As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rex: Fall of an Empire] Game 01 - End of Round 6, Game Over!

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    deploy 2 to Sai Morgai Industrial Sector

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Egos pays Hacan 2 Influence to deploy 2 units to Sai Morgai Industrial Sector. (Letnev Influence 2 --> 0, Hacan Influence 4 --> 6) Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability.

jakobagger is up next for maneuvering.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    That is... an interesting move.

I suppose we should talk plans since I don't think Jolnar can realistically interfere with us

Ideally, we should go for the win this turn. I'm hoping like hell one of you drew the superweapon and/or the last energy shield... Someone who can attack and beat Hacan should attack Adminus, keeping in mind her cards

I can theoretically win at all 3 of mine plus Adminus... if we're willing to risk me playing my 6 & 7 strength guys and a possible traitor causing a loss

@jakobagger, it is your turn for Maneuvering.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    My cards are kind of shitty, so I don't think I should take the fight with Hacan.

Deploy my five guys to Val Hamech Finanial Distrit.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I can confirm his cards are shitty.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    I have access to interne on my phone morning and evening, so I can partake again in plots within plots

Excellent. Do you want to take on Hacan at Adminus, or shall I? Or are we waiting until next turn, with the caveat that Letnev is going to be attacking Mecatol South

I assume jolnar will reinforce at your fights. I can go for hacan.
    Can't get that many units there I think, 3 free deploys in Central I can move and about 4 from reserves

Are you confident you can win? If not I can try with my 6 or 7 guy and see if he's a traitor

Question: since I have troops in the Civ Spaceport, do I get the 4 movement bonus?

edited July 2012
    jakobagger pays Hacan 5 Influence to deploy 4 units and 1 Mechanized unit to Val Hamech Financial District. (Lazax Influence 19 --> 14, Hacan Influence 6 --> 11) Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability. (As a note, Alegis, you have two more units in reserves, with the remaining units in casualties or already deployed.)

Phyphor, you're up for deployment. You may move your units up to three spaces as per your racial bonus, but not four - Civilian Spaceport was in dispute at the start of the Phase and not under control.

EDIT: Current map:

Rex-PAGame01-R06-3.png

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Do we know if hacan has attack cards? With only troops of 7 I might not win it. Can keep a few troops there in turtle mode although I'd better keep them in center I'd say

Maybe a bioweapon, I've got an Ionizer though so meh. Let's try it, worst case is I lose a card I probably don't need, you can keep your troops for next turn, I'm at full strength now anyway

Move all from Holonet to Adminus. Deploy 3 to Imperial Palace

Phyphor moves 3 units from Holonet Central to Adminus Imperialis and deploys 3 units to Imperial Palace. Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability.'

Alegis, it's your turn for maneuvering.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Move all from Galactic central to Imperial navy base

Alegis moves 4 units from the Galactic Council to the Imperial Navy Base.

MrBody, you're up to close out the Maneuvering phase.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Move all units from Mecatol power south to Scholara Imperialis.

Deploy 7 units to Adminus Mecatol.

Not even contesting it huh?

Round 6

Round 6: Phase 4: Maneuvering Phase Summary

BobCesca deploys 5 units to Adminus Imperialis. (Hacan Inf --> 4) Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability.
    Egos deploys 2 units to Sai Morgai Industrial Sector (Letnev Inf --> 0, Hacan Inf --> 6) Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability.
    jakobagger deploys 4 units and 1 Mech. unit to Val Hamech Financial District. (Lazax Inf --> 14, Hacan Inf --> 11) Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability.
    Phyphor moves 3 units from Holonet Central to Adminus Imperialis and deploys 3 units to Imperial Palace. Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability.
    Alegis moves 4 units from Galactic Council to Imperial Navy Base.
    MrBody moves 3 units from Mecatol Power South to Scholara Imperialis and deploys 7 units to Adminus Mecatol. (Jol-Nar Inf --> 19, Hacan Inf --> 15) Alegis deploys a free unit to the Galactic Council as per his racial ability.

Current Situation

Rex-PAGame01-R06-4.png

Letnev-40px.pngBarony of Letnev - Egos
    Influence: 0

Deployed Units: 2 Units
    Reserve Units: 17 Units
    Available Leaders: Spy Master (Strength 1), Legate (Strength 2), Magistrate (Strength 3)
    Casualties: 1 Units, Sovereign (Strength 4), Overseer (Strength 6)

Strategy Cards: 6
    Traitor Cards: 4

Allied with Jol-Nar and Hacan
    Lazax-40px.pngLazax Empire - jakobagger
    Influence: 14

Deployed Units: 4 Units + 1 Mechanized Unit
    Reserve Units: 0 Units
    Available Leaders: Centurion (Strength 2), Praetor (Strength 3), Prefect (Strength 3), Chancellor (Strength 5), Mirritar (Strength 6)
    Casualties: 11 Units + 4 Mechanized Units

Strategy Cards: 3
    Traitor Cards: 1

Allied with Sol and Xxcha
    Sol-40px.pngFederation of Sol - Phyphor
    Influence: 3

