regulos and cleanse Telara forever of his threat.
Factions!
The Guardians

guardiancolor.jpg

The Guardians are the chosen of Telara’s gods, the Vigil. After the tyrant Aedraxis called forth power from the Plane of Death and devastated Telara, the Vigil chose the greatest souls who fell that day to be harbingers of the next era. A golden age awaits, but Telara must first be saved — by deed, by example, and by the sword. Its people must be redeemed, its corruptors purged, before the world can truly be safe.
The Defiants

defiantcolor.jpg

The Defiant do not care whether the gods abandoned the world or not. To them, this entire planar convergence disaster is the gods' fault in the first place. Indeed, as soon as things went from bad to worse, the gods suddenly and inexplicably disappeared.

The Classes

riftclasses1.jpg

The Rifts

As you understand there are Rifts that open up throughout the land of Telara. It's the job of both factions to maintain the balance and close these rifts to prevent Regulos from destroying the world. You are also stopping the other 5 dragons from doing the same; as Regulos is only the dragon of Death.
Plane of Death

planesdeathmasthead.jpg

The Plane of Death is an endless, flat expanse of dust and bleached bone. Shadowy tendrils slither across the horizon, while vast obsidian spikes tear from the ground to claw at skies of purple and gray. The few clouds are ragged and pale, and the occasional flash of lightning sets everything into stark relief.
Plane of Air

poaheader.jpg

The Plane of Air is made up almost entirely of its primary element: an endless, turbulent sky. Cloudscapes replace landscapes, roiling and writhing, crashing together like continents. Air elementals and djinali ride the lightning that arcs between thunderheads, while rocs cruise the twisting wind, feasting on winged serpents.

Plane of Earth

poeheader.jpg

The Plane of Earth is a desert of multicolored sand, pierced by massive spikes of crystal and stone. Rivers of molten metal flow down mountains that rise beyond the sky, cooling sometimes into continents of alloy in a sea of dust. Rock formations defy gravity as tiny necks of stone support boulders that span between horizons, dotted with gems as big as houses.

Plane of Fire

pofheader.jpg

The Plane of Fire is a broken and cracked expanse of sharp rocks and blasted mountains, valleys obscured by smoke and ash. Volcanoes rise thousands of feet into the methane sky, spewing rivers of molten rock into seas of fire that the plane’s denizens walk upon as if it were harmless soil.

Plane of Life

polheader.jpg

There is no ground in the Plane of Life, and there is no sky. Both are overgrown with plants as exotic as they are deadly. Roots clash like enemy armies, shoving and scrambling, while vines bulge together, sprouting thorns to stab each other. Mere survival in this plane means no coexistence or compromise, only constant competition.

Plane of Water

powheader.jpg

Be thankful that the planes are closed to mortals, for mere moments of gazing into the Plane of Water would snap the sturdiest psyche. This is the plane of nightmares, the bottomless depths of its endless sea mirroring the darkest corners of the mind.
Penny Arcade Guilds

Currently the PA folks play on 3 servers.

The PvE guild is Knights of Arcadia, Defiant, on Faeblight (dis guild is dead)

The PvP/E guild is The Endless Court(the Six mouth was absorded), Defiant, on Gnarlewood, no wait no. DEEPWOOD

The EU PvE guild is Planary Arcadia, Defiant, on Argent(dis guild is also dead)

If you want an invite to any guild when you start playing type in the chat window /join PennyArcade and ask for an invite.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
Malkor on

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    nobody plays this game anymore give it up malkor

the dream is dead

2x39jD4.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    That's what Magneto said to Charles 50 years ago...

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    Magneto: always correct

2x39jD4.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    monsterzero is still chugging away

i will probably be back for 1.8 if only to dick around in the beginning of ID a bit

reposig.jpg
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    How is the game these days, still pretty populated? I played a lot from launch for a few months, then got distracted by other games.

• monsterzeromonsterzero Registered User regular
    I WILL LIVE FOREVER

but please come back and play, all my cool level headed friends in the game have quit (cept for auth, who is a wiener).

ategev i need you as my other non-retarded mage officer.

kwoaru-wan kinobi, you are my only hope.......

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    It's actually super awesome and the server I'm on (Deepwood) seems definitely very populated. I've been enjoying it immensely.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    I'm almost positive my account is expired by now, I cancelled way earlier in the month

I might come back later but I'm feeling super done with MMOs right now

2x39jD4.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Darkening Deeps on my level 28 mage. I'm healing.

I struggle like hell to keep the tank alive.

Tank goes "You really can't tank without a shield in this game"

I inspect. Two-hander. No tank spec.

Faces were palmed.

Mage heals are difficult I'm finding. I'm 40 and main healing as Chloro is terrifying. Apparently it gets easier at 50 from what I hear.

Yeah, I constantly go shiiiiiiit and then a Nature's Touch just happens to heal the tank for a third of his health.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to 1.8, but I'm spending more time in SWTOR for now.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Mage heals are difficult I'm finding. I'm 40 and main healing as Chloro is terrifying. Apparently it gets easier at 50 from what I hear.