Deployed Units: 18 Units
    Reserve Units: 2 Units
    Available Leaders: Commander (Strength 2), Captain (Strength 3), Colonel (Strength 5), General (Strength 6), Admiral (Strength 7)
    Casualties: 0 Units

Strategy Cards: 4

Allied with Xxcha and Lazax
    Xxcha-40px.pngXxcha Kingdom - Alegis
    Influence: 13

Deployed Units: 16 Units
    Reserve Units: 0 Unit
    Available Leaders: Ambassador (Strength 5), Diplomat (Strength 5), Emissary (Strength 5), Envoy (Strength 5), Orator (Strength 5)
    Casualties: 4 Units

Allied with Sol and Lazax
    JolNar-40px.pngUniversities of Jol-Nar - MrBody
    Influence: 19

Deployed Units: 11 Units
    Available Leaders: Engineer (Strength 1), Analyst (Strength 2), Preceptor (Strength 5), Technocrat (Strength 5)
    Casualties: 9 Units, Factorum (Strength 4)

Strategy Cards: 1

Allied with Hacan and Letnev
    Hacan-40px.pngEmirates of Hacan - BobCesca
    Influence: 15

Deployed Units: 12 Units
    Available Leaders: Negotiator (Strength 1), Trade Captain (Strength 2), Smuggler Lord (Strength 4), Merchant Prince (Strength 5)
    Casualties: 8 Units, Master of Lies (Strength 3)

Allied with Jol-Nar and Letnev

Round 6: Phase 5: Battle Phase

There will be two battles this round in Adminus Imperialis and Civilian Spaceport. The battle in Adminus Imperialis will be resolved first, with Hacan acting as attacker. Alegis, you may restrict a card from BobCesca's battle plan, then MrBody may request one of Phyphor's initial battle commitments be revealed. Alegis has conditional orders to follow Phyphor's request for card to restrict.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Did either of you pick up an energy shield this round in the first 5 cards?

Always go with whatever the ally wants for my ability.

Sol has an energy rifle and ionizer.

I didn't pick up an energy shield. Keep in mind discards might have been reshuffled

I'll also go with what the ally wants to block.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    No energy shields for me, only useless/situational cards.

Damn that means either Egos or Bob holds it... hmm

Oh right, card blocks go first. No Energy Rifles for you

MrBody or BobCesca, care to request one of Phyphor's combat declarations to be made public?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Reveal troops committed

@Phyphor, how many units are you planning on committing to the battle?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Oh, oops. 2

Alright, time for you two to give me your battle orders.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012

BobCesca reveals his initial commitments of 4 units led by the Merchant Prince (Strength 5), playing a defense card. Phyphor reveals his initial commitments of 2 units led by the General (Strength 6), playing an offense card. Strategy cards are committed; no traitors are played.

BobCesca reveals her Strategy card, an Atmospheric Ionizer. Phyphor reveals his Strategy card, a Mercenary. Total strength is 9 Hacan, 11 Sol; Phyphor wins the conflict. MrBody moves 5 units to the casualties and discards Atmospheric Ionizer. Phyphor moves 2 units to casualties and discards Mercenary.

We're now ready to resolve the battle in Civilian Spaceport. Phyphor/Alegis, you may first declare a card that MrBody cannot play, then MrBody, you may request Phyphor to reveal one of his battle committments.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    No Energy Rifles for you

Ahhhhhh I think it's over. Reveal leader. Unless Letnev has a traitor I don't think we can win this.

My most powerful leader I guess. Commit 1 troop.

GG

You have two most powerful leaders, but whatever. Let's just keep rolling. Going to be making a few assumptions here...

Round 6

Phyphor reveals his initial commitments of 2 unit led by the Colonel (Strength 5), playing both an offense and defense card. Phyphor reveals his initial commitments of 1 unit led by the Technocrat (Strength 5). Strategy cards are committed; no traitors are played.

Phyphor reveals his Strategy cards, an Energy Rifle and Atmospheric Ionizer. MrBody's leader is killed, and Phyphor collects 5 Influence. (Sol Influence 3 --> 8)

Total strength is 7 Sol, 1 Jol-Nar; Phyphor wins the conflict. MrBody moves 1 unit to the casualties. Phyphor moves 2 units to casualties and returns his strategy cards to his hand.

Round 6: Phase 5: Battle Phase Summary

Adminus Imperialis: Won by Phyphor, losing 2 units and Mercenary to BobCesca's 5 units and Atmospheric Ionizer.