Oh the stuff I wrote up at the ass end of the last thread was for 50

pre-50 you need to be sure you have synth and rotate between keeping up radiant spores, and using Nature's Touch, Vile Spores, and Ruin as your main healing, with bloom/flourish/essence surge as needed

2x39jD4.jpg
    Deepstrike Mines: tank with 1300 hp. Cleric that refuses to turn off his DPS Mien that reduces his threat by 50%.

/votekick

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Oh hey, tank stories, I have one of those from this weekend....

Was playing faux-support in random experts on my cleric along with a guildie healing, and in one, we noticed the tank was A) taking a ton of damage, and B) occasionally dropping aggro off mobs. After a couple of wipes, I inspect and find the tank sporting DPS gear in half his slots and a -threat trinket.

Bailing out early never felt so justified.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    My sub for this finally lasped over the weekend.

Rift is a very friendly, but really boring game right now.

Yeah, I'm not really feeling it. I got a 60-day time card for my birthday, got my 43 warrior up to 50 and managed to get an almost raid-ready DPS set and a decent tank set (not quite T2 expert ready).

Then I started a mage and had tons of fun with that instead, so I think I'll get her to 50 and do some experts. But I probably won't stay once those 60 days run out, and by then Diablo 3 is right around the corner anyway.

Rift is a quite competent MMO, but this style of MMOs just isn't for me any more. Gimme GW2 already.

edited April 2012
    Been theorycrafting a mage support build. How's this? Archon/Chloro, skipping Synthesis and tank-focused healing for general group healing, with Archon buffs and stuff.

edit: and zero points Dominator for third soul, for Squirrelify.

Echo on
    Fought Akylios for the first time Monday night with the goons. Fuck, thats a fun fight. We were able to get to him with 30 minutes left for the night, and we just got to Phase 2, which was tough in itself. But we should be able to get through the first 10 bosses tonight and then work on Aky all Monday night.

If you havent seen Aky before, take a gander at a youtube fight. There's all sorts of fun stuff going on in there.

@hoodiethirteen
    Phase 5 on my server: 2400/100000

I have no idea how they thought that would get completed on a PVE server.

Yeah, that would be why they extended it a week. Our server had trouble too. We'll probably finish it by the weekend though.

@hoodiethirteen
  • rustyzipporustyzippo San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thought I'd give Rift another shot. I'm in as Sargris

rustyzippo on
    Steam:Reign48
    Congrats! It's a good game, and Trion's got more features in 1 year than SOME developers who've had their game in development for a 6 or 7 years!

Also, a new raid is coming down that is fucking amazing looking. Watch the german trailer though, it's pretty cool

@hoodiethirteen
    3600/100000

woo

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    Trion is literally giving away copies of Rift in the PAX swag bag.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Rift is a quite competent MMO, but this style of MMOs just isn't for me any more. Gimme GW2 already.

Yeah, Trion has done a really great job of making Rift one of the best it's been done before MMOs out there. But that's also my problem...it's been done before.

I played for a year, had a great time...but...

RIFT 1.7 Hotfix #16 - 10:30am PDT 4/6/12 [NA] - 1:00am GMT 7/4/12 [EU]
    GENERAL
    * World Event: The current phase objective goal has been reduced.
    * War Trophy drops are now more likely in Warfronts.
    * The skies over Terminus have a new weather forecast, with a few less heavy clouds.

Enjoy!

@hoodiethirteen
    Oh thank (gods/science, pick as appropriate depending on faction)

I've heard reports that lots of servers have just been insta-granted the quest, sooooo

@hoodiethirteen
    The hotfix isn't out in EU yet, but we're at ~3700 (3.7%) on my server. That goal totally needed an adjustment.

Well....this happened.

1a0P4h.jpg

• Lord_AetosLord_Aetos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh nose?

First time I have seen that sort of bug though, good find.

Lord_Aetos on
    Hah. There was a bug at launch that gave people Pinocchio noses.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Free RIFT key if anyone wants it: YNRS-YAEA-DFMG-QAZP-VQK5

http://www.riftgame.com/start

Dinged 45 on my mage and did instant adventures.

And wow, that's really fast XP. Ran around for 90 minutes with guildies and a group, about 10 people total, doing IAs for the molten gold currencies. Got two levels out of it.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I started playing again on Faeblight. My wizard is 31 and my warrior is 37 (both defiant), if anyone wants to resub and join me. Right now its pretty boring without my friends playing.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Funny, I was just thinking yesterday I should take another look at this, so I installed it, and it made me update the security on my account, and in return for that it gave me 4 days free. So, I'll probably tool around a bit, move my characters of Sunrest (which is now a trial server?), test my new graphics cards, etc.

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Dinged 45 on my mage and did instant adventures.

And wow, that's really fast XP. Ran around for 90 minutes with guildies and a group, about 10 people total, doing IAs for the molten gold currencies. Got two levels out of it.

Yeah, once you hit 45, you can be 50 within a few hours.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, don't remember anything about playing this game, and all my chars have had their skill points refunded, so I don't know how I had them talented. Don't remember rotations, etc.

So, rolled up a new mage, going Necro/Lock, getting back into the groove. Then, logged into my 12 Cleric, talented Justi/Sham/Warden, proceeded to bash faces in. One free day left, now.

This is such a great game, and so much great stuff is coming down the pipe with 1.8... But I've got other games to play. Trion will always have my money though.

@hoodiethirteen
This discussion has been closed.