Civilian Spaceport: Won by Phyphor, losing 2 units to MrBody's 1 unit and Technocrat leader. (Sol Inf --> 8)

Round 6: Phase 6: Collection Phase

MrBody collects 6 Influence with 3 of his units in Adminus Mecatol, and jakobagger collects 8 Influence with 4 of his units in Val Hamech Financial District. All players gain 2 more Influence to their pools. (Hacan Influence 15 --> 17, Letnev Influence 0 --> 2, Lazax Influence 14 --> 24, Sol Influence 8 --> 10, Xxcha Influence 13 --> 15, Jol-Nar Influence 19 --> 27)

Round 6: Phase 7: Bombardment Phase

The top card of the Bombardment deck is flipped: the value is a +5. jakobagger plays Intel Report to prevent the dreadnought fleet from moving (+0); the card is discarded after use. The Bombardment deck is reshuffled and the role of first player is passed to Egos.

Current Situation

Rex-PAGame01-R06-5.png

Letnev-40px.pngBarony of Letnev - Egos
    Influence: 2

Deployed Units: 2 Units
    Reserve Units: 17 Units
    Available Leaders: Spy Master (Strength 1), Legate (Strength 2), Magistrate (Strength 3)
    Casualties: 1 Units, Sovereign (Strength 4), Overseer (Strength 6)

Strategy Cards: 6
    Traitor Cards: 4

Allied with Jol-Nar and Hacan
    Lazax-40px.pngLazax Empire - jakobagger
    Influence: 24

Deployed Units: 4 Units + 1 Mechanized Unit
    Available Leaders: Centurion (Strength 2), Praetor (Strength 3), Prefect (Strength 3), Chancellor (Strength 5), Mirritar (Strength 6)
    Casualties: 11 Units + 4 Mechanized Units

Strategy Cards: 2

Allied with Sol and Xxcha
    Sol-40px.pngFederation of Sol - Phyphor
    Influence: 10

Deployed Units: 14 Units
    Reserve Units: 2 Units
    Available Leaders: Commander (Strength 2), Captain (Strength 3), Colonel (Strength 5), General (Strength 6), Admiral (Strength 7)

Allied with Xxcha and Lazax
    Xxcha-40px.pngXxcha Kingdom - Alegis
    Influence: 15

Deployed Units: 16 Units
    Reserve Units: 0 Unit
    Available Leaders: Ambassador (Strength 5), Diplomat (Strength 5), Emissary (Strength 5), Envoy (Strength 5), Orator (Strength 5)

Allied with Sol and Lazax
    JolNar-40px.pngUniversities of Jol-Nar - MrBody
    Influence: 27

Deployed Units: 10 Units
    Available Leaders: Engineer (Strength 1), Analyst (Strength 2), Preceptor (Strength 5)
    Casualties: 10 Units, Factorum (Strength 4), Technocrat (Strength 5)

Strategy Cards: 1

Allied with Hacan and Letnev
    Hacan-40px.pngEmirates of Hacan - BobCesca
    Influence: 17

Deployed Units: 7 Units
    Available Leaders: Negotiator (Strength 1), Trade Captain (Strength 2), Smuggler Lord (Strength 4), Merchant Prince (Strength 5)
    Casualties: 13 Units, Master of Lies (Strength 3)

Allied with Jol-Nar and Letnev

At the end of Round 6, Sol controls 4 strongholds while Xxcha holds the remaining one.

For holding all strongholds at the end of the round, the Lazax, Sol, and Xxcha alliance is declared victorious!

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Sol rush!

Good game, sol + xxcha + lazax is pretty powerful. Though if we hadn't invited lazax we probably would have won earlier

This game went a bit rockier than I had hoped, but we made it through. From what I have heard, Dune / Rex has a pretty tricky learning curve, and so I'm not exactly sure how representative this game is in terms of typical experiences. Thanks to everyone for sticking through until the end, the pace was a lot slower than I had expected. For anyone interested, I should be putting signups for a standard Twilight Imperium game up next week, just to cap the series off.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    I underestimated Sol before this game (actually wanted to play jol-nar but eventually decided against it). Did good job there with sol grabbing spice and not getting hampered too much about the deployment area restriction.

I was actually hoping a bit to draw the game out and see if I would dare to go for xxcha prediction (as MrBody surmised, it was round 8 Hacan - but I did this because I couldn't really anticipate how well everyone would play, if I knew a good player was confident in his race choice I might have done things differently). If I had attacked south and gone in turtle mode I could have done this but it would have been too obvious.

MrBody mentioned it in the boardgame thread: the strength from sol+xxcha+lazax is that the other side's money making machine depends on deployments and sol and xxcha can cope without deployments. Lazax gets money as long as cards are being played, Sol+allies have to work for it but can manage it from the spice.

I like xxcha. dependable leaders, a bit slow to get into if you want to save money on deployment but you can draw it out with turtle mode. Just not a good race to make changes early game, as Sol and Hacan nearly forced me to do by letting Vertroue almost win by accident. If I'd done that I'd have been in terrible shape. Dangerous to have as allies though with the prediction system.

Thanks for hosting MrBlarney! I think we could have done this faster with a bidding routine (after a card bid look up the next player who should bid and mention him/her, keeping full/passed players into account etc). More conditionals would have worked too but are more tricky, have to be careful not to let bidding discussion devolve into an automatic ebay bidding system. In any case, 4 months wasn't too bad :)

Alegis on